Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Xbox One General Discussion - Part 2 (Please Read 1st Post)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,618 ✭✭✭Mr Freeze

CatInABox wrote: »
    So Xbox One S is confirmed, and they've put an IR blaster in there, keeping one of the best parts of the Kinect.

Did not even know what was a current Kinect feature.
    Still don't even know what it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,799 ✭✭✭MiskyBoyy

Mr Freeze wrote: »

It can turn your tv and other equipment on or off, or if you have your satelite box plugged in via the XB1, you can say "xbox go to RTE 1" and it will change the channel for you if set up correctly.

It's just the technology from your tv remote control emulated.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,361 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

For me, all I've got hooked up to the TV is my Xbox, so when I turn the Xbox on or off, it also turns on or off the TV.

Also controls the volume as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,521 ✭✭✭joe123

Jaysus Sony fairly knocked Microsoft for six in terms of their press conference.

It all seems so messy now for Microsoft. I would have considered trading in my Xbox One for the new Slim but there is zero point in doing that now. It is a nice looking piece of kit though.

I just can't really see their being enough demand for the scorpio either. Price point will likely be around 600 and people will be very cautious of another iteration in another year or two.

PC players now have zero reason to purchase an Xbox. Seems an odd move as anyone on PC considering a console, have an easy choice now.

Sony focused on the games and in fairness, they have an excellent line up coming.

As far as 4k and VR go, it all just seems another fad. 4k will eventually come in due to TV life cycles but its still away off for the majority. As for VR, it does absolutely nothing for me. When gaming, fair enough I like to be immersed in what im doing but if my phone rings, doorbell goes, someone else is there, sticking on a headset totally cuts you off from the outside world. I still like to be able to interact with someone in the room rather than lump a big headset over my ears/eyes.

Just like hands free, 3D and motion controllers, its an expensive gimmick.

joe123 wrote: »
    Jaysus Sony fairly knocked Microsoft for six in terms of their press conference.

But do Sony have Gwent? :pac:

• Advertisement

They will, just not a beta ya mad man :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Captain Chaos

Yep, everyone bar Nintendo does.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,361 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

So you can connect it up to your phone and stream to the mobile Xbox app then. Nice. Shame my Elite won't have it. EDIT: I should say, I'm assuming here.

Seems Tom Warren has the same idea about the bluetooth controllers. Was surprised that we didn't hear more about it to be honest. See here.

MiskyBoyy wrote: »
    They will, just not a beta ya mad man :pac:
    Yep, everyone bar Nintendo does.

Nods Silently

• Registered Users Posts: 6,495 ✭✭✭Oafley Jones

It all seems so messy now for Microsoft. I would have considered trading in my Xbox One for the new Slim but there is zero point in doing that now. It is a nice looking piece of kit though.

I just can't really see their being enough demand for the scorpio either. Price point will likely be around 600 and people will be very cautious of another iteration in another year or two.

I'm not sure how you think it's messy. The S is your standard mid cycle revision with the Scorpio being the next generation. Sure they've reduced the gap between generations to 4ish years, but we'll now be in a position where there will be full backwards compatibility.

Sony seem to be in an extremely awkward situation here. They've essentially the same strategy; but have potentially been caught out by coming out too early, with a comparatively incremental upgrade.

Could VR be a fad? Maybe, there's a good chance it'll be ****ed up by some half arsed Wii game type nonsense. I will say I'm more excited about it than anything I've seen in years. I've a PSVR on preorder and would have also gotten the Neo, but now I'm seriously considering holding off to see what MS bring to the table.

• Advertisement

PC players now have zero reason to purchase an Xbox. Seems an odd move as anyone on PC considering a console, have an easy choice now.

Sony focused on the games and in fairness, they have an excellent line up coming.

As far as 4k and VR go, it all just seems another fad. 4k will eventually come in due to TV life cycles but its still away off for the majority. As for VR, it does absolutely nothing for me. When gaming, fair enough I like to be immersed in what im doing but if my phone rings, doorbell goes, someone else is there, sticking on a headset totally cuts you off from the outside world. I still like to be able to interact with someone in the room rather than lump a big headset over my ears/eyes.

Wouldn't say it was a knock out, but yes, Sony did have a better presentation. A focus on great games will do it for me easily.

I actually think that Microsoft are just taking the long view on this, and from that perspective, what they are doing not only makes sense, it's obvious.

There's literally no way that they can look at the current generation and think that it has been a success, and no matter what they do, they won't significantly close the gap on Sony. From a business point of view, the obvious choice here is to cut your losses and trigger the start of the next generation. So far, we've seen them introduce a cheaper to produce console, they're going to phase out the older, more expensive model, and they've announced the spec target for their next console, which is a monster.

I'd be very surprised if the Scorpio was more than what the PS4 was at launch. I suspect that Microsoft sees conquering the "Living Room" as very important, and will be willing to eat a loss on each console.

The PC gaming market is large, but it's also ridiculously fragmented. Just look at the Steam hardware surveys, the amount of people running Intel graphics is incredible. Those people aren't going to lose interest in an Xbox just because of "play anywhere", I'd say it would be the opposite in fact, they'd be more interest in both Xbox and PC gaming as a result.

4K is something that will take off (as will HDR), but VR and AR are a different story.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,131 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

I'd be very surprised if the Scorpio was more than what the PS4 was at launch

I assume your referring to cost here?

I think the Scorpio will retail around €500 possibley more.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 642 ✭✭✭qrx

emmetkenny wrote: »

Yeah it's going to be at a premium for sure. Anyone who can't afford it should get the Xbox One S instead and by the sounds of it be at no disadvantage other than specs.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,420 ✭✭✭FAILSAFE 00

Not really.

Microsoft has made a bold step forward and are offering more to Xbox gamers on PC & Xbox consoles.

The biggest moment of E3 2016 has been the Scorpio announcement.

I'd say Sony is in some serious meetings today trying to figure out what to do.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,207 ✭✭✭miralize

Have Gamestop or HMV announced any trade-in scheme for the Xbox One S? Cant wait to free up some space for the S.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,131 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

miralize wrote: »
    Have Gamestop or HMV announced any trade-in scheme for the Xbox One S? Cant wait to free up some space for the S.

I'd say you be better selling on Adverts. Do you have disk based games or digital?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,184 ✭✭✭riclad

Vr wont be a fad ,it can be used for 3d design, architecture design, imagine
    watching a concert in vr .
    Where you can watch onstage , from any angle .
    instead of sitting 300 ft from the stage and paying 100 euro for 1 ticket .
    Tv companys want to sell films in hdr ,and 4k,
    so at some point all tvs might be 4 k in say 5 years .
    When the xbox came out ,halo and gears of war were the big hits .
    So i assume some great game might come out in vr .
    Fallout 4 could be good in vr .
    Someone might make a good shooter in vr .
    Portal could be good in vr .
    I think games might be a small part of the vr market .
    When they ipod was invented no one knew ,would people actually pay to download
    films or music to a laptop or a mp3 player .
    or would people pay to buy apps on a phone .
    When the iphone 1 was released .
    When dvd players came out first they were 500 euros .
    tech gets cheaper and more powerful .
    So they ,ll have one very powerful console for 4k, and vr,
    and a basic xbox for people who just want to play games .
    And its a great move as it shows they are ready to make
    a more powerful console than the ps4 or the new ps4 neo.
    Maybe people will be watching 4k films on the new xbox
    in 2 years .
    They advantage of the pc is you can buy games on steam cheap,
    and put in a fast graphics card if you want to play games in 1080p mode at 60fps.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭Stone Deaf 4evr

you wont need to free up space, its 40% smaller. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,521 ✭✭✭joe123

Not really.

Microsoft has made a bold step forward and are offering more to Xbox gamers on PC & Xbox consoles.

The biggest moment of E3 2016 has been the Scorpio announcement.

I'd say Sony is in some serious meetings today trying to figure out what to do.

I suppose the Xbox forum isnt really the best place to discuss this as their will be undoubted bias. Im just saying it as I see it. I own an Xbox360 and a One. Don't even have a Playstation 3 or 4.

Consumers are used to a longer timframe between consoles and I just think having the Scorpio out so soon is not doing Microsoft any favours. By the time the regular player or even someone like myself who plays games regularly would be ready to fork out another 500 or so euro on a new console, the Scorpio specs won't look as strong (say in two years time) and its all back to square one.

Does this also give Sony time to revise their Neo plans? Say they decide to release NEO in two years, will that just trump the Scorpio at that stage? For now they can focus on building their base.

People who are interested in picking up an Xbox One or a slim have now no real incentive to do so. Why spend 300 euro on a slim when its going to be heavily surpassed in a years time. To the poster who said the slim is just your regular mid cycle redesign, usually these are released before we have a set date on a better console.

Microsoft certainly messed up with the Xbox One launch and maybe focusing on developing new IP's to compete with Sonys would have been the way to go for now. They are still relying on the likes of Gears and Halo.

It just seems they panicked releasing the Xbox One and now they are rushing to get a stronger machine out next year. At the end of the day its all conjecture at the moment but they are just my initial thoughts.

• Advertisement

I think they'd be mad to ask for more than 400 euros for it with no game packed in. Even if they're selling them at a loss - history has shown that they're not averse to doing this.

Its great to see them hungry, and willing to make an aggressive move to have the most powerful console by a wide margin.

personally, I couldnt care less about VR, I reckon it'll catch on, but you're not going to be playing games with the same level of depth as current titles for a long long time.

• Moderators Posts: 5,558 ✭✭✭Azza

What's the price going to be for an Xbox One S 500GB in Ireland?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,381 ✭✭✭✭Allyall

Azza wrote: »
    What's the price going to be for an Xbox One S 500GB in Ireland?

It says here around €299 for the base model -
    http://www.ibtimes.co.uk/e3-2016-microsoft-reveals-xbox-one-s-slim-model-august-2016-release-249-1565226

I suppose the Xbox forum isnt really the best place to discuss this as their will be undoubted bias. Im just saying it as I see it. I own an Xbox360 and a One. Don't even have a Playstation 3 or 4.

Consumers are used to a longer timframe between consoles and I just think having the Scorpio out so soon is not doing Microsoft any favours. By the time the regular player or even someone like myself who plays games regularly would be ready to fork out another 500 or so euro on a new console, the Scorpio specs won't look as strong (say in two years time) and its all back to square one.

Does this also give Sony time to revise their Neo plans? Say they decide to release NEO in two years, will that just trump the Scorpio at that stage? For now they can focus on building their base.

People who are interested in picking up an Xbox One or a slim have now no real incentive to do so. Why spend 300 euro on a slim when its going to be heavily surpassed in a years time. To the poster who said the slim is just your regular mid cycle redesign, usually these are released before we have a set date on a better console.

Microsoft certainly messed up with the Xbox One launch and maybe focusing on developing new IP's to compete with Sonys would have been the way to go for now. They are still relying on the likes of Gears and Halo.

It just seems they panicked releasing the Xbox One and now they are rushing to get a stronger machine out next year. At the end of the day its all conjecture at the moment but they are just my initial thoughts.

It's not a new generation in the traditional sense. It's an upgraded xbox one, which basically means games will be supported across all consoles. This is different to a next generation cycle where you have different companies developing the same game on 360 and xbox one and after a year or so you start seeing xbox one only games and the old generation starts getting left behind.

Microsoft are moving towards a services company in all areas. What this means for gaming is Xbox games as a brand, playable on all devices (bar playstation of course). So what you have is the same game playable on Xbox One, Xbox One S, PC and Scorpio. For some this extends to mobile devices as well: Windows, Android and iOS (mobile and Mac).

There is no reason for someone who is interested to hold off buying an Xbox One.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,207 ✭✭✭miralize

I'd say you be better selling on Adverts. Do you have disk based games or digital?
    all digital

As a completely unscientific enquiry - are there many people on here who have an interest in the 'play anywhere' feature where you buy a copy of a game and can play it on your PC as well?

I would imagine that its a pretty small number who'd genuinely make use of it?

As a completely unscientific enquiry - are there many people on here who have an interest in the 'play anywhere' feature where you buy a copy of a game and can play it on your PC as well?

I can see how it would be useful. My surface tablet + controller would become a portable xbox gaming rig.

But I think it's more about uniting a very divided gaming world. To them it's all Microsoft, but to gamers its xbox Vs PC.

Also, it might boost the Windows store. anyone with an xbox is not going to buy the same game on steam when they already have it for free via the windows store.

Personally, I like it a lot.

But, I guess the majority of Xbox gamers won't own a gaming PC.

• Moderators Posts: 5,558 ✭✭✭Azza

Think I'll bite at that price. Its primary use to me would be as a 4K Blu-Ray player. The cross play and cross buy feature with PC has me more interested as well, Sea of Thieves and Forza Horizon 3 looked pretty impressive.

• Advertisement
  • Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,296 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

qrx wrote: »
    I can see how it would be useful. My surface tablet + controller would become a portable xbox gaming rig.

But I think it's more about uniting a very divided gaming world. To them it's all Microsoft, but to gamers its xbox Vs PC.

Also, it might boost the Windows store. anyone with an xbox is not going to buy the same game on steam when they already have it for free via the windows store.

Their OS already has a borderline monopoly on PC gaming and I think the long game they're playing is for XBox and PC gaming to be indistinguishable. Way I see it if all the games I own on XB1 are playable on whatever Xbox is doing the rounds ten years from now it's a win win situation for console gamers. They seem to have the approach of "Developers, rival platforms, whoever are free to do what they want with our stuff, we're not the ones holding them back" - case in point what they've stated about platform cross play and their approach to backwards compatibility.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement