Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Xbox One General Discussion - Part 2 (Please Read 1st Post)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭Stone Deaf 4evr

Mickeroo wrote: »
    Do you have a decent router? I have a bog standard eircom one and our internet is only 16mb, would that effect it much? I was playing ELite:Dangerous for the last hour and it was fine bar a couple of times where it lost connection to the console completely, tried a match of Halo there earlier though and it was awful, people were killing me before they fired on my screen and everything, felt like I was a fraction of a second behind with the controls too.. Would have ended up with no kills if I hadn't managed to kamikaze someone in a banshee :D

I dunno about using halo as the benchmark, I was on for a couple of hours today and I was consistently playing Americans. Had a six match losing streak and went negative every game. I don't rage much anymore but that was disheartening. I think they've opened up the matchmaking parameters somewhat but it wasn't a great experience as far as I was concerned anyways.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,297 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

I dunno about using halo as the benchmark, I was on for a couple of hours today and I was consistently playing Americans. Had a six match losing streak and went negative every game. I don't rage much anymore but that was disheartening. I think they've opened up the matchmaking parameters somewhat but it wasn't a great experience as far as I was concerned anyways.

I'll have to give it a go on the console and see, there was a lot of moaning on reddit and the like about the region locked matcmaking so maybe they ditched it.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

Allyall wrote: »
    These are excellent.
    Xiaomi Mini Router, Xiaomi Youth Router and the Xiaomi Wifi Repeater
    You won't get better for the money, I'd go for the Mini, as it has 2.4G/5G and would be more future prooof. You may find them cheaper elsewhere or faster shipping, but definitely something you should look at.

Honestly, if you are going to go for your own router, it's worth spending a bit more money on something that will last for years. The latest and greatest wireless tech is 802.11ac, combined with something called MU-MIMO. General rule of thumb is the more antennas, the better.

Thing is, hardly any of your devices will support this now, but in 5 years time? I'd probably get ten years out of my own router.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,675 ✭✭✭dr.kenneth noisewater

CatInABox wrote:
    Thing is, hardly any of your devices will support this now, but in 5 years time? I'd probably get ten years out of my own router.

What do u have out of interest?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,381 ✭✭✭✭Allyall

CatInABox wrote: »
    Honestly, if you are going to go for your own router, it's worth spending a bit more money on something that will last for years. The latest and greatest wireless tech is 802.11ac, combined with something called MU-MIMO. General rule of thumb is the more antennas, the better.

I meant more as a Wireless repeater. I use mine as an extender, but the mini is also an excellent router for ~ €20.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,746 ✭✭✭irishmover

In my experience repeaters are just not good enough and have interfered too much with multiple devices.

You're best to get a second router.

I personally bought the D-link 2890AL approx a year ago and bridged my cable router. My internet would crash every time I loaded the Arms 3 servers menu. Haven't had a single crash in a year and wireless extends to the end of my house (admittedly not a big house but 3 bedrooms with the router on one side of the house).

The 2890AL does have both 2.4ghz and 5ghz but I'd try find something newer as I think that's a couple years old now.

I'd run with something like that and overline power adapters instead of repeaters.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

What do u have out of interest?

I used an Archer C7 v2, rock solid and great features. It's a little out of date now, there's updated versions out there with the "ac".

What's worse is that, for various reasons, my parents needed it more than I did, so now they've got great Wifi, and I'm stuck using a Virgin Media box here in the UK. If I download too much without giving it a half hour break, it just turns off.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,799 ✭✭✭MiskyBoyy

Gears of War 4 trailer is looking REALLY good! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1 noithatintech

Xbox gaming

Xbox gaming

A superb first post. :)

Welcome to the Xbox Forum. Be sure to read the charter.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭mossym

first, ignore what you have for broadband. 16mb or 1.6, doesn't matter. if you aren't seeing the issue when playing on the xbox itself it's not your broadband, it's the home network. if you are seeing it while playing on the xbox then that's a very different matter.

second, everyone is focusing on your home network. they're probably right, but i wonder is your laptop/pc the issue, worth ruling that out. not sure what the processor/video reqirements are for streaming, but it could be your laptop isn't up to the job. To rule that out, connect the laptop to your router with a network cable, and try streaming. if that works then it's your wireless connection

lastly, i presume you have, while streaming, reduced the quality down to the lower settings to see if it addressed the problem? trying to run on the highest could be tough. i can do that if i am in some rooms in the house, but if in one room i have to drop the quality down to medium to get it to work reliably.

also, did you run the streaming test and what did it tell you?

that's a few things to try before you rush out spending money on a router

mossym wrote: »
    first, ignore what you have for broadband. 16mb or 1.6, doesn't matter. if you aren't seeing the issue when playing on the xbox itself it's not your broadband, it's the home network. if you are seeing it while playing on the xbox then that's a very different matter.

second, everyone is focusing on your home network. they're probably right, but i wonder is your laptop/pc the issue, worth ruling that out. not sure what the processor/video reqirements are for streaming, but it could be your laptop isn't up to the job. To rule that out, connect the laptop to your router with a network cable, and try streaming. if that works then it's your wireless connection

lastly, i presume you have, while streaming, reduced the quality down to the lower settings to see if it addressed the problem? trying to run on the highest could be tough. i can do that if i am in some rooms in the house, but if in one room i have to drop the quality down to medium to get it to work reliably.

Thanks, Mossym, a great post on this.

Here's the recommended specs for Xbox One Streaming on Windows 10:
    For best performance, we recommend that your Windows 10 PC have:
    • At least 2 gigabytes of RAM
    • 1.5 GHz CPU or faster
    • Network connection to your home network:
    • Best performance: Wired Ethernet connection
    • Good performance: Wireless – 5 GHz 802.11 N or 802.11 AC wireless access point
    • Limited performance: Wireless – 2.4 GHz 802.11 N or 802.11 AC wireless access point

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,297 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

mossym wrote: »

Theres a streaming test? :o

My laptop is an i3, 6gb ram and really crap integrated graphics (intel hd family). Its probably about 4 years old now.

I was using medium settungs and there dudntseem to be much difference between that and low for E:Dangerous.

• Registered Users Posts: 570 ✭✭✭Adventagious

Xbox gaming

Hell yeah, xbox gaming!

can't remember what exact spec my home laptop is, but think it's an i5 with 8gb ram. benefit of wife working in Dell is that we get a pretty decent discount so tend to get a decent spec unit when ordering .

i'd try the cabled to the router first, that'll tell you an awful lot about where the issue is

• Registered Users Posts: 2,058 ✭✭✭shuffles03

What are people's thoughts on Microsoft Movies & TV? We watch Netflix though our Xbox One and were previously thinking of getting Apple TV (we already have a family Apple Music subscription). Yay or nay for Microsoft? Also, Groove music......any good?

shuffles03 wrote: »
    What are people's thoughts on Microsoft Movies & TV? We watch Netflix though our Xbox One and were previously thinking of getting Apple TV (we already have a family Apple Music subscription). Yay or nay for Microsoft? Also, Groove music......any good?

I don't use their Movies and Tv app, the last I read on it (admittedly ages ago now), they were grand in terms of quality of streaming and all, but their terms weren't as generous and they can be slightly more expensive. It may have changed since of course.

Their Groove service, on the other hand, is something I use all the time. Price wise, they're much the same as any other service, but a few christmasses ago, they had a 50% off sale, so I got a few years worth of service out of them. It's missing all the social aspects of Spotify, but other than that it's grand. All of the apps on phones and on the web seem to be fine, never really had a problem with them, but the Xbox One app is in need of a refresh. Takes ages to sync playlists. I think it's changing soon actually, next few months.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,202 ✭✭✭maximoose

Something I didn't think of before... when universal apps start rolling out, is there a chance we may see a Kodi app for Xbox One? Would be amazing.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,381 ✭✭✭✭Allyall

maximoose wrote: »
    Something I didn't think of before... when universal apps start rolling out, is there a chance we may see a Kodi app for Xbox One? Would be amazing.

Considering that's where Kodi originates, I doubt it :)

maximoose wrote: »

It's certainly possible, but it might not get past the Microsoft approval process. Rightly or wrongly, it's got a reputation of enabling piracy, and while the developers are doing everything they can to shake that rep, it may be a while before it'll get through to the app store.

I also believe that any video that's played on the Xbox One has to use Microsoft player for it, so they'd need to support that in Kodi, and I'm not sure if that's something that the developers will do, as it won't have any benefit to the other versions. Good thing about Kodi is that anyone can download the code and get to work on it.

• Advertisement

It's certainly possible, but it might not get past the Microsoft approval process. Rightly or wrongly, it's got a reputation of enabling piracy, and while the developers are doing everything they can to shake that rep, it may be a while before it'll get through to the app store.

maybe they could change the name, avoid the link with kodi. call it something like Xbox one media centre or something. shorten it to XBoMC. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,507 ✭✭✭runawaybishop

shuffles03 wrote: »

Movies and TV is a horrendous price. Groove is good. The Xbox supports dlna so I just stream movies to it directly myself.

Movies and TV is a horrendous price. Groove is good. The Xbox supports dlna so I just stream movies to it directly myself.

Plex app went free a while ago , you should look at a plex set up if you haven't already.

Plex app went free a while ago , you should look at a plex set up if you haven't already.

I only set up Plex for the first time yesterday after Netflix forced my hand into becoming a filthy pirate again, its brilliant.

I only set up Plex for the first time yesterday after Netflix forced my hand into becoming a filthy pirate again, its brilliant.

If you have a samsung smart TV they have an app on there too. I don't use it so much anymore since I got one of the bargain alerts thread wetek boxes I'm openelec/kodi all the way. But never fear remind me via pm and i'll tell you some plex secrets :rolleyes:

Best thing about plex is everything is handled server side ie your pc so you can install what ever and it will work client side.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,420 ✭✭✭FAILSAFE 00

I have an amazon Firestick that runs Kodi and is hooked into the Xbox One TV port.

Very handy.

I set Plex up on my media server, and when I realised how good it was, I bought the lifetime plex pass. I'm travelling fairly often, so being able to stream my videos over the internet so easily is a just lifesaver.

I set Plex up on my media server, and when I realised how good it was, I bought the lifetime plex pass. I'm travelling fairly often, so being able to stream my videos over the internet so easily is a just lifesaver.

What do you have it running off? Mine is only on my laptop at the moment.

if you have any old pc lying around, doesn't really matter what spec, have a look at unraid. i have an 8tb server built from an old mobo and cpu, no monitor sitting at home running unraid. plex xerver installed and working beautifully. the hardware requirements are very low. it does take a bit of tinkering with though, but apart from drive costs is a really nice cheap solution

• Advertisement

What do you have it running off? Mine is only on my laptop at the moment.

I use a Readynas 314. Bought an older version years and years ago, and then the power supply shorted out 1 month before the five year warranty was out, so they sent me out one of those. It's pretty low power, so I can keep it on all the time.

If I was to do it all again, I'd have built my own, along the lines of what mossym has posted above.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement