Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Xbox One General Discussion - Part 2 (Please Read 1st Post)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,593 ✭✭✭theteal

Dumb question time. I'm sure I know the answer but I'm going to ask anyway.

All these enhanced games for the X, they don't need to be purchased again if we already own them, right? There'll be an "enhanced update" pushed out?

It's just that all the new games have noted on the box that the are X enhanced, HDR etc. whereas obviously the old don't/didn't.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,247 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

theteal wrote: »
    Dumb question time. I'm sure I know the answer but I'm going to ask anyway.

All these enhanced games for the X, they don't need to be purchased again if we already own them, right? There'll be an "enhanced update" pushed out?

It's just that all the new games have noted on the box that the are X enhanced, HDR etc. whereas obviously the old don't/didn't.

Yeah it will just be an update as far as I'm aware.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,455 ✭✭✭marcbrophy

If you already have an xbox, and you want to get the 4k assets ahead of time, before moving to the X, there's an article below that shows what to do, to make sure your games are ready!

https://www.windowscentral.com/how-download-xbox-one-x-4k-game-assets-your-regular-xbox-one

Just wish I knew what kind of space we're going to need in the future. I don't know if I can justify another 4TB external drive, this side of the new year :)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭Stone Deaf 4evr

marcbrophy wrote: »
    If you already have an xbox, and you want to get the 4k assets ahead of time, before moving to the X, there's an article below that shows what to do, to make sure your games are ready!

https://www.windowscentral.com/how-download-xbox-one-x-4k-game-assets-your-regular-xbox-one

Just wish I knew what kind of space we're going to need in the future. I don't know if I can justify another 4TB external drive, this side of the new year :)

the big problem I have, is that I'll download terabytes of 4k assets, then launch the game once to see what it looks like, then never play those old games again.

Apart from the witcher 3 - i've held off on doing both DLC's until the X drops, and I'm holding off on Shadow of War until I get the X also.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,330 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

I misread that as Master Chef :/
    :P:P

Master-Chief-is-a-Master-Chef.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,504 ✭✭✭runawaybishop

New OS doesn't have those options and anyway the 4k patches are not out yet and wont be until the X launches.

the big problem I have, is that I'll download terabytes of 4k assets, then launch the game once to see what it looks like, then never play those old games again.

Apart from the witcher 3 - i've held off on doing both DLC's until the X drops, and I'm holding off on Shadow of War until I get the X also.

That's probably true, I hope we get a per game option whether to get the patches or not :)

I don't even know if any of the games I have will be "enhanced" or not, must try and find a list!
    New OS doesn't have those options and anyway the 4k patches are not out yet and wont be until the X launches.

I don't know what OS version you are on, but I was able to do this last night :)
    I was on the beta ring for the "Fall" update!

That's probably true, I hope we get a per game option whether to get the patches or not :)

I don't even know if any of the games I have will be "enhanced" or not, must try and find a list!

I don't know what OS version you are on, but I was able to do this last night :)
    I was on the beta ring for the "Fall" update!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Xbox_One_X_Enhanced_games
    ^^ 4k list

I get builds ahead of alpha.

Farming Sim at 4k! That justifies the upgrade right there, in my eyes :D

I see, so the latest version has omitted the setting by accident or are actively taking it away? :)

Farming Sim at 4k! That justifies the upgrade right there, in my eyes :D

I see, so the latest version has omitted the setting by accident or are actively taking it away? :)

I would guess that its by design but I don't really know. It could be that will it happen automatically in the background.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,593 ✭✭✭theteal

Thanks for that. I've never gotten round to buying Doom or Halo 5 yet, this could well give me the nudge I needed. I'd expect titanfall 2 to see a resurgence of player numbers.

Now the dilemma is do I want to re-buy gow4 and rotr?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,330 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

It does have those options.
    Xbox Wire wrote:
    You’ll be able to download 4K content for some games ahead of time to your Xbox One or Xbox One S, so that you’re ready to transfer Xbox One X Enhanced games to your new console on day one.

See here.

The patches are coming out as the devs finish them, so there'll be a few done before launch.

I would guess that its by design but I don't really know. It could be that will it happen automatically in the background.

Makes more sense, than somebody actively turning it off, then claiming that theres no difference in the old and new xbox in terms of picture quality :)

Anyway, I have quite a few games on the wiki list, if even a few of them release their 4k assets over the next 3 weeks before the box is out, then I'll be saved a bit of time. And I'm happy about that...

CatInABox wrote: »
    It does have those options.

Mine doesn't and I am probably on a newer build than you. I am also on an X.

I've come to admire your posting over the years, you feed us just enough crumbs to keep us all interested and never follow though with too much information.

bravo good sir, carry on:cool:

Ah yes, I see what you mean now, it's probably not needed on the X as it'll automatically download the 4K assets.

Anyway, it's there now on the One and One S, so anyone that wants to get a jump on the massive downloads can if they want.

I wonder will the option remain after the One X is released? It'd be still handy for those who know that they're going to get a One X in the near future.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,048 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

Are you seeing any improvements with the X? Or can you say?

I wonder will the option remain after the One X is released? It'd be still handy for those who know that they're going to get a One X in the near future.

I'd imagine so myself. That's precisely what it's there for, so that you can update to 4k assets, before making the move. I saw a video with Larry Hyrb saying that recently.

Also, it wouldn't be needed on the X, which is why bishop isn't seeing it, and any patches released before "launch" will auto update on his X.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,393 ✭✭✭Fingleberries

Ah yes, I see what you mean now, it's probably not needed on the X as it'll automatically download the 4K assets.

Anyway, it's there now on the One and One S, so anyone that wants to get a jump on the massive downloads can if they want.

It'll probably remain after the One X is released because it will be useful for people prepping to move from One/S -> X in the future, and not an option only for preorders and early adopters.

To check whether the assets are installed.
    In "My Games and Apps", if you press LB + RB and Hamburger Button (the old back button on a 360) you will see a 'debug info' description of the game - the Assets Installed section will show you if the 'X' assets are installed.

For example, on Forza Horizon 3 on my Xbox One S, it lists "Xbox-Durango;Xbox-Durango-Only;X", whereas on Halo 5 it only lists "Xbox-Durango;Xbox-Durango-Only", probably because the X assets for Halo are not ready for public download yet.

There is another section X1XE (presumably Xbox One X Enhanced) that shows as 'False' for all my games ... so far, but give it a couple of weeks and that could be different.

(I'm on the Alpha ring)

AFAIK the 4k asset patches wont be out until the 7th

• Advertisement

emmetkenny wrote: »
    Are you seeing any improvements with the X? Or can you say?

Haven't really noticed any but I haven't done any side by side comparisons

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭mossym

i had the option to download the 4k assets on my one (non S) last night, so switched it on. Destiny 2,Forza 7, Fh3 and the division at least should be downloading 4k assets in advance. soon as some of them come down can report back.

imagine there will be some stagger between them, but i seem to remember forza 7 being metioned as one of the first so that one should come in anyway

Hallelujah! The Plex app has finally gotten an update. Haven't tried it out yet, but at least now that they've updated it to a new version they'll be update it more often now.

More here.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-2017-shadow-of-war-xbox-one-x-one-version-to-rule-them-all

this is certainly encouraging, looks like I've found the game I want to buy to with my one X. I was initially thinking forza 7, but critical reception to that has been kinda mixed, plus I dont think I'd get the value out of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,202 ✭✭✭maximoose

I'm liking Forza 7, the career is more enjoyable than it was in 5.

Think I'll be holding off on Shadow of War for a while, will get Wolfenstein next week for a spin on the X :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Yep, Wolf 2 will be my game of choice to give the One X it's first spin. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,273 ✭✭✭Gizmo55

Forza 7 and Shadow of War for me, holding off on them til I get the One X. I'm starting to feel like Cartman waiting for the Wii.

• Registered Users Posts: 481 ✭✭WarpAsylum

I put The Witcher 3 on ice when I heard it'd be getting a patch for the One X.
    Looking forward to getting back into it.
    Also been holding off on starting Rise of the Tomb Raider till then too.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,419 ✭✭✭FAILSAFE 00

WarpAsylum wrote: »
    I put The Witcher 3 on ice when I heard it'd be getting a patch for the One X.
    Looking forward to getting back into it.
    Also been holding off on starting Rise of the Tomb Raider till then too.

znpWFMc.jpg?1

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 994 ✭✭✭Tilikum

Have they taken off the apps you could stream movies on?

Also, does anyone use showbox?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement