Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Xbox One General Discussion - Part 2 (Please Read 1st Post)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,443 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

I remember calling out back in Nov 2013 that since the Xbox is now a x86 platform we would see upgrades coming down the line for it in relation to the cpu and gpu. People said I was mad and it would never happen but its nice to be proved right :)

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=87356121&postcount=6082

• Registered Users Posts: 8,799 ✭✭✭MiskyBoyy

Blazer wrote: »
    I remember calling out back in Nov 2013 that since the Xbox is now a x86 platform we would see upgrades coming down the line for it in relation to the cpu and gpu. People said I was mad and it would never happen but its nice to be proved right :)

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=87356121&postcount=6082

Isn't x86 32 bit and x64 64 bit? Making the xb1 x64 no? :confused:

MiskyBoyy wrote: »

I assumed he meant x64 otherwise the One would be running only 4gb of ram and not 8gb :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,703 ✭✭✭JoyPad

MiskyBoyy wrote: »

He refers to x86 as the family of CPUs etc.
    The full name of x64 is actually x86_64, denoting the 64-bit version of the x86 architecture.
    ~ uname -m    
    x86_64

I see said the blind man

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,803 ✭✭✭✭Snake Plisken

They'll be doing well to make an Xbox One revision quieter. I've never heard anything at all from it.

Smaller doesn't really appeal to me either. It would just sit in the same spot under the TV.

Yeah I think they got the current case size right,
    It's whisper quite compared to my smaller cramped PS4!

MS learned a 1 billion dollar lesson from the 360, don't design the case 1st and parts to go in it second http://hothardware.com/news/xbox-360s-red-ring-of-death-1-billion-microsoft

• Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

MS learned a 1 billion dollar lesson from the 360, don't design the case 1st and parts to go in it second http://hothardware.com/news/xbox-360s-red-ring-of-death-1-billion-microsoft
    Tbh the internals of the xbox one are in the exact same layout as the xbox 360 S. (The first slim revision)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,029 ✭✭✭um7y1h83ge06nx

I really couldn't be arsed upgrading my PS4 or Xbox One. I'm lucky that I could afford to but I don't feel I have gotten my money's worth from them yet.

My 360 was bought in Jan 2006 and is still working. Only stopped using it when I bought the PS4 on launch. That's nearly 8 years as my main console.

If the main advantage of these consoles is VR I'm not interested. it's really the first gen of VR (I know back in the 90's they tried a little but it wasn't really a gen). The first gen of any hardware imo is a gen for hardware and software people to find their feet with the technology, almost like an extended proof of concept.

If VR does take off then the PS5 or Xbox 2 (:confused:) will be much more mature platforms for it, designed from the ground up with VR in mind.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,420 ✭✭✭FAILSAFE 00

The 360 and PS3 were unique as a console gen. Almost 10 years long. Traditionally most console gens have been about 5 years.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,361 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

The Plex app is getting a much needed update tomorrow, here's the change list:
    NEW
    • Plex Home!
    • Music Lyrics!
    • Create and add to playlists.
    • Quality, audio track, and subtitle selection from preplay pages.
    • Play Show/Season starts from last watched/in progress item, with previous behaviour available via a separate Play All action.
    • Show Original quality resolution/bitrate in quality picker.
    • Updated player profile for wider range of direct play codec support, including HEVC/FLAC/ALAC/WAV.
    • Stepping through videos will now use chapter timestamps if they exist.

FIXES
    • Items not updating their watched status on certain pages.
    • Deleted items showing up on library pages.
    • Display specific error messages when available instead of the generic 'Server not found' message.
    • Item progress bar size improvements.
    • Stability fixes for Plex Companion.
    • Occasionally missing 'Play from beginning' action on partially watched items.
    • Don't allow the user to exit the app via Plex Companion controls.
    • Extras titles not appearing in certain circumstances.
    • Theme music not stopping in some rare instances.
    • Movie pages not correctly loading in some instances with certain Extras.
    • Thumbnails not showing up in some channels.
    • Unwatched indicators incorrectly showing up.
    • Some photo channels previously failed to load photos.
    • Paging sometimes not working correctly on episode pages.
    • Starting the app with no signed in Xbox profile, or signing out, could result in a non-responsive app.
    • Retry for new server from error page when current server becomes unavailable.
    • Other stability fixes and improvements.

Great that direct play is expanding, I'll have to look into plex home to see if it's worth setting up.

• Registered Users Posts: 301 ✭✭pcadhain

The 360 and PS3 were unique as a console gen. Almost 10 years long. Traditionally most console gens have been about 5 years.

Exactly. Consoles are now going the way of phones. Imagine having the same phone for almost 10 years. Bit of an extreme example, I know, but tradition means nothing when PC games are already years ahead before the launch of a new console. It's always going to be a game of catch up.

I'm personally looking forward to updating my consoles so that I can give my old one to my brother for online multiplayer. I wouldn't mind PC gaming on my TV in a simpler universal windows model even if the new powerful Xbox One is near €1000. I predict it'll be called the Xbox PC and the new slim console called X1.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,381 ✭✭✭✭Allyall

I'm not sure, but I remember PS3 and Xbox360 being released, or about to be, and they both said that they wouldn't release another console for x amount of years.
    I think it may have been because they were under fire a little from parent groups and the EU. Prior to that they were coming out failry quickly.
    2 - 3 years?
    I'm not 100% but I vaguely remember something like that being said at the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Captain Chaos

It was Sony that came out and said it's consoles have a 10 year life span of being supported. The PS2 had about 6-7 years before the PS3 was released. The Xbox was late to that generation so it had a relatively short life with the 360 releasing well before the PS3.

The 360 was 8 before the One was released and the PS3 6-7 before the PS4 was released but there were still game for the old gen while the new consoles found their feet.

This time it will be different on PS4 at least as both the base console and the Neo can play the same games on the same disc, just one will take advantage of its power.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,495 ✭✭✭Oafley Jones

The financial crisis of 2007/8 on also massively extended the previous gens lifespan. There was a consensus from the companies that the global economy couldn't support the required rate of new hardware adoption.

• Anyone having issues with live?

M!Ck^ wrote: »
    Anyone having issues with live?

There's a service alert for "Purchase and Content Usage -
    Buying items, redeeming codes, or downloading purchases"

http://support.xbox.com/en-IE/xbox-live-status

Xbox Smartglass Beta app for Android got a big update today:

7cLcxx7.png?1

• MiskyBoyy wrote: »
    There's a service alert for "Purchase and Content Usage -
    Buying items, redeeming codes, or downloading purchases"

http://support.xbox.com/en-IE/xbox-live-status

Yes, I'm raging. Just about to have a go at mods for Fallout :/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 699 ✭✭✭Rorok

M!Ck^ wrote: »
    Yes, I'm raging. Just about to have a go at mods for Fallout :/

I tried to download Super Meat Boy and it just came up something like "Oops you weren't supposed to do that"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,206 ✭✭✭Spudman_20000

pcadhain wrote: »
    Exactly. Consoles are now going the way of phones. Imagine having the same phone for almost 10 years. Bit of an extreme example, I know, but tradition means nothing when PC games are already years ahead before the launch of a new console. It's always going to be a game of catch up.

I'm personally looking forward to updating my consoles so that I can give my old one to my brother for online multiplayer. I wouldn't mind PC gaming on my TV in a simpler universal windows model even if the new powerful Xbox One is near €1000. I predict it'll be called the Xbox PC and the new slim console called X1.

I've seen the phone/console comparison mentioned a couple of times now, and it is severly flawed. The consumer market for phones and games consoles are completely different. Almost everyone owns a phone, but the console market is significantly smaller.

In my opinion it would be crazy for the likes of Microsoft and Sony to start releasing new consoles every couple of years. A typical console launch consists of early adopters who purchase the console at launch, then people who wait a year or 2 before purchasing and then followed by people who purchase the console late into its lifespan.

If we started seeing new consoles every 2-3 years, a lot of people wouldn't purchase any console, as a newer version would always be right around the corner.

PC gaming technology has always been ahead and always will be, and it makes no sense for MS and Sony to try and keep pace with it.

MS and Sony touting new hardware seems to be strictly down to the emergence of VR, and I think its a flawed strategy they are pursuing with bringing out new consoles. They don't want to be left behind, but it remains to be seen if VR really takes off they way some people think it will.

You even have the CEO of Take-Two sounding unconvinced:
    http://www.gamespot.com/articles/vr-is-too-expensive-and-takes-up-too-much-room-tak/1100-6440381/

MS and Sony touting new hardware seems to be strictly down to the emergence of VR, and I think its a flawed strategy they are pursuing with bringing out new consoles. They don't want to be left behind, but it remains to be seen if VR really takes off they way some people think it will./[/URL]

Not getting into the whole console angle but just on this part.

I would say there is at least 100% interest in VR in a certain form but that obviously isn't the current offering.

But VR that could say, let a person play an 11 a side football match in a massive arena would certainly be something I would love.

I guess that advanced VR is a bit off though, and the physical side needs to be a part of it too.
    Some sort of treadmill that encompasses movement is also essential for that next level of interaction.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭mossym

I would say there is at least 100% interest in VR in a certain form but that obviously isn't the current offering.

so more than 100% of the people are interested in VR? (guessing you meant something else here :D)

and i think the feedback on this thread would say very few are interested in VR. for me it's not the current offering, or any offering. you bring up the physical side, if i want to do physical stuf(and i do, a lot) it's not going to be in a room inside. there will be a few that appeal to, but i'd guess it will be very very little

• Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭Stone Deaf 4evr

I've no interest in VR, but a more powerful console

but more power? , Bring it on!

FynBoSF.0.gif

Seeing the witcher 3 running at a high res and 60fps has me craving more.

mossym wrote: »
    so more than 100% of the people are interested in VR? (guessing you meant something else here :D)

and i think the feedback on this thread would say very few are interested in VR. for me it's not the current offering, or any offering. you bring up the physical side, if i want to do physical stuf(and i do, a lot) it's not going to be in a room inside. there will be a few that appeal to, but i'd guess it will be very very little

I meant every single person would be interested in VR in some shape or form.

Are you telling me if you could be offered a real FPS experience which involved movement etc or fighting a star wars battle that people have no interest?.

I can see why people have no interest in the current VR, what I meant was there's a level that would interest everyone as we all have dreams we'd love to experience.

Its easy to write it off now. If you google famous quotes on inventions its amazing how so many smart minds of their day and people in general who wrote products off that ended up being necessities.
    Point in that is, its all just early days now, who knows what VR in 5years could be like.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 7,405 Mod ✭✭✭✭pleasant Co.

I meant every single person would be interested in VR in some shape or form.

Are you telling me if you could be offered a real FPS experience which involved movement etc or fighting a star wars battle that people have no interest?.

I can see why people have no interest in the current VR, what I meant was there's a level that would interest everyone as we all have dreams we'd love to experience.

Its easy to write it off now. If you google famous quotes on inventions its amazing how so many smart minds of their day and people in general who wrote products off that ended up being necessities.
    Point in that is, its all just early days now, who knows what VR in 5years could be like.

That's a holodeck....what you're describing is star trek's holodeck :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,247 ✭✭✭Max Mafioso

There was this VR machine in the arcade where Cineworld/Vue Cinema is, it had Rise of the Triads on it.
    I played it a few times and it wasnt too bad.
    Its hard to describe the machine but basically you stepped up into a little circle which was then closed off by a circular bar so you didnt fall out, the VR Headset was hung up above it, it was lowered onto your head and you were given a gun that was attached to it.
    You could turn around in the machine and your character would do the same in the game but to move back and forward you had to use some buttons on the gun.
    It wasnt difficult to control and it was enjoyable.

There was this VR machine in the arcade where Cineworld/Vue Cinema is, it had Rise of the Triads on it.
    I played it a few times and it wasnt too bad.
    Its hard to describe the machine but basically you stepped up into a little circle which was then closed off by a circular bar so you didnt fall out, the VR Headset was hung up above it, it was lowered onto your head and you were given a gun that was attached to it.
    You could turn around in the machine and your character would do the same in the game but to move back and forward you had to use some buttons on the gun.
    It wasnt difficult to control and it was enjoyable.

Something like this?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,247 ✭✭✭Max Mafioso

Yeah it was something like that but without the option of walking yourself, you could only turn your head

I would prefer something like this though :D

• Advertisement

I'd fecking love to play games and exercise at the same time :p

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement