Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Xbox One General Discussion - Part 2 (Please Read 1st Post)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,202 ✭✭✭maximoose

namloc1980 wrote: »
    Bad on that pricing the xbox hololens will be €500+.

Hololens is easily gonna be somewhere around €700 at least IMO.

Serious piece of kit :eek:

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,363 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

Right, after sleeping on it, here are some thoughts on the Xbox E3 so far:

Phil Spencer has really turned the Xbox One around. Compare that E3 keynote to the Xbox One launch announcement, and it's night and day. Gone are any mention of Kinect, with a laser focus on games, the only mention of media consumption was in passing. I'd guess that there will never be another person in charge of the Xbox that ISN'T a gamer. Don Mattrick has a lot to answer for.

The backward compatibility is amazing, and probably the biggest feature to come out of the conference. The fact that it's available for all games, publisher approval pending, is brilliant. It's really putting the ball into publishers court though, will publishers approve compatibility for games which they've got a "remastered" edition for, or will they try and push sales? Still plenty of questions about how exactly this will work.

The new UI looks like an epic step in the right direction. Again, under Phil Spencer, it looks like they're putting the games first and foremost. While it's still in development and subject to radical change, one thing that popped out at me is the lack of ads on the home screen, it's all just about your games. The panel that comes in at the side also looks great, a much faster way to get to the most commonly used features. Cortana integration also looks good, and having used it on my phone for a while, it's pretty useful.

Also, it's pretty clear that most of the development that we've been testing in the Xbox Preview has essentially been thrown out the window. Anyone that was wondering why they were only releasing stuff that was minor or not at the top of the requests, this is why.

The games themselves were a nice mix of AAA sequels and existing franchises, and new IP. It really feels like developers have finally gotten to grips with both consoles and are now, finally, belatedly, introducing games that are worthy of the "next-gen" moniker.

Looking forward to seeing if Microsoft have any surprises in the PC expo later this evening, but in the meantime, I've to go to the dentist for a crown :(

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,363 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

maximoose wrote: »
    Hololens is easily gonna be somewhere around €700 at least IMO.

Serious piece of kit :eek:

€500 to €700 would be my guess. It's got to be more expensive than the Rift and Morpheus, as it's more than just a screen, it's also an actually PC itself.

In saying that though, it's not got an LCD panel, just a projector or two. Are they cheaper than any panel?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,507 ✭✭✭runawaybishop

Did not see the backwards compat coming. Wish I had been picking up the 360 games with gold all along. Multi gen cross gaming should great fun.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,297 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

The Elite: Dangerous trial is only for an hour, I presume The Long Dark will be the same. I totally missed the partt in the conference where they mentioned you get the game on both PC and Xbox if you buy it.

• Advertisement

Mickeroo wrote: »
    The Elite: Dangerous trial is only for an hour, I presume The Long Dark will be the same. I totally missed the partt in the conference where they mentioned you get the game on both PC and Xbox if you buy it.

TLD is an hour too, tried it earlier. I'll buy it when it's finished is a pretty cool concept and I liked the art style.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,194 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

Might pick up red dead again to play on the Xbox One

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,297 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

TLD is an hour too, tried it earlier. I'll buy it when it's finished is a pretty cool concept and I liked the art style.

Seems you get them pretty much half price if you buy them now though, think I'm going to have to bite the bullet on Elite :o

• Registered Users Posts: 2,133 ✭✭✭GottaGetGatt

Anyone watch No Mans Sky gameplay trailer at E3 for Sony.The sheer scale and possibilities in that game look immense. A Ps4 has to be bought for that game alone.

Wait I thought the games from 360 will be available to play around xmas? Are people able to play them already?

• Advertisement

Wait I thought the games from 360 will be available to play around xmas? Are people able to play them already?

Yeah there's a few titles available already if you are in the preview program.

Yeah there's a few titles available already if you are in the preview program.

Ah crap, is it to late to get into the program?

Ah crap, is it to late to get into the program?

nope, post GT here - http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=95897696

I heard a few months ago that the preview program makes the console a bit slow with updates every week?Is that still the case or is it fine now?

I heard a few months ago that the preview program makes the console a bit slow with updates every week?Is that still the case or is it fine now?

When I had the auto on turned off I had an update on start III constantly.
    Was getting annoying so just returned to auto on... By-passes any waiting.

The updates are usually around 250 mb and the frequency varies from 3 a month to 3 a week - its normally 3-5 total though. If your console is on instant on you will not really notice and they don't slow the actual console down at all.

Seems you get them pretty much half price if you buy them now though, think I'm going to have to bite the bullet on Elite :o

/Splutter :eek:

That puts Elite Dangerous at €62 and TLD at €40 if thats the case?

Thats me rethinking my wait till it's finished stance.

/Splutter :eek:

That puts Elite Dangerous at €62 and TLD at €40 if thats the case?

Thats me rethinking my wait till it's finished stance.

Well Elite is like €50 on PC so I'm just guessing,when it comes out properly on XB I'd expect it to retail for that.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,420 ✭✭✭FAILSAFE 00

Anyone watch No Mans Sky gameplay trailer at E3 for Sony.The sheer scale and possibilities in that game look immense. A Ps4 has to be bought for that game alone.
    It's only making its console debut on PS4. They'll have it first.

Still no release date. This game was shown at E3 2013.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,678 ✭✭✭TrustedApple

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Microsoft-5050013391119-Rare-Replay-Xbox/dp/B00ZFNLHK4

The Rare Reply is up to pre order. £18.85 for it at the moment its a extreme bargain for that price getting 30 games. Works out at 62p a game.

Also 10K gamer score as well for that price :eek:.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭Stone Deaf 4evr

It's only making its console debut on PS4. They'll have it first.

Still no release date. This game was shown at E3 2013.

I'm very skeptical of that game tbh, Its being hyped up to an insane degree, I don't know how they'll manage to meet expectations.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

Must say, I'm pretty happy I went Xbox again when I picked up my XB1 a month or two ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,420 ✭✭✭FAILSAFE 00

I'm very skeptical of that game tbh, Its being hyped up to an insane degree, I don't know how they'll manage to meet expectations.
    Same, 3 years since its been announced and we aren't getting to the very core of how it plays. I have a feeling it will be very repetitive. All those worlds to explore. Surely they couldn't be all different with different creatures on each planet.

Same, 3 years since its been announced and we aren't getting to the very core of how it plays. I have a feeling it will be very repetitive. All those worlds to explore. Surely they couldn't be all different with different creatures on each planet.

They're procedurally generated, or at least the were when the game was unveiled a year or two ago.

Horizon Zero Dawn looked great as well on the PS4.Looking at these games has me wondering why Microsoft just cant pull in these developers.Sony seem to come out with great new franchises every year while Microsoft just seem to be running the same stuff every year. There wasn't anything really from Microsoft in terms of new exclusives or am i just missing something.As in Xbox owner i'll admit im Jelly:(.In saying that i'll probably never stop playing Destiny anyway.

MOD NOTE:

The preview discussion thread was getting swamped with preview invites, so I've started a dedicated invite thread.

It's here.

From now on, if you want access to the preview, post your gamer tag in there please!

Thanks,
    CIAB

• Registered Users Posts: 8,799 ✭✭✭MiskyBoyy

I totally missed the part in the conference where they mentioned you get the game on both PC and Xbox if you buy it.

Where did you see that? :)

Is there a list of what 360 games can be played at the moment if youre part of the preview programme?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,799 ✭✭✭MiskyBoyy

Is there a list of what 360 games can be played at the moment if youre part of the preview programme?

A Kingdom for Keflings
    A World of Keflings
    Alien Hominid HD
    Banjo-Kazooie
    Banjo-Tooie
    BattleBlock Theater
    Defense Grid
    Geometry Wars Evolved
    Hexic HD
    Jetpac Refuelled
    Kameo
    Mass Effect
    N+
    Perfect Dark
    Perfect Dark Zero
    Super Meat Boy
    Toy Soldiers
    Toy Soldiers: Cold War
    Viva Piñata
    Viva Piñata: TIP
    Zuma

• Advertisement

MiskyBoyy wrote: »
    Where did you see that? :)

They were saying it on reddit that it's part of a cross buy program, so if you get it on Xbox you'll have on windows 10 too. I can't find anything official about it though so they could be wrong.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement