Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Xbox One General Discussion - Part 2 (Please Read 1st Post)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,618 ✭✭✭Mr Freeze

I dunno, its early days yet, I've a feeling they wont talk price until sony announce the price on the Neo.

And then match or beat that price. They can't make the mistake of being the more expensive console again.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭Stone Deaf 4evr

emmetkenny wrote: »
    Is the Neo not going to be like the S though with 4K upscaling?

The neo is getting a performance bump as well, but not to the extent that the scorpio is,

I believe the S is marginally more powerful than the current xb1, the main selling point is the reduced size. the 4k upscaling is limited to Blu rays and streaming media as far as I'm aware.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,801 ✭✭✭✭Snake Plisken

MiskyBoyy wrote: »
    Yeah I seen a lot of people talking about that alright. I don't think they mentioned it anywhere officially but a lot of people on reddit picked up on it.

A serious bargain for someone who happens to be looking for a UHD Blu-Ray player indeed.

Yeah that was the original reason I bought a PS3 as it was the cheapest best spec'd blu-Ray player at launch!
    That will account for increased sales amongst folks with 4K TV's, it will output 4K Netflix and I take it 4K YouTube videos!
    One thing I hope is that they will release a different colour White just doesn't fit in with my other kit!

Yup and if your games are digital you cane gave them saved to both.

Cheers!

Smyths selling it for E399.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,541 ✭✭✭✭Varik

Mr Freeze wrote: »
    And then match or beat that price. They can't make the mistake of being the more expensive console again.

If the Neo remains the same as the rumour have it then it's going to be vastly cheaper than the Scorpio, they're no way it wouldn't be and considering it could be released a year it could likely have a discount or 2.
    The neo is getting a performance bump as well, but not to the extent that the scorpio is,

I believe the S is marginally more powerful than the current xb1, the main selling point is the reduced size. the 4k upscaling is limited to Blu rays and streaming media as far as I'm aware.

Would be native 4k in those cases not upscaled, but may have 4k upscaling for games. Would be better for the Xbox to upscale the games rather than you're 4k TV which would do a poor job of it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,130 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

Cheers!

Smyths selling it for E399.

The S? Which version though?

The S? Which version though?

2TB

Gamestop have it on site as well

2TB - 399
    1TB- 349
    500GB - 299

2TB

Hmmmmmm.... That's a very good price for a 2TB model.... I'm now very tempted again :)

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,361 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

Varik wrote: »
    If the Neo remains the same as the rumour have it then it's going to be vastly cheaper than the Scorpio, they're no way it wouldn't be and considering it could be released a year it could likely have a discount or 2.

Would be native 4k in those cases not upscaled, but may have 4k upscaling for games. Would be better for the Xbox to upscale the games rather than you're 4k TV which would do a poor job of it.

Yes, it's got upscaling for games, and anything that runs at less than 4K. The menus and OS will output at 4k native.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,029 ✭✭✭um7y1h83ge06nx

I have a 1TB Xbox One and don't really see the point of the S, may as well wait for Scorpio.

I'm sort of getting a little jaded of all the hardware news and talk, that of the S, Neo, Scorpio.

Guess I was spoiled with my 360, one of the launch ones and still going strong until I bought the PS4 at launch, around 8 years as my main console!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,799 ✭✭✭MiskyBoyy

For anyone interest in an S but not the 2TB version. I've just noticed this in the footnotes:

"Vertical stand only included on the 2TB Xbox One S"

For anyone interest in an S but not the 2TB version. I've just noticed this in the footnotes:

"Vertical stand only included on the 2TB Xbox One S"

That's a nice bonus for purchasing the 2TB though

That's a nice bonus for purchasing the 2TB though

It is but if I was to buy an Xbox One S myself. it would be the 500gb as I already have plenty of 2TB drives. I would have expected the stand in the 500gb box.

I just thought I'd mention it so if someone from here does buy smaller than 2TB they're aware of the vertical stand not being included.

It is but if I was to buy an Xbox One S myself. it would be the 500gb as I already have plenty of 2TB drives. I would have expected the stand in the 500gb box.

I just thought I'd mention it so if someone from here does buy smaller than 2TB they're aware of the vertical stand not being included.

I could have sworn I read/heard that the stand was sold separately. Maybe it was in those articles yesterday or the Major Nelson interview showing off the one

I could have sworn I read/heard that the stand was sold separately. Maybe it was in those articles yesterday or the Major Nelson interview showing off the one

I'd imagine it would be, but I'd still have expected it in my 500GB box if I wasn't informed. :o

• Registered Users Posts: 1,450 ✭✭✭Batesy

And if you really want/need the stand that'll probably retail for €20 - €30 anyway, it makes buying the 2TB a no brainer really.

Batesy wrote: »
    And if you really want/need the stand that'll probably retail for €20 - €30 anyway, it makes buying the 2TB a no brainer really.

Yea if you look at what your getting for €399 compared to 6 months ago with the one it's great value.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

It was an interview with major Nelson and he did say it at the end of the video

It was an interview with major Nelson and he did say it at the end of the video

I knew didn't dream it :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,450 ✭✭✭Batesy

Looks like the stand will retail for $19.99 so €20

In a eurogamer article it says the 2TB one will be released on the 2nd of August but the other 2 versions are TBA.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

In a eurogamer article it says the 2TB one will be released on the 2nd of August but the other 2 versions are TBA.

Was talking to a mate of mine last night. He doesn't know whether to wait for the Scorpio or invest in the S model.

I told him that I stupidly bought a current model of Xbox One before waiting to see what was on offer at E3 so don't ever bloody listen to me. :pac:

You can now install WWE 2K16 and play for free until early Monday morning. Xbox free days program.

Just go to the store page on Xbox and it will say Install.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,561 ✭✭✭quad_red

So MS are doubling up on messaging that whilst the S will have slightly more grunt that will all be aimed at HDR etc and won't be noticeable in actual games.

What about menus though? Will the OS feel snappier? Will menus populate quicker? Games etc install faster?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,361 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

quad_red wrote: »
    So MS are doubling up on messaging that whilst the S will have slightly more grunt that will all be aimed at HDR etc and won't be noticeable in actual games.

What about menus though? Will the OS feel snappier? Will menus populate quicker? Games etc install faster?

Most of that will come down to the hard drive and the interface that they use for it. The current Xbox One has a 5200rpm drive, with a SATA 2 connection, both of which limit the speed. That's why games load faster from an external drive, it's not limited by either(depending on the drive you spring for of course), as USB3 is way faster than SATA2.

I'd say no, it's not going to be any faster. Make no mistake, Microsoft aren't releasing the S for a spec bump, they're releasing it because it'll be cheaper to make than the current model. It makes no sense to try and reduce costs in one area, only to up the cost in another.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 642 ✭✭✭qrx

Digital Foundry did a breakdown on the Scorpio reveal and are doubting that Microsoft will deliver on the 4K gaming, good analysis and I suspect he will be right and we might get a fudge on 4K.

Digital Foundry did a breakdown on the Scorpio reveal and are doubting that Microsoft will deliver on the 4K gaming, good analysis and I suspect he will be right and we might get a fudge on 4K.

Unsurprising really, considering that even the latest graphics cards can't hit 4k/60 fps. The Scorpio won't even have the best GPU in it, so it was never going to get there.

However, even with the fudge, it's still going to be a massive leap in terms of graphics, and it's something that will be more evident than the leap from Xbox 360 to Xbox One, or PS3 to PS4.

• Advertisement

CatInABox wrote: »
    Unsurprising really, considering that even the latest graphics cards can't hit 4k/60 fps. The Scorpio won't even have the best GPU in it, so it was never going to get there.

However, even with the fudge, it's still going to be a massive leap in terms of graphics, and it's something that will be more evident than the leap from Xbox 360 to Xbox One, or PS3 to PS4.

That is true but they shouldn't really be selling it as a 4K gaming console, I'd prefer if they sold it as a rock solid 1080P 60FPS console rather then the possibility of just up scaling to 4K, as you said even pc's can't hit 4K 60fps. It will still be the best spec'd console out there but I think we are a couple of years away from console 4K gaming!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement