Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Xbox One General Discussion - Part 2 (Please Read 1st Post)

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

purely as a matter of interest, what happens in the small claims court? do they essentially just act as a referee and enforce your statutory rights? i.e. - they ensure you get a replacement if thats what you're due? do you have to attend in person, and if so, whats the story with covering your associated costs?

You attend in person, & a representative from the company will attend too. The person initiating the claim will speak first & outline their case (in this case the op would state they bought a €400 games console x months ago, it has now failed, and the retailer has told me they're not interested in sorting the issue with me. The op would then state they feel under consumer law, specifically the sale of goods & supply of services act that they feel the retailer has a duty and obligation under law to resolve the issue). The retailer rep will then speak theur case (if they even show up), & the judge will then decide. The only costs to the person are the €15 or so it costs to initiate the claim.

Short of proving the console has a fault through misuse, there's no case of defence imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 714 ✭✭✭feelgoodinc27

I take it the 6 year thing doesn't apply to accidental damage?

Also, is there anything that can be done for a RROD Xbox 360 now, failed 3 years ago, bought 8 years ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,507 ✭✭✭runawaybishop

Also, is there anything that can be done for a RROD Xbox 360 now, failed 3 years ago, bought 8 years ago.

No, repair/refund etc after accidental damage isnt a statutory right. It may be part of a warranty though.

RROD xboxes wouldn't be covered any more.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,322 ✭✭✭dbit

LOL send it over here ill rip the X clamps off of it and have it lickety split in no time . xclmap removal kits are like 3 quid on ebay just some pan heads and washers , use a heat gun and all done fixed noda bodder.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭Stone Deaf 4evr

highly unlikely i would think. you'e no way of proving when It RROD'd so for all they know it could have happened this morning.

• Advertisement

Nope :)

Not a chance, even 5 years would likely be classed as an acceptable life span by the judge.

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭Sleazy Gonzales

dbit wrote: »
    Did you win ?? I thought you were coming back with the outcome ? Hope you won .

Sorry, I only made it out to Argos this morning, from where I have returned victorious :)

At first I was told to call MS because it was bought over 12 months ago, so I calmly asked for the manager and explained my situation to her. She was very helpful and after a minute or two said she would replace it.

Did you win ?? I thought you were coming back with the outcome ? Hope you won .

Sorry, I only made it out to Argos this morning, from where I have returned victorious :)

At first I was told to call MS because it was bought over 12 months ago, so I calmly asked for the manager and explained my situation to her. She was very helpful and after a minute or two said she would replace it.

Excellent, & in fairness to Argos too, they seem to have really great customer service.

simarconi wrote: »

Great result fair play to them for not trying to knife you.

Still i will clutch onto that url i found RE EU law and consumer rights and beat any retailer to death with it if I need it in the future.

• Advertisement

Haha, I had that page open on my phone at the time. Thankfully I didn't have to flash it like a Garda badge

So gamer tag swap BF HL ? lolz .

• Registered Users Posts: 3,736 ✭✭✭ch750536

Myrddin wrote: »
    Nope :)

Not a chance, even 5 years would likely be classed as an acceptable life span by the judge.
    I had a laptop replaced after 4 years when the mobo died.

Myrddin wrote: »
    Your statutory rights trump whatever Argos policy may be. Goods are to be of merchantable quality, & 13 months is by no means acceptable. You've a two year warranty on electronics in Ireland afaik. If they get picky, as what the best address is to use for legal correspondence, ask for the managers name, & take it to the small claims court which will cost you €15.

Up to six years.

purely as a matter of interest, what happens in the small claims court? do they essentially just act as a referee and enforce your statutory rights? i.e. - they ensure you get a replacement if thats what you're due? do you have to attend in person, and if so, whats the story with covering your associated costs?

None of my 6 claims have got to court. They all settled once small claims court papers were delivered.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,202 ✭✭✭maximoose

ch750536 wrote: »
    Up to six years.

It's six years after purchase you are entitled to make a claim, not necessarily 6 years warranty as a given. It can come down to what the individual judge on the day rules as an acceptable lifespan.

Glad you got sorted anyway simarconi, in fairness to Argos I always do hear great things about their customer service.

Its mad the vendors wont do over 1 year and EU law states then retailers have to stand over products for longer but vendors will not, For massively large chains that can buy in bulk at very low costs ( and absorb this loss) its easy to see why all our village or local high street electronics stores have practically vanished.

This law is simple, look at it this way.

Retailers have to stand behind what they sell. If they sell stuff that is crap and not worth the money, they have to answer for it. This encourages them to stock good quality items.
    If they want to argue in court they need to justify the short life of the product. Who will stand on record that their laptops shouldn't work after 3 years?

So gamer tag swap BF HL ? lolz .

Don't have BF yet, but add me anyway Red Eyed Ripp3r
    maximoose wrote: »
    Glad you got sorted anyway simarconi

Thanks man

• Registered Users Posts: 3,276 ✭✭✭readyletsgo

Quick question. What are the chances of Microsoft announcing a newer slimmer/smaller model of the xbone at e3 this year?

• Advertisement

Quick question. What are the chances of Microsoft announcing a newer slimmer/smaller model of the xbone at e3 this year?

I would think theres a pretty good chance myself.

The guys on the giant bombcast had an interesting idea recently - linked to the fact that MS are still releasing updates like the external hard drive support for the 360.

An xbox 360, with no dvd drive - to act as a set top box as such. I think it'd be a great idea myself. A massive library of games, acessories to avail of - plus it'd sidestep them losing money on the used games front.

the 360 has some great media apps in the form of skygo, netflix etc too - even moreso in the states.

Also, the 360 is surely due a big price drop by now, its overpriced at present when you can get an xbox one for €329

If they could hit the sweet spot of €100 to €129, I reckon it'd fly off shelves.
    In fact, it seems like such a no brainer, that it'll probably never happen:p

• Registered Users Posts: 5,420 ✭✭✭FAILSAFE 00

There was a paper thin version released at launch that only 1 lucky person got.

Oh, the envy :pac:

Xbox-Scam.jpeg

I highly doubt we'll see a slim version pop up for a good while. Recent interviews with Microsoft's head of Xbox Phil Spencer seem to point towards a focus on first party games at this years E3.

Xbox-Scam.jpeg

I highly doubt we'll see a slim version pop up for a good while. Recent interviews with Microsoft's head of Xbox Phil Spencer seem to point towards a focus on first party games at this years E3.

Gefaw gefaw I remember that pic lolz.

Slim - the new box would have to be win10 complient and thats not even in beta for xbox yet

Lol I remember that poor sap getting the 'paper thin' xbone, hilarious.
    Slim - the
    new box would have to be win10 complient and thats not even in beta for xbox yet

So, you think they haven't been working on a slim xbone to coincide with win10 For the past two years? So I should just go for the 'baby got back' one?

What's the controller charge like?

Xbox-Scam.jpeg

jaysus you've some memory, That was classic alright.

So, you think they haven't been working on a slim xbone to coincide with win10 For the past two years? So I should just go for the 'baby got back' one?

What's the controller charge like?

Battery life on these is great . I didnt bother with the play and charge kit and just got one of those wall chargers and 4 battery efforts.

win10 isnt even on beta for the xbone so yes, i don't think a slim one is anywhere near ready to rock. I wouldnt hold out for a slim myself if i were in the market for a console.

Slims will be have sparrow spit instead of solder to hold the bits together, lets not forget Xbox360. They are kinda getting the hang of heat awareness in the bone - as per the 360 mess.

Have had a peak at the Win 10 msdn but did not know the bone integration wasn't yet available , prolly waiting on bone dash update too though.

• Advertisement

Woohoo! I got the Master Chief Xbone and Sunset Overdrive this morning from Smyths for €370. I think I got a good deal in that.

So now I have all the systems lol, not enough time.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement