Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Xbox One General Discussion - Part 2 (Please Read 1st Post)

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,360 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

qrx wrote: »
    sorry, I know I said end of discussion, but someone in work pointed me to the GameStop returns policy. They state that they:
      [*]reserve the right to limit returns to unopened or defective products
      We do not accept returns of: Any product(s) that has been opened (taken out of its plastic wrap).

So I think my suspicions were right, I should not have been sold a game in this way and really I should have refused to accept it. Chalk it down to experience. Fingers crossed all is intact, hadn't planned on playing the game for a while but I'll have to fire it up now.

Usually, once they take it out of the box, they wrap it in cellophane. You can return it in that "unopened". You can of course refuse to accept it, but they'll most likely just send you to a different shop. I'm actually kinda astonished that you haven't come across this before, to be honest, it's been that way for more than a decade in my experience, albeit I haven't bought a game in a B&M for about 4 years now.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,202 ✭✭✭maximoose

CatInABox wrote: »
      Now that that's settled, let's move on to more important news!

Battlefield 3, Bad Company 2, and Dragon Age: Origins are coming to the vault! Deadly. Sucks if you've spent the couple of euro buying it in gamestop though....:pac:

https://twitter.com/electronicarts/status/819143616685809664

Makes me wonder more and more about skate 3. Why isn't it in the vault? Is it the only one that hasn't gone in yet?

Are you sure they are coming to the vault? Haven't seen that confirmed anywhere or am I missing something in that tweet, just mentions BC

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,360 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

maximoose wrote: »
      Are you sure they are coming to the vault? Haven't seen that confirmed anywhere or am I missing something in that tweet, just mentions BC

God damn it.

The EA UK twitter looks too close to the EA Access one. Sorry everyone!!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 642 ✭✭✭qrx

Usually, once they take it out of the box, they wrap it in cellophane. You can return it in that "unopened". You can of course refuse to accept it, but they'll most likely just send you to a different shop. I'm actually kinda astonished that you haven't come across this before, to be honest, it's been that way for more than a decade in my experience, albeit I haven't bought a game in a B&M for about 4 years now.

Well look at it this way, if I was to sell it back to them as unopened and still in it's box what do you think they would say?

Things like this only become an issue when there is a problem, like I have to go back to them and try get my money back and have to argue with them that I haven't even taken it out of the box. Hence the whole point of the plastic and seal, to protect the consumer and also the store I guess as they can confidently put it back on the shelf.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,247 ✭✭✭Max Mafioso

Is this normal? Bought a game in gamestop, I handed over the empty box that I picked off the shelf. The girl took a game out of storage, took the disc out of the box and showed it to me. I said "eh, this is a brand new game". She said "yeah yeah, it's brand new". She then put it in the box I had handed her. I'm used to getting games wrapped in cellophane. Only dawned on me when I got home, think she might have sold me a 2nd hand as a brand new. Or is this just normal in there?

I have not ready any of the replies yet but I wanted to reply as I used to work for GS many moons ago

A lot of new/bigger titles when they come in are kept in their cellophane and handed over when someone is buying the game however after a while, they will be opened and put into separate plastic envelopes and filed away in the drawers with a number associated with that particular game. I think they may have changed it to alphabethical now.
      So you will get a new game but you will probably get the opened box unless they still store some in their original wrapper.

The issue I have had with this in the past, when purchasing a game myself, is that if there was a DLC code with the game, it might get lost and I dont mean lost as in someone probably took it but actually lost as it can easily fall out at times

• Advertisement
    • Registered Users Posts: 11,973 ✭✭✭✭Jordan 199

maximoose wrote: »
      Have always wanted to play that Ghostbusters game :)

If there's something strange in your neighbourhood,
      Who you gonna call?

Jordan 199 wrote: »
      Who you gonna call?

Joe Duffy :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,247 ✭✭✭Max Mafioso

Who you gonna call?
      Joe Duffy :confused:

Adrian Kennedy?

Who you gonna call?

I aint afraid of no goats!

2a4868b5180b4d917568616439158a29.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 5,328 ✭✭✭dunworth1

sorry, I know I said end of discussion, but someone in work pointed me to the GameStop returns policy. They state that they:
      • reserve the right to limit returns to unopened or defective products
        We do not accept returns of: Any product(s) that has been opened (taken out of its plastic wrap).

So I think my suspicions were right, I should not have been sold a game in this way and really I should have refused to accept it. Chalk it up to experience. Fingers crossed all is intact, hadn't planned on playing the game for a while but I'll have to fire it up now.

I've always wondered this actually.

anytime I bought a game from GS that was not sealed the shop assistant took the game out of the sleeve and placed it into the holder in the box.
      i would assume that if i went home and didn't play the game but decided i needed the money so i return the game or there's any issue with reading the disc

i would assume that when I bring it back to the shop I would have an issue
      as the box is opened as what's to stop someone from buying the game playing through it and then returning it.

i remember when Game was still around they used to have the games inside sleeves also but when you bought the game the store assistant out the game in the box and then placed a game security seal on the box.

• Advertisement

MEGA MAN 9, 10 and Beat'n Groovy are going BC today.

https://twitter.com/majornelson/status/819589807454220288

The BC guys are having a really strong start to the year.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭Stone Deaf 4evr

MEGA MAN 9, 10 and Beat'n Groovy are going BC today.

The BC guys are having a really strong start to the year.

Yeah, It seems like they're after hitting their stride with the emulation or something, last year we were lucky to get a few games a month, they're coming daily now.

The only problem is its adding games back into the backlog:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 174 ✭✭CiaranTheGreat

Has anyone's download speeds gone wildly erratic since the last update? Go from 150-30 up and down al,it's cyclical or is it just me. Very frustrating!?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,498 ✭✭✭ECO_Mental

Has anyone's download speeds gone wildly erratic since the last update? Go from 150-30 up and down al,it's cyclical or is it just me. Very frustrating!?

I was afraid to say this because as this is a real 1st world problem, but I have 1 Gb/s FTTH and for the last couple of months my network test in settings has gone from 600-700 Mb/s to mostly now 100-200 but I have seen single digits :confused: I havent seen the glory days of the 700s in months.

But I put it down to testing to Seattle and the congestion testing to there as when I do speedtest.net on my laptop everything is ok. Also when downloading a games from different servers (I presume) i get solid steady download speeds in the 200s, even when I was getting good network tests I would get these speeds. So I gave up worrying about it and put it down to the distance to Seattle.

6.1kWp south facing, South of Cork City

ECO_Mental wrote: »
      I was afraid to say this because as this is a real 1st world problem, but I have 1 Gb/s FTTH and for the last couple of months my network test in settings has gone from 600-700 Mb/s to mostly now 100-200 but I have seen single digits :confused: I havent seen the glory days of the 700s in months.

But I put it down to testing to Seattle and the congestion testing to there as when I do speedtest.net on my laptop everything is ok. Also when downloading a games from different servers (I presume) i get solid steady download speeds in the 200s, even when I was getting good network tests I would get these speeds. So I gave up worrying about it and put it down to the distance to Seattle.

Ping on network test on the xbox should be around 150ms, html5 speed test can be done on speedof.me with the edge app. That should give a more accurate idea of possible speed vs what ms are churning out.

Picked up both BFs today.

Wowwww... time hasn't been good to BC2, not sure I could play it tbh.

Flying was awful, controls would take a lot of adjustment.

Tanks don't seem to have a zoom.

General graphics are far worse than memory. I'll probably ship it off again as I have spare BF3 to sell to CEX at these higher prices.

BF3 holds up far better.
      It's a bit of a drag seeing as my original play was 64 on PC, but I didn't put much time into it before selling the PC so I had some hours left in it, just.a shame its not a higher player count on the bigger maps.

Be interested to hear how others feel going back to BC2....I didn't think it would feel as much of a let down in the present era.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

General graphics are far worse than memory. I'll probably ship it off again as I have spare BF3 to sell to CEX at these higher prices.

BF3 holds up far better.
      It's a bit of a drag seeing as my original play was 64 on PC, but I didn't put much time into it before selling the PC so I had some hours left in it, just.a shame its not a higher player count on the bigger maps.

Be interested to hear how others feel going back to BC2....I didn't think it would feel as much of a let down in the present era.

I'm pretty sure I had Bad Company on the original Xbox way back.

BF3 holds up far better.

I've played maybe 10 hours of Bad Company 2 this week. Can't say I had a bad time playing. Only problem I have are snipers , there is little to no bullet drop off that I can tell making it far too easy for them. I don;t play these kind of multiplayer games that often so for me to have put 10 hours in must mean something :D

I'd no issue with the graphics myself , I wasn't expecting it to look any better or worse that what it does really.

I've played maybe 10 hours of Bad Company 2 this week. Can't say I had a bad time playing. Only problem I have are snipers , there is little to no bullet drop off that I can tell making it far too easy for them. I don;t play these kind of multiplayer games that often so for me to have put 10 hours in must mean something :D

I'd no issue with the graphics myself , I wasn't expecting it to look any better or worse that what it does really.

I'm by no means a graphics snob, you often see FPS talk on these forums, but I also can't play anything that's really rough looking by today's standards.

Like I replayed Fallout 3 this month but BC2 just seemed hugely dated in comparion to that which wasn't top notch in its day.

Don't get me wrong I loved the game at the time but I just felt after one round yesterday that I'd rather play 3 and 1.

Maybe having no BF helps but its a lot of adjusting when playing newer ones simultaneously.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,461 ✭✭✭ibFoxer

Yeah, It seems like they're after hitting their stride with the emulation or something, last year we were lucky to get a few games a month, they're coming daily now.

The only problem is its adding games back into the backlog:rolleyes:

Not enough time eh?

• Advertisement

I'm by no means a graphics snob, you often see FPS talk on these forums, but I also can't play anything that's really rough looking by today's standards.

Like I replayed Fallout 3 this month but BC2 just seemed hugely dated in comparion to that which wasn't top notch in its day.

Don't get me wrong I loved the game at the time but I just felt after one round yesterday that I'd rather play 3 and 1.

Maybe having no BF helps but its a lot of adjusting when playing newer ones simultaneously.

Yeah I think it hold up ok for a what 7 year old game?

Not sure how to embed this ... anyone?

http://xboxdvr.com/gamer/Calex%20dEUS/video/25661343

We won this and I finished 17/10 K/D which is shocking for someone like me :D

This guy should have seen me coming or at the very least noticed I was capping the objective.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

Yeah I think it hold up ok for a what 7 year old game?

Not sure how to embed this ... anyone?

http://xboxdvr.com/gamer/Calex%20dEUS/video/25661343

We won this and I finished 17/10 K/D which is shocking for someone like me :D

This guy should have seen me coming or at the very least noticed I was capping the objective.

Just watched your clip and I do not see anything wrong with those graphics. I don't know what that other guy was on about it is an old game a swell but looks fine to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭Stone Deaf 4evr

Just watched your clip and I do not see anything wrong with those graphics. I don't know what that other guy was on about it is an old game a swell but looks fine to me.

Was just going to post the same thing.looks like it's running pretty smoothly too.

Was just going to post the same thing.looks like it's running pretty smoothly too.

Solid as in terms of fps , only time if noticed drops is when i capture a video.

Game play wise, it seems very fair and balanced vs some of the stuff I've played in recent years which like I said earlier I usually avoid competitive multiplayer but battlefield titles I always enjoy for a while, this actually more than Battlefield 1 in terms of game play but not maps. There are also some striking similarities to the map I took the video on and one from BF1 in the desert.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,103 ✭✭✭trixiebust

The controller I got with a console, in October has broke. The left thumbstick is gone. Any one know, do I have to return the console too ?

Will they just swap a single controller ?

trixiebust wrote: »
      The controller I got with a console, in October has broke. The left thumbstick is gone. Any one know, do I have to return the console too ?

Take it back to the shop, they won't want to take the console too.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,273 ✭✭✭Gizmo55

Got mine in Smyths and the controller broke, they replaced the controller no problem, no need for the whole console.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,571 ✭✭✭TheGunns

Pray it's not GameStop. They wouldn't take mine. Microsoft sort it out for free anyways tho if you do have hassle.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,960 ✭✭✭Liamalone

Buy another controller from a local retailer that will replace them without any quibble, if you've broken one controller you'll break more as they aren't as good as the 360 controllers imo.

• Advertisement
    • Registered Users Posts: 850 ✭✭✭erkifino

Liamalone wrote: »
      Buy another controller from a local retailer that will replace them without any quibble, if you've broken one controller you'll break more as they aren't as good as the 360 controllers imo.

The 360 controllers are like old Nokia phones. They can take a beating. The new controllers, while sleeker, are a disappointing build.

This discussion has been closed.
    Advertisement