Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Xbox One General Discussion - Part 2 (Please Read 1st Post)

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 642 ✭✭✭qrx

Phil Spencer elaborating a bit on Scorpio:
    http://www.wired.com/2016/06/xbox-vr-scorpio-phil-spencer/

Mickeroo wrote: »
    Their OS already has a borderline monopoly on PC gaming and I think the long game they're playing is for XBox and PC gaming to be indistinguishable. Way I see it if all the games I own on XB1 are playable on whatever Xbox is doing the rounds ten years from now it's a win win situation for console gamers. They seem to have the approach of "Developers, rival platforms, whoever are free to do what they want with our stuff, we're not the ones holding them back" - case in point what they've stated about platform cross play and their approach to backwards compatibility.

They've even talked about the original Xbox going backward Compatability :)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭Stone Deaf 4evr

http://www.theverge.com/2016/6/13/11915624/microsoft-xbox-one-s-pc-cross-platform-future-phil-spencer-interview

another good article here. looks like a lot of these interviews were given pre E3 and left to be released after.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,799 ✭✭✭MiskyBoyy

Don't forget about Xbox Daily show tonight and tomorrow night from 12-1am

• Registered Users Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

If you can play your game library offline on a Surface tablet, that'd be huge.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,361 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

An extra $20 off the standard Xbox One now, not sure if it's worldwide or just America, but I'd be surprised if it wasn't. They're clearing out stock of the old Xbox One before the S hits.

See here.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,361 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

CatInABox wrote: »
    An extra $20 off the standard Xbox One now, not sure if it's worldwide or just America, but I'd be surprised if it wasn't. They're clearing out stock of the old Xbox One before the S hits.

See here.

Worldwide as far as I can tell.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,541 ✭✭✭✭Varik

See here.

The S is a big enough improvement that they should really reduce it more, manufacturing would have slow/stopped on the original in preparation so they don't likely have much stock to shift.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,296 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Apparently the S is the cheapest 4K Blu-Ray player on the market? Surprised they didn't emphasise that yesterday (or did they?).

Mickeroo wrote: »
    Apparently the S is the cheapest 4K Blu-Ray player on the market? Surprised they didn't emphasise that yesterday (or did they?).

Yeah I seen a lot of people talking about that alright. I don't think they mentioned it anywhere officially but a lot of people on reddit picked up on it.

A serious bargain for someone who happens to be looking for a UHD Blu-Ray player indeed.

• Advertisement

I swear this is me the more I see of the Xbox One S

• Registered Users Posts: 6,431 ✭✭✭MilesMorales1

I'll buy one of them Xbox one S things just for the 4K blu ray stuff. Lovely that is.

So you can connect it up to your phone and stream to the mobile Xbox app then. Nice. Shame my Elite won't have it. EDIT: I should say, I'm assuming here.

"Stay on target with textured grip. And with Bluetooth® technology, play your favorite games on Windows 10 PCs, tablets, and phones."

I know it says Windows phones but still!

Sauce

• Registered Users Posts: 1,450 ✭✭✭Batesy

I'll be buying that Xbox One S at launch.

Went to PS4 after the 360 so never owned a One. The base model should do me too.

Anyone know if the stand comes with the base model?

MiskyBoyy wrote: »
    "Stay on target with textured grip. And with Bluetooth® technology, play your favorite games on Windows 10 PCs, tablets, and phones."

I know it says Windows phones but still!

Sauce
    They mean minecraft. And probably candy crush with achievements.

Edit: Sorry missed the point about it being the controller paired with a phone 🙂

Is it true that 4k is a waste of time on smaller screens? You need a bigger screen to gain any benefit otherwise 1080p is just as good. Not sure i'll ever have any use for a 4k tv. 65" tv in the game room is going to be a bit silly. Can't see many irish living rooms being suitable for a 65" tv.

qrx wrote: »
    Is it true that 4k is a waste of time on smaller screens? You need a bigger screen to gain any benefit otherwise 1080p is just as good. Not sure i'll ever have any use for a 4k tv. 65" tv in the game room is going to be a bit silly. Can't see many irish living rooms being suitable for a 65" tv.

quPcMPt.png

That image above is the guide, however, it's still subjective at the end of the day. Apparently, the HDR is the bigger visual improvement anyway, so if you are going for a tv, get one with that on it. Apparently it's going from the ability to display 16 million colours to over a billion!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,561 ✭✭✭quad_red

Anyone able to download the Doom demo?

The first level is Supposed to be free for a week but all I can see on the store is the full priced game?

Do you need to have gold to download it?

quad_red wrote: »

The first level is Supposed to be free for a week but all I can see on the store is the full priced game?

Yeah showing as free for me now, have gold.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,519 ✭✭✭dor83

quad_red wrote: »

I downloaded and played it yesterday, very short but was decent. Are you on the preview build? I was having trouble with the Halo wars beta, on the store it said owned but had no option to install, I went to the bottom right where it said show all, clicked that which brought me to a page that said halo wars beta, clicked that and then it had the option to install.

On the Scorpio, to me it seems like they are effectively trying to do what steam tried with the steambox but with just a single box released and upgrades every couple of years. Maybe I'm wrong though, I haven't read too much about it just seen the conference and I don't really know that much about the specs and stuff.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,507 ✭✭✭runawaybishop

Doom is excellant, well worth it.

Redstone is in a heap. I would stay completely away from it until 1608 builds are out.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,058 ✭✭✭shuffles03

Anyone upgrading to the One S? I have a Day One console and am tempted by the new version (I'm a sucker for all things new and shiny). It looks bad ass!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 28,130 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

shuffles03 wrote: »
    Anyone upgrading to the One S? I have a Day One console and am tempted by the new version (I'm a sucker for all things new and shiny). It looks bad ass!!!

I'm tempted but think I'll hold off for the Scorpio to be honest. It'll be a bigger upgrade.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,495 ✭✭✭Oafley Jones

I think they'd be mad to ask for more than 400 euros for it with no game packed in. Even if they're selling them at a loss - history has shown that they're not averse to doing this.

Its great to see them hungry, and willing to make an aggressive move to have the most powerful console by a wide margin.

personally, I couldnt care less about VR, I reckon it'll catch on, but you're not going to be playing games with the same level of depth as current titles for a long long time.

€400 for a new generation console, when they're retailing the previous gen for 300-400?!? Even if they drop the S in 18 months to a single SKU at €250 they'd be insane. I agree that they'll probably be willing to take a loss on the new machine, but there's no way they can put out a machine with that spec for 400 and not loose a fortune.

• Registered Users Posts: 416 ✭✭Faker74

I'll buy one of them Xbox one S things just for the 4K blu ray stuff. Lovely that is.

Yeah this would tempt me too.

I am one of those people still buying stuff on physical media, and when I buy a movie it is on blu ray, so the notion of going to the S from a future proofing point of view is appealing though there are a few downsides for me.

1) I don't currently have a 4K tv
    2) 4K Blu rays are currently far too expensive (in fact I think alot of blu rays are over priced compared to what a new release dvd once was)
    3) I know, I know, I'll end up double dipping on a lot of my existing collection to get the 4K release (will be a triple dip considering some things I had on dvd previously).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,058 ✭✭✭shuffles03

Faker74 wrote: »
    Yeah this would tempt me too.

I am one of those people still buying stuff on physical media, and when I buy a movie it is on blu ray, so the notion of going to the S from a future proofing point of view is appealing though there are a few downsides for me.

1) I don't currently have a 4K tv
    2) 4K Blu rays are currently far too expensive (in fact I think alot of blu rays are over priced compared to what a new release dvd once was)
    3) I know, I know, I'll end up double dipping on a lot of my existing collection to get the 4K release (will be a triple dip considering some things I had on dvd previously).

Do it Faker. Give in. I gave up trying to fight my inner gamer a long time ago.

shuffles03 wrote: »

Thinking about it!

Just a quick question. If I move my day one xbox to my bedroom and have the S downstairs can I have my XBL profile on both or will I have to keep transferring it over between consoles?

Thinking about it!

Just a quick question. If I move my day one xbox to my bedroom and have the S downstairs can I have my XBL profile on both or will I have to keep transferring it over between consoles?

Yup and if your games are digital you cane gave them saved to both.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭Stone Deaf 4evr

€400 for a new generation console, when they're retailing the previous gen for 300-400?!? Even if they drop the S in 18 months to a single SKU at €250 they'd be insane. I agree that they'll probably be willing to take a loss on the new machine, but there's no way they can put out a machine with that spec for 400 and not loose a fortune.

I dunno, its early days yet, I've a feeling they wont talk price until sony announce the price on the Neo.

Theres no way that they can ask for more than whatever Sony charge for that. and realistically, the 100 euro price difference between the launch PS4 and XB1 swung the deal for a lot of people.

• Advertisement

I dunno, its early days yet, I've a feeling they wont talk price until sony announce the price on the Neo.

Theres no way that they can ask for more than whatever Sony charge for that. and realistically, the 100 euro price difference between the launch PS4 and XB1 swung the deal for a lot of people.

Is the Neo not going to be like the S though with 4K upscaling?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement