Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Xbox One General Discussion - Part 2 (Please Read 1st Post)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭Stone Deaf 4evr

Tinie wrote: »
    Is it true you can use the xbox 360 through the xbo hdmi in feature? If so, is it full normal quality like it would being connected directly to the TV or is there lag, and does the xbo have to be powered on to use it or can be used in standby?

It is true. its a full quality image but there is a degree of lag, probably not enough to interfere with single player games though. The XB1 has to be powered on to use it unfortunately.

TBH, theres no reason at all to do this unless you have a particular fondness for wasting electricity. :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,959 ✭✭✭diusmr8a504cvk

So The Evil Within came up on the Ready to install menu in Games and Apps even though I never bought it, I started downloading it but it still gives the option to buy when I go to the store?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,202 ✭✭✭maximoose

Yeah it seems to have happened for a few people going by Reddit, when downloaded it asks you to insert the disc though.

So The Evil Within came up on the Ready to install menu in Games and Apps even though I never bought it, I started downloading it but it still gives the option to buy when I go to the store?

that happened to me with "life is strange" it'd download away up to 98% but then stall and sit in my queue. neither I nor the guy I was game sharing with had bought it, so I eventually just deleted it and It doesnt show up any more.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,420 ✭✭✭FAILSAFE 00

I have had this before with Watch Dogs. First thought was oh free game, then it wouldn't work because I didn't have the license for it on my account.

• Advertisement

Should I delete it rather than waste my time downloading it?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,420 ✭✭✭FAILSAFE 00

Should I delete it rather than waste my time downloading it?
    Yes.

Thanks man, also bought Guacamelee for €13.50, well worth it thus far.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

At 2.5mb you're slightly under the recommended 3mb for online gaming and for streaming 3.5mb is listed as the minimum required for HD.

Id say it's very tight. when we use Xbox Live we are connecting to servers in the US hence the 150ms ping we get in network stats.

Definte Internet upgrade needed but I assume that isn't possible.

To be honest I'm almost 100% sure that this is the issue - my internet is just not strong enough to run the app videos properly on the One. Annoying that they play fine via laptop/tablet, but if it's 3.5 they're looking for then in fairness I am a bit of the way off even on a good day.

It'll be a long time before I see even 5Mbps in my current location so I'm flogging a dead horse trying to think of solutions I think, but at least I can play Xbox Live with no issues which is the main thing at the end of the day. :)

I presume those with decent internet speeds have no issues with videos, streaming on apps etc?

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,297 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Never had issues with Netflix a 3mbps line myself, upload would always need to buffer though. Gaming was as fine too apart from destiny on occasion.

• Advertisement

Paully D wrote: »
    To be honest I'm almost 100% sure that this is the issue - my internet is just not strong enough to run the app videos properly on the One. Annoying that they play fine via laptop/tablet, but if it's 3.5 they're looking for then in fairness I am a bit of the way off even on a good day.

It'll be a long time before I see even 5Mbps in my current location so I'm flogging a dead horse trying to think of solutions I think, but at least I can play Xbox Live with no issues which is the main thing at the end of the day. :)

I presume those with decent internet speeds have no issues with videos, streaming on apps etc?

I've vodafone fibre, and theres no issues, even if people are streaming HD on another device in the house. looks like thats probably your issue alright.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,988 ✭✭✭tripperman

Paully D wrote: »

It will be a long time for me also I'm between 7 km and 8km from rural exchange and they only go 2km with fibre so no chance I'd say now, I have to check my speeds this evening when I'm on xbox

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 489 ✭✭AngryDiMaria

tripperman wrote: »
    It will be a long time for me also I'm between 7 km and 8km from rural exchange and they only go 2km with fibre so no chance I'd say now, I have to check my speeds this evening when I'm on xbox

Fibre goes a lot further than 2km, that's the whole point of the medium.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,988 ✭✭✭tripperman

Fibre goes a lot further than 2km, that's the whole point of the medium.

I'm only going by what an eircom employee told me when I contacted them about upgrading to it so I may have been misinformed

tripperman wrote: »
    I'm only going by what an eircom employee told me when I contacted them about upgrading to it so I may have been misinformed

The fibre connects the cabinet to the exchange then the copper (phone line) connects your house to the cabinet. The maximum distance of the copper run could be around 1km to the cabinet but the speeds wouldn't be great at that distance, so as long as you're close enough to the cabinet your line is/will be connected to you should be fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,552 ✭✭✭quinnd6

I was just wondering when backward compatibility comes around will people have to download a 7gb or so file for every compatible xbox 360 game they want to play that they own on disc?
    Will they not be able to install from the disc?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,363 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

quinnd6 wrote: »
    I was just wondering when backward compatibility comes around will people have to download a 7gb or so file for every compatible xbox 360 game they want to play that they own on disc?
    Will they not be able to install from the disc?

No, the disc is just a "key" essentially, that lets you unlock the downloaded game.

It's because each and every game has to be wrapped in an emulator, individual to each game, most likely containing optimisations specific to that game.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,402 ✭✭✭Tinie

CatInABox wrote: »
    No, the disc is just a "key" essentially, that lets you unlock the downloaded game.

It's because each and every game has to be wrapped in an emulator, individual to each game, most likely containing optimisations specific to that game.

What about games you own digitally?

Do they still need a physical disc to work?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,363 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

Tinie wrote: »
    What about games you own digitally?

Do they still need a physical disc to work?

They'll work fine, no disc required, and will automatically show up in your "ready to download" section.

• Registered Users Posts: 348 ✭✭tkd93

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,799 ✭✭✭MiskyBoyy

tkd93 wrote: »

Yes it will definitely work. ANY external/portable hard drive with usb 3.0 and 256gb or larger will work on xbox one.

The only thing like someone has already pointed out is that model is a 3.5" hard drive and needs to be plugged into the wall with its own plug.

The smaller 'portable' 2.5" ones don't need to be plugged into the wall at all, just into the xbox usb.

Either way, they all work.

Thanks man, also bought Guacamelee for €13.50, well worth it thus far.

guacamelee is savage. got it when it was free and got sucked in immediately.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,393 ✭✭✭Fingleberries

CatInABox wrote: »

I think he was asking if you can just copy the disc (as with 360 now) or whether you will insert the disc the first time and it will download the game from the Xbox One marketplace - a one-time download - but you will still need the disc to play.

From the language Microsoft were using at E3 it seemed that the latter was the case - you pop in your 360 disc and it will download your game to xbox one.

Maybe they were using 'download' as in 'download it from the disc'? (In the Capcom DLC sense of 'download' :))

Playing Guacamelee and one of the achievements says "Unlocking" since yesterday. I've earned other achievements on the game after this but this one is still unlocking, suggestions?

EDIT: It eventually popped, 3 days later.

TuneIn Radio App is out now on One :)

TuneIn Radio App is out now on One :)

Can we play games while listening to tunes? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,103 ✭✭✭trixiebust

tkd93 wrote: »

As Misky said, will definitely work. Got the same myself today and works perfect. You do need a socket to plug it into though. Gives 1.8 tb of space once formatted. Well worth it if you're stuck for space.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,799 ✭✭✭MiskyBoyy

That's actually a really nice Xbox:

CIdLIchWIAES8Lt.jpg:large

• Registered Users Posts: 348 ✭✭tkd93

trixiebust wrote: »
    As Misky said, will definitely work. Got the same myself today and works perfect. You do need a socket to plug it into though. Gives 1.8 tb of space once formatted. Well worth it if you're stuck for space.
    Got it today works like a charm.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,133 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

Guys can you recommend a game for me to pick up on the one. Have a bit of spare cash this month so might treat myself :)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement