Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Xbox One General Discussion - Part 2 (Please Read 1st Post)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭Stone Deaf 4evr

The settings menu is literally available with one button press from the home screen.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 422 ✭✭wrt40

bajer101 wrote: »
    Am I missing something here, or is the Xbox One UI a total clusterfúck? I have an Xbox One for a few months now, but I don't use it that often. I had noticed that games that I had ordered through xbox.com, or games with gold didn't download automatically. I went to check the power settings tonight to ensure that it was set to download them automatically (settings were correct), but it was an effort to find the settings option! The settings option seemed to be hidden! Press the Home button - no settings option. Instead I see an option for "Snap"! I don't care about that. Just show me a fúckin settings option!

The auto download option doesn't work either. I have never had a game auto download, even though I have the settings correct.

I am not really enamoured with the evolution of consoles. I've had them all since Pong, ZX81, Atari, Spectrum, Vic20, Commodore 64, SNES, PS1, N64, and all the rest etc. I took a bit of break over the last few years due to rearing my daughter, but this is just fúckin nonsense. In game purchases, Season Passes, paying extra for costumes! Get in the fúckin sea!

This is not gaming.
    These days you need to talk to the console.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,178 ✭✭✭bajer101

Thanks for the info guys. I was a bit grumpy last night over something else, so the little annoyances of the Xbox irritated me more than they should. While the settings option may be available easily once you know how, I just find that the OS is not intuitive - an I've been a Microsoft Engineer for nearly 20 years. I don't have a Kinect and doubt if I will get one. I had one on the 360 and never used it. I don't think I'll ever use a console for TV or media. I have other devices for that that get me to the content a lot quicker.

I'm not sure what the deal is with the auto-download not working. I think it did work the first couple of times, but it definitely hasn't worked recently. When I switch on the console, the game will appear as "Ready to Install" and I have to kick it off manually. It might need a power cycle.

As for the in app purchases - I know that this is the way games have been going. It started with mobile apps and the console devs decided they wanted piece of the pie. I'll never buy them and would purposely boycott any games that were reliant on them, but I reckon they are aimed at kids who will nag their parents.

Anyway, even though I had a bit of a rant, I am still happy with the One - especially after starting Rise of the Tomb Raider yesterday. It's just gorgeous. It's the first game I've seen where the gameplay actually matches the cutscenes.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,300 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

This might seems obvious, but do you have the console set to "instant on" and not "energy saving"? Not sure what else could be preventing auto downloads if you aren't game sharing.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,393 ✭✭✭Fingleberries

Thanks for the info guys. I was a bit grumpy last night over something else, so the little annoyances of the Xbox irritated me more than they should. While the settings option may be available easily once you know how, I just find that the OS is not intuitive - an I've been a Microsoft Engineer for nearly 20 years. I don't have a Kinect and doubt if I will get one. I had one on the 360 and never used it. I don't think I'll ever use a console for TV or media. I have other devices for that that get me to the content a lot quicker.

I'm not sure what the deal is with the auto-download not working. I think it did work the first couple of times, but it definitely hasn't worked recently. When I switch on the console, the game will appear as "Ready to Install" and I have to kick it off manually. It might need a power cycle.

As for the in app purchases - I know that this is the way games have been going. It started with mobile apps and the console devs decided they wanted piece of the pie. I'll never buy them and would purposely boycott any games that were reliant on them, but I reckon they are aimed at kids who will nag their parents.

Anyway, even though I had a bit of a rant, I am still happy with the One - especially after starting Rise of the Tomb Raider yesterday. It's just gorgeous. It's the first game I've seen where the gameplay actually matches the cutscenes.
    Not to mention that tomorrow, the whole layout of your Xbox One Dash will change when the New Xbox One Experience (NXOE) is rolled out.

It changes the OS to Windows 10 and they have moved a bunch of stuff around to make it a bit more accessible for Controllers.

That being said, the voice commands are still quicker :)

Getting to settings from Dash:
    - Left on analog stick.
    - Down, down, down, down.
    - Select Settings
    - Select All Settings

Or "Xbox, Go To Settings"

• Advertisement

I avoided Forza 5 because of people saying you need to purchase cars. But other than that I haven't found it a problem, I get by fine without purchasing anything. I think DLC such as maps and extra levels is a good option for extending games that you love, but it's not something you have to purchase.

Mickeroo wrote: »
    This might seems obvious, but do you have the console set to "instant on" and not "energy saving"? Not sure what else could be preventing auto downloads if you aren't game sharing.

That's what I presumed had happened, which is why I went into settings last night to check - but it is definitely set to instant on. Must be just a glitch. Hopefully the update will fix it.
    Not to mention that tomorrow, the whole layout of your Xbox One Dash will change when the New Xbox One Experience (NXOE) is rolled out.

It changes the OS to Windows 10 and they have moved a bunch of stuff around to make it a bit more accessible for Controllers.

That being said, the voice commands are still quicker :)

Getting to settings from Dash:
    - Left on analog stick.
    - Down, down, down, down.
    - Select Settings
    - Select All Settings

Or "Xbox, Go To Settings"

Do you not need the kinect for voice control?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,393 ✭✭✭Fingleberries

Do you not need the kinect for voice control?
    Yeah, you need the Kinect for voice control. You can pick one up for ~€50 in CEX ... My Kinect died there recently, and it's amazing how much you miss the extra functionality when you don't have it.

I was so glad when I got the free replacement Kinect - it was really all the small things that I realised how much I used it when it was gone.

There are bugger all games for it, but the Voice and TV control are worth it for me.
    • It switches everything on / off when I do the same for the Xbox (via Remote or Voice), no need to dig out a remote control.
    • Using Voice commands to switch games / apps
    • Using Voice commands to play / pause videos or music.

I thought I would be lazy when I went all-digital with games, but to get to the point where I don't have to find the TV remote to switch it on or pause a video to answer the door. It's a new level of laziness, but future-tech laziness. :)

If you can get one for €50 I think Kinect is worth it for navigation alone. It's great with Groove Music as well, and you don't need the subscription. Upload your music to Onedrive and you can access it in Groove music. I haven't tried Plex yet because you still need a plex pass at the moment, but it looks like it will have good integration.

There are also a handful of useful games for it. Xbox fitness and Fruit Ninja are regulars in my house. Forza Horizon 2 voice commands are useful and D4 showed how it could be used for those Telltale type games, but it does now look like developers have completely abandoned it.

Cortana is coming soon too.

At €50 I might grab it. I have a couple of games to get rid of that will more or less cover that. My daughter might also get some use out of it with a dance game.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Captain Chaos

If you won't to see a bad console OS have a look at the PS3 or the real old school blades dashboard that was on the 360 when it 1st came out now they where bad OS.

TBH the Blades OS on the 360 was the best UI on the console, it was all down hill from there.

The XMB on the PS3 is simplicity itself and the PS4 uses a modified version of it. It's used in all Bravia TVs, Sony cameras, Bluray players, it just works.

The Xbox One UI is hands down the worst UI I have used in just about anything bar the old Seimens mobile phones.

I can't wait for Win10 for the Xbox One to get away from the cluster f### UI it has. It's a terrible mess.

Each to their own I suppose.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,363 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

TBH the Blades OS on the 360 was the best UI on the console, it was all down hill from there.

The XMB on the PS3 is simplicity itself and the PS4 uses a modified version of it. It's used in all Bravia TVs, Sony cameras, Bluray players, it just works.

The Xbox One UI is hands down the worst UI I have used in just about anything bar the old Seimens mobile phones.

I can't wait for Win10 for the Xbox One to get away from the cluster f### UI it has. It's a terrible mess.

Each to their own I suppose.

Yeah, it's all relative. I found the Xbox One UI totally fine when using my Kinect to navigate, but it was borderline unusable without. The new Win10 UI is much better with a controller, and about a million times faster to get to the most common functions.

They're talking about hand gestures on the UI, it'll still be there for the few games that use it. not something I have ever used to navigate to be honest, so I think it's probably a wise move from them. Pointless supporting something hardly anyone uses.

But I think the forthcoming Cortana integration shows their commitment to voice navigation.

p.s. take a look at the first paragraph
    The 'New Xbox One Experience' software update, which launches tomorrow, will kill off support for Kinect in the Xbox One's user interface.

talk about misleading!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,202 ✭✭✭maximoose

Hand gestures have never worked for me anyway, despite my best lazy efforts

• Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭Stone Deaf 4evr

Is it wrong to be mildly excited about a UI update?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,618 ✭✭✭Mr Freeze

Not at all.

I might get up early and update the console before work, so I don't have to do it when I get home.

I just want the speed of the UI and snapping especially to be improved. The speed of snapping at the moment is terrible, and the apps often hang, party app for example being the worst offender.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,142 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

No. Let's not forget we got excited about a controller :D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,420 ✭✭✭FAILSAFE 00

emmetkenny wrote: »
    No. Let's not forget we got excited about a controller :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,988 ✭✭✭tripperman

When is the update launching?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

I just bought a Xbox one and fallout 4. I installed the game to hard drive and went to play the game and now all I hear is music and a cut scene of the power suit. Is it installing a update. I live in the country so connection is not so good. If it is a update I am waiting on why isn't there a progress bar like on the 360.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,142 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

I just bought a Xbox one and fallout 4. I installed the game to hard drive and went to play the game and now all I hear is music and a cut scene of the power suit. Is it installing a update. I live in the country so connection is not so good. If it is a update I am waiting on why isn't there a progress bar like on the 360.

When you load up My Games and Apps hover over Fallout 4 and tell us what it says.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

emmetkenny wrote: »
    When you load up My Games and Apps hover over Fallout 4 and tell us what it says.

It just says Fallout 4.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,507 ✭✭✭runawaybishop

tripperman wrote: »
    When is the update launching?

Tomorrow

Unplug the console for 30 seconds and try again.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,611 ✭✭✭tony1980

That's what I presumed had happened, which is why I went into settings last night to check - but it is definitely set to instant on. Must be just a glitch.

This might seem obvious but do you plug it out at any stage and back in again, if you do, you would have to turn the xbox on and then off again to set it back to its instant on mode.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,799 ✭✭✭MiskyBoyy

There is a 550mb update, maybe it's installing that? Try play offline and see.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,988 ✭✭✭tripperman

Tomorrow

Cheers man

• Registered Users Posts: 28,397 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

Is there any word of what time it's launching at?

• Advertisement

Turtyturd wrote: »
    Is there any word of what time it's launching at?

It'll roll out in waves. You can probably hit check for update to pull it down a few hours before it becomes mandatory.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement