Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Xbox One General Discussion - Part 2 (Please Read 1st Post)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,561 ✭✭✭quad_red

That is true but they shouldn't really be selling it as a 4K gaming console, I'd prefer if they sold it as a rock solid 1080P 60FPS console rather then the possibility of just up scaling to 4K, as you said even pc's can't hit 4K 60fps. It will still be the best spec'd console out there but I think we are a couple of years away from console 4K gaming!

Given the specs that's probably the best description of it.

But they can't sell Scorpio as a 60fps/1080p console when they've busted their balls trying to argue that the X1 was a 60fps/1080p console.
    Savage stated that Xbox One has 32 MB of high speed ESRAM, that is placed right next to the GPU and GPU alone can see the Xbox One’s ESRAM. This helps GPU in giving a “very very high bandwidth output”. In this era of next-gen, applications demand a high amount of bandwidth to render scenes, that is why Savage says that “regular system memory is gonna be a huge win”.

This is how you get to 1080p, this is how you run at 60 frames per second… period, if you’re bottlenecked by graphics.”

Read more: http://wccftech.com/microsoft-xbox-esram-huge-win-explains-reaching-1080p60-fps/#ixzz4BjbhdMBA

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,296 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

That is true but they shouldn't really be selling it as a 4K gaming console, I'd prefer if they sold it as a rock solid 1080P 60FPS console rather then the possibility of just up scaling to 4K, as you said even pc's can't hit 4K 60fps. It will still be the best spec'd console out there but I think we are a couple of years away from console 4K gaming!

You are right, maybe they're banking on being able to take advantage of technological advances in the next 18 months? Would be a risky game as even if the console runs at 1080p with 60+fps as a standard it's going to get torn apart in the gaming press after the 4k claims.

Personally the main selling point for me is 1080p @ 60+fps rather than the 4k asnd I imagine that that will be the case for a lot of people. I'm not going to be gaming on a screen an bigger than 32inches max so 4k makes no odds to me (HDR is more important by all accounts I've seen unless you get a gargantuan screen).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 642 ✭✭✭qrx

CatInABox wrote: »
    Unsurprising really, considering that even the latest graphics cards can't hit 4k/60 fps. The Scorpio won't even have the best GPU in it, so it was never going to get there.

But as this is a console, there will be developer guidelines on how to get 4K. Namely dynamic scaling where the vertical resolution shrinks on complex\busy parts of the game. Sorry, that helps keep the framerate steady but would drop the resolution below 4K

The other good thing about all this is, with play anywhere, you'll also get better performance out of a similar spec PC. you can basically build your own Xbox and upgrade components to match future Xbox upgrades instead of buying a whole new console. Although I'd imagine it would probably work out cheaper to buy the new console.

Mickeroo wrote: »
    You are right, maybe they're banking on being able to take advantage of technological advances in the next 18 months?

That's exactly what they are doing. they looked into releasing a new console this year and with the specs 4K was not possible. I'd imagine they have talked to the industry and 6 TFLOPS is realistic at an affordable price by late 2017. I wouldn't be surprised if they are being a bit cautious with the 6 TFLOPS. What they've said is that developers have told them that they need 6 TFLOPS, doesn't mean there won't be more than 6 TFLOPS. Especially if Sony start bumping up their specs.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,361 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

qrx wrote: »
    But as this is a console, there will be developer guidelines on how to get 4K. Namely dynamic scaling where the vertical resolution shrinks on complex\busy parts of the game.

But if you're doing dynamic scaling, then you're not doing 4K.

• Advertisement

Had a look around yesterday at some 4k/UHD tv's , no intention of buying just seeing what was currently out there. Price wise I certainly couldn't justify it and even if it could many of the ones in the 500-800 price range were lacking HDR support.

Come scorpio launch there will be better ones but not at a better price I fear.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,703 ✭✭✭JoyPad

Had a look around yesterday at some 4k/UHD tv's , no intention of buying just seeing what was currently out there. Price wise I certainly couldn't justify it and even if it could many of the ones in the 500-800 price range were lacking HDR support.

Come scorpio launch there will be better ones but not at a better price I fear.

I just bought a new TV for my son's XB1. He used to play on an ancient 32" Samsung LCD, which was a bit small for my eyes, when we played together.

I had to look a lot to find a 40" LED TV under €500. Every store I asked in, they'd try to bump me up to UltraHD or 4K. No, I said, only need 1080p HD, not smart, not higher res, and lower price. They don't make them anymore, I was told.

CatInABox wrote: »
    But if you're doing dynamic scaling, then you're not doing 4K.

You're right, my bad. This is what they did in Halo 5 to keep the frame rate at a steady 60fps.

But I wonder, is this what they mean by 4K gaming? Mostly 4K except for the busy parts? They call Halo 5 1080p and it's not always, I think Scorpio games will be the same.

JoyPad wrote: »
    I just bought a new TV for my son's XB1. He used to play on an ancient 32" Samsung LCD, which was a bit small for my eyes, when we played together.

I had to look a lot to find a 40" LED TV under €500. Every store I asked in, they'd try to bump me up to UltraHD or 4K. No, I said, only need 1080p HD, not smart, not higher res, and lower price. They don't make them anymore, I was told.

http://euronics.ie/product/cello-42-inc-4k-tv-c42250dvb4k2k/
    €399 42" 4K, no smart technology.

No idea about the brand (Cello), but if it's only for gaming does it matter?

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,296 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Worth keeping an eye on the richer sounds talk to forum here, theyve a few good deals going in this thread: http://www.boards.ie/ttfthread/2057610230

• Advertisement

Personally I'm going for the dual setup. I've had a Sony 1080p for 9 years now and still going strong. I won't buy any other brand (LG might be tempting but will need to be a compelling reason). I'm waiting for 4K HDR to be affordable, which will probably be January sales 2018. Then it'll be a new Scorpio and 4K tv for the living room, while the game room sticks with 32" 1080p + xbox one. I'll happily switch between playing the scorpio and xbox one depending on which room is available.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,703 ✭✭✭JoyPad

http://euronics.ie/product/cello-42-inc-4k-tv-c42250dvb4k2k/
    €399 42" 4K, no smart technology.

No idea about the brand (Cello), but if it's only for gaming does it matter?

Yeah, but I wanted (1) a known brand, and (2) to see it in a store.
    I was actually looking for a 40" Samsung, which D.I.D. and Curry still displayed, but had none left in stock. And I didn't want the one that had been on display for 2 years.

I ended up purchasing a 40" Sony, which is Smart (not that my son will ever use that), and cost only €429.

Also, the TV must have been no bigger than 40", based on space available in his bedroom. Seriously, I had a measuring tape with me and actually measured a couple of the TVs in several stores. I'm old fashioned that way :)

• Registered Users Posts: 28,130 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

RicherSounds are your friends so. They have a Talk To Forum on Boards.

I got a 40 inch 4K LG for €329 off them a few months ago (ex display and 6 year warranty) and it's been perfect so far.

Edit: I see Mickroo singing their praises as well.

Yeah, but I wanted (1) a known brand, and (2) to see it in a store.
    I was actually looking for a 40" Samsung, which D.I.D. and Curry still displayed, but had none left in stock. And I didn't want the one that had been on display for 2 years.

I ended up purchasing a 40" Sony, which is Smart (not that my son will ever use that), and cost only €429.

Also, the TV must have been no bigger than 40", based on space available in his bedroom. Seriously, I had a measuring tape with me and actually measured a couple of the TVs in several stores. I'm old fashioned that way :)

Sounds like a good deal for a Sony. Paid about that not too long ago for a 32" HD Samsung.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,431 ✭✭✭MilesMorales1

I pre ordered my 1TB today. I got my 4K tv for €606 I think it was? Love it.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,799 ✭✭✭MiskyBoyy

I pre ordered my 1TB today.

1TB Slim?

GameStop are doing a trade in on the 2TB.

emmetkenny wrote: »

How much will they gave me for my 2TB XB1? :rolleyes:

MiskyBoyy wrote: »
    How much will they gave me for my 2TB XB1? :rolleyes:

Did you fit your own drive?

Did you fit your own drive?

Yeah. I posted it back in the old hardware discussion thread. Starts on #93 if you're interested: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057331167&page=3

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,207 ✭✭✭miralize

can you post the link to that promo?

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 7,405 Mod ✭✭✭✭pleasant Co.

Sounds like a good deal for a Sony. Paid about that not too long ago for a 32" HD Samsung.

The sony TV brand isn't the sony tv brand of old sadly, you may pay a premium price but you're not getting a premium brand. Chances are - depending on model - your samsung is a better set.

miralize wrote: »

One of the lads just sent the screenshot above. Didn't see the link myself.

miralize wrote: »

https://www.gamestop.ie/xboxones-upgrade

• Registered Users Posts: 3,273 ✭✭✭Gizmo55

So, they're basically giving you €160 for a 500gb Xbox One console? No thanks.

Gizmo55 wrote: »
    So, they're basically giving you €160 for a 500gb Xbox One console? No thanks.

Still more than CeX currently give. (€151 without box, €156 with box)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,431 ✭✭✭MilesMorales1

1TB Slim?

Yeah. I wonder if that deal will apply to the 1TB console? Cos I might sell my PS4 to get this while the PS4 still gets a decent value, then buy a neos later in the year.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,273 ✭✭✭Gizmo55

Still more than CeX currently give. (€151 without box, €156 with box)

That's true. I'd personally just sell it myself on adverts.ie

Phil Spencer said yesterday there were some big b.c games coming tomorrow, now this was spotted on new preview store:

Is it happening? :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,381 ✭✭✭✭Allyall

Does anyone know how long that deal is good for?
    If I was to agree/sign up to trade in my Xbox one today, would I have to be without one until August?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement