Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Xbox One General Discussion - Part 2 (Please Read 1st Post)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,420 ✭✭✭FAILSAFE 00

Will current games be upscaled to 4K with the Xbox One S provided you have a 4K tv of course ?
    Yes, Any decent 4K TV will have an upscaler anyway. Works well with the original Xbox One.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,124 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

One of the lads just traded in his 1TB Xbox One against the One S in GameStop.

Should have been €180 to upgrade but ended up paying €170 and got a €40 headset and 3 month Live card for that €170.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

Pickpocket wrote: »
    Hi guys. I'm a PS4 owner with a pay-packet that's burning a hole in my pocket. So I'm on the verge of impulse buying a One S. Help me make a more considered decision!

I'm a fairly recent adapter to Xbox One having owned a PS4 for the last number of years and to be honest, my experience of both consoles have been the same thus far.

Both have great exclusives (out already or upcoming) so having both consoles is a positive in that regard.

If you don't have a budget and still have a bit of breathing space I would recommend getting an Xbox One BUT I can only speak on behalf of myself and the route I went down.

I bought a current model of Xbox One right before E3 for a pretty good price. Around €250 with a crop of games.

I don't necessarily regret not waiting for an Xbox One S but Scorpio is due out late next year so I figure I'd pay a relatively small price now and save for Scorpio next year.

Like I say, I'm happy with my purchase despite a newer, seemingly more powerful model but to tell you the truth, I don't care a huge amount about how much processing power and other bits and pieces it has.

The games are fun. Sunset Overdrive was worth shelling out for alone and The Master Chief Collection is value for money. Upcoming titles such as Sea of Thieves, Gears 4 and Recore have a lot of people excited and it's a pretty good time to own both with some nice looking exclusives on the horizon.

I have no regrets anyway. Your back log may just increase ten fold but sure that's the norm these days.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,391 ✭✭✭✭McDermotX

Had a quick look at the S unit there, but won't get to try it until after.
    Lovely device, very sharp looking....pad feels nice but it's no Elite.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,361 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

Reviews of the Xbox One S are all out, and it's kinda as expected. Most seem to think it's what the console should have been in the first place, 4K is nice to have, but not enough content is available. Some reviews are saying the fans are louder, others say it's quieter.

Also some complaints over the whole HDR10 thing, with some saying that monitors that should be supported aren't.

I'm kinda tempted. If there's a good trade in offer, I might take it.

• Advertisement

Word is you can get the kinect adaptor for free from Microsoft if you have the serial numbers for both consoles. So if trading one in and want to keep the Kinect make sure to make a note of the serial number.

OK....had a quick look after hooking it up.
    About an update of 1.1GB straight away, and at the end of setup it asks if you want to go to 4K and it does a quick test. From then on its the usual Xbox experience, but if you into the advanced video settings it has a section to detail your TV and check off if you can support 24/60Hz, HDR, 3D etc.

UHD BD playback with HDR appears fine so far but will have a much closer look after, though there is some dithering at work in comparison to a dedicated Panasonic player (same calibration settings at work on the TV), and I haven't gone to the trouble of going straight to the receiver so cannot verify if full HD audio bitstream is working (I hear some sites are saying it's not which is what was being reported last month), but it appears to do a more than adequate job thus far. Netflix HDR is working as well as well as the standard 4K stuff.

Only put on Inside for a couple mins, so can't really say how games are up and running until afterwards, so that game's understated visuals don't give a clear impression of how upscaling is being handled.

Wee bit more noise in the fan stakes compared to say an Elite, so it's probably on a par with an original Day One box, but it's not too intrusive - though I'd be lying if I said it didn't make a fair fist of noise while spinning a disc.
    Nothing wrong with the pad, but I'd honestly be willing to give MS more money if it meant an Elite controller in every box.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 642 ✭✭✭qrx

DigitalFoundry review

Uses 30-something percent less power. So basically you can make your money back by playing more :p

• Registered Users Posts: 9,507 ✭✭✭runawaybishop

Word is you can get the kinect adaptor for free from Microsoft if you have the serial numbers for both consoles. So if trading one in and want to keep the Kinect make sure to make a note of the serial number.

Where did you hear that? I'd be skeptical, given the serial numbers are sequential so you could just guess. I have a bunch of serials for both as it is.

Where did you hear that? I'd be skeptical, given the serial numbers are sequential so you could just guess. I have a bunch of serials for both as it is.

http://support.xbox.com/en-IE/xbox-one/accessories/kinect-adapter

They basically want three serials in total. S, Old console, Kinect

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,507 ✭✭✭runawaybishop

McDermotX wrote: »
    http://support.xbox.com/en-IE/xbox-one/accessories/kinect-adapter

They basically want three serials in total. S, Old console, Kinect

Well colour me surprised. They cost like 50 quid a pop. BRB, ordering a bunch. thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

Well colour me surprised. They cost like 50 quid a pop. BRB, ordering a bunch. thanks.

How many xbox ones and kinects do you have?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

I'm no expert but afaik it is a feature of a more expensive 4K tv.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,703 ✭✭✭JoyPad

Sorry if this is unrelated, but am I supposed to be able to register my devices on that Microsoft support website?
    After I select Ireland, the device type list is limited to Surface.

JoyPad wrote: »
    Sorry if this is unrelated, but am I supposed to be able to register my devices on that Microsoft support website?
    After I select Ireland, the device type list is limited to Surface.

Should be on the xbox site no ? Not the MS one.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,273 ✭✭✭Gizmo55

CatInABox wrote: »
    The UWP version of Groove is out now, with background audio.

It's pretty great, so much faster than the older version, navigating it is instantaneous, with none of the old "Ah, you're moving to a new screen, wait 30 seconds while I fetch your music collection from an old filing cabinet." It's also got the latest modes that came out recently on Windows 10.

It is, essentially, the Windows 10 app, so if you've used that, then you've used this.

The only problem with it so far is that it's pretty buggy. Crashed about 4 times so far, but one of those was expected. Going into the app for the first time will crash the app, so just go in again.

All in all, very worthwhile upgrade.

EDIT: Actually, it might only be live in the preview, I thought it was just generally available. Perhaps they're holding off until the bugs are fixed.

Did you uninstall Groove and then reinstall it? I couldn't get it to work properly so had a read up and found that's what you need to do to get the updated version. It's working flawlessly for me now. It makes such a differnece having music, Forza is just amazing with it. Delighted!

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,361 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

Gizmo55 wrote: »
    Did you uninstall Groove and then reinstall it? I couldn't get it to work properly so had a read up and found that's what you need to do to get the updated version. It's working flawlessly for me now. It makes such a differnece having music, Forza is just amazing with it. Delighted!

Yeah, I uninstalled both, as it wasn't showing an update, didn't realise that it was "required".

• Registered Users Posts: 215 ✭✭jvrk

New too xbox picked up the s today. My god all its been doing is updates most of the day since I turned it on even the joypad needed a update.

Huh. I didn't think that the Xbox One S would actually run faster in games themselves, but it turns out it it's apparent in some games.

Not sure how I feel about this now.

jvrk wrote: »
    New too xbox picked up the s today. My god all its been doing is updates most of the day since I turned it on even the joypad needed a update.

What sort of Broadband do you have? Should only be one update of approx 1.5GB.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Captain Chaos

emmetkenny wrote: »

I turned on my One today for the first time in a year and had a 2gb then a 1.5gb update to do. Does not look like they rolled the update files together.

• Registered Users Posts: 215 ✭✭jvrk

Fibre I but in a 4k bluray had to download the app also all the games I put in needed updates or was slow too install. Not too worried mainly bought it as a 4 bluray player.

I turned on my One today for the first time in a year and had a 2gb then a 1.5gb update to do. Does not look like they rolled the update files together.

You had the initial update to the new dashboard and then the 1.5GB update that was pushed Saturday night.

The One S already has the new dashboard installed and only has to pull down the most recent update.

jvrk wrote: »
    Fibre I but in a 4k bluray had to download the app also all the games I put in needed updates or was slow too install. Not too worried mainly bought it as a 4 bluray player.

Ah I thought you meant you'd system updates downloading all day :D

Huh. I didn't think that the Xbox One S would actually run faster in games themselves, but it turns out it it's apparent in some games.

Not sure how I feel about this now.

Is this a good thing?

Is this a good thing?

Yes, if you've got an Xbox One S. Some games will run smoother, some will run without as many dropped frames, and some will be exactly the same on both consoles.

It doesn't really matter all that much to be honest, it's only a max 5-10% boost in some games.

It makes it more complicated to recommend the older console now though, despite the great deals that they have on those models right now.

Yes, if you've got an Xbox One S. Some games will run smoother, some will run without as many dropped frames, and some will be exactly the same on both consoles.

It doesn't really matter all that much to be honest, it's only a max 5-10% boost in some games.

It makes it more complicated to recommend the older console now though, despite the great deals that they have on those models right now.

The S is priced very well at the €399 for the 2TB as well.

Surprises me it uses less power than the fat (we're callin git that now ? :pac:) even while overclocked

• Registered Users Posts: 2,624 ✭✭✭Thor

Surprises me it uses less power than the fat (we're callin git that now ? :pac:) even while overclocked

28nm down to 16nm will make this pretty power efficient.

• Advertisement

Thor wrote: »
    28nm down to 16nm will make this pretty power efficient.

Ahhhhh it sure will!! Didn't spot that.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement