Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Xbox One General Discussion - Part 2 (Please Read 1st Post)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,507 ✭✭✭runawaybishop

emmetkenny wrote: »
    That's fairly sweet. I'm on the 30 day plan for €30 that gives me free calls and texts and 3GB data.

Three pay as you go 4G, 20 quid topup a month, 15 gb data (though i have gone over that several times and not been throttled), unlimited any network texts, unlimited three to three calls, free weekend calls and you still have your 20 euro credit to spend in HMV buying xbox credit.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,247 ✭✭✭Max Mafioso

What about 3's offer of unlimited Data for €20 a month?
    I just switched to that about a month ago as I was on a billed contract and only getting 2GB of Data while paying almost €50 a month

• Registered Users Posts: 28,124 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

Three pay as you go 4G, 20 quid topup a month, 15 gb data (though i have gone over that several times and not been throttled), unlimited any network texts, unlimited three to three calls, free weekend calls and you still have your 20 euro credit to spend in HMV buying xbox credit.

Threes coverage is terrible where I live.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,202 ✭✭✭maximoose

Yeah, the Three offer is hands down the best going on the face of it but their coverage outside of cities can be brutal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,340 ✭✭✭deco nate

Three paygo is now 60 gig and you can tether no problem

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 821 ✭✭✭Techniques07

deco nate wrote: »
    Three paygo is now 60 gig and you can tether no problem

The brother had this for xbox use and kept going over there 60 gig because he watched youtube videos also. He changed to 3 on his phone and started using the €20 top up unlimited data teathered to his Xbox instead and hasn't looked back. Much better if you have decent 3 coverage.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,737 ✭✭✭Hococop

The brother had this for xbox use and kept going over there 60 gig because he watched youtube videos also. He changed to 3 on his phone and started using the €20 top up unlimited data teathered to his Xbox instead and hasn't looked back. Much better if you have decent 3 coverage.

Yeah my bb at home is poor, 1.5 mb, can get around 4 mb on mobile, not much better but still an improvement, would it be on the Vodafone website about hotspot or is it a case of Ringing up?

• Lads check out LTE from Imagine, I'm getting connected in about 2 weeks.
    Heard good things about it.
    Basically they are hooking up to Fibre access points then direct send to a receiver at the side of the house.
    I don't believe it's line of site related either so no issue if you have tress in front of your gaf.

I have been using 4G 60GB a month from 3Mobile with both the Xbone & PS4 up until now

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,296 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Don't they hammer your speed if you download more than 20GB in a day though?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,727 ✭✭✭amadablam

M!Ck^ wrote: »
    Lads check out LTE from Imagine, I'm getting connected in about 2 weeks.
    Basically they are hooking up to Fibre access points then direct send to a receiver at the side of the house.
    I don't believe it's line of site related either so no issue if you have tress in front of your gaf.

I have been using 4G 60GB a month from 3Mobile with both the Xbone & PS4 up until now

First day on the job with Imagine Sales?? :D:D

I have it myself and its not bad but if you have been with Three, its probably the equivalent of finding your 4g spot for the first time.

• Advertisement

• amadablam wrote: »
    First day on the job with Imagine Sales?? :D:D

I have it myself and its not bad but if you have been with Three, its probably the equivalent of finding your 4g spot for the first time.

Yes that did sound a bit sales-man-like :P
    I'm crossing my fingers it's good but yes to Mickeroos point they limit the speed if you download over 20GB in a 24 hour period.
    TBH it's the best option I have had since Fibre went live in Ireland

• Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭Stone Deaf 4evr

M!Ck^ wrote: »
    Lads check out LTE from Imagine, I'm getting connected in about 2 weeks.

Whats the lag like playing over a 4G connection?

• Whats the lag like playing over a 4G connection?

They have promised a max ping of 30ms to UK & Eire based servers over the phone but sure look that's purely subjective. The sales guys really seemed push the conncetion stability so hope it's true.
    Only way to know is carry out speedtest on the day

At the moment I get 40-50ms max with 4G which is still very good tbh

• Registered Users Posts: 1,727 ✭✭✭amadablam

Whats the lag like playing over a 4G connection?

It's a b**ch for online playing, actually a disaster if you want to win and who doesn't :)

Mick, its very good if you are like me and moved to a rural location but it has flaws.

Monitor the lte thread on the broadband section of boards and you will get a feel for it.

Download and upload and pings are great but latency isn't great. For me, getting games and updates was more important as broadband is non existent on my **** pile.

You won't be disappointed though,at least I haven't been yet and I have been with most providers.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,361 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

Unfortunately, if you live down the country in Ireland, then broadband is just a series of trade-offs.

Want high speed, low lag? Expect to pay a serious price.
    Want high speed, low price? Expect high lag.

It's a pretty pathetic situation, particularly for a country that tries to sell itself as "high tech".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,029 ✭✭✭um7y1h83ge06nx

Completely 2 tier between urban and rural areas.

When I was living in Limerick city I used to play online occasionally, been in the countryside a year and I don't bother, the ping can vary too much.

I downloaded the episodes pack for Quantum Break last week, 75GB. Took something under 2 days. Imagine how long it would take on a good Virgin connection.

All in all it doesn't bother me too much as I don't really bother playing online all that much. I do find I need to plan things ahead a bit though - If I want to play a new game make sure I install it so it can grab the updates in advance of when I actually want to play it.

Nothing worse than settling down to play a game some evening after work, realise you have it purchased but not downloaded, and resign yourself to the fate that you won't be starting it until the next evening.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭mossym

depends where you are really. i don't live in an urban area, but am close to the exchange, and can get 100Mb fibre. problem tends to be distance from exchanges rather than rural (but admittedly it's usually the same issue)

• Registered Users Posts: 190 ✭✭Ould Mr Brennan

Prominence poker is up for free now on Xbox 1

• Closed Accounts Posts: 699 ✭✭✭Rorok

Is the Xbox one wifi down, got the 2GB update but no wifi is working and save files won't link

Wait looked at Reddit, this is from Xbox support

Hey guys!
    We're aware of issues regarding signing into Xbox Live and managing friends and the appropriate teams are on it! We'll keep you all posted as we receiving more info.
    Thanks for posting, everyone!
    ^ Beep

• Registered Users Posts: 3,801 ✭✭✭iamtony

Completely 2 tier between urban and rural areas.

When I was living in Limerick city I used to play online occasionally, been in the countryside a year and I don't bother, the ping can vary too much.

I downloaded the episodes pack for Quantum Break last week, 75GB. Took something under 2 days. Imagine how long it would take on a good Virgin connection.

All in all it doesn't bother me too much as I don't really bother playing online all that much. I do find I need to plan things ahead a bit though - If I want to play a new game make sure I install it so it can grab the updates in advance of when I actually want to play it.

Nothing worse than settling down to play a game some evening after work, realise you have it purchased but not downloaded, and resign yourself to the fate that you won't be starting it until the next evening.
    I downloaded almost the entire ea access Vault and the wwe game since yesterday on a virgin connection:-)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,498 ✭✭✭ECO_Mental

iamtony wrote: »
    I downloaded almost the entire ea access Vault and the wwe game since yesterday on a virgin connection:-)

Pfft... Do that in an hour or two with my 1Gb/s FTTH connection ;)

6.1kWp south facing, South of Cork City

• Registered Users Posts: 8,799 ✭✭✭MiskyBoyy

ECO_Mental wrote: »

You got one?

Sigh, hopefully by 2020 :rolleyes:

ECO_Mental wrote: »

Can the port in the Xbox even handle 1GB/S ?

Can the port in the Xbox even handle 1GB/S ?

:'(

36MRk4b.jpg

MiskyBoyy wrote: »
    :'(

36MRk4b.jpg

I didn't think there was anywhere in Wexford with those sort of speeds?

The guy in the pic above is an American YouTuber: https://www.youtube.com/user/wwjoshdew

Not sure if there's any FTTH in Wexford yet but few places penned in as going live end of this year with any luck, including Enniscorthy!

MiskyBoyy wrote: »
    The guy in the pic above is an American YouTuber: https://www.youtube.com/user/wwjoshdew

Not sure if there's any FTTH in Wexford yet but few places penned in as going live end of this year with any luck, including Enniscorthy!

I live outside the town so not sure if they will come out my way.

Virgin are digging up paths around the town and laying cables though.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,498 ✭✭✭ECO_Mental

Yeah I was one of the first in Cork to get Eir's FTTH service and I took the 1Gb/s profile :) I have seen 900Mb/s down on my xbox but it normally hovers around 400-700Mb/s, it tests to Seattle I think so my ping is 150ms never any lower. Upload is capped at 95Mb/s.

In reality when you download a game say from the EA server it downloads at about 250-300Mb/s so my 1Gb is a bit wasted but "better off looking at it, then looking for it"

Pings for example in rainbow six I am normally the lowest, in the menu screen it shows 7ms but when in a game I think it shows around 40 (don't play it much)

It's great for uninstalling games when space on the crappy 500gb drive is full, reinstalling is not an issue give it 10 mins and boom.

6.1kWp south facing, South of Cork City

I know that was the US but vodafone sent us a mailing offering up to 1000Mbps as soon as virgin media contractors starting digging up our road about a month or so ago. Which means VM are planning on reselling and allowing the use of their lines to competitors and it should be a real possibility in many other parts of the country because lets face it if we can get it here in louth so can many other big towns around the country.

Only thing thats stopping us is shopping around for a decent price on GSM monitored alarms as the current monitoring wont support the old phone line if we switch to FTTH (OT if anyone has any experience with alarms and options we'd have after moving to FTTH feel free to give advice, keep meaning to make a thread in the talk to VF forum but you know how they are and then theres the usual thread hijackers)

EDIT: See some other have said pretty much the same thing

• Advertisement

I know that was the US but vodafone sent us a mailing offering up to 1000Mbps as soon as virgin media contractors starting digging up our road about a month or so ago. Which means VM are planning on reselling and allowing the use of their lines to competitors and it should be a real possibility in many other parts of the country because lets face it if we can get it here in louth so can many other big towns around the country.

Only thing thats stopping us is shopping around for a decent price on GSM monitored alarms as the current monitoring wont support the old phone line if we switch to FTTH (OT if anyone has any experience with alarms and options we'd have after moving to FTTH feel free to give advice, keep meaning to make a thread in the talk to VF forum but you know how they are and then theres the usual thread hijackers)

EDIT: See some other have said pretty much the same thing

Phonewatch will install a GSM signal if you don't have a phone line.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement