Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Xbox One General Discussion - Part 2 (Please Read 1st Post)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,202 ✭✭✭maximoose

iamtony wrote: »
    Heya lads,

I'm trying to stream to a Windows 10 laptop which doesn't have a lot of power it's an Acer aspire v5-122p I think.
    I keep getting disconnected. I'm on wireless with a Horizon box as the router but the test within the Xbox app says it should work on the highest settings(all boxes get a tick)
    I'm guessing the slow laptop is to blame?
    Has anyone any experience with cheap laptops/Tablets that can confirm what the problem is.

It's quite likely that this piece of shît is your problem. They are truly woeful, I'd push virgin for a standalone router.

Can you try it wired and see if the laptop copes?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,801 ✭✭✭iamtony

maximoose wrote: »
    It's quite likely that this piece of shît is your problem. They are truly woeful. I'd push virgin for a standalone modem.

Yeah it's possible although the test says it's working fast enough but the laptop is very slow anyway and takes ages to do anything which points me towards the laptop. The laptop doesn't have an Ethernet port and apparently it came with an adapter to connect it to Ethernet but God know where it is.
    The reason I think it should work on the laptop is it works on the tablet with the controller built around it which has similar specs I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,273 ✭✭✭Gizmo55

maximoose wrote: »
    It's quite likely that this piece of shît is your problem. They are truly woeful, I'd push virgin for a standalone router.

I'd absolutely second this. Horizon boxes are dreadful, just get a standalone router from them.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,799 ✭✭✭MiskyBoyy

Seen this mentioned on Reddit. You can say "Hey Cortana, test my internet speed."

MrGB6Jo.jpg?1

Very handy!

The ping & upload are a bit off but the download is good.

5545785701.png

• Advertisement

Gizmo55 wrote: »
    I'd absolutely second this. Horizon boxes are dreadful, just get a standalone router from them.
    Yeah I don't deny it has problems with some devices, my 2 ps4s had problems until I sorted homeplugs but I must say for everything else including, sky boxes, Apple TVs, multiple phones, iPads, laptops, Macs, Wii U, Smart tv's etc. It's flawless. The 2009 iMac upstairs(box downstairs) tests at about 150Mbps down.
    Is the Xbox one known to disagree with the Horizon box on wifi like the ps4?

MiskyBoyy wrote: »
    Seen this mentioned on Reddit. You can say "Hey Cortana, test my internet speed."

MrGB6Jo.jpg?1

Very handy!

Might want to blur out your IP there Misky not hacking you now honest :p

Interesting though as vodafone have you on the 109 range and moved us to the 51.x.x.x one

• Registered Users Posts: 3,273 ✭✭✭Gizmo55

iamtony wrote: »
    Yeah I don't deny it has problems with some devices, my 2 ps4s had problems until I sorted homeplugs but I must say for everything else including, sky boxes, Apple TVs, multiple phones, iPads, laptops, Macs, Wii U, Smart tv's etc. It's flawless. The 2009 iMac upstairs(box downstairs) tests at about 150Mbps down.
    Is the Xbox one known to disagree with the Horizon box on wifi like the ps4?

I'd loads of problems with it a couple of years ago with Xbox One so switched back to a router and everything's fine since.

Might want to blur out your IP there Misky not hacking you now honest :p

Interesting though as vodafone have you on the 109 range and moved us to the 51.x.x.x one

Oh yeah whoops. Cheers for the heads up. Just restarted my router to give me a fresh IP. I assume I won't be allocated that IP again?

Also, the new IP is a 93. one.

What's the deal with the 51.?

Gizmo55 wrote: »
    I'd loads of problems with it a couple of years ago with Xbox One so switched back to a router and everything's fine since.

Ok thanks, once I know the Xbox has had problems on it I'll troubleshoot with that in mind. I like the neatness of the horizon box in my sitting room and real estate is at a premium under the tv I'd rather not have to add an extra router with an extra set of wires and an extra plug socket space used if I can help it.

• Advertisement

MiskyBoyy wrote: »
    Oh yeah whoops. Cheers for the heads up. Just restarted my router to give me a fresh IP. I assume I won't be allocated that IP again?

Also, the new IP is a 93. one.

What's the deal with the 51.?

Just realised there as herself was giving out about all the cones and barricades etc on the road after coming home in the car, they are laying fiber here so likely down to changes in the network from that.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,133 ✭✭✭GottaGetGatt

Lads does anyone who has the Sky Go app on their xbox one tell me are the irish channels not added or is there a way to add them??Only seeing English channels on mine.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,124 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

Lads does anyone who has the Sky Go app on their xbox one tell me are the irish channels not added or is there a way to add them??Only seeing English channels on mine.

Do you not need to pay extra for Sky Go Extra to get the app working on your Xbox?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,133 ✭✭✭GottaGetGatt

emmetkenny wrote: »
    Do you not need to pay extra for Sky Go Extra to get the app working on your Xbox?

you do

Nevermind ive it sorted.

emmetkenny wrote:

It's free if you have multi-room

• Registered Users Posts: 5,737 ✭✭✭Hococop

I'm probably in the wrong forum and its probably been asked a few times so apologies in advance but one of my friends mentioned hotspot on my phone, just wondering if its possible to set up my Xbox to use my mobile data with hotspot or have I got the idea of hotspot wrong?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,232 ✭✭✭ferrigan101

Hococop wrote: »
    I'm probably in the wrong forum and its probably been asked a few times so apologies in advance but one of my friends mentioned hotspot on my phone, just wondering if its possible to set up my Xbox to use my mobile data with hotspot or have I got the idea of hotspot wrong?

You have the idea right, just check that you are allowed to use your phone as a hotspot. If you aren't you could end up with your data being throttled or a big bill.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭mossym

technically it will work, but many of the operators don't want you doing it so just make sure you 1) check if it is allowed, and 2) make sure it's not going to get you a big bill or a giving out to from your network

• Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭Stone Deaf 4evr

mossym wrote: »
    technically it will work, but many of the operators don't want you doing it so just make sure you 1) check if it is allowed, and 2) make sure it's not going to get you a big bill or a giving out to from your network

Whats the basis for this? I would have thought that data is data, regardless of whats using it. Sure those wifi dongle things that phone operators sell have a sim card in them, surely its all the same?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭mossym

Whats the basis for this? I would have thought that data is data, regardless of whats using it. Sure those wifi dongle things that phone operators sell have a sim card in them, surely its all the same?

they see it that the price you pay for your phone plan is for data for your phone, and if you want to use it for other equipment they want you to buy a seperate plan, such as the dongles you mentioned.

in their eyes, a phone will only be used for x amoutn of data typically, for example no-one is going to sit and watch an 8 hour netflix stream on their phone, or download 20 movies to a phone. so they price the data plan accordingly, figuring usage will be low enough, social media, bit of audio streaming, etc. now allow hotspotting and that data usage can go up 10x, which they don't want, and want you to pay for.

data is data, but the amount you use is heavily dictated by the technology you use to access it.

and i don't work for a network operator, or anything of the type, so not stating either support or dislike for this model of operation...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,202 ✭✭✭maximoose

I'd imagine they don't want widespread knowledge of tethering cuz it would stop them selling these dongles!

Be careful tethering , it will hit you in the pocket if not done correctly. I know for example Vodafone charge 1.99 per 100mb outside of a data plan. To work within the data plan it must be set up and configured to use the correct APN.

Not sure why some block this or charge through the nose as said data is data ,could be down to any number of things, being able to use the connection with more than one device simultaneously for one.

I have a one plus phone, on Vodafone payg,

Top up by €20 and I get 20gb data, only use 7-8 a month so would be handy to spend the rest on the xbox

I have a one plus phone, on Vodafone payg,

Top up by €20 and I get 20gb data, only use 7-8 a month so would be handy to spend the rest on the xbox

Where'd you get that offer?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 642 ✭✭✭qrx

Be careful tethering , it will hit you in the pocket if not done correctly. I know for example Vodafone charge 1.99 per 100mb outside of a data plan. To work within the data plan it must be set up and configured to use the correct APN.

Not sure why some block this or charge through the nose as said data is data ,could be down to any number of things, being able to use the connection with more than one device simultaneously for one.

Best thing is to use the mobile hotspot. everything goes through your phone as if it was done on your phone, which will of course be setup properly on the correct APN etc.

your mobile provider will not even know about it unless you go over your data plan, then they might take a look into what you are doing and give you a wrap on the knuckles. But I think even then, it's not the fact that you are tethering, it's the fact that you're using lots of data.

The biggest risk with using a hotspot or tethering is that a PC will do a lot of background stuff and doesn't care about data plans like a smartphone does. But this is less of a concern with large data plans these days. And even less of a concern on an xbox. Make sure there are no automatic updates going on. You don't want it inadvertently downloading a 20gb patch!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,507 ✭✭✭runawaybishop

A lot of them, especially on pre-pay, turn a blind eye to it but they do not support it.

emmetkenny wrote: »
    Where'd you get that offer?

Vodafone offer, top up by €20, they take €10, I get 5 GB data then they add another 15 GB for noe

Vodafone offer, top up by €20, they take €10, I get 5 GB data then they add another 15 GB for noe

That's fairly sweet. I'm on the 30 day plan for €30 that gives me free calls and texts and 3GB data.

emmetkenny wrote:
    That's fairly sweet. I'm on the 30 day plan for €30 that gives me free calls and texts and 3GB data.

The changed it a few months back. It's now 5gb of data :)

For some reason whenever my 30 days are up I still keep my data, unlimited 4g at that. I keep receiving the texts each day saying I'm going over 100mb and will be charged blah blah per mb but when I top up eventually it never charges me lol.

• Advertisement
  • Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,296 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

They don't seem to have that offer on their site.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement