Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Xbox One General Discussion - Part 2 (Please Read 1st Post)

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,959 ✭✭✭diusmr8a504cvk

CatInABox wrote: »
    No, different organisations with-in Microsoft, but the much of the same mentality that went into Windows 8 went into the Xbox One. It was, however, also a product of it's time.

Right when the Xbox One was in the early stages of development, the Wii was annihilating the competition, and Microsoft had just released the kinect, the fastest selling accessory in history, which had a huge profit margin on it. Looking at that from a business point of view right then and there, you'd have to think that motion control was THE new frontier of consoles.

Couple that with the data that showed the Xbox 360 was now used as much for media consumption as it was for games, you can easily see why they decided on a console with more media options, with the kinect as the primary control. In hindsight, it's a terrible idea, but that's with hindsight.

I'd say a fair few people in Microsoft knew a year before release that they'd missed the mark, but by that stage it was already way too late. Senior managers were committed to this vision, and it had to succeed for the betterment of their careers, so it was announced and released as is. They're gone now, in one of several massive purges that they've gone through since.

I don't really play multiplayer games anymore but it must be a struggle. Gone are the days when you could very quickly set up a party, kick/mute people, send a message. The fact that they said you can play your Xbox One offline but essentially you can't as you need internet for achievements to pop and even small details like the BLU-RAY PLAYER have to be downloaded and have updates.

it would be naive to think they didn't see the use/install base of XBMC on original xboxs (had to be modded) as an indication of where to go. I know 7 people in my old job way back then that bought and paid to have modded original xboxs when there was a price drop on them prior to the 360 launch to run them as media clients on their tv. Much has changed since then tough in that an average phone will do what a modded xbox could back then and more.

I hated their focus pre-launch of one with their want to be the focus of your living room thing..... but I think they have come pretty close to achieving it ...... the problem is for them is smart tv's / plex for samsung etc etc do it better and cheaper with more options

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

I don't really play multiplayer games anymore but it must be a struggle. Gone are the days when you could very quickly set up a party, kick/mute people, send a message. The fact that they said you can play your Xbox One offline but essentially you can't as you need internet for achievements to pop and even small details like the BLU-RAY PLAYER have to be downloaded and have updates.

It's gotten a lot better than what it was at the start, but there are still problems with some parts of it.

Also, as far as I know of the situation. the Blu-ray player needing to be downloaded is an accounting trick that they've used, basically it stops them having to pay a full license fee until you actually download it and play a blu-ray in the drive.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

LIGHTNING wrote: »
    Sounds like pure non-sense, In fact Vista and Win 8 are perfectly fine Operating Systems. Vista gets grief but in was more due to the crappy drivers that hardware manufactures were pushing at the time and low end hardware. Put Vista on a modern PC and its perfectly OK.

The same goes for Windows 8, its faster and more secure than Windows 7 but the neck-beards gets themselves all twisted up about the Metro UI. The one just needs a couple of updates to get itself sorted. Remember what the original Xbox 360 was like at launch time??

This is also true. Vista on a decent machine was a totally fine experience, and an awful lot of the problem were third party driver related. It's almost as if the manufacturers believed that they could play hard ball with Microsoft over the future security of Windows, and Microsoft made the right call to lock everything down.

Windows 8.1, on the other hand, is by far the best OS that they've ever made. There is a total failure on one side with the metro environment, but that is something that can be ignored on a day to day basis, and the rest of the OS is clearer better than 7 in every area.

The One has improved steadily and rapidly since release. I see no reason to believe that they're going to stop with the updates any time soon, in fact, after Windows 10 gets put onto the One, I'd imagine the updates will be coming even faster.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,058 ✭✭✭shuffles03

Quick Poll: The Witcher 3 or Dragon Age Inquisition?

Just finished GTA V and looking for a good RPG.

• Advertisement

shuffles03 wrote: »

I'm really enjoying Dragon Age at the moment, haven't played the Witcher yet.

If you have EA access, you can try Dragon Age for 6 hours for free.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,799 ✭✭✭MiskyBoyy

I'm currently playing The Witcher 3, never played any of the previous ones and I ****ing LOVE it! :D So I would highly recommend! Although, Dragons Age digital was on sale for only $30, not sure if gone now or not...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,959 ✭✭✭diusmr8a504cvk

This is also true. Vista on a decent machine was a totally fine experience, and an awful lot of the problem were third party driver related. It's almost as if the manufacturers believed that they could play hard ball with Microsoft over the future security of Windows, and Microsoft made the right call to lock everything down.

*Windows 8.1, on the other hand, is by far the best OS that they've ever made.* There is a total failure on one side with the metro environment, but that is something that can be ignored on a day to day basis, and the rest of the OS is clearer better than 7 in every area.

The One has improved steadily and rapidly since release. I see no reason to believe that they're going to stop with the updates any time soon, in fact, after Windows 10 gets put onto the One, I'd imagine the updates will be coming even faster.

Are you high? Windows 8 is horrible whatever about Vista. A marketplace on a laptop is stupid, everything about it is horrible including that menu with all the apps. As phones progress they're becoming more and more like Computers but Windows 8 went ahead and started evolving into a phone. Windows 10 from what little I've seen looks like a good hybrid, still wouldn't leave Windows 7 in a hurry though.

• Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭Raymond Pest

Witcher 3. Dragon Age is good but gets tedious and boring after a while, witcher is good for around 100 hours of gameplay with a fantastic story

Are you high? Windows 8 is horrible whatever about Vista. A marketplace on a laptop is stupid, everything about it is horrible including that menu with all the apps. As phones progress they're becoming more and more like Computers but Windows 8 went ahead and started evolving into a phone. Windows 10 from what little I've seen looks like a good hybrid, still wouldn't leave Windows 7 in a hurry though.

Different strokes and all that then. I'd happily continue this conversation in the windows forum, but here isn't the place for it.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

Windows 8 with classic shell installed is the best OS out there.Do away with that metro ui and you have an OS that's better then 7.

I always used 7 up until I was shown 8.1 with classic shell.Its on all my pc`s now.

Witcher 3. Dragon Age is good but gets tedious and boring after a while, witcher is good for around 100 hours of gameplay with a fantastic story

Currently on 72 hours with Dragon Age at the moment, I'd say that either of those games will keep you occupied for a while.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,431 ✭✭✭rottie 11

Hellrazer wrote: »
    Windows 8 with classic shell installed is the best OS out there.Do away with that metro ui and you have an OS that's better then 7.

I always used 7 up until I was shown 8.1 with classic shell.Its on all my pc`s now.

What's this classic shell about ? I have a windows 8 laptop and Im in 2 mind about it.

rottie 11 wrote: »
    What's this classic shell about ? I have a windows 8 laptop and Im in 2 mind about it.

Classic Shell.

It's pretty good, don't use it myself, but it's the first thing that I put on my friends laptops.

Currently on 72 hours with Dragon Age at the moment, I'd say that either of those games will keep you occupied for a while.

What are your thoughts based on 72 hours?

What are your thoughts based on 72 hours?

Really enjoying it.

Combat can feel a little weak at times, as it's more on the RPG end of the scale, but other than that, everything else is really strong. Storyline is excellent, as are the characters involved. Settings are kinda stereotypical fare, but are probably some of the best realised that I've seen so far.

I also like the keep upgrading/war side of it, even if it's just a tiny mini-game really.

Really enjoying it.

Combat can feel a little weak at times, as it's more on the RPG end of the scale, but other than that, everything else is really strong. Storyline is excellent, as are the characters involved. Settings are kinda stereotypical fare, but are probably some of the best realised that I've seen so far.

I also like the keep upgrading/war side of it, even if it's just a tiny mini-game really.

You've convinced me! Just need to clear a couple of trophies in GTA first

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

Rather than read back through the thread again..anyone got the link to the argos harddrive that's recommended.Up to 90 % full so I'd better get one this weekend!!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,799 ✭✭✭MiskyBoyy

• Registered Users Posts: 190 ✭✭Ould Mr Brennan

Any thoughts on lifeless planet? Just seen it in the store for 20 euro. Everybody seems to be really happy with the witcher. Can't wait to get it :)

• Advertisement

Any thoughts on lifeless planet? Just seen it in the store for 20 euro. Everybody seems to be really happy with the witcher. Can't wait to get it :)

Not the game I thought it was going to be , short and very linear. It's not a bad game but not worth the asking price.

• Registered Users Posts: 190 ✭✭Ould Mr Brennan

LIGHTNING wrote: »
    I got it for 2 euro and even that I didn't think it was worth it. Quite a poor game, real shame I was looking forward to it for ages.

That's unfortunate. Looks like a story that had massive potential aswell :(

• Registered Users Posts: 3,655 ✭✭✭El Inho

hi all...just wanted to say hi. Getting the one tomorrow.

Going for an assasains creed bundle with kinect. Going to grab the tv tuner too, possibly pick up gta 5 and wolfenstein.

upgrading from the 360.

any tips for newbies?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭Stone Deaf 4evr

El Inho wrote: »

Going for an assasains creed bundle with kinect. Going to grab the tv tuner too, possibly pick up gta 5 and wolfenstein.

upgrading from the 360.

any tips for newbies?

Disconnect from The internet when you're installing games off a disc, otherwise it'll try and download patches etc and can take forever. Set the console to always on so that it can download them while you're not using it .

El Inho wrote: »

upgrading from the 360.

any tips for newbies?

Hope you enjoy your new Xbox One.

Get EA Access.

If you've a Live Gold subscription, then you can get your free Games With Gold here.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,273 ✭✭✭Gizmo55

Has anyone else had the issue of their left thumbstick drifting upwards? I was onto Microsoft but it's a Day One controller so not under warranty anymore.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,431 ✭✭✭rottie 11

Gizmo55 wrote: »
    Has anyone else had the issue of their left thumbstick drifting upwards? I was onto Microsoft but it's a Day One controller so not under warranty anymore.

My left stick is totally bolloxed. It usually does the opposite of what I want lol

• Registered Users Posts: 3,655 ✭✭✭El Inho

Hope you enjoy your new Xbox One.

Get EA Access.

If you've a Live Gold subscription, then you can get your free Games With Gold here.

Thanks.

Guys in the bargains thread alerted me to ea access as I want to upgrade my fifa. Great deal! Be telling everyone in work about it! Going to pick up gta and wolfenstein too.

Games with gold is brill too. Loved it on 360.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭Stone Deaf 4evr

My day one had the same issue after about a year, I ended up just replacing it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,936 ✭✭✭rizzla

Never a problem with the thumbstick, even though I've put alot of hours aggressively hitting quarter circles in Killer Instinct. Do sometimes have a sticky A button and squicky triggers.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement