Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Xbox One General Discussion - Part 2 (Please Read 1st Post)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,431 ✭✭✭rottie 11

How do i turn off media sharing ? I was told it would improve my connection?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,507 ✭✭✭runawaybishop

Liamalone wrote: »
    Why on earth do you have to be connected to Live for your 'pins' to be available? Downright stoopid that is

Pins are tied to your account, not the console. If you go to a mates all your pins and last played games/apps are shown.

The console is horrendous if you are offline.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 422 ✭✭wrt40

That update is out, you can play movies off an external drive or memory stick, but you cant use that same drive as your games storage. it has to be USB 3.0 and above (I think 250gigs)

According to this the xbox will see it as one drive while keeping ability to move files from one to the other. Also says you can play games off external drive and can even improve performance with a ssd.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-2014-xbox-one-external-hard-drive-upgrade-guide

• Closed Accounts Posts: 422 ✭✭wrt40

wrt40 wrote: »
    According to this the xbox will see it as one drive while keeping ability to move files from one to the other. Also says you can play games off external drive and can even improve performance with a ssd.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-2014-xbox-one-external-hard-drive-upgrade-guide

This makes the cod bundle look like a bad deal. Extra €100 for 500gb storage.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,960 ✭✭✭Liamalone

Right, had this yok for a month now nearly and .... is it just me or is it really just one slow piece of kit. In game menus, push a button and wait. In dashboard, select an app or more or less do anything and you have to wait while it loads.

Having had an Xbox 360 since '07, and never thought of getting a Playstation, I have to say that for a next gen console that it is one slow heap of stuff. I'd love a PS4 for a few days to compare.

One year since launch and I'm far from impressed :(

Edit: hardware-wise, add two faulty controllers and I think that the headphone connection thingy is of awful design (seems too hard to disconnect without thinking you're about to break it) then I'm actually really disappointed.

Edit II: the shiny surface on the console and the power brick scratch way too easy, I've taken great care, I thought, but they are scratched to **** after a month.

Disappointed^2

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 555 ✭✭✭-Toppy-

Liamalone wrote: »
    Right, had this yok for a month now nearly and .... is it just me or is it really just one slow piece of kit. In game menus, push a button and wait. In dashboard, select an app or more or less do anything and you have to wait while it loads.

Having had an Xbox 360 since '07, and never thought of getting a Playstation, I have to say that for a next gen console that it is one slow heap of stuff. I'd love a PS4 for a few days to compare.

One year since launch and I'm far from impressed :(

Edit: hardware-wise, add two faulty controllers and I think that the headphone connection thingy is of awful design (seems too hard to disconnect without thinking you're about to break it) then I'm actually really disappointed.

Edit II: the shiny surface on the console and the power brick scratch way too easy, I've taken great care, I thought, but they are scratched to **** after a month.

Disappointed^2

Id say do a hard reset (hold down the power button for 10 secs) and see if that sorts it out

Also maybe set your DNS to 8.8.8.8 as some of stuff is feed live and requires a nippy DNS lookup

Does anyone know how the Xbox TV tuner works?

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Official-Xbox-One-Digital-Tuner/dp/B00E97HVJI

I know its not in Ireland yet, but I presume you need an Free to Air box to plug into? Or can it stream from a sky/upc box too?
    Cheers
    Toppy

• Registered Users Posts: 8,799 ✭✭✭MiskyBoyy

-Toppy- wrote: »

I know its not in Ireland yet, but I presume you need an Free to Air box to plug into? Or can it stream from a sky/upc box too?
    Cheers
    Toppy

You just need to plug an aerial into that tv tuner and connect the tv tuner to the xbox via usb port. No need for a freeview box as the xbox acts as the freeview box. You'll get your typical Irish channels, Rte, Tv3 etc

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭calex71

Cheers
    Toppy

Argos have them for 30.99
    Supports free to air DVB-T and DVB-T2 as well as DVB-C television standards.

calex71 wrote: »
    Argos have them for 30.99

I must remember never to trust what I read on websites :)

http://www.siliconrepublic.com/digital-life/item/37912-microsoft-to-bring-30-tv-t

(They have a MS Rep saying it doesnt work in Ireland)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,393 ✭✭✭Fingleberries

Cheers
    Toppy
    This looks like it is just a DVB-T2 receiver (similar to the ones used for FreeviewHD), it attaches to one of the USB ports. You would need an Aerial to attach to it (not cable or satelite) and it 'should' pick up Saorview channels.

I believe it allows you to pause live TV for up to 30 mins. It does not work as a DVR, though, allowing you to record or schedule recording of programs.

If you use this rather than the HDMI-In for your TV, you can 'forward' the TV channels to your SmartGlass device, similar to a Slingbox.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,507 ✭✭✭runawaybishop

I must remember never to trust what I read on websites :)

http://www.siliconrepublic.com/digital-life/item/37912-microsoft-to-bring-30-tv-t

(They have a MS Rep saying it doesnt work in Ireland)

Not sure how accurate that article is, Ireland is a premium tv locale.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭calex71

This looks like it is just a DVB-T2 receiver (similar to the ones used for FreeviewHD), it attaches to one of the USB ports. You would need an Aerial to attach to it (not cable or satelite) and it 'should' pick up Saorview channels.

I believe it allows you to pause live TV for up to 30 mins. It does not work as a DVR, though, allowing you to record or schedule recording of programs.

If you use this rather than the HDMI-In for your TV, you can 'forward' the TV channels to your SmartGlass device, similar to a Slingbox.

Think that they confirmed that this is currently not working on android devices, which most would have :(

• Registered Users Posts: 3,393 ✭✭✭Fingleberries

calex71 wrote: »
    Think that they confirmed that this is currently not working on android devices, which most would have :(
    Currently not working. They will probably get it up in a future SmartGlass update (at the rate they are going). Probably one of the reasons that it's only out in select markets so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 731 ✭✭✭jimbob_jones

Saw this over on Engadget about the Tv Tuner, it's confirmed to stream to IOS and Windows with Android coming soon.

Nvm, I just L2R :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,499 ✭✭✭Shred

Saw this over on Engadget about the Tv Tuner, it's confirmed to stream to IOS and Windows with Android coming soon.

I saw that video earlier, very cool. I packed in sky a few weeks ago so this will be perfect for watching the match tomorrow night (my tv in the sitting room isn't saorview compatible).

• Registered Users Posts: 363 ✭✭beercr8te

Shred wrote: »
    I saw that video earlier, very cool. I packed in sky a few weeks ago so this will be perfect for watching the match tomorrow night (my tv in the sitting room isn't saorview compatible).

Will it work over her though?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,795 ✭✭✭dulux99

Anyone ever had an issue with their Xbox one flickering during games? Happened me quite a few times tonight when playing Fifa, awfully annoying

• Registered Users Posts: 1,611 ✭✭✭tony1980

dulux99 wrote: »
    Anyone ever had an issue with their Xbox one flickering during games? Happened me quite a few times tonight when playing Fifa, awfully annoying

Screen going black for a few seconds, then returns to normal?

• Advertisement

beercr8te wrote: »
    Will it work over her though?

It should do as it's DVB-T/DVB-T2 compatible:

http://www.saortv.info/tv-via-aerial/saorview-reception/

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=69295399&postcount=4

Oh an Argos don't have them in stock and they're not sure when (if at all) they'll be getting them at this present time.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,960 ✭✭✭Liamalone

TV tuner is only released this Friday the 24th I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,133 ✭✭✭GottaGetGatt

I've a saorview TV and if I press the one guide, all the channels come up, can't view them though obviously, might pick that yoke up though, it'll be handy

• Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭Stone Deaf 4evr

How is the tv tuner yolk different to an existing set top box (apart from being able to push the tv signal to your phone?)

I've a ferguson set top box with the HDMI going into the xbox. I can use the oneguide to change channels etc no problem.

In addition to 'slinging' the signal to a compatible mobile device you can use live pause/rewind/forward as it will also store up to 30 minutes of TV once you have it enabled, it will also maintain this in the back ground while gaming. You can also continue to view TV on a mobile device while gaming (if someone else wants to watch TV for instance).

• Registered Users Posts: 585 ✭✭✭alpahaeagle

is anyone using the one guide for Eircom evision. the one guide is setup but I am unable to get the xbox one to change channels or power on the box.
    I have tried the setup but still does not work.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭Stone Deaf 4evr

is anyone using the one guide for Eircom evision. the one guide is setup but I am unable to get the xbox one to change channels or power on the box.
    I have tried the setup but still does not work.

what happens when the xbox sends the signal to turn off the set top box?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,207 ✭✭✭miralize

Anyone know where I could find a controller for cheap? My second controller has a weird bug where it keeps going upwards on its own, no user input... And I really CBA dealing with Microsoft over it for warranty etc...

• Registered Users Posts: 9,202 ✭✭✭maximoose

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,121 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

miralize wrote: »
    Anyone know where I could find a controller for cheap? My second controller has a weird bug where it keeps going upwards on its own, no user input... And I really CBA dealing with Microsoft over it for warranty etc...

Someone posted in a different thread that little woods had them for 39

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement