Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Xbox One General Discussion - Part 2 (Please Read 1st Post)

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,453 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

Pulled the plug, put it back and everything is grand now :)

• Pulled the plug, put it back and everything is grand now :)
    Good stuff :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭calex71

dor83 wrote: »
    So the July update will allow you to use voice commands in Ireland, it's not specifically tailored for us but you will be able to select another English speaking country for voice commands while your console is set to Ireland.

That Austria has to be a typo surely they meant Australia :D

That "Future digital bundles" is interesting, dare we hope for some humble bundle type thing from some of the publishers???? If backward compatibility for digital 360 games came to the One that could be massive !!!!!

Edit: In terms of that new achievements app it's plain crazy that a site like trueachievements was able to track % towards them better than MS and the One could using MS own API's :D

• Registered Users Posts: 8,798 ✭✭✭MiskyBoyy

• Registered Users Posts: 2,516 ✭✭✭dor83

calex71 wrote: »
    That Austria has to be a typo surely they meant Australia :D
    I think that is why they say English or German, Austria can use German and us and kiwi can use English. I think Oz already has voice commands, I vaguely remember setting my console to Oz near launch to see if any of their TV apps worked here. I will still be leaving my console set to US anyway.
    That "Future digital bundles" is interesting, dare we hope for some humble bundle type thing from some of the publishers???? If backward compatibility for digital 360 games came to the One that could be massive !!!!!
    Yeah, that is what I am taking from that too, not expecting them to be as cheap as humble or anything but maybe they will bundle a few older games together for a single price or something. I fully expect them to bring digital backwards compatibility in at some stage, not soon but maybe next year or something. I'll be very happy if they do, still have a load of digital games on my 360 that I have barely played but bought because they were really cheap.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,825 ✭✭✭Mikeyt086

Aaron Paul has turned my Xbox One on a few times. Was funny at first but it's pretty ****ing annoying now. How could they not know that would happen?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,330 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

Mikeyt086 wrote: »
    Aaron Paul has turned my Xbox One on a few times. Was funny at first but it's pretty ****ing annoying now. How could they not know that would happen?

Yeah, it's a bit silly in all honesty.

If they are going down the route of having ads turn your Xbox on, then I think that they're missing a great opportunity for fun. Imagine having Aaron Paul turn your Xbox One on, and an achievement unlocks: "Turned on by Aaron Paul"

Even unlock a free game or something, just to take away from the annoying-ness of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭Stone Deaf 4evr

With regards to the digital bundles thing, I wonder is it similar to how you see dvds with an "ultraviolet" option where you pay a little more for the disc, but you also get access to a downloadable copy for use on laptop / tablet etc It'd be great to be able to buy a physical disc, install it to hard drive and then use a licence code that allows you to play without the disc in the console.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,330 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

With regards to the digital bundles thing, I wonder is it similar to how you see dvds with an "ultraviolet" option where you pay a little more for the disc, but you also get access to a downloadable copy for use on laptop / tablet etc It'd be great to be able to buy a physical disc, install it to hard drive and then use a licence code that allows you to play without the disc in the console.

Except there's nothing to stop you from buying a game, installing it, using the code and selling the disk straight away.

Unless there's a way to disable your digital copy of the game if the disk is being used elsewhere, then it's unlikely to happen.

Most likely, this is to allow games to be sold as special/limited edition in the Xbox One market place, such as several editions of Batman with different skins/missions, etc.

CatInABox wrote: »
    Except there's nothing to stop you from buying a game, installing it, using the code and selling the disk straight away.

Unless there's a way to disable your digital copy of the game if the disk is being used elsewhere, then it's unlikely to happen.

Most likely, this is to allow games to be sold as special/limited edition in the Xbox One market place, such as several editions of Batman with different skins/missions, etc.

Yes, but consider the fact that you'll pay a premium for this version of the game, say 80 euros as opposed to 65. You use your code, trade in your game for 40. You've now paid 40 for The game, roughly the same price as buying from the US marketplace.

• Advertisement

Yes, but consider the fact that you'll pay a premium for this version of the game, say 80 euros as opposed to 65. You use your code, trade in your game for 40. You've now paid 40 for The game, roughly the same price as buying from the US marketplace.

Indeed, it's better for you, and better for the retail store that you trade it to, but not for the publisher, and by extension, not for the developer.

Essentially, for €80, there would be two copies of the game going to two different people, where as at the moment it's €130 for two copies of the game.

This is ignoring the fact that you can buy from other markets, as I think that most people who buy games in retail stores probably don't know that trick.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,393 ✭✭✭Fingleberries

Indeed, it's better for you, and better for the retail store that you trade it to, but not for the publisher, and by extension, not for the developer.

Essentially, for €80, there would be two copies of the game going to two different people, where as at the moment it's €130 for two copies of the game.

This is ignoring the fact that you can buy from other markets, as I think that most people who buy games in retail stores probably don't know that trick.

Whereas, if the 'digital' license was a one time code that only the first person to redeem it could use, they could then trade the physical copy as a regular game.

The digital licence could be purchased online (from the console) for a fixed fee, so the second hand user also could be digital if they wanted, for a fee.

MS gets money, publisher gets money, retail gets money, gamer gets choice and digital games if they want.

Although Microsoft would need better PR people to advertise this, if that's what they do in the end, because it could easily appear as project 10-dollar from EA or Activision.

Obviously we're talking purely guesswork here as nothing of the sort has been announced, but if 2 copies are bought digitally for €40 each the publisher / developer is still getting the same cut. By allowing the physical copy to be resold, they'd also be keeping the bricks and mortar stores satisfied and maintaining an outlet for console sales. There are other benefits to think about too. The more people with games in their library, the larger the potential sales of DLC.

Also, once a game goes into the second hand market, the developer & publisher never again see a red cent.

Whereas, if the 'digital' license was a one time code that only the first person to redeem it could use, they could then trade the physical copy as a regular game.

The digital licence could be purchased online (from the console) for a fixed fee, so the second hand user also could be digital if they wanted, for a fee.

MS gets money, publisher gets money, retail gets money, gamer gets choice and digital games if they want.

Although Microsoft would need better PR people to advertise this, if that's what they do in the end, because it could easily appear as project 10-dollar from EA or Activision.

Unfortunately not. I know that if they brought this system in, I'd abuse the hell out of it.

Let's say that they do come out with a system like this, and I'm just going to throw prices out there*.

It costs €80 for a game with a digital code.
    It costs €65 for a game without a digital code.
    It costs €15 for a game without a digital code to be "upgraded" online.

John buys a game with a digital code €80. It's a new release game that's highly anticipated.
    John installs the game and uses the code to unlock the digital version for his Xbox account.
    John returns to the shop and sells the game back to a shop for €40.
    It's still release day, and the shop sells the game to Adam for €40.
    Adam installs the game and buys the upgrade through the xbox store for €15 to unlock the digital version for his Xbox account.
    Adam returns to the shop and sells the game back to a shop for €40.
    Adam has made a profit.

It's just unworkable to do something like that without a massive amount of restrictions.

*All these prices are totally made up by me, and aren't taking into account the cut made by retail/Microsoft, etc. I'm just going with those figures for ease of use.
    Obviously we're talking purely guesswork here as nothing of the sort has been announced, but if 2 copies are bought digitally for €40 each the publisher / developer is still getting the same cut. By allowing the physical copy to be resold, they'd also be keeping the bricks and mortar stores satisfied and maintaining an outlet for console sales. There are other benefits to think about too. The more people with games in their library, the larger the potential sales of DLC.

Also, once a game goes into the second hand market, the developer & publisher never again see a red cent.

But having a physical copy with a digital version included is still two copies. If you trade that physical copy in on release day, then most likely it will be bought by some one else who would otherwise have bought a brand new copy. Why would that person then spend more money on a digital code/version?

As for the DLC, I'm not sure most people would like to see the industry going down that path. As it is, publishers are wary/envious of the second hand market. If publishers start to see DLC as the answer, how long until they release a game as a €20 release for the first chapter, with the second and third chapters available through the store for €20 each? Would you prefer that set up?

Don't get me wrong, I've gone fully digital this generation, I think it's great, but I just think that the above is unrealistic with out a massive amount of unseemly restrictions being put in place. See Microsofts original plans for an example of what those restrictions would need to be.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,431 ✭✭✭recyclops

tomb raider for little over ten euro absolute bargain

• Registered Users Posts: 3,393 ✭✭✭Fingleberries

recyclops wrote: »
    tomb raider for little over ten euro absolute bargain
    Eh? As far as I can see Tomb Raider is 50% off - it's now €24.99 (EU Store) / $29.99 (US Store).

If it is a tenner somewhere, I'll have that thank you very much :)

Unfortunately not. I know that if they brought this system in, I'd abuse the hell out of it.

Let's say that they do come out with a system like this, and I'm just going to throw prices out there*.

It costs €80 for a game with a digital code.
    It costs €65 for a game without a digital code.
    It costs €15 for a game without a digital code to be "upgraded" online.

John buys a game with a digital code €80. It's a new release game that's highly anticipated.
    John installs the game and uses the code to unlock the digital version for his Xbox account.
    John returns to the shop and sells the game back to a shop for €40.
    It's still release day, and the shop sells the game to Adam for €40.
    Adam installs the game and buys the upgrade through the xbox store for €15 to unlock the digital version for his Xbox account.
    Adam returns to the shop and sells the game back to a shop for €40.
    Adam has made a profit.

It's just unworkable to do something like that without a massive amount of restrictions.

*All these prices are totally made up by me, and aren't taking into account the cut made by retail/Microsoft, etc. I'm just going with those figures for ease of use.

But having a physical copy with a digital version included is still two copies. If you trade that physical copy in on release day, then most likely it will be bought by some one else who would otherwise have bought a brand new copy. Why would that person then spend more money on a digital code/version?

As for the DLC, I'm not sure most people would like to see the industry going down that path. As it is, publishers are wary/envious of the second hand market. If publishers start to see DLC as the answer, how long until they release a game as a €20 release for the first chapter, with the second and third chapters available through the store for €20 each? Would you prefer that set up?

Don't get me wrong, I've gone fully digital this generation, I think it's great, but I just think that the above is unrealistic with out a massive amount of unseemly restrictions being put in place. See Microsofts original plans for an example of what those restrictions would need to be.

It could be as simple as not activating the digital codes until 4 weeks after release date, or limit the number of digital upgrades to 1 per disc. that'd immediately halt the trading of games on day 1. Again, the US marketplace / family sharing (sort of) is being left open for a reason. theres literally nothing to stop them from ending theses arrangements / "exploits".

And don't get me wrong, i think Its great.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,431 ✭✭✭recyclops

Eh? As far as I can see Tomb Raider is 50% off - it's now €24.99 (EU Store) / $29.99 (US Store).

If it is a tenner somewhere, I'll have that thank you very much :)

gameshare with another xbox one user. so just around 11 each

Just dawned on me earlier that there has been no mention of the usual "summer of arcade" this year. Normally that's been ok for a few downloadable titles. WOuld have been a good way to push some of those new indie titles, guess there isn't much in development that's ready for release this year :confused:

• Advertisement

calex71 wrote: »
    Just dawned on me earlier that there has been no mention of the usual "summer of arcade" this year. Normally that's been ok for a few downloadable titles. WOuld have been a good way to push some of those new indie titles, guess there isn't much in development that's ready for release this year :confused:

Did they have one last year? I think its usually later in the year as well though - end of july start of august?

Did they have one last year? I think its usually later in the year as well though - end of july start of august?

it is but usually they would have mentioned it by this stage I think , maybe not.

Last year was flashback , brothers, charlie murder and TMNT.

Few new titles out today: Outlast - a survival horror game with a hefty price tag, and an indie title called sixty second shooter prime - twin stick shooter akin to geometry wars.

I picked up the 60 second shooter one, it was 4.99 and finding it highly addictive.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,202 ✭✭✭maximoose

Have heard great things about Outlast from friends with PS4, think I'll hold off til it's on sale though.

maximoose wrote: »
    Have heard great things about Outlast from friends with PS4, think I'll hold off til it's on sale though.

yeah at 19.99 it's a bit rich for my blood even if I was to buy it on the US store.

That Outlast does look interesting all the same!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,133 ✭✭✭GottaGetGatt

MiskyBoyy wrote: »
    That Outlast does look interesting all the same!

It does indeed.Might pick it up later in the year as a warm up before Alien Isolation.A good dark winters night with the lights out and the headphones on to scare the bollox out of myself!

• Registered Users Posts: 363 ✭✭beercr8te

Been having great fun since last Tuesday on my xbox one, titanfall is great and I love the layout of the dash. I've found the kinect very handy, also I highly recommend outlast, having played it on my other next gen console, its great but it will scare the sh!t out of you.

beercr8te wrote: »
    Been having great fun since last Tuesday on my xbox one, titanfall is great and I love the layout of the dash. I've found the kinect very handy, also I highly recommend outlast, having played it on my other next gen console, its great but it will scare the sh!t out of you.

You just get an Xbox ONE? If so, welcome :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 363 ✭✭beercr8te

MiskyBoyy wrote: »
    You just get an Xbox ONE? If so, welcome :D

Thanks, MiskyBoyy, been very impressed with it so far, looking forward to playing halo 1,2 and 3 again this autumn on it.:D

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement