Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Xbox One General Discussion - Part 2 (Please Read 1st Post)

Options

Comments

Anyone using bias lighting on their gaming setups ? I've been looking into this for a while now, options seem to be either suspiciously cheap or expensive with features I don't need. Basically looking at something in a strip that can be powered by usb and maybe as an on off switch on the cable :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭Stone Deaf 4evr

Anyone using bias lighting on their gaming setups ? I've been looking into this for a while now, options seem to be either suspiciously cheap or expensive with features I don't need. Basically looking at something in a strip that can be powered by usb and maybe as an on off switch on the cable :confused:

I'm sure one of the lads is using this

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B01HMAGGPS/ref=mp_s_a_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1487976714&sr=8-4&pi=AC_SX236_SY340_FMwebp_QL65&keywords=led+strip+lights&dpPl=1&dpID=51%2Bv1jyEOaL&ref=plSrch

Cheers, yeah i'd seen these and is what I meant by suspiciously cheap vs something like the philips hue stuff and all it's bells and whistles but really all it needs to do is meet the 6500k recommended for bias lighting which is basically white light as opposed to the other colours.

EDIT: It's worth reading into this if folks are gaming or watching tv in a dark room. Benefits are not just reduction in eye strain. I'll spend 10-20 quid to see if it's worth the investment for other screens in the house.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,119 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

Cheers, yeah i'd seen these and is what I meant by suspiciously cheap vs something like the philips hue stuff and all it's bells and whistles but really all it needs to do is meet the 6500k recommended for bias lighting which is basically white light as opposed to the other colours.

I had a strip like Stone posted but haven't used them since I put a Hue Go beside the TV.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,273 ✭✭✭Gizmo55

EDIT: It's worth reading into this if folks are gaming or watching tv in a dark room. Benefits are not just reduction in eye strain. I'll spend 10-20 quid to see if it's worth the investment for other screens in the house.

This may sound daft but I wonder would this help with motion sickness? I play in a darkened room but even with daylight coming in I feel really ill with certain games. It's stopping me playing loads of games (particularly FPS) so I'm willing to try anything at this stage.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,960 ✭✭✭Liamalone

I'm just left wondering what the heck is this needed for, an I missing something? Lighting for behind the tv? Where does this ****e/idea come from?

Liamalone wrote: »
    I'm just left wondering what the heck is this needed for, an I missing something? Lighting for behind the tv? Where does this ****e/idea come from?

Have a read https://www.howtogeek.com/213464/how-to-decrease-eye-fatigue-while-watching-tv-and-gaming-with-bias-lighting/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

CatInABox wrote: »
    I'd say it'll be available separately by the end of the summer, but it's only a guess. They'll run the numbers on it, and once they know that the remaster isn't driving sales of IW anymore, then they'll release it seperately. They'll also want to do it long before the next COD release at Christmas time, so that's why I think before the end of the summer.

In saying all that though, I'm still amazed at the prices that they charge for the older COD games, so maybe they'll just stick their heads in the sand and keep it connected.

I'm 50/50 on IW online, it's OK but nothing special (but not remotely deserving of the astounding hate it's been getting in my opinion), but if you can pick up the legacy version of IW with COD4 for cheap, it's not a bad deal.

The IW campaign is very good I thought, much better than the travesty that was BO3 and an improvement on AW.

So if you get IW Campaign/COD4 campaign and COD4 MP for €50, it's really not the worst thing you could spend money on even if you never touch IW online.

I'm 50/50 on IW online, it's OK but nothing special (but not remotely deserving of the astounding hate it's been getting in my opinion), but if you can pick up the legacy version of IW with COD4 for cheap, it's not a bad deal.

The IW campaign is very good I thought, much better than the travesty that was BO3 and an improvement on AW.

So if you get IW Campaign/COD4 campaign and COD4 MP for €50, it's really not the worst thing you could spend money on even if you never touch IW online.

I used to be a massive COD fan. I spent thousands of hours playing over the years but for me COD just tried copying Titanfall when they saw how popular that was.

There was no need for all the wall running etc in COD and I haven't bought one since Advanced Warfare.

If I want advanced movement I'll buy Titanfall, if I want massive maps that is a little more realistic I'll buy Battlefield, and if I wanted a shooter to pick up and play that was COD. They should have stuck with what they did well and not try to be something else.

Got an email there from Microsoft saying there was unusual activity on my account. Turns out someone tried to sign in from Honduras. I'm fairly sure I haven't been there recently :) I changed my password of course but just wondering has anyone else had this happen recently?

• Advertisement

Gizmo55 wrote: »
    Got an email there from Microsoft saying there was unusual activity on my account. Turns out someone tried to sign in from Honduras. I'm fairly sure I haven't been there recently :) I changed my password of course but just wondering has anyone else had this happen recently?

There was a Cloudfare breach a few days ago. Do you use your Xbox email for any other websites?

Here's a link to a thread about the breach.

https://www.reddit.com/r/xboxone/comments/5w5bpk/psa_cdkeys_was_possibly_affected_by_cloudbleed/

Use http://www.doesitusecloudflare.com/ to check any other websites your concerned about.

emmetkenny wrote: »
    There was a Cloudfare breach a few days ago. Do you use your Xbox email for any other websites?

Here's a link to a thread about the breach.

https://www.reddit.com/r/xboxone/comments/5w5bpk/psa_cdkeys_was_possibly_affected_by_cloudbleed/

Use http://www.doesitusecloudflare.com/ to check any other websites your concerned about.

Thanks a million.

How are cloudflare even in business. Inspite of this they are useless in what they offer which doesn't work 99% of the time and the other 1% actually contributes to the problems and keeps sites down longer than needs be and ..... /end rant. Anyone who has had dealings with them knowns what I mean. :mad:

How are cloudflare even in business. Inspite of this they are useless in what they offer which doesn't work 99% of the time and the other 1% actually contributes to the problems and keeps sites down longer than needs be and ..... /end rant. Anyone who has had dealings with them knowns what I mean. :mad:

Boards are actually using them.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,360 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

emmetkenny wrote: »
    Boards are actually using them.

Indeed. There was an announcement on the front page and all about it.

General gist is that boards was one of the sites that was affected, but no data got cached anywhere. The likely hood of anyone getting any sensitive info without that data been cached is extremely low, but if anyone is concerned, then change your passwords.

EDIT: I'm pretty security conscious, but I think the risk is so low that I'm not changing my boards password. Other sites though, perhaps.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,184 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

Quick question, I know you can get 360 games with gold on the one, but just wanted to know if I were to buy a digital download code from Amazon for a 360 game will that work on the xbox one?

Just want to get injustice god among us and play it again ahead of the 2nd one and i see there is a digital code for £4 on Amazon

• Registered Users Posts: 623 ✭✭✭NeitherJohn

Only if it's backwards compatbile.

Turns out it is! So it'll work.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,328 ✭✭✭dunworth1

Quick question, I know you can get 360 games with gold on the one, but just wanted to know if I were to buy a digital download code from Amazon for a 360 game will that work on the xbox one?

Just want to get injustice god among us and play it again ahead of the 2nd one and i see there is a digital code for £4 on Amazon

the code from amazon might not work here as it might be region locked

but if the code works it'll work away and appear on your games list

• Registered Users Posts: 731 ✭✭✭jimbob_jones

dunworth1 wrote: »
    the code from amazon might not work here as it might be region locked

but if the code works it'll work away and appear on your games list

Just picked it up there and I was able to redeem bargain at that price :)

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,360 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

Peter Moore has left EA and the gaming industry altogether. Sad news, always loved how passionate he was about everything. It's not a step down for him though, he's becoming CEO of Liverpool.

As an Arsenal fan, this is possibly the one time that I'll wish good luck to Liverpool. :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,393 ✭✭✭Fingleberries

Peter Moore has left EA and the gaming industry altogether. Sad news, always loved how passionate he was about everything. It's not a step down for him though, he's becoming CEO of Liverpool.

As an Arsenal fan, this is possibly the one time that I'll wish good luck to Liverpool. :D
    Fair play to him getting his dream job...
    Luckily as CEO he just has to look after the business side of things and not have to apologise for on-field performances.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,420 ✭✭✭FAILSAFE 00

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,295 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Fantastic! Ultra settings and 'chievos :D

Your screwed. First half of all games at Anfield will be free but visiting teams will have to pay a massive fee to unlock the second half as it'll be paid DLC. Liverpool will be the only team on the field for the second half and romp to victory :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 892 ✭✭✭Fuzzy Logic

Xbox Game Pass coming at the end of the Spring. Looks like it's $9,99 per month for subscribers with 100 games on offer to play. Wonder if it's US only or will roll out here too.

https://majornelson.com/2017/02/28/introducing-xbox-game-pass-unlimited-access-to-more-than-100-games/

• Registered Users Posts: 8,799 ✭✭✭MiskyBoyy

Xbox Game Pass coming at the end of the Spring. Looks like it's $9,99 per month for subscribers with 100 games on offer to play. Wonder if it's US only or will roll out here too.

https://majornelson.com/2017/02/28/introducing-xbox-game-pass-unlimited-access-to-more-than-100-games/

Rolling out to Alpha preview ring today...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,393 ✭✭✭Fingleberries

Looks like a great program ... I wonder how many of the games will be ones that were previously GwG.
    Looking at the games in the Hero image on the news story, it looks like about 30% of the visible ones weren't GwG before.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,295 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

It's very promising, I imagine like a lot of subscription services it will start off pretty cack bar a few flagship titles but a year or two down the road will be fantastic value.

MiskyBoyy wrote: »
    Rolling out to Alpha preview ring today...

Got it there, 21 games for free for a month, 5 Xbox one, the rest 360. Discount is already available.

Nice.

EDIT: Interesting that they talk about a revolving catalogue, I wonder is that just like the way EA Access talk about removing games, but it never actually happen, or if they'll stick to 100 games and just rotate them?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27,339 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Like the idea but I wonder how many of them I’ll already have through Games with Gold and sales. Not sure there’ll be enough games that I don’t own to make it worth it.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement