Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Xbox One General Discussion - Part 2 (Please Read 1st Post)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,058 ✭✭✭shuffles03

Just turned on my Xbox for the first time since December. Has there been an OS update since? I checked but I wasn't prompted.

It says the Xbox was last updated December 16. Does that sound right?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,799 ✭✭✭MiskyBoyy

shuffles03 wrote:

Yeah the last public update was December. There's preview updates right now but the next big public one will be March again.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

Damn missed out on Killer Instinct Season 2 when it was games with gold. Totally forgot to get it. Logged into Xbox One for the first time in about 5 or 6 days and seen that it was taken down.

Their success with backwards compatibility has shown that at the very least, they're willing to commit resources to getting the most out of the system. The fact that they've managed to get an emulator, to run games coded for a different platform, running at performance levels better than the original console, is something they don't get half enough credit for.

You look at how far virtualisation technology and hardware has come in the last 10 years it's no surprise. It's just more telling that Sony don't want to make use of it. If they wanted I'm sure they could run ps2/3 games on ps4, they can do it through an over priced glorified rental service so why not on the console with an emulator? Theres an emulator running on the server they ain't streaming from a networked ps2 thats for sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,058 ✭✭✭shuffles03

Has anyone revisited GTA IV? What are your thoughts? Im afraid of wrecking my memory of it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,801 ✭✭✭iamtony

shuffles03 wrote: »
    Just turned on my Xbox for the first time since December. Has there been an OS update since? I checked but I wasn't prompted.

I done the exact same thing and am raging because of it.:-( its OK we will get through this together.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,801 ✭✭✭iamtony

Damn missed out on Killer Instinct Season 2 when it was games with gold. Totally forgot to get it. Logged into Xbox One for the first time in about 5 or 6 days and seen that it was taken down.
    I was supposed to quote this in the message above oops!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,973 ✭✭✭✭Jordan 199

Has anyone revisited GTA IV? What are your thoughts? Im afraid of wrecking my memory of it

The last time I played GTA IV I got smashed with Packie. I can't see myself replaying it again though.

I love playing The Lost and Damned.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,420 ✭✭✭FAILSAFE 00

Unless we're going to start seeing all games run at 60 fps 1080p I can't see myself buying one at launch. Just not worth it. Also don't all games on it have to run on xbox one too :confused: So if thats the case no scorpio exclusives at least fro a while until they decide one support is holding games back.

Many people think it will hold the Scorpio back. It won't. Look at the PC platform. Game devs design games to run on a wide spectrum of PC rigs from low to very high spec PC. Games are not going to advance that much. I am simply expecting better performance.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,247 ✭✭✭Max Mafioso

Please report back if you can Max. Thanks

Not much I can say about it, nda and what not but it was a fun experience, I look forward to the next Alpha for it

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 642 ✭✭✭qrx

Many people think it will hold the Scorpio back. It won't. Look at the PC platform. Game devs design games to run on a wide spectrum of PC rigs from low to very high spec PC. Games are not going to advance that much. I am simply expecting better performance.

It really isn't that much extra work for them. As you say they already develop games to have a dynamic configuration. Scorpio is a PC at heart and running Windows 10 (and if rumours are to believed it will be full windows 10 and not a variation of it). So all developers need to do in theory is set a flag that brings all configuration settings down to meet the Scorpio requirement. Even better would be that they don't even need to do this, all that is required is that the game is built dynamically, meaning all settings can be adjusted, and the Scorpio will automatically set the game to play at the right settings.

This of course introduces a new problem ,where PC and Scorpio games can be easily developed in tandem, leaving the xbox one as a nuisance platform.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,654 ✭✭✭AllGunsBlazing

Jumped into it last week for the first time ever. The biggest gripe would be that the vehicle controls are clumsy in comparison to V. No sense of weight at all and handling is generally poor. Also, the missions get repetitive very quickly. I'm sure it was great for its time but it really isn't a patch on GTA V or RDR which were both a huge leap in terms of mechanics and storytelling.

That being said, the sheer scope of Liberty City is very impressive.

• Administrators Posts: 53,846 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Jumped into it last week for the first time ever. The biggest gripe would be that the vehicle controls are clumsy in comparison to V. No sense of weight at all and handling is generally poor. Also, the missions get repetitive very quickly. I'm sure it was great for its time but it really isn't a patch on GTA V or RDR which were both a huge leap in terms of mechanics and storytelling.

That being said, the sheer scope of Liberty City is very impressive.

It wasn't really, the reception was way more negative than usual for GTA games. Probably the worst game of the series.

My memory of it is that the driving was absolutely rubbish.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,388 ✭✭✭✭Jayop

Any idea when gta6 is being released?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

Jayop wrote: »
    Any idea when gta6 is being released?

That won't be for a long time as they are still making money off GTA V.

Next open world game from them will be Red Dead Redemption 2.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭Stone Deaf 4evr

awec wrote: »
    It wasn't really, the reception was way more negative than usual for GTA games. Probably the worst game of the series.

My memory of it is that the driving was absolutely rubbish.

I didnt really like it at all myself. I felt that by taking out the more random stuff like jetpacks, rampages, etc. and going for a more serious tone, the series lost some of the magic of past games.

GTAV was a definite return to form though.

• Administrators Posts: 53,846 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

There has been 4 or 5 years between the last few major GTA releases, I'd expect the same this time so 2018/2019 for the next one I'd guess. If it was 2018 you'd expect to hear about it pretty soon I guess.

Hopefully the next one gets a multiplayer experience that actually works.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,533 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Was thinking of buying fallout 3 and new Vegas from the store, do they have achievements does anyone know?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,202 ✭✭✭maximoose

They have full achievement lists yeah, it's exactly the same as if you were playing on a 360.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭Stone Deaf 4evr

Was thinking of buying fallout 3 and new Vegas from the store, do they have achievements does anyone know?

yeah, course they do.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,533 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Thanks lads.

I picked up Fallout 4 on amazon for 25 euro, even though I own it on ps4 already and it comes with fallout 3.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,360 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

I picked up Fallout 4 on amazon for 25 euro, even though I own it on ps4 already and it comes with fallout 3.

Don't worry, you're in good company. I'd say half of Bethesdas sales numbers after the first six months are people buying it again on another system.

On the plus side, you'll now have access to bigger mods on Xbox.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,388 ✭✭✭✭Jayop

Had a quick blast at the Ghost recon beta this morning before work. It's a bit clunky but then I've only really played Gears of War lately and it's a completely different type of game.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,360 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

https://twitter.com/xboxuk/status/834811326019039235

Borderlands 2 has gone BC ahead of it's Games with gold release.

Assassin's Creed Rogue has also gone BC, and I'm tempted to pick it up. I think it's the only AC game I haven't played.

Rogue has only been sat on my shelf for 3 years at this stage. Time to dust it off I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,973 ✭✭✭✭Jordan 199

Ass Creed Rogue is well worth a play.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,799 ✭✭✭MiskyBoyy

• Registered Users Posts: 48,247 ✭✭✭✭km79

Is there any hope of COD4 remastered coming out as a standalone game ?
    I want it so bad but not infinite warfare
    This is was the first year I didn't buy cod as I hated last year's version
    Switched to battlefield which is great when I've time on holidays to play it regularly but it's much harder to just dip in and out of for a few quick games like COD

• Advertisement

km79 wrote: »
    Is there any hope of COD4 remastered coming out as a standalone game ?
    I want it so bad but not infinite warfare
    This is was the first year I didn't buy cod as I hated last year's version
    Switched to battlefield which is great when I've time on holidays to play it regularly but it's much harder to just dip in and out of for a few quick games like COD

I'd say it'll be available separately by the end of the summer, but it's only a guess. They'll run the numbers on it, and once they know that the remaster isn't driving sales of IW anymore, then they'll release it seperately. They'll also want to do it long before the next COD release at Christmas time, so that's why I think before the end of the summer.

In saying all that though, I'm still amazed at the prices that they charge for the older COD games, so maybe they'll just stick their heads in the sand and keep it connected.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement