Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Xbox One General Discussion - Part 2 (Please Read 1st Post)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,420 ✭✭✭FAILSAFE 00

Allyall wrote: »
    Why are they selling this gen off so cheaply?
    I've seen them less than €200 new, and the collectors/limited editions 1TB for €280.
    There must be a reason they are doing that? Is it just to to keep up with Sony, as they are selling off theirs to bring out the neo.

No doubt they can afford it, and their hand may have been forced, but it's going to get bad for them if the Neo comes out in September. Very few will buy the Xbox One unless they keep the price down and maybe even lower.

:confused: Less than €200 new. I've never seen that.

I think the cheapest I've ever seen it was about €340 new.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,381 ✭✭✭✭Allyall

:confused: Less than €200 new. I've never seen that.

I think the cheapest I've ever seen it was about €340 new.

Sorry, I should have mentioned - on the Continent.
    All the time.

It's the same for every console. Much cheaper there.

I bought this when it was down at €259 and got it shipped here for €23 using a mailforwarder.

There are offers like this all of the time in Germany/Switzerland/France - 199CHF = €179 (4 different bundles at that price) and that's only one store in one Country. I've seen loads of them since March/April.

• Still think it's outrageous only 3 years into the current console life-cylce that a new upgraded model will be put in place.
    Puts a huge pressure on the developers
    First and formost they are going to want to utilize the extra power however the majority of the user base will still have the "old" consoles

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭mossym

dunworth1 wrote: »
    Next gen 2017? Nope. Dec 2017 maybe for first leaked pics. It's miles away.

That's good news as far as I'm concerned otherwise the gen cycle would be way to short.

People are still upgrading from the 360
    it's not really the next gen though is it? from what they are saying its the same gen, i imagine games will have to run on both, just with extra features/detail on the higher spec

• Registered Users Posts: 1,206 ✭✭✭Spudman_20000

As long as there isn't a huge difference between non-VR games across the current and updated consoles, then it should be fine. Anyone that wants to pay big bucks for the updated console and VR tech, more power to them.

Hopefully this VR gamble pays off, or it could backfire badly on Microsoft and Sony. People typically purchase consoles with the expectation that they'll get 5-7 years of a cycle out of them. It's not like phones, where you buy the current iPhone with the knowledge that a newer version is probably not too far down the road.

MS and Sony are obviously banking on VR being the next big thing, with lots of people purchasing the hardware. I'm not so sure, as I can see the costs being prohibitive for most people.

A lot of gamers are kids whose parents have bought the current gen consoles for them in the past 3 years. How is a parent going to react when the kid is looking for the newer version of the console plus €300-€400 for VR?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,495 ✭✭✭Oafley Jones

A lot of gamers are kids whose parents have bought the current gen consoles for them in the past 3 years. How is a parent going to react when the kid is looking for the newer version of the console plus €300-€400 for VR?

Besides telling them to feck off ye spoilt brats, they've also the tough titty approach. Oculus has a minimum recommendation of 13 plus for their hardware.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,381 ✭✭✭✭Allyall

MS and Sony are obviously banking on VR being the next big thing, with lots of people purchasing the hardware. I'm not so sure, as I can see the costs being prohibitive for most people.
    Not so sure about Sonys/Facebooks/Samsungs etc.. VR

But the HoloLens looks insane. Assuming it can bring the same details as the closed headsets, I can't imagine that not doing well.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,539 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Is elite dangerous any good for Xbox 1?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,202 ✭✭✭maximoose

paging Mickeroo

Besides telling them to feck off ye spoilt brats, they've also the tough titty approach. Oculus has a minimum recommendation of 13 plus for their hardware.

Of course, but my point is where will all these new hardware sales come from?

At best, you're looking at gamers selling their current gen consoles at a huge loss, purchasing the more expensive new console and then VR hardware on top of that. Doesn't seem to me to be a huge market.

And will anyone that doesn't already own a current gen console be interested in this new hardware? I doubt it, otherwise surely they would have already dipped their toes with the current gen.

• Advertisement
  • Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,297 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Is elite dangerous any good for Xbox 1?

I've sunk a lot of hours into it and don't look like letting up anytime soon. It's he same as the PC version pretty much, a couple of patches behind but it will be all caught up within the next couple of weeks. The background sim is shared with PC but you can't interact directly with PC playes (likely will happen eventually though).

The Horizons expansioon is out on June 3rd which will introduce planetary landings (only rocky/icy planets with no atmosphere for now) and a loot/crafting system, there'll be more added to it before the year is out too. Think it's priced around €25 if you have the base game already, otherwise there'll be a bundle including it and the base game for about €50 or you can just buy the base game without Horizons of course.

All I'll say is don't expect the bright colours and that of something like No Man's Sky and it's very much a sim more than a game, there's no campaign or anything it's very much what you make of it and it can be very very grindy if you let it be, getting the bigger ships in the game takes hundreds of hours but there's no real reason you need them to enjoy the game.
    maximoose wrote: »
    paging Mickeroo

>_> <_< >_<

• Registered Users Posts: 9,507 ✭✭✭runawaybishop

Of course, but my point is where will all these new hardware sales come from?

At best, you're looking at gamers selling their current gen consoles at a huge loss, purchasing the more expensive new console and then VR hardware on top of that. Doesn't seem to me to be a huge market.

And will anyone that doesn't already own a current gen console be interested in this new hardware? I doubt it, otherwise surely they would have already dipped their toes with the current gen.

It will be cross platform, will work in PC and Xbox . That will entice people.

It will be cross platform, will work in PC and Xbox . That will entice people.

I'm referring to sales of the higher spec Xbox One hardware more so than the VR hardware.

Anyway, I'm far from convinced but we'll wait and see. It's not like Microsoft have ever overestimated the popularity of an external peripheral device before......oh.

saw mention of a microsoft tv stick, like a version of the google chromecast yesterday, rumoured to be launching at e3. it suggested it would allow xbox to be streamed to any tv, including games. if it's true, i'll be buying a couple

Yep, if it's true I'll be selling my Linx Vision tab and getting one or two of those.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭Stone Deaf 4evr

Yep, if it's true I'll be selling my Linx Vision tab and getting one or two of those.

I've always said that a disc drive free xbox 360 working as a set top box was a no brainer. specially with the higher standard of games with gold now.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,799 ✭✭✭MiskyBoyy

SSX is coming to b.c today

mossym wrote: »
    saw mention of a microsoft tv stick, like a version of the google chromecast yesterday, rumoured to be launching at e3. it suggested it would allow xbox to be streamed to any tv, including games. if it's true, i'll be buying a couple

This I would think is almost 100% true, it's not that big a leap from the MS wireless display adaptor thats already available.

It will have to stream games for it to be worth getting otherwise you would be better served by something like an android / kodi box or amazon firestick.

I certainly wouldn't bite though until I see what UWP apps arrive because whats there on the store at the moment is total rubbish vs other platforms in the TV space. Word is though Emby and Plex clients will be UWP , doubt we'll see kodi for it though.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,131 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

This I would think is almost 100% true, it's not that big a leap from the MS wireless display adaptor thats already available.

It will have to stream games for it to be worth getting otherwise you would be better served by something like an android / kodi box or amazon firestick.

I certainly wouldn't bite though until I see what UWP apps arrive because whats there on the store at the moment is total rubbish vs other platforms in the TV space. Word is though Emby and Plex clients will be UWP , doubt we'll see kodi for it though.

Aslong as it streams my games I'm happy with it.

Need to get the pricing right though. More than €100 and your probably asking to much if I'm being honest.

emmetkenny wrote: »
    Aslong as it streams my games I'm happy with it.

Need to get the pricing right though. More than €100 and your probably asking to much if I'm being honest.

The wireless display adaptor I mentioned is around 50 quid so with xbox streaming I'd go to 100 for it max but I already have several devices that can do apps and TV stuff. Im thinking it will have controller support and an app store etc I'm imagining it to be like amazon's only with xbox/ms stuff on it. The only thing that would concern me is the store and app support. MS app store has always been the bottom of the pile, and it's worse if you live outside the US in terms of MS and Apps.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 416 ✭✭Faker74

I find the notion of having a two tier console generation to be mis-step.

I am the dictionary definition of a casual gamer, I use a console to play the latest version of FIFA/PES and then 3 or 4 new release games per year. I want a console that I can buy off the shelf and know its good for 4 to 5 years of gaming. The last thing I, and people as casual as me want, is to pick up a game and see a sticker on it saying “optimised for XB1+” (or whatever it will be called). Or have a table on the back of the case showing the features available on the upper tier of the generation but not on the original iteration.

A mid generation refresh is good and to be expected, making the unit smaller, run cooler/more energy efficient, or even just manufacturing at a lower cost, but getting into a PC gaming style split of the latest and greatest tech is going to turn off a lot of people.

Even if it’s a case that the updated consoles are just being spec’d up to enable VR usage I can’t see developers not want to use the extra resources for non-VR games.

Faker74 wrote: »
    I find the notion of having a two tier console generation to be mis-step.

I am the dictionary definition of a casual gamer, I use a console to play the latest version of FIFA/PES and then 3 or 4 new release games per year. I want a console that I can buy off the shelf and know its good for 4 to 5 years of gaming. The last thing I, and people as casual as me want, is to pick up a game and see a sticker on it saying “optimised for XB1+” (or whatever it will be called). Or have a table on the back of the case showing the features available on the upper tier of the generation but not on the original iteration.

A mid generation refresh is good and to be expected, making the unit smaller, run cooler/more energy efficient, or even just manufacturing at a lower cost, but getting into a PC gaming style split of the latest and greatest tech is going to turn off a lot of people.

Even if it’s a case that the updated consoles are just being spec’d up to enable VR usage I can’t see developers not want to use the extra resources for non-VR games.

Well, technically, if the Xbox 1.5 or whatever it's called doesn't come out till 2017, that's a 4 year lifespan on the first one

Am I in the minority in really not giving a shîte about VR?

mossym wrote: »

agreed. i'd only get it for the game streaming. already have streaming devices on almost every tv to handle kodi, plex and netflix. but adding xbox streaming would be superb. would make juggling screens with the wife/kids a lot easier

Am I in the minority in really not giving a sh te about VR?
    not at all. i couldn't care less about it

• Registered Users Posts: 2,247 ✭✭✭Max Mafioso

Unless its going to be something along the lines of Star Treks HoloRoom or Red Dwarf's VR then I have no interest.
    I want to be able to actually feel like I am in the environment and be able to touch the wome.......stuff that I see

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,297 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Same here for the most part but Elite Dangerous is meant to be amazing in VR so you can probably guess why I'm not totally against it :P

nope,

I'd like to try it to see what all the fuss is about, but realistically it doesnt hold any huge appeal at the moment. I usually play when the kids are in bed, so I'm keeping an ear on them at all times anyway - I hardly use my audio headset in that case, I cant see myself shutting myself away from the world in a VR headset.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,618 ✭✭✭Mr Freeze

I don't think so.

I couldn't care less about it. I'm sure its great as a bit of a novelty, but no way would I be playing all games that way.

Its too expensive as a novelty thing.
    Mad reason, sure the house could be robbed when I am hooked into that thing.
    Also, I'm sure my wife would hate it if I was playing VR loads, she'd be thinking and probably letting me know "what have I married, it was bad enough when you were playing regular games!". :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 416 ✭✭Faker74

People who have tried it rave about the experience.

But until the tech becomes more affordable it won't go beyond being a niche product.

There is an argument to be made that if you bundled a VR headset with future consoles you could see an uptake in interest, but given the way people reacted when the Xbox One was initially going to be bundled with Kinect I don't know how viable an option that is either!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement