Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Xbox One General Discussion - Part 2 (Please Read 1st Post)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,420 ✭✭✭FAILSAFE 00

CatInABox wrote: »

Scratched and missing disks are one of the many reasons that I've gone digital this generation. Haven't had a reason to regret that decision yet, it's been fantastic.

But sir, you can insure your game disc for just €1 :)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,799 ✭✭✭MiskyBoyy

But sir, you can insure your game disc for just €1

Alright there Mister Corporate Games shop.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,247 ✭✭✭Max Mafioso

Wait wait wait wait wait........you can rent games from Libraries now?
    Why has no one told me this before? WHY??

I haven't bought a game on disc since 2013.

The Xbox Beta app on Android FINALLY received the ability to redeem codes in app.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 714 ✭✭✭feelgoodinc27

I have a € Xbox credit code from hmvgamecredit is it valid for countries other than Ireland?

I have a € Xbox credit code from hmvgamecredit is it valid for countries other than Ireland?
    No, just Ireland.

Edit: see my post below from the Xbox website.

No, just Ireland.

Can't you switch countries in your Xbox l ce you redeem the code and use your euro balance in any other country that uses euro tho? I've yet to try it but someone on reddit mentioned you can.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 642 ✭✭✭qrx

Scratched and missing disks are one of the many reasons that I've gone digital this generation. Haven't had a reason to regret that decision yet, it's been fantastic.

Personally I can see a major downside to digital. I've 2 games I bought based on good reviews and just haven't got into them at all. Far Cry 4 and Batman. This was before i travelled a lot, so paid full €70 each for them. Would've loved to be able to sell them on.

Rather than revert back to disks I'm just extra, extra careful about what games I buy now and usually only ever in a sale.

I think we need some clarification on this before someone tries this and the **** hits the fan :D

I have currency in loads of different countries on my Xbox account. Some money in Russia, USA, Argentina, etc, etc. I can't use the currency from region X in region Y.

I thought Xbox currency cards were region locked? no?

• Advertisement

So it looks like you can. You just have to be careful with the billing address. I wouldn't recommend because I have not tried it myself but maybe someone has.

http://support.xbox.com/en-IE/billing/prepaid-codes/types-of-prepaid-codes

Notes

Make sure that when you purchase an Xbox gift card, the currency used to purchase the gift card matches the country associated with the recipient’s billing account. Otherwise, the recipient will be unable to redeem the gift card.

If you redeem an Xbox gift card in a country that doesn’t match the country associated with your billing account, you won’t be able to use those funds.

If you’ve changed your physical location and wish to redeem currency to your account from your new region, follow the steps below for your specific console:

Xbox One: To change your region, go to your Xbox One system settings. You can also change your locale while signed in to Xbox.com.

Xbox 360: See Change the region of your Xbox Live account.

Microsoft can’t combine currencies from different regions, so make sure that you spend all of your local currency in your current region as it will be unrecoverable after changing your locale.

The funds in your Microsoft account can’t be transferred.

Exception Since euros are used as currency in multiple countries, make sure that the recipient of an Xbox gift card purchased with euros redeems the card in the country associated with the recipient’s billing account.

qrx wrote:
    Personally I can see a major downside to digital. I've 2 games I bought based on good reviews and just haven't got into them at all. Far Cry 4 and Batman. This was before i travelled a lot, so paid full €70 each for them. Would've loved to be able to sell them on.

There's your problem. I definitely wouldn't be all digital this gen if I was paying 70 per game. Go for cheapest digital market combined with halfsies with my game sharing buddy = unresistable prices for all games.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Bone Idle

I don't understand why digital copies are in many cases more expensive than disks? I would have assumed a digital copy would be significantly less expensive given the costs of manufacturing, shipping and retail selling.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,361 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

Bone Idle wrote: »
    I don't understand why digital copies are in many cases more expensive than disks? I would have assumed a digital copy would be significantly less expensive given the costs of manufacturing, shipping and retail selling.

Loads of factors go into it really.

Digital stores are undoubtedly cheaper for the publisher, but there's also nothing to drive the price down.

The physical stores also don't operate the same business model at all. They make next to no money buying games from publishers, rather they rely on money being made from selling second hand games. That's why the second hand section in stores is now larger than the new section.

Publishers would love to get rid of the second hand market, as they only make money from the first sale, while the store can make money every time it's resold.

This is also why we're starting to see full price games include elements of free to play in them, like Halo and Overwatch. Companies are just trying to make more money.

Sorry. This post has more rambling than the English countryside.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Bone Idle

Loads of factors go into it really.

Digital stores are undoubtedly cheaper for the publisher, but there's also nothing to drive the price down.

The physical stores also don't operate the same business model at all. They make next to no money buying games from publishers, rather they rely on money being made from selling second hand games. That's why the second hand section in stores is now larger than the new section.

Publishers would love to get rid of the second hand market, as they only make money from the first sale, while the store can make money every time it's resold.

This is also why we're starting to see full price games include elements of free to play in them, like Halo and Overwatch. Companies are just trying to make more money.

Sorry. This post has more rambling than the English countryside.

I guess at some point in the future, Microsoft will drop the disk drive from their console and only sell games in digital format.

I mean does anyone buy Blue Ray disks? It seems unnecessary to have a disk drive in this day and age.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,703 ✭✭✭JoyPad

I guess at some point in the future, Microsoft will drop the disk drive from their console and only sell games in digital format.

I mean does anyone buy Blue Ray disks? It seems unnecessary to have a disk drive in this day and age.

With the console positioned to be the media center in your living room, the BluRay disc player is mostly for your movies, not for your games.

Apparently it's a big thing still. I've seen people online saying they're going to buy the new Xbox ONE S because it will be the cheapest 4K Blu-ray disc player on the market.

These people will be buying it just for that purpose alone. They'll then have the benefit of having a games console built in too.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

MiskyBoyy wrote: »
    Apparently it's a big thing still. I've seen people online saying they're going to buy the new Xbox ONE S because it will be the cheapest 4K Blu-ray disc player on the market.

These people will be buying it just for that purpose alone. They'll then have the benefit of having a games console built in too.

Just to add cheapest HDR 4K blu-ray player.

MiskyBoyy wrote: »

Those are the ones who bought 4k TV's early with nothing to watch on them :D

I saw one live in a pals place a few weeks back who has more money than sense, HDR is a big thing a massive thing I have to say , the extra resolution is not especially when it comes to live TV , the upscaling of regular 1080 tv on it wasn't pretty

EDit: Saw an intersting read the other day which basically said make sure the tv does HDR10 , most seem to agree that will be the blu ray to Dolby Visions HD DVD. Samsung and Sony are in the 10 camp. Both can be done with software I think though but not sure if theres issues there or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

Okay I'm thinking out loud here, but if I sold my Xbox One what happens to my digital games? Like can I give them to the new owner with the console. I also do not want to give away my profile or gamertag as I have a credit card linked to it and I may get another new xbox one in the future maybe the scorpio as I have car problems atm and need the cash. Cheers!

• Advertisement

Okay I'm thinking out loud here, but if I sold my Xbox One what happens to my digital games? Like can I give them to the new owner with the console. I also do not want to give away my profile or gamertag as I have a credit card linked to it and I may get another new xbox one in the future maybe the scorpio as I have car problems atm and need the cash. Cheers!
    You cannot sell the games. They are linked to your profile. You can just remove your profile and sell your Xbox One.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,247 ✭✭✭Max Mafioso

Just finished reading this, good laugh. Its a comic base don the Next Gen console wars
    http://imgur.com/gallery/VQDgJ

• Registered Users Posts: 6,521 ✭✭✭joe123

My Xbox One controller is on the blink. Anyone know the cheapest place to pick up a new one? Also as it was a day 1 console, the headset for it is one of those that plug into the bottom of it.

Do the new ones come with the same connection or will I have to get myself a new headset too? I also have the battery pack. Will this still work?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,507 ✭✭✭runawaybishop

There are a huge amount of users that do not have the bandwidth to go digital, so while a diskless variant may be released there will be a version with a disk drive for quite some time to come.

A lot of people also like to buy physical because they can trade them after so there would be a large outcry if disks were dropped.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭Stone Deaf 4evr

joe123 wrote: »
    My Xbox One controller is on the blink. Anyone know the cheapest place to pick up a new one? Also as it was a day 1 console, the headset for it is one of those that plug into the bottom of it.

Do the new ones come with the same connection or will I have to get myself a new headset too? I also have the battery pack. Will this still work?

all your existing stuff will work with the new controller, the older port is still on the newer controllers.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,361 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

There are a huge amount of users that do not have the bandwidth to go digital, so while a diskless variant may be released there will be a version with a disk drive for quite some time to come.

A lot of people also like to buy physical because they can trade them after so there would be a large outcry if disks were dropped.

The only way to go truly digital would be to support SD cards (Or similiar), and then provide kiosks in certain stores that would allow you download/update any games on it.

Of course, no one wants to build out kiosks anymore, so most likely they'll continue with disks until they think broadband is ubiquitous.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,703 ✭✭✭JoyPad

What's funny about the disc games is that you have to have the massive broadband anyway to download game updates.
    Thanks to good advice here, my son didn't have to wait for hours to play with his Christmas presents, but what happens when you're stuck with bad connections?! Oh, the horror...

• Registered Users Posts: 714 ✭✭✭feelgoodinc27

So it looks like you can. You just have to be careful with the billing address. I wouldn't recommend because I have not tried it myself but maybe someone has.

http://support.xbox.com/en-IE/billing/prepaid-codes/types-of-prepaid-codes

OK thanks. so once the billing address is in Euro country it should be fine.

• Advertisement

The 500gb & 1TB models of the new Xbox ONE S are releasing August 23rd.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement