Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Xbox One General Discussion - Part 2 (Please Read 1st Post)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,461 ✭✭✭ibFoxer

maximoose wrote: »
    Am I in the minority in really not giving a shîte about VR?

Nope. Hella nope. Couldn't care less.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,507 ✭✭✭runawaybishop

Faker74 wrote: »
    I find the notion of having a two tier console generation to be mis-step.

I am the dictionary definition of a casual gamer, I use a console to play the latest version of FIFA/PES and then 3 or 4 new release games per year. I want a console that I can buy off the shelf and know its good for 4 to 5 years of gaming. The last thing I, and people as casual as me want, is to pick up a game and see a sticker on it saying “optimised for XB1+” (or whatever it will be called). Or have a table on the back of the case showing the features available on the upper tier of the generation but not on the original iteration.

A mid generation refresh is good and to be expected, making the unit smaller, run cooler/more energy efficient, or even just manufacturing at a lower cost, but getting into a PC gaming style split of the latest and greatest tech is going to turn off a lot of people.

Even if it’s a case that the updated consoles are just being spec’d up to enable VR usage I can’t see developers not want to use the extra resources for non-VR games.

I dont see this as 2 tier, the e3 console is just a revision, smaller, quieter, cheaper etc but with the same end specs. The console for 2017 is a new console, BC has already greenlit the way for this. You buy the new console and all your current xbox one games work fine on it. Xbox one games will sell in tandem with xbox X games and eventually drop off, much like the 360. Those that want to run teh latest gen will do so, others can take their time until the price drops. Its pretty much what we have currently, just faster iterations.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,420 ✭✭✭FAILSAFE 00

They'll be doing well to make an Xbox One revision quieter. I've never heard anything at all from it.

Smaller doesn't really appeal to me either. It would just sit in the same spot under the TV.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

They'll be doing well to make an Xbox One revision quieter. I've never heard anything at all from it.

Smaller doesn't really appeal to me either. It would just sit in the same spot under the TV.
    My power supply is awful loud, but xbox itself is whisper quiet.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,420 ✭✭✭FAILSAFE 00

Maybe see if you can get Microsoft to send out a new one. I heard some people had this problem a good while back.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,799 ✭✭✭MiskyBoyy

Is it plugged directly into the wall outlet or into a socket gangway/extension lead?

Unless the HDD is upgraded I can't see existing owners upgrading. It'll be aimed at replacements and new users

• Registered Users Posts: 1,206 ✭✭✭Spudman_20000

I dont see this as 2 tier, the e3 console is just a revision, smaller, quieter, cheaper etc but with the same end specs. The console for 2017 is a new console, BC has already greenlit the way for this. You buy the new console and all your current xbox one games work fine on it. Xbox one games will sell in tandem with xbox X games and eventually drop off, much like the 360. Those that want to run teh latest gen will do so, others can take their time until the price drops. Its pretty much what we have currently, just faster iterations.

There's a big assumption that people will buy a new console in shorter interations. If you look at the marketplace, I would imagine people who buy consoles buy them specifically so thay don't need to upgrade their gaming setup every couple of years. Otherwise, these gamers would buy a PC surely.

I don't think shorter iterations were in the script for Sony and Microsoft and it's actually more of a case of them reacting to the emergence of VR as potentially the next big thing in gaming.

Reports are saying the new Xbox due in 2017 will be 4x more powerful than the One, so I'd imagine it's going to be pricey, even before you factor in VR. And who's to say better versions of VR tech are not too far down the road? Does that mean we'll need another iteration of even more powerful consoles?

As I posted earlier, I'm not convinced at this strategy at all. Sony and MS better hope this VR gamble pays off. We better see some remarkable VR games in the future, that's all I'll say.

There's a big assumption that people will buy a new console in shorter interations. If you look at the marketplace, I would imagine people who buy consoles buy them specifically so thay don't need to upgrade their gaming setup every couple of years. Otherwise, these gamers would buy a PC surely.

I don't think shorter iterations were in the script for Sony and Microsoft and it's actually more of a case of them reacting to the emergence of VR as potentially the next big thing in gaming.

Reports are saying the new Xbox due in 2017 will be 4x more powerful than the One, so I'd imagine it's going to be pricey, even before you factor in VR. And who's to say better versions of VR tech are not too far down the road? Does that mean we'll need another iteration of even more powerful consoles?

As I posted earlier, I'm not convinced at this strategy at all. Sony and MS better hope this VR gamble pays off. We better see some remarkable VR games in the future, that's all I'll say.

Faster iterations are always something companies look at. It's usually a fair assumption that a significant market segment will buy the newest iteration, even if the upgrade isn't massive. Case in point the iPhone. Also consider some research has been done into expected uptake.

A caveat though, faster iterations may be the goal but the reality may be different.

Edit: also note with the new tight integration between Xbox and windows expect to see all games working on both platforms with the one purchase.

Faster iterations are always something companies look at. It's usually a fair assumption that a significant market segment will buy the newest iteration, even if the upgrade isn't massive. Case in point the iPhone. Also consider some research has been done into expected uptake.

A caveat though, faster iterations may be the goal but the reality may be different.

Edit: also note with the new tight integration between Xbox and windows expect to see all games working on both platforms with the one purchase.

Market research?

Exhibit A: Kinect 2.0
    Exhibit B: Most people want their consoles to be an entertainment hub

The prosecution rests it's case. ;)

I don't think the iPhone and gaming consoles is an accurate comparison either. You can still install the same apps and have pretty much the same functionality with most versions of the iPhone. Also, the iPhone is pretty unique in terms of its place in the market.

Do you think any console brand carries the same devotion we see with Apple products? Not likely.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 416 ✭✭Faker74

I don't think the iPhone and gaming consoles is an accurate comparison either. You can still install the same apps and have pretty much the same functionality with most versions of the iPhone. Also, the iPhone is pretty unique in terms of its place in the market.

I don't know why I feel different about the two technologies (upgrading a phone every 2 years versus a console) but I do.

Perhaps it is because when the latest model of a phone comes out the previous version will hold its value better in terms of trade in versus trading in a console?

Maybe, despite the fact they are both luxury items a phone is more "practical"?

Also the fact that (depending on your contact) the phone would have a lower upfront cost than a console?

I know this doesn't entirely make sense, what is the difference between spending 500 euro on one kind of tech every couple of years versus another but, to me at least, there is a difference.

Market research?

Exhibit A: Kinect 2.0
    Exhibit B: Most people want their consoles to be an entertainment hub

The prosecution rests it's case. ;)

Do you think any console brand carries the same devotion we see with Apple products? Not likely.

Pointing to 2 instances of something that arguably didn't work well (personally i love the kinect and use my console in the living room for entertainment and rarely for games) on a massively successful console from a massively successful company? Sure, they don't always get things right and they may get this wrong, does that mean boundaries and new ideas shouldn't be pushed?

You can install the same apps and games on the 2017 console and yeah, there are rabid console owners. Take a look at any game site and the comments section is still fun of raging fanboys. 4 years isn't a very short cycle either.

Tbh I may update to the updated console when it comes out just so I can have the best graphics possible, but I will not be updating the newer slim model. Also I have no interest in the steaming stick as I am not in a sitting room. I game in my game room with consoles and desktop PC on a gaming monitor.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭mossym

maximoose wrote: »
    Am I in the minority in really not giving a sh te about VR?

actually, thinking about it, it may complement the hugely successful 3d perfectly.....oh.....wait

Pointing to 2 instances of something that arguably didn't work well (personally i love the kinect and use my console in the living room for entertainment and rarely for games) on a massively successful console from a massively successful company? Sure, they don't always get things right and they may get this wrong, does that mean boundaries and new ideas shouldn't be pushed?

You can install the same apps and games on the 2017 console and yeah, there are rabid console owners. Take a look at any game site and the comments section is still fun of raging fanboys. 4 years isn't a very short cycle either.

Argubely didn't work well? I don't think there's too much argument about it at all. Microsoft had to drop the Kinect from its bundles, and hardly any games were developed for it. To me it's a glorified Skype camera.

If you want more examples:
    Exhibit C: Always on
    Exhibit D: Second hand games
    Exhibit E: Digital only sales

Anyway, I think my point is being missed. Of course gaming technology should move forward. My point is that I have serious doubts about new consoles being brought to market specifically to support VR.

My doubts are due to the costs, the fact that VR tech is still in its infancy, the fact that VR suits only certain types of games and the questions around motion sickness.

I also don't get the argument about Windows and console cross platform play, and how this will have any bearing on the success of the newer consoles.

I've yet to hear a compelling argument as to why bringing a new console to market so soon is a good idea. It's still just seems like everyone is jumping on the VR bandwagon/hype train and it is a massive gamble in my opinion.

Argubely didn't work well? I don't think there's too much argument about it at all. Microsoft had to drop the Kinect from its bundles, and hardly any games were developed for it. To me it's a glorified Skype camera.

If you want more examples:
    Exhibit C: Always on
    Exhibit D: Second hand games
    Exhibit E: Digital only sales

Anyway, I think my point is being missed. Of course gaming technology should move forward. My point is that I have serious doubts about new consoles being brought to market specifically to support VR.

My doubts are due to the costs, the fact that VR tech is still in its infancy, the fact that VR suits only certain types of games and the questions around motion sickness.

I also don't get the argument about Windows and console cross platform play, and how this will have any bearing on the success of the newer consoles.

I've yet to hear a compelling argument as to why bringing a new console to market so soon is a good idea. It's still just seems like everyone is jumping on the VR bandwagon/hype train and it is a massive gamble in my opinion.

It's a fallacy to think a new console is only about VR. The one will be 4/5 years old by the time the next gen is ready.

Is your argument that MS always get things wrong or what, it's a strange position given the success of the console in general.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,618 ✭✭✭Mr Freeze

Is your argument that MS always get things wrong or what, it's a strange position given the success of the console in general.

It is a success, I agree, after its very rocky start.

But why are MS so quick to abandon this gen so and move half way to the next gen?

I don't think I will upgrade, certainly not immediately and definitely not for full price.

I think this half jump forward could be a misstep. I hope they don't alienate the early adopters and I especially feel sorry for anyone that bought a ONE lately.

What if the new consoles sell very poorly? Are people going to buy it or a ONE, some parents getting them for kids are not going to know the difference.

I think you guys are forgetting it's not just MS but also Sony who are bringing out a newer updated console, lets just say they never brought out a updated console and Sony did and it was a huge success for Sony, MS would be kicking themselves. Tbh I actually think the newer updated console will be a success.

It's a fallacy to think a new console is only about VR. The one will be 4/5 years old by the time the next gen is ready.

No, I'm not saying that MS always get it wrong, I was just providing examples of when they've badly misjudged the market.

It also depends on your definition of success. I wouldn't consider being outsold 2:1 by your nearest competitor a success personally.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,618 ✭✭✭Mr Freeze

I think you guys are forgetting it's not just MS but also Sony who are bringing out a newer updated console, lets just say they never brought out a updated console and Sony did and it was a huge success for Sony, MS would be kicking themselves. Tbh I actually think the newer updated console will be a success.

I just keep thinking of Sega Mega CD or whatever its was called and the new Hardware that followed.

It alienated consumers and devs alike.

• Advertisement

No, I'm not saying that MS always get it wrong, I was just providing examples of when they've badly misjudged the market.

It also depends on your definition of success. I wouldn't consider being outsold 2:1 by your nearest competitor a success personally.

Yeah, but that was the old MS, the new MS xbox dude is sexy and fun and doing things right, or so it seems. Xbox, despite being outsold by PS, is still a success.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,202 ✭✭✭maximoose

At least one major developer working on VR game for Xbox, to be shown at E3

Edit: title of that is a bit misleading, not an exclusive but a multiplatform game

• Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭Stone Deaf 4evr

Yeah, but that was the old MS, the new MS xbox dude is sexy and fun and doing things right, or so it seems. Xbox, despite being outsold by PS, is still a success.

If anything, they're finally getting round to what they should have done years ago.

my own uninformed observation, would be that valve has dropped the ball when it came to the steambox, which was postioning itself as being more powerful than consoles, and essentially a PC for the living room.

Both of the current gen consoles are closer to PC's than they've ever been, but microsoft have the unique advantage of having the windows OS on millions of devices. There's definitely a huge opportunity here, it'll be just interesting to see how it plays out. hopefully it won't be a disaster like games for windows live was.

The last points I'll make about the new proposed new consoles and VR.

To those saying shorter iterations are no biggy, I say look at the launch games on the Xbox 360 and then compare that to the games that came out at the end of its life cycle.

It feels as though we'll barely have scratched the surface of what the current gen can do before we have a new console launched.

In relation to VR, the Oculus Rift is currently $600 to order at the moment. $600! Now, it will have come down a bit by 2017, but not by much I'd wager.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,538 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Mickeroo wrote: »
    I've sunk a lot of hours into it and don't look like letting up anytime soon. It's he same as the PC version pretty much, a couple of patches behind but it will be all caught up within the next couple of weeks. The background sim is shared with PC but you can't interact directly with PC playes (likely will happen eventually though).

The Horizons expansioon is out on June 3rd which will introduce planetary landings (only rocky/icy planets with no atmosphere for now) and a loot/crafting system, there'll be more added to it before the year is out too. Think it's priced around €25 if you have the base game already, otherwise there'll be a bundle including it and the base game for about €50 or you can just buy the base game without Horizons of course.

All I'll say is don't expect the bright colours and that of something like No Man's Sky and it's very much a sim more than a game, there's no campaign or anything it's very much what you make of it and it can be very very grindy if you let it be, getting the bigger ships in the game takes hundreds of hours but there's no real reason you need them to enjoy the game.

>_> <_< >_<

Might get it during the week, Didn't Know it was on XB1, so was surprised when I saw it on the store.

• Registered Users Posts: 714 ✭✭✭feelgoodinc27

2:1 sounds bad but if only a quarter of the people who bought a PS4 went with the One then it would be 1:1, so I think it's well within their grasp to even out the market.

Before the rumours of updated consoles and VR starting floating about I thought the way forward for Xbox to make up some ground could have been to release a €100-150 streaming device that worked kinda like OnLive, in addition to the console proper of course.

The last points I'll make about the new proposed new consoles and VR.

To those saying shorter iterations are no biggy, I say look at the launch games on the Xbox 360 and then compare that to the games that came out at the end of its life cycle.

It feels as though we'll barely have scratched the surface of what the current gen can do before we have a new console launched.

In relation to VR, the Oculus Rift is currently $600 to order at the moment. $600! Now, it will have come down a bit by 2017, but not by much I'd wager.

5 years is a lifetime in tech. If the big guys could handle the logistics and timelines they would dump out a console every 2 years. No point holding back new tech cos some devs might make prettier games. They can still produce games for current gen and next gen, like now.

My last phone was 900 euro, and 220 euro 2 years later. Prices can drop a lot, especially when a big corp starts pushing and mass producing them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 699 ✭✭✭Rorok

The whole talk about the xbox 1.5 just sounds too stressful, I've noticed some problems with fallout 4 on xbox one but there not so bad that I'd play €100 or more to get them fixed

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,361 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

Plex are coming out with a UWP app, and want help testing it. This will eventually be coming to Xbox too, it'll be a few days before I have a chance to look at it, but hopefully it means that there will be more frequent updates.

http://m.windowscentral.com/plex-wants-you-help-test-its-upcoming-universal-windows-10-app

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,273 ✭✭✭Gizmo55

NBA 2K16 is free to play this weekend for Gold members.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement