Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Xbox One General Discussion - Part 2 (Please Read 1st Post)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,507 ✭✭✭runawaybishop

dbit wrote: »
    None Argos will only stand over 12 months , Looks like the 100 euro option is all you can do now , as opening it yourself will void warranty but then there is the age old hair dryer trick to remove the warranty void seal and possibly open it yourself for some testing , only thing i would be looking at , or only reason i would open her would be to affix heat paste or something simple if she has been in heat intensive area for that time . MS will do a fair job for that money and although you will get a reworked board or GPU or HD , whatever the case maybe you still need it fixed.

This is not correct. Argos are obligated to repair, refund or replace a faulty product. The 12 month warranty is in additional to your statutory rights.

simarconi wrote: »
    Haha sorry, let me rephrase that. Microsoft want me to pay €100 to have it repaired. My warranty with them expired one month ago.

I have my receipt from argos. Fingers crossed they overlook that it has been over a year since purchase. Would they swap just the console or should I bring the power brick, controller etc?

12 month warranty is in additional to your statutory rights, as i mentioned above. Do not deal with MS, deal with Argos as your contract is with them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,322 ✭✭✭dbit

I am almost sure MS will try to push 1 year only and i agree 1 year for that type of purchase is total Ball0x , some of us sank 500 quid into the purchase this Generation and 1 year is no where near standing over the product , WatchDog UK got onboard when 360 went to **** at launch and then , only then did M$ stand up and announce 2 years warranty ( IT cost them a **** load too)

Hmmm i am interested to see if Argos will replace outside of 12 months retailers are normally ruthless with console returns, outside of 12 months

I am almost sure MS will try to push 1 year only and i agree 1 year for that type of purchase is total Ball0x , some of us sank 500 quid into the purchase this Generation and 1 year is no where near standing over the product , WatchDog UK got onboard when 360 went to **** at launch and then , only then did M$ stand up and announce 2 years warranty ( IT cost them a **** load too)

The warranty is not important, EU and Irish law supersede it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,202 ✭✭✭maximoose

Forget dealing with MS, and whatever you do, do not open it up yourself!

As said above, Argos' 12 month warranty is in addition to your statutory rights. Sale and supply of goods act has you covered, 15 months is not a reasonable lifespan for a console.

Wouldnt hurt to give them a bell - ring another outlet so as not to trigger alert to the fact ? get the definitive line from the retailer. Tv's and such will now offer 2-3 year but as far as i was aware consoles still pushed 12 months.

Wouldnt hurt to give them a bell - ring another outlet so as not to trigger alert to the fact ? get the definitive line from the retailer. Tv's and such will now offer 2-3 year but as far as i was aware consoles still pushed 12 months.

Why would you ring another outlet? What makes you think a 400 euro console is expected to last 12 months?

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,297 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

In fairness, Argos are one of the best companies to deal with for this sort of thing, if you're entitled to an exchange they'll likely give it to you.

I thought statutory rights only allowed you 28 days return policy if not happy with product , but warranty for laptops , consoles and so on still only remained at 12 months unless a flaw was publicly announced with a product ?

• Advertisement

The manufacturer/retailer warranty is not really that important though. They are quite laughable in most cases. Irish law offers much greater protection.

Back in the RROD/YLOD ****fest days the general line coming from small claims court was 4-5 years is a reasonable life expectancy - I doubt that has changed.

His contact is with Argos and they are obliged to deal with the faulty product. If he goes to MS now and has it repaired, he'll be down money needlessly and if another problem comes up in the future - his protection with Argos is gone.

Why would you ring another outlet? What makes you think a 400 euro console is expected to last 12 months?

Ha ha , I agree i just remember the 360 launch and dealing with it was a pain in the ass. 12 months got rammed down alot of unhappy peoples throats , until it was announced that yes a design flaw existed .

Ring another outlet , propose situation over phone and ask directly !

I thought statutory rights only allowed you 28 days return policy if not happy with product , but warranty for laptops , consoles and so on still only remained at 12 months unless a flaw was publicly announced with a product ?

You are confusing a warranty and statutory rights. A warranty is in addition to your basic rights. It can only add to them, not take anything away.

No flaw needs to be publicly announced, a console is not expected to last only 12 or 15 months. EU law states most devices should be 2 years minimum but Irish law is even more on the consumers side and states around 5

years.
    Ha ha , I agree i just remember the 360 launch and dealing with it was a pain in the ass. 12 months got rammed down alot of unhappy peoples throats , until it was announced that yes a design flaw existed .

Ring another outlet , propose situation over phone and ask directly !

Some retailers will try and wiggle around their obligations. If you do not know your rights you can easily be shafted by them.

maximoose wrote: »
    The manufacturer/retailer warranty is not really that important though. They are quite laughable in most cases. Irish law offers much greater protection.

Back in the RROD/YLOD ****fest days the general line coming from small claims court was 4-5 years is a reasonable life expectancy - I doubt that has changed.

His contact is with Argos and they are obliged to deal with the faulty product. If he goes to MS now and has it repaired, he'll be down money needlessly and if another problem comes up in the future - his protection with Argos is gone.

Still I'm very interested in the outcome regardless. I m not saying they wont I'm just going to be surprised if they do.

You are confusing a warranty and statutory rights. A warranty is in addition to your basic rights. It can only add to them, not take anything away.

No flaw needs to be publicly announced, a console is not expected to last only 12 or 15 months. EU law states most devices should be 2 years minimum but Irish law is even more on the consumers side and states around 5

years.

Some retailers will try and wiggle around their obligations. If you do not know your rights you can easily be shafted by them.

Jesus ive a shed load of gear i must get " replaced " teee heee .

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭Sleazy Gonzales

Thanks for all the advice. I'll head over to argos shortly and report back when i'm home

Yeah let us know how you get on, like bishop said - some like to try and wiggle their way out of it!

Irish sites have nothing on it but EU's got your back .
    http://www.eccireland.ie/popular-consumer-topics/buying-goods-and-services/

Have not worked in electronics retail in ireland in over 20 years nice to see from the EU at least there are better rules in place .

Wriggle out of this lols :-
    EU rules which protect consumers when buying goods and services are valid no matter where in the EU the goods are purchased and are enforceable for at least 2 years from delivery of the goods. In Ireland, there is limitation period of 6 years within which a consumer can bring an action against a trader for ‘the lack of conformity’. For example, if you order a laptop which turns out to have less memory than it is supposed to have, the problem may not be obvious to you immediately, but it is still an inherent fault in the product which the trader must remedy if you discover it within the limitation period.

Bet you they will try to stamp 12 months on it .

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,361 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

Irish sites have nothing on it but EU's got your back .

Have not worked in electronics retail in ireland in over 20 years nice to see from the EU at least there are better rules in place .

Wriggle out of this lols :-
    EU rules which protect consumers when buying goods and services are valid no matter where in the EU the goods are purchased and are enforceable for at least 2 years from delivery of the goods. In Ireland, there is limitation period of 6 years within which a consumer can bring an action against a trader for ‘the lack of conformity’. For example, if you order a laptop which turns out to have less memory than it is supposed to have, the problem may not be obvious to you immediately, but it is still an inherent fault in the product which the trader must remedy if you discover it within the limitation period.

Might have to favourite that page dbit, could come in very handy indeed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,133 ✭✭✭GottaGetGatt

Lads, I think my One is dying. System keeps freezing. I've tried hard resetting etc. What do you think my chances are of Argos exchanging it for me? Bought on the 17/12/13

Microsoft 100 squid off me

Thanks
    Get onto the chat and make up some BullSh!t that your a loyal customer who's being on xbox live for years and that surely they'll cover the cost of the repairing of the console.

They gave me a brand new 360 a few years back when i got the red rings of death and they couldn't fix it.I was about two years over warranty and because they saw I'd being with them for a few years they gave me a new console apparently. Sound ole skins, Microsoft are!

Get onto the chat and make up some BullSh!t that your a loyal customer who's being on xbox live for years and that surely they'll cover the cost of the repairing of the console.

They gave me a brand new 360 a few years back when i got the red rings of death and they couldn't fix it.I was about two years over warranty and because they saw I'd being with them for a few years they gave me a new console apparently. Sound ole skins, Microsoft are!

nononono. Contract is with Argos not MS, if you bypass MS then you have no comeback later.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭Stone Deaf 4evr

Ah, but you'd talk the knickers off a nun, you old charmer you. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,133 ✭✭✭GottaGetGatt

Ah, but you'd talk the knickers off a nun, you old charmer you. :D

A dumb priest never got a parish stone. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭dubaicentral

Microsoft provide a 2 year manufactures warranty in Ireland. The warranty in the uk is 1 so all the consoles destined for this general region come pre loaded with 1 year attached to the serial number.

If you have proof of purchase give xbox support a ring tomorrow and they will ask you to email them the receipt and they will adjust the warranty and will service it for free if there is a fault.

The website states one year but the support staff are running off of policy that states 2 years. Worth a shot.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,736 ✭✭✭ch750536

Under Irish law you are protected for up to 6 years under the sale of goods act. I have used this many times for items such as toasters, laptops, TV's and phones.

Did you win ?? I thought you were coming back with the outcome ? Hope you won .

ch750536 wrote: »
    Under Irish law you are protected for up to 6 years under the sale of goods act. I have used this many times for items such as toasters, laptops, TV's and phones.

I really didn't know this, I'm like "agggh FFs" I've lost loads of reclaim opportunities

Years and years ago back in the days of black and white I used to work for one of those wriggle out of it retailers "Sound Store" / "Compustore" and the likes we would stop short of knifing a customer who wanted money or replacements outside of 12 months .

Im shocked to see the customer being backed heavily by consumer standards . the world just became a nicer place.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

I have my receipt from argos. Fingers crossed they overlook that it has been over a year since purchase.

Your statutory rights trump whatever Argos policy may be. Goods are to be of merchantable quality, & 13 months is by no means acceptable. You've a two year warranty on electronics in Ireland afaik. If they get picky, as what the best address is to use for legal correspondence, ask for the managers name, & take it to the small claims court which will cost you €15.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭Stone Deaf 4evr

Myrddin wrote: »
    Your statutory rights trump whatever Argos policy may be. Goods are to be of merchantable quality, & 13 months is by no means acceptable. You've a two year warranty on electronics in Ireland afaik. If they get picky, as what the best address is to use for legal correspondence, ask for the managers name, & take it to the small claims court which will cost you €15.

purely as a matter of interest, what happens in the small claims court? do they essentially just act as a referee and enforce your statutory rights? i.e. - they ensure you get a replacement if thats what you're due? do you have to attend in person, and if so, whats the story with covering your associated costs?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement