Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Xbox One General Discussion - Part 2 (Please Read 1st Post)

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,678 ✭✭✭lawlolawl

Faker74 wrote: »
    After the kicking Microsoft got over the original Xbox One announcement and the backpeddling they did afterwards you would have thought they would be more carefully even with their speculative comments.

I buy a games console because I want something very consumer friendly and ready to roll off the shelf that I don't need to consider upgrading for several years. If we get to the point where there is an Xbox One and an Xbox One S or Xbox One Plus or whatever they want to call the revised hardware people are speculating about, and yes the games will run on the original hardware but for the best experience you need the latest revision... well screw that I'll be going to Sony

You should probably just get a PS4 now.

The Xbox One is a dead duck and new SKUs that run certain games "better" are just going to make your trade in value continue to decline.

The Bone is completely obsolete now that they are porting everything to PC. I'm trading in my one this weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,132 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

lawlolawl wrote: »
    You should probably just get a PS4 now that.

The Xbox One is a dead duck and new SKUs that run certain games "better" are just going to make your trade in value continue to decline.

The Bone is completely obsolete now that they are porting everything to PC. I'm trading in my one this weekend.

Wow. Just wow :D

I believe they were talking next gen for the upgradable consoles.

And making games free on Win10 if you buy the Xbox version is a very nice touch and saves people buying the same game twice. Can't see how that makes the One obsolete??

• Registered Users Posts: 6,618 ✭✭✭Mr Freeze

emmetkenny wrote: »
    And making games free on Win10 if you buy the Xbox version is a very nice touch and saves people buying the same game twice. Can't see how that makes the One obsolete??

Is that planned for this gen or next gen?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭Stone Deaf 4evr

Mr Freeze wrote: »

This gen, starting with quantum break.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,678 ✭✭✭lawlolawl

Wow. Just wow :D

I believe they were talking next gen for the upgradable consoles.

Because you can just buy the game on PC in the first place and it will be cheaper and run better than the Bone version.

And you don't have to pay for Live on PC. And the playerbase for multiplayer stuff is potentially much larger on PC.

• Advertisement

It's happening already. If you buy Quatum Break for the One you get it free on Win10.

There was one or two others as well but can't remember which ones. I'm sure one of the other lads will know exactly what's happening.

Because you can just buy the game on PC in the first place and it will be cheaper and run better than the Bone version.

And you don't have to pay for Live on PC. And the playerbase for multiplayer stuff is potentially much larger on PC.

A lot of people dont have gaming PC and to build a top of the range PC will cost a lot more than a One/PS4.

Games dont always run better on PC either, look at the last Batman game for example.

Yes you don't have to pay for Live on PC but saying that I get four free games a month for having live and to me it's worth it(I only payed €24 for 12 months)

Some games would have a bigger player base on PC but games like COD/Halo/Destiny all would be much bigger communities on Console and they are some of the most popular games available now.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,297 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Every game I own now will be playable on all future generations of Microsoft console? And people who own PCs might also be able to play some games that I might buy in the future? Those bastards, I'm getting rid of my Xbox before they go making it run games better or something too.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,507 ✭✭✭runawaybishop

So why are any consoles sold right now?

A lot of people dont have gaming PC and to build a top of the range PC will cost a lot more than a One/PS4.

Games dont always run better on PC either, look at the last Batman game for example.

Yes you don't have to pay for Live on PC but saying that I get four free games a month for having live and to me it's worth it(I only payed €24 for 12 months)

Some games would have a bigger player base on PC but games like COD/Halo/Destiny all would be much bigger communities on Console and they are some of the most popular games available now.

Thats as it stands now though. In future, who really knows, if they went down this route I'm not sure I'd bother. Ok you have the ease and security of knowing everything will just work which I love and is why I play on consoles in the 1st place but it's hard to look past the fact it sounds a lot like a closed/propriety pc gaming system they are envisaging and at that point I think I would be seriously considering my options. In fact I think I'm completely nuts even now to be still on a console. I don't even play on a TV, I'm on a 27'' monitor I share with my pc right next to me with a keyboard and mouse in front of me to use the pc on a 2nd smaller screen while i'm on the xbox while a 32'' tv sits on my right showing the news..... I don;t now if I should laugh or cry about that :o

• Advertisement

Its fair to say that if you're frequenting a forum like this or, even other games websites, you're probably a fair bit more clued in than the average joe or josephine soap when it comes to games, electronics etc.
    The average punter hasn't a clue about whether a game is running at 720p 1080i or howevermany frames per second. They buy their machines & games in places like gamestop as they know no better. They're just buying a machine to play games on their couch with their mates or are being gifted them from parents etc. This why there will always be consoles, even if they are drifting closer to low end pcs. A huge market just want a box that you plug into the wall, into the telly and off you go.

and do you know what? they're probably blissfully happier in their ignorance, enjoying what the machines are all about - games.

• Registered Users Posts: 416 ✭✭Faker74

Its fair to say that if you're frequenting a forum like this or, even other games websites, you're probably a fair bit more clued in than the average joe or josephine soap when it comes to games... They're just buying a machine to play games on their couch with their mates or are being gifted them from parents etc. This why there will always be consoles, even if they are drifting closer to low end pcs. A huge market just want a box that you plug into the wall, into the telly and off you go.

and do you know what? they're probably blissfully happier in their ignorance, enjoying what the machines are all about - games.

I am probably the definition of a casual gamer. I buy maybe 3 new games a year (one of which would be the latest version of FIFA/PES) and then play the GWG or PS+ titles. I only make the move to a new console maybe a year into its lifecycle. Coming here for me is how I find out about the best deals, find out about titles I wouldn't have considered, and maybe see some news.

So for me, and people like me, a plug and play device that will be the standard for a number of years is all that is desired. Once you get into the notion of different spec levels within a generation it becomes an unnecessary complication.

Also think of the average parent with no interest in consoles going to buy the xmas present, trying to deal with GameStop employees looking to Upsell them... No thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,029 ✭✭✭um7y1h83ge06nx

Myself, I'm a moderate gamer, don't have as much time to play as I like, might get 6 to 10 hours max in a week.

Technically I'm in software engineering management, having been a dev for 10 years until recently so technology doesn't scare me at all, I probably like it too much. :p

But I like to keep consoles simple for two reasons. Firstly I spend my working day dealing with various issues and problems, so I like to chill out with a standardised console setup. When I want to mess about I use my Pi.

Secondly I would be too tempted to buy the latest and greatest tech, so I would spend much more money. That's the reason I don't have a gaming PC, I would be constantly upgrading.

Now I know they're going to make things a bit simpler than that but I do see the potential for a slippery slope if they succeed with this model.

If it does get messy I'll probably move to PC and take advantage of cheaper games etc.

Its fair to say that if you're frequenting a forum like this or, even other games websites, you're probably a fair bit more clued in than the average joe or josephine soap when it comes to games, electronics etc.
    The average punter hasn't a clue about whether a game is running at 720p 1080i or howevermany frames per second. They buy their machines & games in places like gamestop as they know no better. They're just buying a machine to play games on their couch with their mates or are being gifted them from parents etc. This why there will always be consoles, even if they are drifting closer to low end pcs. A huge market just want a box that you plug into the wall, into the telly and off you go.

Ah yeah I was talking about myself but very true, begs the question though based on that who or what % of their market would they aim something like they envisage at ? Surely not the whole user base. I mean mammy and daddy aren't going to swap out a graphics unit or ram for the 13 year old even if it was simple and modular many would baulk at the prospect , average 3 games a year gamer just wants COD or Fifa to work and maybe doesn't care about it looking any better or may see the cost of an upgrade as as outweighing any benefit, then theres us who have to make a call over convenience and cost and benefit of upgrading vs a pc rig.

Just me thinking out loud here, bears no basis in fact really :D

EDIT: The other thing is the time it takes to see the benefits of improved hardware it takes time for devolpers output to match the increased specs of the hardware.

Ah yeah I was talking about myself but very true, begs the question though based on that who or what % of their market would they aim something like they envisage at ? Surely not the whole user base. I mean mammy and daddy aren't going to swap out a graphics unit or ram for the 13 year old even if it was simple and modular many would baulk at the prospect , average 3 games a year gamer just wants COD or Fifa to work and maybe doesn't care about it looking any better or may see the cost of an upgrade as as outweighing any benefit, then theres us who have to make a call over convenience and cost and benefit of upgrading vs a pc rig.

Just me thinking out loud here, bears no basis in fact really :D

no worries, I wasnt really directing at you, you just happened to be the last post in the thread!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,420 ✭✭✭FAILSAFE 00

Quite frankly Phil Spencer's statement was incredibly vague. When talking about hardware upgrades he mentioned "In a generation...."

He didn't specify if it was going to be this gen of console or next gen. From his interview you could draw many conclusions that might be all wrong.

I think he needs to clarify his interview a bit more.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,328 ✭✭✭dunworth1

Quite frankly Phil Spencer's statement was incredibly vague. When talking about hardware upgrades he mentioned "In a generation...."

He didn't specify if it was going to be this gen of console or next gen. From his interview you could draw many conclusions that might be all wrong.

I think he needs to clarify his interview a bit more.

testing the water maybe?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,363 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

dunworth1 wrote: »
    testing the water maybe?

Muddying the water, more like.

I can't believe that they still don't know how to "message" properly.

Having a bit of a nightmare with the Linkvision 8 tablet & xbox controller.

The streaming worked once. It will not even see the XBOX now.
    The Windows store won't work, just get errors downloading any apps.
    Those are win 10 issues and nothing to do with the tablet really.

The controllers D Pad down button does not seem to work most of the time, the odd time it works.

Resetting the tablet now, if there are still issues after that It will be going back to Argos, and I won't be recommending this tablet unfortunately.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,202 ✭✭✭maximoose

That sucks. What error are you getting from the store?

I was getting a few errors when I first started with mine alright, then I uninstalled absolutely everything that was an option, installed a heap of updates (which it didn't tell me were available until I went looking) and everything was smooth after that

Strange that it's not even seeing the Xbox though

• Advertisement

The streaming worked once. It will not even see the XBOX now.
    The Windows store won't work, just get errors downloading any apps.
    Those are win 10 issues and nothing to do with the tablet really.

The controllers D Pad down button does not seem to work most of the time, the odd time it works.

Resetting the tablet now, if there are still issues after that It will be going back to Argos, and I won't be recommending this tablet unfortunately.

would you have any friends with xbones that you could try out the tablet / controller there - just to eliminate any possible network issues?

in saying that, since the february update, my smartglass cant find my xb1 on the network anymore.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,297 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

You're welcome to try it on mine Mr Freeze if you want, I'd be surprised if the network is the issue though.

maximoose wrote: »
    That sucks. What error are you getting from the store?

0x803f7000 attempting to download any apps. I was going to try the XBOX Beta app to see if it could see the xbox instead.
    would you have any friends with xbones that you could try out the tablet / controller there - just to eliminate any possible network issues?

Ya I do, I might do that this evening or tomorrow and see. But it did work once for me and then not since.

Also my Win 10 laptop can see and stream no problem. Both are running the same version of the XBOX app.
    Mickeroo wrote: »
    You're welcome to try it on mine Mr Freeze if you want, I'd be surprised if the network is the issue though.

Cheers Mickeroo, I'm sure you just wanna a go on it if works too ;). It was cool when it worked.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,431 ✭✭✭rottie 11

Is black ops backwards compatible yet ?

rottie 11 wrote: »
    Is black ops backwards compatible yet ?

Nope. Was supposed to be last month as far as I know.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,247 ✭✭✭Max Mafioso

Ok I am getting a bit nervous now about my order! :(

in saying that, since the february update, my smartglass cant find my xb1 on the network anymore.

I can connect to mine but I cant switch it on however I can switch off the Xbox from it

Ok I am getting a bit nervous now about my order! :(

Did you order one Max?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,381 ✭✭✭✭Allyall

They have a dedicated forum that may help with a lot of your issues.
    Linx Support seem to get a very good rating and for people that have similar issues to you, they have even sent out a USB with the factory image on it, to reset the OS. That's pretty impressive, rather than sending a large file download and DIY etc..

http://www.linxtablet.co.uk/viewforum.php?f=66

I've read over a lot of the issues and fixes, and while a few complained about the weight (holding the tablet for a long time), and others did have streaming problems, only a very small few sent it back. I'm still thinking of buying one.

You try the beta version of the xbox app from the store? I can't comment on other devices but on a desktop and laptop here the regular versions of Xbox or smartglass apps always have trouble in some form, and ironically the supposed beta has zero issues for me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,247 ✭✭✭Max Mafioso

Did you order one Max?

I did yeah from Amazon, was €160ish

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement