Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Xbox One General Discussion - Part 2 (Please Read 1st Post)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,370 ✭✭✭GAAman

Anyone had any media player trouble since updates? Noticed a few times media player updated recently always around 400 meg or so but since last one playback on certain local files has been affected.

These files worked perfectly fine beforehand seems like a codec mess up

• Registered Users Posts: 461 ✭✭gmg678

GAAman wrote: »
    Anyone had any media player trouble since updates? Noticed a few times media player updated recently always around 400 meg or so but since last one playback on certain local files has been affected.

These files worked perfectly fine beforehand seems like a codec mess up

sometimes it wont recognize having a USB HD attached for media. that is all I have noticed.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

Rayman Origins is now available on Xbox One Backward Compatibility

https://twitter.com/majornelson/status/723169550431313920

• Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭Stone Deaf 4evr

• Advertisement

Got a message on live there for a free Fallout 4 themed car in Forza 6. I don't have forza so if someone want's it let me know. If you played Fallout 4 you will get this message too.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭mossym

have one of those two if anyone wants it

• Registered Users Posts: 1,703 ✭✭✭JoyPad

Got a message on live there for a free Fallout 4 themed car in Forza 6. I don't have forza so if someone want's it let me know. If you played Fallout 4 you will get this message too.

I got the car for free, but I had no idea where it came from. I initially thought they misspelled Chrysler. Never played Fallout, we don't own any of those games.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,247 ✭✭✭Max Mafioso

JoyPad wrote: »
    I got the car for free, but I had no idea where it came from. I initially thought they misspelled Chrysler. Never played Fallout, we don't own any of those games.

Or do you? Going by your past posts, someone may have purchased it without you knowing ;)

Ah I'm just kidding :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,319 ✭✭✭Al_Coholic

ohhhhh im finally getting Forza 6 today so if there is a code for the Fallout car ill gladly take one.

thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 570 ✭✭✭Adventagious

Al_Coholic wrote: »
    ohhhhh im finally getting Forza 6 today so if there is a code for the Fallout car ill gladly take one.

thanks

Sent you mine there, enjoy.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,993 ✭✭✭✭GBX

I have a code as well if anybody would like it?

• Registered Users Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

Been doing a bit of research (read: procrastinating when I should be studying) about getting an Xbox One.

Looking to treat myself after my final year exams in a couple of weeks time.

I have a PS4 but I've always been a big Halo and Gears of War fan so with the upcoming release of GoW4 I feel the time is right to bite the bullet and get one.

Just a few questions:

Buying the hardware itself. I've been doing a bit of online browsing and there's not much of a difference in price between the likes of Gamestop/Smyths.
    I'm not a fan of Gamestop's prices (who is) but I've bought pretty much all my consoles from them and when I had a fault with my Xbox 360 Slim, they changed it without any hassle.

I'm assuming Smyths run the same type of policy?

I've no loyalty to either but I'm happy to hear what you guys have to say.

----

Kinect. Is it even worth having/getting a bundle with this in it?

----

Like nearly all of my consoles (past and present), I have them standing vertically to save on space. I've read comments online saying they have their Xbox One standing. Others say, it's not designed to be stood up like that.

Ok, it's a stupid question and won't make or break my decision making on whether or not to buy one. What would you recommend? Leave it sitting as is or take the risk and have it standing.

----

Video playback.

My external hard drive is filled with movies/tv shows/MMA events and all run in different video formats. It's nigh on impossible to get them playing on my PS4 because certain playback isn't supported.

Is there an app on the Xbox One like GOM or VLC player that will play most if not all video formats?

----

Games.

Obviously I'll be looking to play a few games and the Master Chief Collection is a definite purchase for me.

What exclusive titles are worth getting also?

• Registered Users Posts: 416 ✭✭Faker74

I'll let others deal with the more specific queries you have, but when it comes to price Argos would be the first place I'd check, 9 times out of 10 they have the best deals on consoles, and if they aren't currently running an offer, give it a couple of weeks and they will be.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,297 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Regards console exclusives, Sunset Overdrive is really good and free with gold until the end of the month so definitely grab that even if you don't have the console yet.

Media playback is great too, there's MS's own app, plex which will allow you to play pretty much anything and VLC will also be available soon too.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

That_Guy wrote: »
    Been doing a bit of research (read: procrastinating when I should be studying) about getting an Xbox One.

It's been a while since the price of a bundle came up, but a few months ago, Argos had the best prices going for bundles. I'm not sure what it is now, but they also have a pretty good no questions asked returns policy.

Kinect is not essential at all, the main thing it's used for is voice control of the console, but it's entirely optional, and if you're trying to save money, then this is the first to go. You can also check the price in CEX as well, they sell second hand ones all the time.

Not sure on the positioning. I have mine horizontal, but if I was going to stand it on it's side, I'd be sure to get some risers so the vents aren't blocked.

I've got an extensive video library myself, and the Xbox plays about 99% of them without issue. I use the plex app, but there is a VLC app coming too, it will be the same as the Windows 10 store app, so check the list of compatibilities there.

Halo 5, Sunset Overdrive, Forza 6/Forza Horizon. Don't ever buy any EA games, as they'll all come out on EA Access anyway, so get that instead. The free Games with Gold can be terrible, but have recently been great. It's also compatible with a lot of 360 games now, so you can look into those too.

Oh, and good luck with the exams!

Buying the hardware itself. I've been doing a bit of online browsing and there's not much of a difference in price between the likes of Gamestop/Smyths.
    I'm not a fan of Gamestop's prices (who is) but I've bought pretty much all my consoles from them and when I had a fault with my Xbox 360 Slim, they changed it without any hassle.

I'm assuming Smyths run the same type of policy?

I've no loyalty to either but I'm happy to hear what you guys have to say.

Check Argos, they sometimes have a very good deal, I got my One along with Destiny, Halo MCC, Minecraft, GTA V and some other game all for €400 and that was December 2014

Kinect. Is it even worth having/getting a bundle with this in it?

It seems a bit split on here, personally I do not see the point in it, if I want to change channel I can use my remote, if I want to switch to a different game, take a picture or record gameplay, I can use the controller so its really up to yourself if you think you need it or not

Like nearly all of my consoles (past and present), I have them standing vertically to save on space. I've read comments online saying they have their Xbox One standing. Others say, it's not designed to be stood up like that.

Ok, it's a stupid question and won't make or break my decision making on whether or not to buy one. What would you recommend? Leave it sitting as is or take the risk and have it standing.

I alternated with my 360 between having it vertical and horizontal but with the One its always been horizontal, just my own preference, I dont know if it makes any difference or if having it vertical affects the disks, if you buy disks.
    Video playback.

My external hard drive is filled with movies/tv shows/MMA events and all run in different video formats. It's nigh on impossible to get them playing on my PS4 because certain playback isn't supported.

Is there an app on the Xbox One like GOM or VLC player that will play most if not all video formats?

I have an external HDD and USB with movies on it, I have not had any problems playing them on the console through the player, I can also stream/mirror from my mobile to the console for anything that I dont have on the HDD
    Games.

Obviously I'll be looking to play a few games and the Master Chief Collection is a definite purchase for me.

What exclusive titles are worth getting also?

Sunset Overdrive!!
    If you get setup before the end of the month and get Gold, you can get it for free, its a great game!
    If you like racing games, the Forza games are great.
    Ryse: Son of Rome, though i am sure it will be available on Gold soon ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,507 ✭✭✭runawaybishop

They are not supposed to be stood on their side, and Ms call this out. In reality I have had consoles in their side, covered in papers and in some cases stacked 3 high and have had absolutely no issues with devices failing.

• Registered Users Posts: 416 ✭✭Faker74

CatInABox wrote: »
    Kinect is not essential at all, the main thing it's used for is voice control of the console, but it's entirely optional, and if you're trying to save money, then this is the first to go. You can also check the price in CEX as well, they sell second hand ones all the time.

CEX sell second hand Kinects for 50 quid, think gamestop do them for the same price. So yeah, i'd buy the console without it then pick it up at a later date.

This is actually what I intend to do myself, when i get around to it / have nothing better to do with 50 quid!

Mickeroo wrote: »
    Regards console exclusives, Sunset Overdrive is really good and free with gold until the end of the month so definitely grab that even if you don't have the console yet.

I would have had a MS account with my 360 so I can grab the game now with a Live membership and it'll be ready to go for when I get the console?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,202 ✭✭✭maximoose

Correct yep

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,297 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

That_Guy wrote: »
    I would have had a MS account with my 360 so I can grab the game now with a Live membership and it'll be ready to go for when I get the console?

I think so yeah. The Wolf Among Us and Saints Row IV are free at the moment too btw.

Also some more Exclusives
    Rise of the Tomb Raider(Though I think this is only until November or something before it is out on PS4 also)
    Ori and the Blind Forest
    Crackdown
    Scalebound
    State of Decay: Year One Survival Edition
    #IDARB
    Below
    The Escapists
    Fruit Ninja Kinect 2
    Scream Ride
    Cuphead
    Neverwinter
    Happy Wars
    Funk of Titans

I should have mentioned before, get EA Access, €25 for the year and you get free games as long as you have the sub. You have Dead Space, Battlefield 3, 4, Hardline, Fifa 14, 15, 16. UFC, NHL and well loads more as well as 1 hour of gameplay on the likes of Star Wars Battlefront and Rory McIlroy

Were we all just waiting around waiting to help out? :D

90% of my time in work is checking on here if there are any posts, yesterday was slow as hell!! :D

Final bit of advice, there's rumours of an update Xbox One being announced in June at E3. Possibility of an actual updated console (i.e. more powerful), or an Xbox "Slim", or both.

It's up to you if you think it would be worth holding off on, but if you do get one now, I don't think you'll be disappointed.

Found this offer on Argos
    http://www.argos.ie/static/Product/partNumber/4830434/c_1/1%7Ccategory_root%7CVideo+games%7C14419738/c_2/3%7C19780877%7CXbox+One%7C37328270/c_3/4%7Ccat_37328270%7CXbox+One+consoles%7C37328802.htm

Xbox One 500GB Console with Kinect and 3 Games for €329.99
    3 games are Zoo Tycoon, Dance Central and I think Kinect Sports Rival
    You can trade the games in at CEX.
    Zoo Tycoon will get you €14 Store credit and Sports Rival will get you €23
    If you dont want the Kinect, CEX will give you €30 for it so thats €67 back.
    They dont seem to have Dance Central on their list.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,507 ✭✭✭runawaybishop

CatInABox wrote: »
    Final bit of advice, there's rumours of an update Xbox One being announced in June at E3. Possibility of an actual updated console (i.e. more powerful), or an Xbox "Slim", or both.

I'd say that is ages away

• Registered Users Posts: 28,131 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

Found this offer on Argos
    http://www.argos.ie/static/Product/partNumber/4830434/c_1/1%7Ccategory_root%7CVideo+games%7C14419738/c_2/3%7C19780877%7CXbox+One%7C37328270/c_3/4%7Ccat_37328270%7CXbox+One+consoles%7C37328802.htm

Xbox One 500GB Console with Kinect and 3 Games for €329.99
    3 games are Zoo Tycoon, Dance Central and I think Kinect Sports Rival
    You can trade the games in at CEX.
    Zoo Tycoon will get you €14 Store credit and Sports Rival will get you €23
    If you dont want the Kinect, CEX will give you €30 for it so thats €67 back.
    They dont seem to have Dance Central on their list.

Those games are more than likely download codes so CEX won't buy them off you.

• Advertisement

I was looking at that offer from Argos alright. It's probably the best priced. That being said, for an extra €40 I'm likely to go for the top offer from Smyths.
    http://www.smythstoys.com/ie/en-ie/page/o/xboxonebundledeals/

€369.99

500 GB Xbox One + Extra Controller + 3 months Xbox Live + choice of downloadable game (Tomb Raider, Forza 6, GoW Ultimate Edition or Rare Replay)

Deal available until June anyway and it looks to be the most competitively priced bundle from what I can gather.

The extra controller and the 3 months of live are really pushing me towards this deal.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement