Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Xbox One General Discussion - Part 2 (Please Read 1st Post)

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,360 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

Kinda related; Krebs is reporting that two of the core members of Lizard Squad are being charged by the feds. Couldn't happen to a nicer bunch of lads. :)

Anyone else get a code for the Steep closed alpha?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,519 ✭✭✭dor83

Anyone else get a code for the Steep closed alpha?
    Yeah, got one earlier myself, have the weekend off work too so should be able to play it a bit.

dor83 wrote: »
    Yeah, got one earlier myself, have the weekend off work too so should be able to play it a bit.

Yeah interested to see what this one is like.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,519 ✭✭✭dor83

Yeah interested to see what this one is like.

Yeah it looks like fun, the idea is good so lets hope the execution lives up to it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,305 ✭✭✭Joshua J

Does anyone know if you buy a digital xbox code from say cdkeys and activate it on the xbox website, can you play on windows 10 (play anywhere) even if you don't actually own an xbox?.

Joshua J wrote: »
    Does anyone know if you buy a digital xbox code from say cdkeys and activate it on the xbox website, can you play on windows 10 (play anywhere) even if you don't actually own an xbox?.

I'd assume so. Play anywhere should work with all digital copies so if you buy for xbox should work on pc and vice versa.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,122 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

It depends on what game your looking at. Only recent games published by Microsoft are available on Play Anywhere.

ReCore and Horizon 3 are the most recent ones.

I'd assume so. Play anywhere should work with all digital copies so if you buy for xbox should work on pc and vice versa.
    Yeah thats what I was assuming but I'll hold off till I'm sure. I'd assume also that I'd have to keep xbox live gold activated to play online even without an xbox. Been reading up and it's not immediately obvious.

emmetkenny wrote: »
    It depends on what game your looking at. Only recent games published by Microsoft are available on Play Anywhere.

ReCore and Horizon 3 are the most recent ones.
    Gears 4.

• Advertisement

Yeah thats what I was assuming but I'll hold off till I'm sure. I'd assume also that I'd have to keep xbox live gold activated to play online even without an xbox. Been reading up and it's not immediately obvious.

Oh no gold sub required on PC, sure what would you be getting for your sub other than multiplayer in 2 games at present if that was the case.

• Registered Users Posts: 759 ✭✭✭breeno

Hi guys, I'd appreciate a bit of advice. I'm looking to buy my first xbox shortly. I've been a ps man for as long as I remember and was planning to go for a ps4 after selling my ps3. I then heard about ea access which I like the sound of as well as being able to watch TV through the xbox guide so I've decided to make a change.

My question is I have the option of a nearly new 500gb standard model which I can get in the next few days or wait until payday at month end and get a new one s. Is there a huge difference between the two? Would I be best to just wait it out or jump in now with the standard model?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,799 ✭✭✭MiskyBoyy

breeno wrote: »
    My question is I have the option of a nearly new 500gb standard model which I can get in the next few days or wait until payday at month end and get a new one s. Is there a huge difference between the two? Would I be best to just wait it out or jump in now with the standard model?

The answer all depends on how much you're getting the pre-owned xbox for?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,273 ✭✭✭Gizmo55

This GOW4 and FH3 Ultimate Edition early access thing is here to stay I reckon. Sad times.

Gizmo55 wrote: »
    This GOW4 and FH3 Ultimate Edition early access thing is here to stay I reckon. Sad times.

Doesn't end there Battlefield is the same. Titanfall 2 not being EA access 10 hour trial as usual has me suspicious they'll pull the same either that or it's just poo.

Doesn't end there Battlefield is the same. Titanfall 2 not being EA access 10 hour trial as usual has me suspicious they'll pull the same either that or it's just poo.

It all just leaves a really bad taste in the mouth. I stopped pre ordering games a good while back, so many reviews come out too close to (or even after) release date. If I like a game I'll purchase any dlc after I finish it, not before just so I can play it a few days early. It's another way to get money from us, as if they don't have enough ways already with this gen. Chancers.

• Registered Users Posts: 759 ✭✭✭breeno

MiskyBoyy wrote: »
    The answer all depends on how much you're getting the pre-owned xbox for?

180 to 190. Probably with no games but will be on ea access to begin with anyway.

Appreciate any advice!

It all just leaves a really bad taste in the mouth. I stopped pre ordering games a good while back, so many reviews come out too close to (or even after) release date. If I like a game I'll purchase any dlc after I finish it, not before just so I can play it a few days early. It's another way to get money from us, as if they don't have enough ways already with this gen. Chancers.

Forza Horizon didn't even have all the DLC included in the ultimate play 4 days early edition they want another €25 for that, €35 if you dont have the ultimate edition

breeno wrote: »
    180 to 190. Probably with no games but will be on ea access to begin with anyway.

Appreciate any advice!

Personally, I'd get the new model, flog fifa if you don't want it for €40 so a brand new console with a guarantee for €260.

Forza Horizon didn't even have all the DLC included in the ultimate play 4 days early edition they want another €25 for that, €35 if you dont have the ultimate edition

Wtf? I presumed it included everything. Bad form.

• Advertisement

Wtf? I presumed it included everything. Bad form.

Yeah guess thats going to be called the super turbo deluxe edition but sure as long as the reddit generation ain't kicking up a fuss and still hugging nuts its money in the bank. I'm really surprised none of the major sites called bullpoo on that :mad:

Off topic but it's actually sickening the poo that makes it to the front page of the xbox subreddit :mad:

My mic and rechargable battery wouldn't work after getting the xbox one s but the battery is charging now after updating my system today. Still can't get my mic to work though. Half way there I guess!

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,360 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

My mic and rechargable battery wouldn't work after getting the xbox one s but the battery is charging now after updating my system today. Still can't get my mic to work though. Half way there I guess!

If you're in the preview, there was a new firmware update out last night for the Xbox One S controller.

On buying games, I was never someone that preordered games, as I never found that there was a shortage on launch day. In fact, my last pre-order was Ocarina Of Time back on the N64, back when there actually was shortages.

Nowadays I wait 6 months and games are 40% in digital sales, I don't get DLC, as I find it's rarely worth the money,and most of the problems are patched out by the time I get to it. I'm essentially a grumpy old man :o

• Registered Users Posts: 1,703 ✭✭✭JoyPad

CatInABox wrote: »
    Nowadays I wait 6 months and games are 40% in digital sales, I don't get DLC, as I find it's rarely worth the money,and most of the problems are patched out by the time I get to it. I'm essentially a grumpy old man :o

This works out when you play whatever games are available. But if your only game is a game like Forza, then you pay whatever they ask and get on with it.

Personally, I don't think they did anything wrong with the DLC. When I pre-ordered the Ultimate edition, I knew exactly what I would get: the game, early access, car pass (6 packs of 7 cars each) and the VIP.

I knew that it will be possible for them to add more car packs after the 6, as it happened with Forza Motorsport 6, but I wouldn't expect them to include that too, as they already told me there would be 6 packs in the pass, no more.

JoyPad wrote: »
    This works out when you play whatever games are available. But if your only game is a game like Forza, then you pay whatever they ask and get on with it.

Personally, I don't think they did anything wrong with the DLC. When I pre-ordered the Ultimate edition, I knew exactly what I would get: the game, early access, car pass (6 packs of 7 cars each) and the VIP.

I knew that it will be possible for them to add more car packs after the 6, as it happened with Forza Motorsport 6, but I wouldn't expect them to include that too, as they already told me there would be 6 packs in the pass, no more.

Well yes, if you're only buying one or two games a year, then I'd have no problem paying full price with DLC. As it is, I'm buying more games now than I ever was, and for a little less than I was paying when I was buying on during the first week.

JoyPad wrote: »

You don't think for €89.99 everything should be included?

Edit: Sorry, €99.99

• Registered Users Posts: 357 ✭✭DanC90

breeno wrote:

breeno wrote:
    Appreciate any advice!

Just my opinion but if you were paying <150 for the original model I'd say get that but otherwise get the One S, it's exactly what the original should have been but now there's also a UHD Blu-ray player built in and it supports 4K (Media apps only) HDR+ (In Games) so if you have/buy a 4K tv you'll be able to get the benefits that comes with.

I upgraded from the original to the One S because I wanted all of the above but also I was thinking with the new one coming out next year (Project Scorpio) if it's any good I'll get more money back on trade in/Adverts from the One S and if I don't like the look of the new one then at least I still have a console that has everything I need.
    Again that's just my opinion on it but I think buying the One S kind of future proofs yourself in case Scorpio isnt any good or is overpriced or you just don't care about 4K gaming ðŸ˜. HTH.

I just think €100 for a game is outrageous, especially one that doesn't even include everything. Surely for €100 you should get everything included? You should get everything included for €70 imo but that's another matter. The console is only €300 ffs. It's getting ridiculous. Time to look at a mid range gaming pc methinks. Rant over.:confused:

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭mossym

why? what difference does it make? if you don't want to pay the extra, the release date is the exact same as if there was no early access available. if you don't agree with it, then don't pay it.

i cannot understand why anyone would complain about it unless they have no will power and buy it at the higher price because they just can't stop themselves, then i can see them complaining but i still wouldn't have any sympathy.

can understand the arguements about the price of the game a lot more than i can complaining cause you can pay extra to get it a few days earlier. what's the difference between that and a few years back and the guys that pay for overnight shipping so that they will have it quicker than standard shipping?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,703 ✭✭✭JoyPad

You don't think for €89.99 everything should be included?

Edit: Sorry, €99.99

It has nothing to do with the price. Yes, they are charging outrageous amounts for games, but that's not the issue here.

The point is this: you are told upfront that you pay X amount for A, B, C and D. Why would you expect to also get E, F, etc?

Maybe you've never bought a car, but it goes like this: you pay such and such amount for such and such car. It does not include service, that costs extra. It does not include a boot carpet, that costs extra. If it's not included in the price you pay, then it costs extra.

You're like Nick the Greek in Lock Stock: "What else do I get with it?"

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement