Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Xbox One General Discussion - Part 2 (Please Read 1st Post)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,507 ✭✭✭runawaybishop

Gizmo55 wrote: »
    You don't think for €89.99 everything should be included?

Edit: Sorry, €99.99

Last forza cost like 130 for super deluxe. So did starwars. and doom

• Registered Users Posts: 3,273 ✭✭✭Gizmo55

I'm very surprised people are defending it, but fair enough. What I'm saying is it's a relatively new thing of selling games, and then piling lots of other charges on top, I just prefer how it used to be. Of course I realise I don't have to buy it. I just don't like the way gaming has gone, we're being charged ridiculous money for standard versions, never mind deluxe versions. No wonder the gaming industry is in the state it's in.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,360 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

Talk about crazy prices. To be honest, I support developers and publishers charging what they want for games, the cost of development of a AAA game has continued to spiral upwards, with no real end in sight. Just look at the credits that come after a Call Of Duty game these days, it's literally thousands of people to make one game, all of whom have to be paid, along with shareholders in that company who need to see a profit.

That being said, while I fully support them in their desire to maximise profits, and to be able to charge whatever they want, it doesn't mean I'll actually buy their game at full price.

With the FH3 DLC thing, as long as they make it clear that you're not actually buying everything in one package, then I don't have a problem with it. If they say "Buy Deluxe pack with everything* in it" and then have the small print say half the cars aren't in it, then that's not on.

mossym wrote: »
    why? what difference does it make? if you don't want to pay the extra, the release date is the exact same as if there was no early access available. if you don't agree with it, then don't pay it.

i cannot understand why anyone would complain about it unless they have no will power and buy it at the higher price because they just can't stop themselves, then i can see them complaining but i still wouldn't have any sympathy.

can understand the arguements about the price of the game a lot more than i can complaining cause you can pay extra to get it a few days earlier. what's the difference between that and a few years back and the guys that pay for overnight shipping so that they will have it quicker than standard shipping?

Friends buy certain versions, other friends buy other versions, all to play together, but they get released on different dates so they have to wait and people get pissed off. It's fairly straightforward and games companies are more than aware of this. Cha ching.

CatInABox wrote: »
    Talk about crazy prices. To be honest, I support developers and publishers charging what they want for games, the cost of development of a AAA game has continued to spiral upwards, with no real end in sight. Just look at the credits that come after a Call Of Duty game these days, it's literally thousands of people to make one game, all of whom have to be paid, along with shareholders in that company who need to see a profit.

That being said, while I fully support them in their desire to maximise profits, and to be able to charge whatever they want, it doesn't mean I'll actually buy their game at full price.

With the FH3 DLC thing, as long as they make it clear that you're not actually buying everything in one package, then I don't have a problem with it. If they say "Buy Deluxe pack with everything* in it" and then have the small print say half the cars aren't in it, then that's not on.

Some of the prices are just outrageous. Why on earth people pay them i dont know, but obviously enough do. Looky here like

Call of Duty®: Black Ops III Digital Deluxe
    Price: €99.99

Fallout 4 Digital Deluxe Bundle
    Price: €119.99

DOOM Digital Deluxe
    ( Bethesda Softworks )
    Quantity 1 €109.99

FAR CRY 4 GOLD EDITION

Destiny

Dying Light Ultimate Edition
    Price: €89.99

Digital Pro Edition

Item(s)
    STAR WARSTM BattlefrontTM Ultimate Edition
    Price: €129.99

madness. Starwars was sh1te too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,703 ✭✭✭JoyPad

Some of the prices are just outrageous. Why on earth people pay them i dont know, but obviously enough do.

Prices have nothing to do with how good the game is, or how much it cost to produce, or anything like that. It's set by the market. If people don't buy it, then the price is slashed, etc.

Same thing happens everywhere. Have you seen how much auto insurance costs in Ireland?

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 7,405 Mod ✭✭✭✭pleasant Co.

JoyPad wrote: »
    Have you seen how much auto insurance costs in Ireland?

You mean that thing motor owners are required by law to have? it's not really an example of "the market" setting the price when something is compulsory.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,420 ✭✭✭FAILSAFE 00

I'm very surprised people are defending it, but fair enough. What I'm saying is it's a relatively new thing of selling games, and then piling lots of other charges on top, I just prefer how it used to be. Of course I realise I don't have to buy it. I just don't like the way gaming has gone, we're being charged ridiculous money for standard versions, never mind deluxe versions. No wonder the gaming industry is in the state it's in.
    I agree.

The shift towards this model is happening gradually. It used to be the standard game and then deluxe version [Base game + all DLC] for sale.

The deluxe package for €90-120 would get you the base game and all future DLC in the form of a season pass.

Now we see the standard game, then deluxe [Base game + small DLC] , then a more expensive combo that contains the actual season pass or its sold separately.

Basically a new tier has been added between the standard game and the standard game + season pass.

Prices have nothing to do with how good the game is, or how much it cost to produce, or anything like that. It's set by the market. If people don't buy it, then the price is slashed, etc.

Same thing happens everywhere. Have you seen how much auto insurance costs in Ireland?

Insurance isn't the same.

I am just surprised enough people will fork out 130 yoyo for a game.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭Stone Deaf 4evr

I agree.

The shift towards this model is happening gradually. It used to be the standard game and then deluxe version [Base game + all DLC] for sale.

The deluxe package for €90-120 would get you the base game and all future DLC in the form of a season pass.

Now we see the standard game, then deluxe [Base game + small DLC] , then a more expensive combo that contains the actual season pass or its sold separately.

Basically a new tier has been added between the standard game and the standard game + season pass.

dont forget about microtransactions like req packs, burn cards, coin doublers etc. Black Ops 3 and Destiny are rotten with real money stuff now.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,360 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

You're like Nick the Greek in Lock Stock: "What else do I get with it?"

By the way, that's more than a bit harsh on Gizmo.

Remember everyone, no attacks on posters, even if you think they're funny.

He never once mentioned how good a game was, or how much it costs to produce. I don't understand why you're defending game prices at all. And how on earth is insurance relevant?

CatInABox wrote: »
    By the way, that's more than a bit harsh on Gizmo.

Remember everyone, no attacks on posters, even if you think they're funny.

Absolutely, I'm far better looking :pac:

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭mossym

Friends buy certain versions, other friends buy other versions, all to play together, but they get released on different dates so they have to wait and people get pissed off. It's fairly straightforward and games companies are more than aware of this. Cha ching.

sorry, but cannot see that logic. it's 4 days. if the friends are going to get so pissed off over 4 days they can pay more and get it early. if not, then their friends can wait the 4 days as well. it's a choice

unlike the ultimate versions/dlc comments, which i am in full agreement with

sorry, but that's seriously weak. it's 4 days. if the friends are going to get so pissed off over 4 days they can pay more and get it early. if not, then their friends can wait the 4 days as well. it's a choice

Well they are pissed off so we'll leave it there.

sorry, but that's seriously weak. it's 4 days. if the friends are going to get so pissed off over 4 days they can pay more and get it early. if not, then their friends can wait the 4 days as well. it's a choice

surely in this day and age, there cant be too many people confused by the whole 'what version to buy' thing. I've no problem with season passes, dlc etc in principle, but buying them ahead of time is a bit mad, specially if you only save a fiver.

I'd only buy a deluxe edition now if it was coming in pretty reasonably from an international marketplace.

surely in this day and age, there cant be too many people confused by the whole 'what version to buy' thing. I've no problem with season passes, dlc etc in principle, but buying them ahead of time is a bit mad, specially if you only save a fiver.

I'd only buy a deluxe edition now if it was coming in pretty reasonably from an international marketplace.

I pre-orderd Gears 4 ages ago and didn't realise one version was out on the 7th and the other was out on the 11th. So yep, I was confused :)

First, I want to apologise to Gizmo: I didn't mean that as an attack or anything. I'm sorry!
    Second, I'm not trying to defend the prices. Yes, they are very high. That's the reason I won't buy another new game for myself until at least next year. Since I do see myself playing FH3 for the next year or so, I'm OK with forking €100+ for it.
    Finally, about that comparison with the insurance prices: maybe not a great reference, but it's an example of price being set by the market.

Sorry if this got a bit out of hand. I'm done here.

I pre-orderd Gears 4 ages ago and didn't realise one version was out on the 7th and the other was out on the 11th. So yep, I was confused :)

thats your mistake right there.

I honestly cant remember when last a shop ran out of copies of a game.

the only benefit at all that I can see for preordering a standard version of a game would be to predownload it.

thats your mistake right there.

I honestly cant remember when last a shop ran out of copies of a game.

the only benefit at all that I can see for preordering a standard version of a game would be to predownload it.

It's digital

• Advertisement

First, I want to apologise to Gizmo: I didn't mean that as an attack or anything. I'm sorry!
    Second, I'm not trying to defend the prices. Yes, they are very high. That's the reason I won't buy another new game for myself until at least next year. Since I do see myself playing FH3 for the next year or so, I'm OK with forking €100+ for it.
    Finally, about that comparison with the insurance prices: maybe not a great reference, but it's an example of price being set by the market.

Sorry if this got a bit out of hand. I'm done here.

Not at all. Thanks dude. No hard feelings.

Edit: I apologise too, I was a bit narky, sorry.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,420 ✭✭✭FAILSAFE 00

Not at all. Thanks dude. No hard feelings.

Edit: I apologise too, I was a bit narky, sorry.

• Registered Users Posts: 442 ✭✭gotthebug

If we take the price of games over the last 20 years the price we pay now is not very bad when u see how much everything else has risen in price in that time

• Registered Users Posts: 2,247 ✭✭✭Max Mafioso

I was looking through the prices of games and using the currency converter on xe.com, I know its probably not accurate and the Punt is obsolete at this stage but I like to check out how much games would be if we were still using the Punt.

Most games start off from about €49.99 to €79.99 which would be about £39.40 to £62.99
    I remember paying about £40 for a Snes game back in the day, good times!
    I feel like some of todays games will sell at high prices based on the brand, there is always going to be people who will purchase FIFA, Halo or FH because of the previous games popularity.
    I have a friend who loves Halo so much, he paid about €180 for some Special Edition ultimate set with a statue and whatever else because he "needed to have it" and the store had sold out so he went on to eBay to get it. Didnt care if he was paying double or triple, he needed that.
    The only time I ever purchased something that was Special Edition was Metal Gear Solid on the Playstation and I got an MGS t-shirt, the game, the soundtrack and Dog Tags and it was only about €30ish i think.
    I'm not going to argue with someone who wants to get the Special editions cause of all the cool gadgets but I get tired of listening to them afterwards complaining that they dont have money to go out/buy food/pay rent etc

I used to play EA Sports games around the turn of the millennium. Every year there would be a new Madden, a new NHL, a new FIFA (or two - remember the World Cup editions?) and so on.
    And each time, there'd be a flurry of complains that the games did not improve over the previous year, that you'd be insane to pay full price for basically the same stuff you bought the year before. Every year, there'd be a call for boycotting the release, so that EA Sports would "get the message".

Guess what? Sixteen years later, EA Sports is still charging full price for a new game every year, and those same people are buying it.
    Now, who is insane here?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,727 ✭✭✭amadablam

I used to play EA Sports games around the turn of the millennium. Every year there would be a new Madden, a new NHL, a new FIFA (or two - remember the World Cup editions?) and so on.
    And each time, there'd be a flurry of complains that the games did not improve over the previous year, that you'd be insane to pay full price for basically the same stuff you bought the year before. Every year, there'd be a call for boycotting the release, so that EA Sports would "get the message".

Guess what? Sixteen years later, EA Sports is still charging full price for a new game every year, and those same people are buying it.
    Now, who is insane here?

All the clever ones are buying EA Access :D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,247 ✭✭✭Max Mafioso

I love EA Access and I have it just for those great titles like Battlefield 4 but a lot of people dont want to wait 9 or so months for the newest FIFA to be free, me I dont mind, I have plenty of games to keep me going :D

VLC app is out , bit buggy though. you can copy stuff over allegedly haven't tried that yet.

VLC app is out , bit buggy though. you can copy stuff over allegedly haven't tried that yet.

Wouldn't be VLC without a load of bugs, to be honest.

• Advertisement

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement