Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Xbox One General Discussion - Part 2 (Please Read 1st Post)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭corroonb

Did the manufacturers increase the RRP for games or did the game shops just decide to start charging the RRP? €69.99 is an insane price and Gamestop have games for €75. It's so easy just to buy games from the US Store using gift cards. I will never buy another game at retail in Ireland.

I'm going to trade in my PS3 and a few games this weekend and get Xbox gift cards. There are some reasonably priced digital games on the Irish Xbox Store like Metro 2033 and Last Light. Tomb Raider and Thief are also reasonable.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,340 ✭✭✭deco nate

It's standard pricing at the start of a new cycle, same pricing when the 360 came out.
    B+m prices will drop, but it will be the end of next yet I reckon.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,499 ✭✭✭Shred

Yep, as long as B+M shops keep taking the píss on price they'll be getting no business from me; I'll just keep using the various regional stores until the plug inevitably gets pulled. But then you can still buy online at least 10-15% cheaper than B+M and the beauty of this generation is you can buy digital copies and get access to games more or less straight away.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,653 ✭✭✭Nolimits

quad_red wrote: »

Like, it's not only the resolution thing. I don't think that would bother me once they aren't side my side. But if you're playing a multi platform game and the frame rate is poor would knowing that the other platform version is silky smooth gnaw away at ye?
    Have the frame rates been different for any games yet? Either way here is 30fps and 60fps side by side

img]

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,295 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Nolimits wrote: »
    Have the frame rates been different for any games yet? Either way here is 30fps and 60fps side by side

IuFfcnJ.jpg

Edit not sure if that's working http://imgur.com/IuFfcnJ

The difference is hardly noticeable to me, I presume left is 30fps? I've seen side by side comparisons of 900p and 1080p too and I didn't really get the big deal either. They're just something companies can use for marketing as far as I can see.

I play my xbox one on a 5 year old 720p TV anyway sure :o

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,803 ✭✭✭Benzino

Better off using dedicated sites to compare the difference, such as http://www.30vs60fps.com or https://frames-per-second.appspot.com

• Registered Users Posts: 8,799 ✭✭✭MiskyBoyy

Benzino wrote: »
    Better off using dedicated sites to compare the difference, such as http://www.30vs60fps.com or https://frames-per-second.appspot.com

That 30 v 60 one is making me really dizzy! :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,561 ✭✭✭quad_red

I'm not even specifically talking about "resolution gate" ie. 60 fps or STFU

I'm more talking about consistent frame rates and smoothness. With so many poorly optimized games out there and it being so relatively early this gen we have yet to see what either console can do.

But Digitial Foundry face offs indicate that even in poorly optimized games, 90% of the time the problems are worse on the X1.

Anyway, my question was are people concerned or irritated and the answer is no.

Cheers. :)

For some reason I think this was prompted by the X1 being more expensive and now the same price as the PS4 despite the PS4 being better hardware.

I suppose what I'm saying is the X1 *should* be cheaper than the PS4. Given how X1 sales are lagging maybe it's not so much the price point (doing the PS4 no harm) but the fact that it's the same as a demonstrably more powerful piece of hardware. Even if it was only €25 cheaper MS could trumpet that.

Getting stuck in a dick waving contest on specs that they can only ever lose isn't going to work! Cheaper hardware and great games will.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

Mickeroo wrote: »
    They're just something companies can use for marketing as far as I can see.

It's definitely not that, there is a big difference between the two albeit I can't notice it in that link either. The dedicated sites for it also linked to, show it much better.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,133 ✭✭✭GottaGetGatt

If i was to use my external hard drive for the xbox, can i then also use it for storing Movies and the like at the same time?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,350 ✭✭✭naughto

If i was to use my external hard drive for the xbox, can i then also use it for storing Movies and the like at the same time?
    It that Xbox no fat32 for storage

naughto wrote: »
    It that Xbox no fat32 for storage

What?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,350 ✭✭✭naughto

What?

For the 360 if you used a external hard drive it had to be fat32 that was used.id throw failsafe a pm

No. As far as I know, you cannot.

"Q: Can I use the external storage device for music and video playback?

A: No. For the initial release of the external storage feature, media files, including music and videos, are not supported. We are considering this for a future release.

Q: Can I use my external storage device with my PC as well as my Xbox One?

A: No. The external storage device will be formatted for use by the Xbox One console only. PCs won’t recognize the drive partition created by the Xbox One."

• Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭Stone Deaf 4evr

I dont know what router you have, but I can attach a hdd to the usb port on my router. the new media player on the one can see this using the dnla thing

I dont know what router you have, but I can attach a hdd to the usb port on my router. the new media player on the one can see this using the dnla thing

This is true for hard drives you use to store movies on, connect to the PC and load more on etc. but the hard drive in question he's wanting to convert to Xbox storage for games which can't be viewed on the PC, and can't be used to store movies on or connect to the router to be used.

MiskyBoyy wrote: »
    No. As far as I know, you cannot.

"Q: Can I use the external storage device for music and video playback?

A: No. For the initial release of the external storage feature, media files, including music and videos, are not supported. We are considering this for a future release.

Q: Can I use my external storage device with my PC as well as my Xbox One?

A: No. The external storage device will be formatted for use by the Xbox One console only. PCs won’t recognize the drive partition created by the Xbox One."

Cheers for that , the brother said his friends were able to use it for both but I guess you can't. Will probably just pick up another one when te co se is near full.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,795 ✭✭✭sweetie

can one cast from an android device directly to the xbone without using a Chromecast?

sweetie wrote: »
    can one cast from an android device directly to the xbone without using a Chromecast?

I don't think so but you had me googling it. Don't think the built in screen cast option works but maybe this app does. I'm going to try both options now because you have me wondering :Dhttps://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.koushikdutta.cast&hl=en

whenever I use my Chromecast and the Xbox one is on there is an Xbox option. how to activate I don't know!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 933 ✭✭✭Furp

You can use an external drive with movies etc on it, when you connect the drive don't let the xbox format. Use it with the media player app, (this is was in the preview for the October update) If you also want to store your games on an external drive this needs to be a different drive that's formatted by the xbox one.

• Registered Users Posts: 933 ✭✭✭Furp

whenever I use my Chromecast and the Xbox one is on there is an Xbox option. how to activate I don't know!

You can now send video to the xbox one if play to streaming option is on, this even works on iPhones when using youtube app. I still have the preview dashboard fir October that's when it first appeared .

Furp wrote: »
    You can now send video to the xbox one if play to streaming option is on, this even works on iPhones when using youtube app. I still have the preview dashboard fir October that's when it first appeared .

It's always worked on the YouTube app. Even on the 360, but we're on about casting the entire screen no matter what you're doing on our tv through the Xbox. I really need to by a chromecast, been meaning to for a while now. Anyone know where to get one cheaper than 30?

got mine for £18 on Amazon couple months back, worth every penny

got mine for £18 on Amazon couple months back, worth every penny

I meant *BUY not by.

£18? Shwweet. Back to £30 now :/

Sorry for going off thread, talking about chromecast :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭calex71

MiskyBoyy wrote: »
    I meant *BUY not by.

£18? Shwweet. Back to £30 now :/

Sorry for going off thread, talking about chromecast :p

Save your money lad, they are S H 1 T support is pretty poor and by default they can't cast local media, media has to be in "the cloud" you are at the mercy of apps supporting casting. Ok there are a few you can side load like plex that are worth it but not cost of a chromecast or paying for an app worth it, there are free alternatives but again most likely all oyur stuff is on a laptop/desktop. If you have a smart tv a chromecast is redundant here.

A chromecast is a bit like a proxy , you can;t install any apps on it etc, you have to send to it using a compatible phone or tablet so not like a roku etc

• Registered Users Posts: 4,960 ✭✭✭Liamalone

Anybody have a steering wheel for the Xbox One? If so, is it any use? Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 1,653 ✭✭✭Nolimits

calex71 wrote: »
    Save your money lad, they are S H 1 T support is pretty poor and by default they can't cast local media, media has to be in "the cloud" you are at the mercy of apps supporting casting. Ok there are a few you can side load like plex that are worth it but not cost of a chromecast or paying for an app worth it, there are free alternatives but again most likely all oyur stuff is on a laptop/desktop. If you have a smart tv a chromecast is redundant here.

A chromecast is a bit like a proxy , you can;t install any apps on it etc, you have to send to it using a compatible phone or tablet so not like a roku etc

Again I know this is off thread, but I wouldn't be without my chromecast, I literally use it every day though only with apps we're not allowed to mention. It's changed how I.... er acquire media.

Alright anyone got any help for me. I pre-ordered and have been trying to pre-load CoD: Advanced Warfare for the past week. Initially, it got to 55% and was then stuck there for about 2 days. I've since cancelled the entire download. Cleared alternate MAC address and cleared persistent storage as suggested by tech support chat. It's now on 28% after starting it yesterday or the night before. Right there, it was after changing from 'Installing' to 'Queud' even tho there was nothing else installing. So I clicked on it and selected resume installaton. It then continued installing but went from 28% back to 25% again. It's driving me crazy. Any ideas?

• Advertisement

It was on 30% there, went to use an app that required an update, it updated and when the CoD download resumed it was back to 25% again. OMFG :mad: :mad: :mad:

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement