Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Xbox One General Discussion - Part 2 (Please Read 1st Post)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,132 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

ItsShane wrote: »
    Ended up being just under €70 for the Gold Edition.
    Last week when I checked the prices on XE, I was getting it for abour €47. That's a big hike in exchange rates. Should have shopped around more, but didn't realise the rates had gone up so much. Lesson learned.

Best to check DGP before buying.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,363 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

Microsoft held a big, behind closed doors Press Event in San Francisco on Thursday last week for Xbox and Windows 10, but all the information has been embargoed until tomorrow (1. March).

Unusually, there doesn't appear to have been anything leaked from the event on any other sites - anyone care to speculate?
    • HoloLens preorders for Tech / Developers?
    • HoloLens / Xbox integration?
    • Back Compat Xbox 360 games coming to Win10 store on PC?
    • Windows Store Apps on Xbox One?

News is starting to leak out ahead of the release later. Looks like Forza 6 is coming to Windows 10 as a Free-to-Play game.

See eurogamer here

• Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭ItsShane

emmetkenny wrote: »
    Best to check DGP before buying.

Couldn't remember the site. Should have asked.

BUT... Last week when I was pricing games from Xbox.com on the Argentine site, the prices were in US Dollars and not Argentine Pesos. Has anybody here actually bought from Argentina? If so, how did you get it in Pesos?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,132 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

Couldn't remember the site. Should have asked.

BUT... Last week when I was pricing games from Xbox.com on the Argentine site, the prices were in US Dollars and not Argentine Pesos. Has anybody here actually bought from Argentina? If so, how did you get it in Pesos?

You were on the wrong region most likely. I've never had the wrong currency show up on a different region.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,618 ✭✭✭Mr Freeze

maximoose wrote: »
    Yeah the tab just slides in/out of the controller dock.

Cd1D6wk.jpg

I think I got permission to splash out on this tablet last night from the boss.

Is it worth getting, is the controller part fairly sturdy?

Amazon looks the cheapest anyways.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,247 ✭✭✭Max Mafioso

I had a go of it in PC World and it seemed fine, buttons were easy to get to.
    I will be getting one in the coming weeks :D

• Registered Users Posts: 8,762 ✭✭✭DaveNoCheese

Ended up being just under €70 for the Gold Edition.
    Last week when I checked the prices on XE, I was getting it for abour €47. That's a big hike in exchange rates. Should have shopped around more, but didn't realise the rates had gone up so much. Lesson learned.

I got it for €54 in Columbia, when I realised I could have got it for €42 I was a little sickened... You must be raging :P

• Registered Users Posts: 10,381 ✭✭✭✭Allyall

So any reason I should not get this?
    http://www.pcworld.ie/Product/linx-vision-8-gaming-tablet-32-gb/329761/398.1.0
    Maxi I'm looking at you since you've been playing around with it for a while now ;)

They're a horrible crowd.
    It's in their UK store for ~ €166 (Same price as Amazon)

Amazon (as mentioned) are the best price, but I had a look around anyway.
    The only retailers (in the UK) that have it (According to here)

Ebuyer - £149
    Amazon - Curia Price Comparison
    Argos - http://checkargos.com/product/4552925 (€203)
    PC World - €219
    Overclockers - £139
    Laptop Outlet - £139

• Registered Users Posts: 5,420 ✭✭✭FAILSAFE 00

Allyall wrote: »

I think I am going to pick it up in Argos later as it in stock and Amazon has a 2 - 4 week waiting period.

Lets hope that no common sense sets in between now and purchasing it. :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,202 ✭✭✭maximoose

There's one in stock now on Amazon for €165! Use flubit and you'd get another 10-15% off that.
    Is it worth getting, is the controller part fairly sturdy?

Very happy with it, delighted with it for what I paid (~€130). Controller feels very solid in your hands, takes some adjusting to the positioning but easy to use after that.

Maxi, I have read this review, wondering if you could compare with your experience
    Avoid this tablet, it was great the first few days of using it but after that the problems began to show

1st - the tablet is too heavy for the dock, when you hold it while the tablet is locked in the dock it feels cheap and very light and feels like they are about to break.

2nd - mine didnt shut down properly, when you hold the power button it will come up " slide down to power down" mine wouldnt i had to force it to shut down which could harm the cpu.

3rd - the battery life sucked i streamed battlefront for 45 minutes with a full 100% charge, i played 2 matches and it was at 2% when i finished, that was the screen at 10% with battery saver on.

4th - it wouldnt turn back on after i factory reset it, might have just been my model but after i reset it, it wouldnt turn back on no matter what i did.

Oh yeah 32gb is a ok start but be warned it doesnt read sd cards it reconises it when plugged in but then theres no sign of it to be found anywhere.

Its youre choice i rarely give a bad review on amazon but i thought i would give my honest opinion.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,363 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

It was always a Windows 10 and Xbox event, so I didn't think that there'd be any truly ground breaking news, but I'm still looking forward to seeing how the Xbox and Win10 stores are going to play out.

Pretty sure that a version of most Microsoft games will hit Win10 from now on, but don't know if cross buy will be something they push.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,202 ✭✭✭maximoose

Maxi, I have read this review, wondering if you could compare with your experience

1st - the tablet is too heavy for the dock, when you hold it while the tablet is locked in the dock it feels cheap and very light and feels like they are about to break. Nonsense IMO.

2nd - mine didnt shut down properly, when you hold the power button it will come up " slide down to power down" mine wouldnt i had to force it to shut down which could harm the cpu. No issues like that for me - I just tested the slide to power down twice (admittedly my first time doing it, what's thw need to shut it down?) and no issues

3rd - the battery life sucked i streamed battlefront for 45 minutes with a full 100% charge, i played 2 matches and it was at 2% when i finished, that was the screen at 10% with battery saver on. Honestly this just sounds like lies. The first night I got it I played 4 or 5 rounds of Battlefront, followed by an hour or so of Unravel and only lost max 30% of the batt - at high streaming settings and 75% brightness.

4th - it wouldnt turn back on after i factory reset it, might have just been my model but after i reset it, it wouldnt turn back on no matter what i did. Based on the first 3 reasons and then this, maybe he did just have a dud

Thank You sir!! :)

2nd - mine didnt shut down properly, when you hold the power button it will come up " slide down to power down" mine wouldnt i had to force it to shut down which could harm the cpu.

The bolded part would imply to me that this person has no clue what they're talking about.

In terms of controller, I'd still prefer to use my Xbox One controller, so I'd just connect it up with a usb cable. It would mean I'd need to prop the tablet up with something, but that's how I'd do it.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,507 ✭✭✭runawaybishop

CatInABox wrote: »
    The bolded part would imply to me that this person has no clue what they're talking about.

In terms of controller, I'd still prefer to use my Xbox One controller, so I'd just connect it up with a usb cable. It would mean I'd need to prop the tablet up with something, but that's how I'd do it.
    In that case any win10 tablet would do, no need to pay for a controller accessory you'll never use.

The press event had some interesting news in it, but nothing earth shattering. Previews of games will probably be out over the next few days, with Quantum Break, and Below.

A slimmed down Forza 6 is indeed free to play on Win10, will take a look at that when it comes out.

Ars Technica has more here.

I'm hoping to hear Below is finished and has a release date or is close to it, haven't seen or heard a think about it really since the e3 announcement, what 2 years ago?

EDIT: on Ori and the blind forest , the definitive edition will be stand alone and the original removed from the store but definitive will be offered at a "discount" to current owners. Better be as attractive as the minecraft pricing was otherwise no sale. March 11 for that one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,029 ✭✭✭um7y1h83ge06nx

WTF?

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2016-03-01-it-sounds-like-xbox-one-will-get-hardware-upgrades

Xbox One getting hardware upgrades?
    Console to become "backward and forward compatible".

Somone needs to talk to Sega I think... :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,029 ✭✭✭um7y1h83ge06nx

I really do not like the idea of console upgrades.

Despite being very technical I like the idea of paying €300-500 for a console and being done with hardware for a few years.

If this does become the norm for console I think I'd just bite the bullet and build a gaming PC, Steam sales ftw!

Despite being very technical I like the idea of paying €300-500 for a console and being done with hardware for a few years.

If this does become the norm for console I think I'd just bite the bullet and build a gaming PC, Steam sales ftw!

I think the idea is that the games would run even on a plain Xbox One. You wouldn't need to "upgrade" until the next major revision.

It's a bit of an odd one to be honest. Add-ons never work, and the Xbox One isn't set up for it in any case. An add-on that boosts GPU and CPU power would need more bandwidth than USB3 could provide, so it's just not feasible.

The only way that it could potentially work is that they bring out a new, incrementally more powerful Xbox One, offer existing owners an upgrade for a nominal fee, and keep the existing Xbox One spec as a development target, with the extra power as a bonus.

Highly unlikely either way I think.

One thing that I got out of his talk though, and this is speculation from reading between the lines, is that between the UWP and the virtual platform already built into the Xbox, the next Xbox and beyond will be backward compatible with every game that comes out on Xbox One. This can only be a good thing.

EDIT: Looking at the source (Polygon, here), and his apparent disdain about PSVR being another box to add to the Playstation, I'd say a new, more powerful Xbox One is in the pipeline, rather than an add on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,678 ✭✭✭lawlolawl

I was already on the fence about whether to keep my Bone because i've tired of playing Destiny with my friends and it was the only reason i bought the thing in the first place.

Now all the 'exclusives' are coming to PC and they are pulling some 32Xbox add-on garbage. The machine is pointless for me at this stage because i already have a PS4 and PC.

My question is, who gives the best trade in value for consoles in Ireland?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

Doesn't really bother me if they do bring out an upgraded xbox. I already have a powerful gaming desktop and also a xbox one.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,420 ✭✭✭FAILSAFE 00

CatInABox wrote: »
    EDIT: Looking at the source (Polygon, here), and his apparent disdain about PSVR being another box to add to the Playstation, I'd say a new, more powerful Xbox One is in the pipeline, rather than an add on.

I think so. The next console will be the upgrade more than likely and I think it might feature the ability to upgrade that console. It seemed like he was talking next gen rather than an upgrade to the current Xbox One.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,328 ✭✭✭dunworth1

I think so. The next console will be the upgrade more than likely and I think it might feature the ability to upgrade that console. It seemed like he was talking next gen rather than an upgrade to the current Xbox One.

I suspect that they are going to shift to a gaming platform rather than hardware.

Something akin to the steambox

• Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭Stone Deaf 4evr

dunworth1 wrote: »
    I suspect that they are going to shift to a gaming platform rather than hardware.

Something akin to the steambox

I reckon you're spot on there.

• Registered Users Posts: 850 ✭✭✭erkifino

My take on the hardware upgrade.

'HDMI in' would be for some sort of attachment that allows you to play new 4K games on an emulator on the cloud...

I don't think anyone uses the HDMI for attaching their 360, they mastered the BC emulator fairly quick and they've been singing about the 'cloud' for yonks.

There's one in stock now on Amazon for €165! Use flubit and you'd get another 10-15% off that.

Very happy with it, delighted with it for what I paid (~€130). Controller feels very solid in your hands, takes some adjusting to the positioning but easy to use after that.

Here Maxi, did you have to do anything to get the controller dock to work, should it work from the off or does it need drivers?

XBOX app not seeing the console either. Laptop XBOX app can see the console fine.

Not off to a great start here.

EDIT, after a load of updates, it appears to be working.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 416 ✭✭Faker74

After the kicking Microsoft got over the original Xbox One announcement and the backpeddling they did afterwards you would have thought they would be more carefully even with their speculative comments.

I buy a games console because I want something very consumer friendly and ready to roll off the shelf that I don't need to consider upgrading for several years. If we get to the point where there is an Xbox One and an Xbox One S or Xbox One Plus or whatever they want to call the revised hardware people are speculating about, and yes the games will run on the original hardware but for the best experience you need the latest revision... well screw that I'll be going to Sony

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement