Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Xbox One General Discussion - Part 2 (Please Read 1st Post)

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,610 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Not sure if this has been mentioned but Virtual On OT was included in the newest list of Xbox360 games that are compatible now with the XB1.
    But most of the reports are also saying that this is Japan only, and this is being widely reported.
    However, it's also false, I bought it from the online store and, a little while later, it was available for download and play on my XB1.
    Now, it's still around €15 and the control system is as esoteric as it comes, but it's plenty of fun and another worthy Sega title to find it's way to the XB1, along with the recent Daytona.
    Pity there's no hope of Outrun 2006!

• Registered Users Posts: 461 ✭✭gmg678

Cross platform gaming might actually be happening between Xbox and PlayStation:

http://www.techradar.com/news/cross-platform-play-may-have-arrived-on-xbox-and-playstation

• Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭Stone Deaf 4evr

gmg678 wrote: »
    Cross platform gaming might actually be happening between Xbox and PlayStation:

http://www.techradar.com/news/cross-platform-play-may-have-arrived-on-xbox-and-playstation

cat-dog-wedding-getting-married-41538689.jpg

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,610 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

• Registered Users Posts: 7,593 ✭✭✭theteal

Just received an email from Game stating they're taking pre-orders on the non scorpio X's from tomorrow.

Any word on trade-in deals about? I can only find info from america on that front.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 481 ✭✭WarpAsylum

theteal wrote: »
    Just received an email from Game stating they're taking pre-orders on the non scorpio X's from tomorrow.

Any word on trade-in deals about? I can only find info from america on that front.
    I've been asking them the last few times I've been in about the trade in deals and they've no news yet.
    Hopefully tomorrow with these new preorders??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 642 ✭✭✭qrx

WarpAsylum wrote: »
    I've been asking them the last few times I've been in about the trade in deals and they've no news yet.
    Hopefully tomorrow with these new preorders??

I was told way to early for trade ins. He said you can preorder and then closer to the date if there's a trade in deal you can do it against your preorder.

Honestly though, I don't foresee a problem buying one off the shelf post launch.

Yeah, I wasn't planning on pre-ordering. Would like to know what I can get for my big ass 500gb xbone though (although it only cost £150 in the first place) so I could sort the budget

• Registered Users Posts: 11,972 ✭✭✭✭Jordan 199

The FM7 demo is downloading on to my console now. 17.66GB of it.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,359 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

Normal Xbox One X preorders are up now.

Jordan 199 wrote: »
    The FM7 demo is downloading on to my console now. 17.66GB of it.

The full game is 100gb and that doesn't include 4k assets!

• Registered Users Posts: 301 ✭✭pcadhain

qrx wrote: »

Holy moly. I need another 2TB.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,412 Mod ✭✭✭✭Andrew76

CatInABox wrote: »
    Normal Xbox One X preorders are up now.

I'm wondering if there's much benefit in the upgrade if I don't have a 4k or HDR tv? Just standard 1080p. Currently have the Xbox One Elite console which does me fine so far.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,359 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

Andrew76 wrote: »
    I'm wondering if there's much benefit in the upgrade if I don't have a 4k or HDR tv? Just standard 1080p. Currently have the Xbox One Elite console which does me fine so far.

Games will look better at 1080p, but to better textures and downsampling (it'll render it internally at 4K, and then downscale for your 1080p). Depending on how the game is developed/set-up, there'll be higher frame rates as well.

Wait until Digital Foundry gets to go through most of the supported games, and then make your decision, to be honest. It's not going to be hard to pick one up if you change your mind.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,393 ✭✭✭Fingleberries

CatInABox wrote: »
    Games will look better at 1080p, but to better textures and downsampling (it'll render it internally at 4K, and then downscale for your 1080p). Depending on how the game is developed/set-up, there'll be higher frame rates as well.

Wait until Digital Foundry gets to go through most of the supported games, and then make your decision, to be honest. It's not going to be hard to pick one up if you change your mind.
    In addition to these benefits, your 'normal' games will benefit from better loading times and if they are set for dynamic resolution or frame rate they will hit their targeted resolution / FPS more consistently.

'Normal' games would include all Xbox 360 Back Compat games and any Xbox One games that the developers have not done anything to enhance it for Xbox One.

The One X also has better antialiasing and so on. It's on by default, so it should remove 'jaggies' from older games as well (without the Devs having to do anything).

Here's a decent article from Digital Foundry URL="http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-2017-project-scorpio-back-compat-five-ways-your-existing-games-will-be-better"]here[/URL.

Before the One X launches, I'm sure they'll have an updated article with actual footage, pixel counting, etc.

In fact, digital foundry have a new article up today on Quantum Break, a game that got a fair amount of undeserved stick. One of the reasons it got stick was the renderer, which used a few 720p screens and upscaled them a bit. Digital Foundry are saying it's got a 4K mode, but it's also got a 1080p mode, with increased framerate.

See here.

• Registered Users Posts: 301 ✭✭pcadhain

My hand is sore even thinking about going near that d-pad

• Registered Users Posts: 9,507 ✭✭✭runawaybishop

In addition to these benefits, your 'normal' games will benefit from better loading times

Dunno about that tbh.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,420 ✭✭✭FAILSAFE 00

Dunno about that tbh.
    Should do. Its a faster hard drive and all tests completed on Xbox One with faster hard drives show faster loading.

Speaking about other benefits - games that run on an unlocked frame rate such as Sniper Elite 4 will run much better without a patch from the devs. Expect to see 60FPS and higher for this game.

Should do. Its a faster hard drive and all tests completed on Xbox One with faster hard drives show faster loading.

I haven't noticed any difference :p

I haven't noticed any difference :p
    Show off ... colour me green (Xbox green?) with envy :P

I thought the talk was of the system using the 4GB RAM from the 9GB for games as a RAM disk for caching. (Standard Xbox One / S only has 5GB for games, One X has 9GB for games, but developers have to specifically use it ... the Disk Caching scenario was supposed to be for games that aren't updated by Devs to specifically take advantage of the extra RAM).

The initial load times will probably be more or less the same, but once it's up and running the other loads should be quicker.

Show off ... colour me green (Xbox green?) with envy :P

I thought the talk was of the system using the 4GB RAM from the 9GB for games as a RAM disk for caching. (Standard Xbox One / S only has 5GB for games, One X has 9GB for games, but developers have to specifically use it ... the Disk Caching scenario was supposed to be for games that aren't updated by Devs to specifically take advantage of the extra RAM).

The initial load times will probably be more or less the same, but once it's up and running the other loads should be quicker.

The X patches are not pushed yet so maybe in November we'll see the speed boost.

The X patches are not pushed yet so maybe in November we'll see the speed boost.
    Maybe, but the X specific patches were only for games that were to be updated to take advantage of the extra RAM / CPU, etc.

My understanding was that any / all unpatched games would use the RAM cache, Antialiasing, etc. automatically - without the need of a patch - kind of like Boost mode on the Pro version of the console that shall not speak it's name on this forum. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,420 ✭✭✭FAILSAFE 00

Just to let people know Ghost Recon Wildlands open beta for their PvP mode is active now until Monday morning.

You do not need to own Wildlands to play the PvP beta. Its a 32gb install.

It is fantastic. I couldn't come off it last night. Very addictive :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 8,138 ✭✭✭dinneenp

I bought Doom disc and upon installing it XBox tells me that it has to install 30+ GB. Is there any way around this, to play without installing/updating?

Thanks,
    Pa.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

dinneenp wrote: »
    I bought Doom disc and upon installing it XBox tells me that it has to install 30+ GB. Is there any way around this, to play without installing/updating?

Thanks,
    Pa.

No unfortunately. It is the way all games have gone now. It is even more annoying for me on a 2.5Mb connection.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭Stone Deaf 4evr

dinneenp wrote: »

Thanks,
    Pa.

Disconnect your xbox from the internet and see if it works.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,703 ✭✭✭Inviere

qrx wrote: »

:eek: any idea of the total size with 4k assets?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement