Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Xbox One General Discussion - Part 2 (Please Read 1st Post)

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,360 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

Hitman: Absolution is going BC today, as is the Sniper Challenge thingy that came before.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,360 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

https://twitter.com/xboxuk/status/831927432953360384

So, June 11th is where we'll learn all about the Scorpio. Looking forward to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,119 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

CatInABox wrote: »
    https://twitter.com/xboxuk/status/831927432953360384

So, June 11th is where we'll learn all about the Scorpio. Looking forward to it.

We're getting plenty of notice anyway.

emmetkenny wrote: »
    We're getting plenty of notice anyway.

Ah, I think the announcement is more for the press guys anyway, it's three days before the start of E3, so all the press guys just got a few days added on to their trip.

Ah, I think the announcement is more for the press guys anyway, it's three days before the start of E3, so all the press guys just got a few days added on to their trip.

I was going to buy one at launch but I think now I'll hang on for an offer in Argos.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,973 ✭✭✭✭Jordan 199

It will be interesting to find out what Scorpio will cost.

Jordan 199 wrote: »
    It will be interesting to find out what Scorpio will cost.

€499 I'd say. Maybe €50 either way though.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭Stone Deaf 4evr

€499 I'd say. Maybe €50 either way though.

if its 450 or under, i'll most likely be there on day one. otherwise, as you say, argos in january might be the way to go.

• Registered Users Posts: 981 ✭✭✭wexdevil

Thats what I'm expecting pricewise, I've been putting away money every now and then for it.

if its 450 or under, i'll most likely be there on day one. otherwise, as you say, argos in january might be the way to go.

How much was the PSPro, €450? I really don't see Scorpio being the same price and it being a vastly superior console (based on rumoured specs.) €50 more than the Pro would be my guess.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,498 ✭✭✭ECO_Mental

Santa will be getting it for me :) that's the one advantage of having kids Santa's starts coming to your house again and you can get whatever toy you want...

6.1kWp south facing, South of Cork City

• Closed Accounts Posts: 642 ✭✭✭qrx

It needs to be the same price as the Ps pro. Remember why the ps4 was so quick off the mark? Same price, superior hardware. Scorpio needs the same.

qrx wrote: »
    It needs to be the same price as the Ps pro. Remember why the ps4 was so quick off the mark? Same price, superior hardware. Scorpio needs the same.

I don't think it needs to be the same price. €50 more expensive but not much more than that.

The PS4 was so quick off the mark because it was a gaming machine first and foremost. Xbox tried to sell a Home Entertainment device with always online connectivity.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,678 ✭✭✭TrustedApple

I don't think it needs to be the same price. €50 more expensive but not much more than that.

The PS4 was so quick off the mark because it was a gaming machine first and foremost. Xbox tried to sell a Home Entertainment device with always online connectivity.

Dont forgot the Kinect ...... You had to buy one of them if you wonted a Xbox one day one.

Dont forgot the Kinect ...... You had to buy one of them if you wonted a Xbox one day one.

I don't mind the Kinnect. I use mine everyday to sign in, record clips, pause TV etc. It's very handy for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 190 ✭✭Ould Mr Brennan

Hoping for a few new games to be announced along with Scorpio. And for the love of god please explain what the hell sea of thieves is instead of these stupid trailers they keep showing.

Hoping for a few new games to be announced along with Scorpio. And for the love of god please explain what the hell sea of thieves is instead of these stupid trailers they keep showing.

I'm not suggesting it's going to be a rubbish game, but I've learnt the hard way to wait it out until the hype has died down before deciding on a game. Vague trailers and review embargos are the norm these days. And as the old Texas saying goes, Fool me once - you can't get fooled again.

• Registered Users Posts: 714 ✭✭✭feelgoodinc27

qrx wrote: »

Wasn't the PS4 €100 cheaper at launch? More than anything I think price shafted them at launch, like Sony trying to sell the PS3 for €599. Besides price Microsoft really need more exclusives to sell the Scorpio.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,247 ✭✭✭Max Mafioso

I just got added to the Sea of Thieves closed Beta which is for Saturday between 7pm and 10pm
    Looking forward to trying it and seeing what its like

• Registered Users Posts: 11,973 ✭✭✭✭Jordan 199

Wasn't the PS4 €100 cheaper at launch? More than anything I think price shafted them at launch, like Sony trying to sell the PS3 for €599. Besides price Microsoft really need more exclusives to sell the Scorpio.

It was.

With Phil Spencer running the Xbox division at Microsoft, I think Scorpio will be an awesome console.

• Advertisement

Jordan 199 wrote: »
    It was.

With Phil Spencer running the Xbox division at Microsoft, I think Scorpio will be an awesome console.

Yeah, with Spencer in charge, the worst that will happen is that it may be expensive. There'll be no confused messaging about DRM, or Tv, or any of that lark. Just look at the last few E3s since he's been in charge, everyone of them designed to give more good stuff to gamers.

• Registered Users Posts: 190 ✭✭Ould Mr Brennan

I just got added to the Sea of Thieves closed Beta which is for Saturday between 7pm and 10pm
    Looking forward to trying it and seeing what its like

Please report back if you can Max. Thanks

Yeah, with Spencer in charge, the worst that will happen is that it may be expensive. There'll be no confused messaging about DRM, or Tv, or any of that lark. Just look at the last few E3s since he's been in charge, everyone of them designed to give more good stuff to gamers.

The dream presentation for me would be a price point on par with PS4 pro, Announcements of new titles that take advantage of the horsepower
    and then a bullet point list of how it'll benefit current games, i.e. games that will now run at 60fps, games that'll run at a higher resolution, etc etc.

in fairness to the ps4 pro, that boost mode feature is impressive.

I'm hoping they have an ace up their sleeve. It's basically a pc, I wonder will the Xbox brand become an app or vm environment within windows allowing you to use your own pc if you have one powerful enough. Having the Scorpio as an "Xbox approved" but fully fledged pc.

Unless we're going to start seeing all games run at 60 fps 1080p I can't see myself buying one at launch. Just not worth it. Also don't all games on it have to run on xbox one too :confused: So if thats the case no scorpio exclusives at least fro a while until they decide one support is holding games back.

Unless we're going to start seeing all games run at 60 fps 1080p I can't see myself buying one at launch. Just not worth it. Also don't all games on it have to run on xbox one too :confused: So if thats the case no scorpio exclusives at least fro a while until they decide one support is holding games back.
    Spencer said its up to developers if they want to do Scorpio exclusives. Makes sense if you think about it Microsoft does not have the authority to stop them.

As for 1080p 60fps, we might see older games and launch titles run at that but wouldn't the extra power be used up as games get more detailed? I think resolution and fps is an ongoing problem, same as pc as your spec gets outdated you can only play newer games at lower settings.

Unfortunately, the situation on the Scorpio is going to be more complicated than on the PS4 Pro.

Almost every game has a hard coded resolution, meaning that if Microsoft have some kind of boost mode, it'll only work on the FPS, and not on the resolution. We'll have smoother gameplay, but the resolution will still be less than 1080p, whereas this isn't as big an issue on the PS4 Pro, as most games are 1080p(or closer to it anyway).

Games will have to have an official patch for any change to their resolution. There are, of course, games that use dynamic resolution, and those games will get an instant boost from being on the Scorpio. So Halo 5 will almost certainly go 1080p/60 the second you load it on Xbox One, while Forza Horizon 3 will be 4K, what with it being a UWP game. Everything that doesn't fall into those two brackets will require a patch.

I'll be watching the E3 announcement with great interest on this point actually, if Microsoft can come up with some software way of boosting the resolution of games without requiring a patch, then I'll take my hat off to them.

Unfortunately, the situation on the Scorpio is going to be more complicated than on the PS4 Pro.

Almost every game has a hard coded resolution, meaning that if Microsoft have some kind of boost mode, it'll only work on the FPS, and not on the resolution. We'll have smoother gameplay, but the resolution will still be less than 1080p, whereas this isn't as big an issue on the PS4 Pro, as most games are 1080p(or closer to it anyway).

Games will have to have an official patch for any change to their resolution. There are, of course, games that use dynamic resolution, and those games will get an instant boost from being on the Scorpio. So Halo 5 will almost certainly go 1080p/60 the second you load it on Xbox One, while Forza Horizon 3 will be 4K, what with it being a UWP game. Everything that doesn't fall into those two brackets will require a patch.

I'll be watching the E3 announcement with great interest on this point actually, if Microsoft can come up with some software way of boosting the resolution of games without requiring a patch, then I'll take my hat off to them.

Their success with backwards compatibility has shown that at the very least, they're willing to commit resources to getting the most out of the system. The fact that they've managed to get an emulator, to run games coded for a different platform, running at performance levels better than the original console, is something they don't get half enough credit for.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,799 ✭✭✭MiskyBoyy

All this talk of Scorpio and e3 is getting me very ****ing excited. Nothing beats a new Xbox launch for that boy at Christmas feeling!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,058 ✭✭✭shuffles03

Just turned on my Xbox for the first time since December. Has there been an OS update since? I checked but I wasn't prompted.

It says the Xbox was last updated December 16. Does that sound right?

My OS IS: 10.0.14393.2152

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement