Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Xbox One General Discussion - Part 2 (Please Read 1st Post)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,799 ✭✭✭MiskyBoyy

CatInABox wrote: »
    Battlefield: Bad Company 2 or Battlefield 3? How do these games get sequels?

https://twitter.com/majornelson/status/818865388465377287

All joking aside, Bad Company 2 is the best Battlefield game, hands down.

My ****ing babies!!! Daddy's Home! :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,393 ✭✭✭Fingleberries

CatInABox wrote: »
    All joking aside, Bad Company 2 is the best Battlefield game, hands down.

Delighted, BC2 was a GWG game back in 2014 and almost got me to pick up a second hand 360 just to play it. Although there's a lot of pressure on it with all the good things that have been said about.

Delighted it's in Back Compat now.

One more game to the backlog.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,202 ✭✭✭maximoose

Have always wanted to play that Ghostbusters game :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 642 ✭✭✭qrx

Is this normal? Bought a game in gamestop, I handed over the empty box that I picked off the shelf. The girl took a game out of storage, took the disc out of the box and showed it to me. I said "eh, this is a brand new game". She said "yeah yeah, it's brand new". She then put it in the box I had handed her. I'm used to getting games wrapped in cellophane. Only dawned on me when I got home, think she might have sold me a 2nd hand as a brand new. Or is this just normal in there?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭mossym

qrx wrote: »
    Is this normal? Bought a game in gamestop, I handed over the empty box that I picked off the shelf. The girl took a game out of storage, took the disc out of the box and showed it to me. I said "eh, this is a brand new game". She said "yeah yeah, it's brand new". She then put it in the box I had handed her. I'm used to getting games wrapped in cellophane. Only dawned on me when I got home, think she might have sold me a 2nd hand as a brand new. Or is this just normal in there?

totally normal, always been the case when i've bought in a games B&M store

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,206 ✭✭✭Spudman_20000

Anytime I've ever bought a new game in Gamestop, its been in a new box i.e. wrapped in plastic etc.

Was the game you bought a recent release or an older game? Either way, I find it hard to believe Gamestop remove new games from their original packaging and sell the games this way.

Your experience here sounds odd to me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,095 ✭✭✭✭omb0wyn5ehpij9

Anytime I've ever bought a new game in Gamestop, its been in a new box i.e. wrapped in plastic etc.

Was the game you bought a recent release or an older game? Either way, I find it hard to believe Gamestop remove new games from their original packaging and sell the games this way.

Your experience here sounds odd to me.

It's normal. They don't use security tags on their boxes so the game has to come out of the box, otherwise the box on display will have a game in it.

In relation to getting a game wrapped in plastic from them, this also happens as they don't put all stock on the shelf. For example, if they get 100 copies of a new game, they put 10-15 copies out on display (without the discs). When you bring this empty box to the til, they give you one of the 80 other copies still wrapped in plastic, and put the empty box back on the shelf. Once all 80 wrapped copies are sold, they will then put the disc in the box for the remaining 15 copies when people buy them

• Registered Users Posts: 2,519 ✭✭✭dor83

Worked in Xtravision while I was in college and they never got display boxes so had to take a few discs out of the boxes so they wouldn't be robbed, we'd give out the sealed ones first but eventually you run out and have to give the display ones but they had never been used.

Any Gamestop I've been in, they'll have an empty case on the shelf, you bring it to the counter, and they open a drawer and give you a new, sealed game. Maybe it differs from store to store, but if I was buying a new game, I'd be insisting on a sealed copy.

it's not a new thing, record stores, when they existed, used to do the same thing.

• Advertisement

mossym wrote: »
    it's not a new thing, record stores, when they existed, used to do the same thing.

5 years working in one and I can confirm this is correct!

It was not a new release. Quantum Break.

OK thanks, seems it might be legit so. Still think it's strange though. It wasn't the last box on the shelf, there was a small pile of them. Why not just leave one empty box on the shelf and leave all the others untouched in the plastic? Anyways, disc looks good condition.

It was not a new release. Quantum Break.

OK thanks, seems it might be legit so. Still think it's strange though. It wasn't the last box on the shelf, there was a small pile of them. Why not just leave one empty box on the shelf and leave all the others untouched in the plastic? Anyways, disc looks good condition.

More boxes on the shelf = more chance that somebody will spot it and buy.

On top of that, they may not have the space behind the counter to keep a huge number of boxed games

Why not just leave one empty box on the shelf and leave all the others untouched in the plastic? .

one reason is little scumbags will run in, grab it, and leg out the door. security tags won't stop that.

small portable things of interest to kids/teenagers tend to go missing :)

Sounds legit I suppose, but its ripe for abuse too. A lot of games come with DLC and Xbox Live cards. If you're purchasing an unsealed game in this way, you could be missing out on those.

Also, what's stopping Gamestop selling game discs as "new", when in fact they may have been trade ins?

Sounds legit I suppose, but its ripe for abuse too. A lot of games come with DLC and Xbox Live cards. If you're purchasing an unsealed game in this way, you could be missing out on those.

Also, what's stopping Gamestop selling game discs as "new", when in fact they may have been trade ins?

What's with all the conspiracies? It is standard practice in record/video game/video rental shops. They aren't trying to screw the customer over at all, they are just ensuring their stock isn't robbed!

BDJW wrote: »
    What's with all the conspiracies? It is standard practice in record/video game/video rental shops. They aren't trying to screw the customer over at all, they are just ensuring their stock isn't robbed!

aye, it's a B&M shop, if you don't get something you were supposed to, you'll be back looking for it. and if they get a reputation for not giving what they are supposed to, then they are in big trouble

• Registered Users Posts: 11,988 ✭✭✭✭GBX

True ... but like any business they will look at ways of maximising margins. If this is their bread winner they ain't going to stop doing it this way.

Do they sell DLC in their shops?

Good point. and actually the game comes with Alan Wake and 2 other DLC packs. I'll have to check that's all there, I assume there should a code in the box or would I automatically get it once installing?

Again, that hasn't been my experience with games in Gamestop. Any new game I've ever purchased has been in a sealed box. Only second hand games have been sold to me unsealed.

• Advertisement

Again, that hasn't been my experience with games in Gamestop. Any new game I've ever purchased has been in a sealed box. Only second hand games have been sold to me unsealed.

Yet you are being told by a few posters that it is standard practice and instead decide not to believe us!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,402 ✭✭✭Tinie

Good point. and actually the game comes with Alan Wake and 2 other DLC packs. I'll have to check that's all there, I assume there should a code in the box or would I automatically get it once installing?
    Of course you did.

I've never heard of or had it happen to me where dlc is missing. They're not screwing customers over.

And why are some people making a fuss over something that has been going on for 10+ years in Gamestop?

It's such a trivial thing to get worked up over also. You didn't guy a car. It's a disc in a plastic box. Relax.

Yet you are being told by a few posters that it is standard practice and instead decide not to believe us!

I do believe you, but stating that it is "standard practice" would imply that this is what happens always, when in fact what I've experienced is the opposite.

I can see where it would be standard practice for new games that have been released a while, or where space in a store is at a premium, but calling it "standard practice" is a bit of a misnomer in my opinion.

Tinie wrote: »
    Of course you did.

I've never heard of or had it happen to me where dlc is missing. They're not screwing customers over.

And why are some people making a fuss over something that has been going on for 10+ years in Gamestop?

It's such a trivial thing to get worked up over also. You didn't guy a car. It's a disc in a plastic box. Relax.
    I came on asking as it is the first time it has ever happened to me that I can remember and it seemed odd to me. If it's normal then ok, I can't remember the last time I bought in gamestop but I can tell you it's not normal in other stores in my experience a new game is always brand new in its wrapping and even within that wrapping there is a tamper proof seal on the box itself. This is what I call normal practice definitely with Smyths and Argos anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭Stone Deaf 4evr

I do believe you, but stating that it is "standard practice" would imply that this is what happens always, when in fact what I've experienced is the opposite.

I can see where it would be standard practice for new games that have been released a while, or where space in a store is at a premium, but calling it "standard practice" is a bit of a misnomer in my opinion.

but it is standard practice.

a game is released and the shop gets in say, 20 copies, for display purposes, 5 of these are opened, and the contents of each box put into a little envelope and kept in a drawer behind the counter.

punter comes in and picks the box off the shelf and takes it to the counter, staff goes into the back for a sealed copy, then the empty box is returned to the display area. this happpens until all sealed copies are sold, then the last of the display boxes are filled from the envelopes as and when people pick them up.
    Its also more likely to happen with games that have been out a while or are on sale, as they're naturally trying to shift the last few units.

what do you think happens with cars in showrooms? that they're a hollow shell with no engine?

but it is standard practice.

a game is released and the shop gets in say, 20 copies, for display purposes, 5 of these are opened, and the contents of each box put into a little envelope and kept in a drawer behind the counter.

punter comes in and picks the box off the shelf and takes it to the counter, staff goes into the back for a sealed copy, then the empty box is returned to the display area. this happpens until all sealed copies are sold, then the last of the display boxes are filled from the envelopes as and when people pick them up.
    Its also more likely to happen with games that have been out a while or are on sale, as they're naturally trying to shift the last few units.

what do you think happens with cars in showrooms? that they're a hollow shell with no engine?
    I'm just surprised I've never come across it before. I've been gaming a looong time. And games do come with a seal on the box to show the box hasn't been tampered with, which suggests that they really shouldn't be taking them out of the boxes and selling them as new.

OK besides all that, end of discussion, I'm happy it's legit practice.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,402 ✭✭✭Tinie

I'm just surprised I've never come across it before. I've been gaming a looong time. And games do come with a seal on the box to show the box hasn't been tampered with, which suggests that they really shouldn't be taking them out of the boxes and selling them as new.

OK besides all that, end of discussion, I'm happy it's legit practice.
    Not true really.

Only Xbox do this, have a "tamper proof" seal gimmick. Sony and Nintendo don't.

Tinie wrote: »
    Not true really.

Only Xbox do this, have a "tamper proof" seal gimmick. Sony and Nintendo don't.

Yes, it was an xbox game...and in an xbox thread :D

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,360 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

Now that that's settled, let's move on to more important news!

Battlefield 3, Bad Company 2, and Dragon Age: Origins are coming to the vault! Deadly. Sucks if you've spent the couple of euro buying it in gamestop though....
    how I totally misread something! Yeah! I'm just super.

https://twitter.com/electronicarts/status/819143616685809664

Makes me wonder more and more about skate 3. Why isn't it in the vault? Is it the only one that hasn't gone in yet?

Yes, I'm leaving this here to show everyone how great I am at reading.

Sigh.

• Advertisement

sorry, I know I said end of discussion, but someone in work pointed me to the GameStop returns policy. They state that they:
      [*]reserve the right to limit returns to unopened or defective products
      We do not accept returns of: Any product(s) that has been opened (taken out of its plastic wrap).

So I think my suspicions were right, I should not have been sold a game in this way and really I should have refused to accept it. Chalk it up to experience. Fingers crossed all is intact, hadn't planned on playing the game for a while but I'll have to fire it up now.

This discussion has been closed.
    Advertisement