Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Xbox One General Discussion - Part 2 (Please Read 1st Post)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,247 ✭✭✭Max Mafioso

I know this is not the right forum but thought this was a bit funny.
    Sony Italy have trolled Nintendo with an ad that has the same red background and font for the Nintendo Switch and they have on it "Friday will be a great day for gaming" with a photo next to it of the PS4 and written on it is "The PS4 will be sold for €199.99 for 1 day only"

At that price I would almost be tempted but I cant justify paying for PS Plus when I am also paying for Xbox Live as well as the backlog of games I keep adding to and also my issue with Sony banning my account

• Registered Users Posts: 9,202 ✭✭✭maximoose

So after 10 years on Xbox I joined the dark side tonight and bought a PS4 thanks to that thread on Bargain Alerts.

I just can't sit by and watch quality AAA games pass me by anymore. PS4 will be a secondary console for it's exclusives but MS need to do something if someone who games the way I do buys a second console to fill the AAA gap.

So far my thoughts are that as much as I hat eh Xbox store PS4 is way worse but they have spotify and their equivalent of the current guide that xbox preview members get is better in terms of what you can access on it.

Pretty much agree with everything here.

Got a PS4 last year mainly for exclusives and because most of my friends are on PS4, so pick up the odd MP game we are all interested in.

I hate the dash, the menus, the storefront - as a system I think Xbox One is better by far. The slick spotify integration is fantastic though.

I buy probably 4x more games on Xbox than the PS4, and it is still my preferred console but future games are looking a little bleak (for me anyway) - and I only realised there's easy gamesharing on the darkside too so I can see my loyalty for multiplats changing.

Hopefully they blow us away with news at E3 :)

• Registered Users Posts: 211 ✭✭B_Sharp

Was about to reserve that PS4 deal in argos but it was out of stock in Galway. Don't know if I'm happy or sad. Huge backlog on Xbox and PC but it's some deal.

Really only want a PS4 to play Horizon Zero Dawn, the Uncharted games and The Last of Us. The lack of decent exclusives coming to the Xbox really is poor, expecially as someone who isn't particularly pushed by Halo or Gears.

• Registered Users Posts: 585 ✭✭✭alpahaeagle

Bought myself a ps4 pro just after christmas and sold a couple of weeks ago as I never played it. Have two many Xbox games to play...

When will I learn as I have now had 2 ps4 and a pro and sold at a lose....

• Registered Users Posts: 3,273 ✭✭✭Gizmo55

Bought myself a ps4 pro just after christmas and sold a couple of weeks ago as I never played it. Have two many Xbox games to play...

When will I learn as I have now had 2 ps4 and a pro and sold at a lose....

Step away from the credit/debit card.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 642 ✭✭✭qrx

The way I see it, Xbox One is traditionally a social console, with games heavily focussed on multiplayer. Whereas PS is traditionally focussed on campaign games. I don't know if that's still true, but I've found as I get older my gaming interests have moved more towards games with strong storylines and good campaigns and less on multiplayer. I am very tempted by a PS4 as it seems to have a good list of games with strong stories and campaigns. But then again, it's likely a case of the grass is always greener and I'd end up with 2 consoles I rarely get to play.

I'd also like to see what's in store for Scorpio before I go to the dark side. They've got to be holding something back for it, surely? Are the days of Microsoft and Xbox disappointing fans again and again over, or are they going to do it again? I mean I think it's pretty much confirmed that the hardware is going to be spot on, but what games are they launching with? E3 in June better have some impressive announcements.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,420 ✭✭✭FAILSAFE 00

qrx wrote: »
    I'd also like to see what's in store for Scorpio before I go to the dark side. They've got to be holding something back for it, surely? Are the days of Microsoft and Xbox disappointing fans again and again over, or are they going to do it again? I mean I think it's pretty much confirmed that the hardware is going to be spot on, but what games are they launching with? E3 in June better have some impressive announcements.

I'd like to think they are holding something back on some game announcements but the chances are very slim. Most games are now announced 3 years before release to generate hype. I can't see them in June announcing new games for November/December that we haven't heard of.

I think we could see a return to previous gen for just a while where the Xbox runs the multi platform titles better than Playstation and as you said Playstation will release a few nice campaign titles.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,328 ✭✭✭dunworth1

I'd like to think they are holding something back on some game announcements but the chances are very slim. Most games are now announced 3 years before release to generate hype. I can't see them in June announcing new games for November/December that we haven't heard of.

I think we could see a return to previous gen for just a while where the Xbox runs the multi platform titles better than Playstation and as you said Playstation will release a few nice campaign titles.

but its kinda needed really

they need some games for scorpio at launch even if its only one or two
    if they want it to sell they will need to push hard

specs wont sell it on its own

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,295 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Yeah exclusives wise all we're looking at at the moment is Sea of Thieves, which has great potential but probably isn't really going to set the world alight. Also, you can play it on PC.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,267 ✭✭✭mcgovern

Shadow of War was just announced this week and is out in August.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,295 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

dunworth1 wrote: »

Well it's just a higher spec XB1 at the end of the day, it can't really have launch titles by definition since the platform is already available, the hardware is the only selling point, much like the PS4 pro.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,328 ✭✭✭dunworth1

Mickeroo wrote: »
    Well it's just a higher spec XB1 at the end of the day, it can't really have launch titles by definition since the platform is already available, the hardware is the only selling point, much like the PS4 pro.

sorry should have worded it better

they need game preferably new ones which support the increased performance
    of the scorpio

people aren't going to buy it unless there's incentive

So we're probably talking crackdown as an exclusive, there's gotta be a Forza in there too and maybe RDR 2 as a "runs best on scorpio" title. It's not great tbh. Most powerful console but without the games it doesn't mean anything.

edit: sorry, crackdown won't be an exclusive. What I mean is a game that uses the extra horse power.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭Stone Deaf 4evr

They have to come up big to turn the tide, theres a number of things that IMO, they need to hit to get people excited

1. price - this is probably the single biggest thing that they need to get right, if they get this wrong, its game over before they ever start.
    2. exclusives - Its really only this year that I've felt that we're missing out on stuff, ps4 is seeing a steady trickle of top tier stuff, seemingly every month
    3. Preferential Deals - no matter how much Call of Duty stinks, that 1 month exclusivity period matters, same goes for destiny and the witholding of elements like weapons and strikes for PS4 players. The Destiny thing alone irks me to this day. A big franchise like destiny has a rabid fanbase that'll follow the content.

The PS4 had sold incredibly well before it had any amazing exclusives.

The best selling games are multiplatform games. In a generation where gamers are obsessed with pixel count and frame rate I can see the Scorpio will sell well.

It doesn't have to be an exclusive game to sell Scorpio. Red Dead Redemption 2 will be out in November. I can see many console gamers wanting the premium RD2 experience.

What could be an ace up their sleeve, would be to say all your existing games will be patched to get a performance boost. Like back compatibility, every couple of months come out with Scorpio performance patch for existing games. They could even charge a small DLC type charge for it to make it worth while for developers.

qrx wrote: »
    What could be an ace up their sleeve, would be to say all your existing games will be patched to get a performance boost. Like back compatibility, every couple of months come out with Scorpio performance patch for existing games. They could even charge a small DLC type charge for it to make it worth while for developers.

Charging for it would be disastrous imo. One good thing is, any games that are Play Anywhere shouldn't need a patch as you can already play them in 4k on PC. So if they can get more third party titles on board with that (Shadow of War is great start) it could really help the system.

While i'm at it, provided RDR 2 isn't getting a bona fide PC release, making it a play anywhere would do wonders for the windows 10 store....

The PS4 had sold incredibly well before it had any amazing exclusives.

The best selling games are multiplatform games. In a generation where gamers are obsessed with pixel count and frame rate I can see the Scorpio will sell well.

It doesn't have to be an exclusive game to sell Scorpio. Red Dead Redemption 2 will be out in November. I can see many console gamers wanting the premium RD2 experience.

you're 100% correct on all the above, the big decider again will be price,

I'm on board myself for better or worse, I was tempted to go PC but cant bring myself to commit to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,611 ✭✭✭tony1980

It's going to be a tasty price for the Scorpio I'd say, when Spencer was asked on the podcast, he kept saying it will be a premium console for elite gamers and that he expects the S would still be the bigger seller for the vast majority of consumers. I can't see myself been able to justify the price with so little exclusives as I have a PC already.

• Advertisement

mcgovern wrote: »
    Shadow of War was just announced this week and is out in August.

Which is great however it really is the exception to the rule. So many games are announced many years before hand.

I still expect the Xbox One S to do well sales wise particular when we hit Christmas when parents will have the hard choice of fantastic XB1S bundles vs the premium priced Scorpio.

It's a cash grab, much like the PS4 Pro, but I'll still be pre-ordering as soon as I can. I think Microsoft made a wise move in waiting a year for 4K TV's to settle in a bit more though.

From the IGN podcast interview with Phil Spencer.

https://youtu.be/T8uBk0FmL5Q?t=38m44s - link to the exact time in the interview when he mentions it.
    for people that think there is a big massive triple AAA game in my back pocket that I haven't announced yet that I am going to announce at E3 and ship at fall..... It could happen

Sounds promising. If he didn't have one he would have managed expectations and said no.

From the IGN podcast interview with Phil Spencer.

https://youtu.be/T8uBk0FmL5Q?t=38m44s - link to the exact time in the interview when he mentions it.

Sounds promising. If he didn't have one he would have managed expectations and said no.

I'm trying to think what they could commission that would be seen as a major announcement, and the only thing that jumps to mind is something like a Dark Souls 4

• Registered Users Posts: 850 ✭✭✭erkifino

If Scorpio is still under wraps, is it possible it's more a PC/console hybrid? Play your PC games, play your One games. Marketplace becomes a rival for steam?

I'm trying to think what they could commission that would be seen as a major announcement, and the only thing that jumps to mind is something like a Dark Souls 4
    it sounds more like an xbox exclusive and not a third party title. When they phrased the question they said outside of the already announced games like Crackdown and some other game.

it sounds more like an xbox exclusive and not a third party title. When they phrased the question they said outside of the already announced games like Crackdown and some other game.

Yeah, it's bound to be a Microsoft exclusive if there is one. Surely there'll be something to announce for the Scorpio. Wracking my brain here to think what it might be. Damn you Failsafe!

• Registered Users Posts: 28,119 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

Red Dead Redemption with a massive spec boost for Scorpio?

Or maybe a deal with CD Projket Red for Steampunk exclusively? Another Tomb Raider?

Edit: What about a Crimson Skies sequel?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 850 ✭✭✭erkifino

Minecraft 2?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement