Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Xbox One General Discussion - Part 2 (Please Read 1st Post)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,960 ✭✭✭Liamalone

Screw you Xbox, the controllers are a piece of ****!

Story goes like this:

- Bought Xbox on Fifa release date, left thumbstick on controller #1 went faulty after an hour of Fifa.
    - Returned controller to Argos, same thing happened to this controller (#2).
    - Returned controller #2 to Microsoft after being assured via live chat that it was a known issue and controllers had been improved.
    - Now left controller-less, so I bought controller #3 from Asda in the meantime and it was grand after playing Fifa for 3 nights for about 3 or 4hrs each night. All was good, this must have been from the new batch I thought. All's looking good :)
    - Controller (#4) then returned from Xbox in Germany and it was a completely new one as I marked the one I sent away. I never even touched this controller as I was giving it to a relation for Xmas and #3 had passed the test by racking up 12+ hours of Fifa without fault.

Then things changed :(

- Turned on Xbox for some Fifa tonight, hadn't played it for about 10 days, controller #3 develops left thumbstick fault during first game. AAAARGH. I then hoped that #3 wasn't from a new batch after all, so I set it aside for a return and crack open controller #4 which was definitely a new super improved left thumbstick version.
    - During the third game of Fifa with controller #4 the left thumbstick goes wonky. Holy grrr aaarghhh ************! There's a bonfire outside and it should go in it lol.

What the hell is going on? I know that I go a bit hard on it during Fifa but I never had this issue with the 360 controllers, heck I still have my original controller from that - bought with PES6 - I've probably replaced the left thumbstick a few times on that because the rubber grip at the top was WORN! If my old 360 controllers never had this issue why on earth is this 'next gen' piece of **** so rubbish? I'm raging here to say the least.

NEXT GEN MY BUTTOCKS.

Argos are going to hear me because I'll fight for a refund if Microsoft don't beg and kiss said buttocks and make me a tester for the next newer improved mk III controller. Tbh, they haven't got much hope, I can only see me switching to the dark side.

/end rant

Edit: restart rant lol. Turned Xbox off to go to pc to type the above, turned it back on and the thing wants an update which decides to come down at dial up speeds. Seriously gfy Microsoft, hello Sony.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,122 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

Liamalone wrote: »
    Screw you Xbox, the controllers are a piece of ****!

Story goes like this:

- Bought Xbox on Fifa release date, left thumbstick on controller #1 went faulty after an hour of Fifa.
    - Returned controller to Argos, same thing happened to this controller (#2).
    - Returned controller #2 to Microsoft after being assured via live chat that it was a known issue and controllers had been improved.
    - Now left controller-less, so I bought controller #3 from Asda in the meantime and it was grand after playing Fifa for 3 nights for about 3 or 4hrs each night. All was good, this must have been from the new batch I thought. All's looking good :)
    - Controller (#4) then returned from Xbox in Germany and it was a completely new one as I marked the one I sent away. I never even touched this controller as I was giving it to a relation for Xmas and #3 had passed the test by racking up 12+ hours of Fifa without fault.

Then things changed :(

- Turned on Xbox for some Fifa tonight, hadn't played it for about 10 days, controller #3 develops left thumbstick fault during first game. AAAARGH. I then hoped that #3 wasn't from a new batch after all, so I set it aside for a return and crack open controller #4 which was definitely a new super improved left thumbstick version.
    - During the third game of Fifa with controller #4 the left thumbstick goes wonky. Holy grrr aaarghhh ************! There's a bonfire outside and it should go in it lol.

What the hell is going on? I know that I go a bit hard on it during Fifa but I never had this issue with the 360 controllers, heck I still have my original controller from that - bought with PES6 - I've probably replaced the left thumbstick a few times on that because the rubber grip at the top was WORN! If my old 360 controllers never had this issue why on earth is this 'next gen' piece of **** so rubbish? I'm raging here to say the least.

NEXT GEN MY BUTTOCKS.

Argos are going to hear me because I'll fight for a refund if Microsoft don't beg and kiss said buttocks and make me a tester for the next newer improved mk III controller. Tbh, they haven't got much hope, I can only see me switching to the dark side.

/end rant

Edit: restart rant lol. Turned Xbox off to go to pc to type the above, turned it back on and the thing wants an update which decides to come down at dial up speeds. Seriously gfy Microsoft, hello Sony.

You must have steamrollers for thumbs. I've never heard of anyone going through a controller that quick let alone four.

I had to send one back to Microsoft myself recently but I've had it since launch so I agree that there's something wrong with the setup on the left side but that's insane man :)

Good luck with the next one !!

I do agree that it's insane Emmet but I can only compare it to my 360 controller which now appears to have been made of titanium compared to these yoks, I'm gutted because I genuinely thought they had sorted it but obviously not. I've always played the same way on Fifa, only thing that has changed its the quality of controller it seems. Ah well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,382 ✭✭✭firestarter51

Liamalone wrote: »
    I do agree that it's insane Emmet but I can only compare it to my 360 controller which now appears to have been made of titanium compared to these yoks, I'm gutted because I genuinely thought they had sorted it but obviously not. I've always played the same way on Fifa, only thing that has changed its the quality of controller it seems. Ah well.
    Never had a problem with my 2 controllers
    I did get a set of thumb stick grips
    For a bit of extra grip

• Registered Users Posts: 8,799 ✭✭✭MiskyBoyy

Wtf do you be doing to your controllers!?? Have mine since launch day. Use it a LOTTT and still perfect, apart from a little bit of wear in the stick grips!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,420 ✭✭✭FAILSAFE 00

MiskyBoyy wrote: »
    Wtf do you be doing to your controllers!?? Have mine since launch day. Use it a LOTTT and still perfect, apart from a little bit of wear in the stick grips!

Same.

The analog sticks are much more precise on the XB1 controller. The cost of this is that the analogs aren't as sturdy as the XB360 controller.

You must be murdering that left stick ;)

Guys, all I can compare this to is my 360 controller, sturdy beast it was, why can I not expect the same from 'next gen' controllers. Whenever I think on it, I'm 36, been playing consoles since the NES - that's over twenty years - I have NEVER had bother with controllers (bar dodgy Japanese ones from eBay for the ps2 but they were too cheap to be true lol).

Think what you wish, yes I admit I do pressure the left thumbstick on Fifa but the 'last gen' controller on the Xbox 360 sucked it up and spat it out like a boss. The Xbox One controller is sub standard, simple.

With regard to the 'dark side' controller links above, this too late to investigate that but thanks for the info, will digest tomorrow. Ta

Edit: no odds, I pity the Microsoft rep that finds me speaking to them in the morning, poor sod.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭Stone Deaf 4evr

look on the positive side liam,we're heading into turkey season,and a man with such manual fortitude as yourself is going to be in high demand breaking necks for the next few weeks. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,835 ✭✭✭✭cloud493

Sorry to butt in chaps, I'm on the verge of buying an xbox one, I'm just curious of a few things

1. How is the controller?
    2. Is it quiet/cool?
    3. What games is there to anticipate? Sunset overdrive, halo MCC and titan fall look fun.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Captain Chaos

cloud493 wrote: »
    Sorry to butt in chaps, I'm on the verge of buying an xbox one, I'm just curious of a few things

2. Is it quiet/cool?
    3. What games is there to anticipate? Sunset overdrive, halo MCC and titan fall look fun.

The controller is quality, it's the best console controller going imo like the 360 before it but this improves on it. Only downside is have to fork out for the play and charge kit. It's a quiet and cool as the PS4 but it has a power brick that takes alot of heat away from the console that the PS4 deals with itself. CAn't upgrade the internal HDD and there is a slim X1 on the way.

I'm holding out for the slim 1Tb sku before I re-buy back inot Xbox as the X1 as is, is huge when you have it sitting beside a PS4. The X1 is bigger than a phat PS3.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,528 ✭✭✭Lucious Sweet

The controller is quality, it's the best console controller going imo like the 360 before it but this improves on it. Only downside is have to fork out for the play and charge kit. It's a quiet and cool as the PS4 but it has a power brick that takes alot of heat away from the console that the PS4 deals with itself. CAn't upgrade the internal HDD and there is a slim X1 on the way.

I'm holding out for the slim 1Tb sku before I re-buy back inot Xbox as the X1 as is, is huge when you have it sitting beside a PS4. The X1 is bigger than a phat PS3.

Very tempted myself too with the deals around. I imagine it'll be a while yet before a slim version is released. This time next year maybe.

Very tempted myself too with the deals around. I imagine it'll be a while yet before a slim version is released. This time next year maybe.

AMD have already manage to shrink the die of the APU from 28nm down to 20nm. Cheaper to make and draws less power. The APU alone costs around $50s of the price tag. I wouldn't say it's too far off, maybe 6 months. To me the X1 is a rushed design with the amount of free space inside the box.

This would enable MS to either increase their profit margin or lower the price point even further. It will help lower the energy bills of consumer a bit too.

Well now I'm indecisive whether to get one or not :P

Well now I'm indecisive whether to get one or not :P

do you like playing games? do you like using the generally accepted superior controller and better online network?

then jump in. a slim console that might be smaller by 25mm all round shouldnt be a reason to hold off on buying. the hdd issue can be solved with a cheap external drive. and I wouldnt bet on the slim console being cheaper. with the price cuts being made already, id imagine theyll try and start turning a better profit margin on the console again.

I want one, I'm just not sure the steady games supply is there. I mean halo/sunset overdrive for the rest of the year is good, but whats out next year?

CAn't upgrade the internal HDD and there is a slim X1 on the way.

Woah, hang on. Afaik, you CAN upgrade the internal HDD, you'd just void your warranty by doing so. I'll be doing it to mine sometime in the new year as my warranty runs out in a couple of weeks.

Quantum Break, Below and D4 are all ones I'd be interested in myself. I'd pick up an X1 for them, Halo MCC, Forza 5/H2 and Sunset Overdrive. That would justify the console to me.

2. Is it quiet/cool?

There's also EA Access on the Xbox ONE which gives you Battlefield 4, Fifa 14, Need for Speed, Plants vz Zombies Garden Warfare, Madden 25 & Peggle 2 all for €25 per year. With more games being added the whole time. Also, you get to play ALL EA games 5 days before their release date for 6 hours, the full game, you get achievements from it and any progress you gain, carries over to the full game if you choose to purchase it. As well as 10% off the RRP.

MiskyBoyy wrote: »
    There's also EA Access on the Xbox ONE which gives you Battlefield 4, Fifa 14, Need for Speed, Plants vz Zombies Garden Warfare, Madden 25 & Peggle 2 all for €25 per year. With more games being added the whole time. Also, you get to play ALL EA games 5 days before their release date for 6 hours, the full game, you get achievements from it and any progress you gain, carries over to the full game if you choose to purchase it. As well as 10% off the RRP.

yup. bargain of the year right there. and if you can find someone to game share with you, you can halve the cost of your games

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,653 ✭✭✭Nolimits

I want one, I'm just not sure the steady games supply is there. I mean halo/sunset overdrive for the rest of the year is good, but whats out next year?

Assassin's Creed looks amazing, that's out in the next two weeks Quantam break looks very good as well. That deal that Argos are doing is ridiculous, you get Forza Horizon 2 with that, I don't like racing games but after playing the demo I went and bought it.

I was actually thinking if I get the argos deal and sell all the games, I'l get the console for €290 roughly :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,678 ✭✭✭TrustedApple

Question for people

I just about to buy 3 German Xbox one games on adverts for 45 euros the question that i am wondering is are they in english does anyone know ?.

As years ago i used to buy PSP games in France no problem and they where in english

Nolimits wrote: »
    Assassin's Creed looks amazing, that's out in the next two weeks Quantam break looks very good as well. That deal that Argos are doing is ridiculous, you get Forza Horizon 2 with that, I don't like racing games but after playing the demo I went and bought it.

He already has a (other console), Assassin's Creed is not an exclusive but the X1 deal getting AC 4 and 5 together if you never played 4 is very good. That and Ubi gimped the (other) version of Unity to match the X1 version graphically because of the package deal too is a kick in the stones to Sony customers.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,420 ✭✭✭FAILSAFE 00

He already has a (other console), Assassin's Creed is not an exclusive but the X1 deal getting AC 4 and 5 together if you never played 4 is very good. That and Ubi gimped the (other) version of Unity to match the X1 version graphically because of the package deal too is a kick in the stones to Sony customers.

That story about gimping the PS4 version to suit the XB1 wasn't true. Neither console had enough CPU to handle AC Unity in 1080p.

It makes sense when we look at Watch dogs which was only 900p on the PS4. Ubisoft are putting a lot into each AI character in the game and some scenes have hundreds of AI.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 7,405 Mod ✭✭✭✭pleasant Co.

That story about gimping the PS4 version to suit the XB1 wasn't true. Neither console had enough CPU to handle AC Unity in 1080p.

I've read quite a few articles stating the former but exactly zero stating the latter, could you provide some substantiation?

• Registered Users Posts: 933 ✭✭✭Furp

I have a 2tb external drive connected to my xbox, haven't even uses the internal one yet, in my case I already had the drive so it wasn't an extra outlay, most of my games are digital so it's well worth it if you have the bb to download in a reasonable time plus the xbox is getting better every month with the firmware updates and Ms are really on the ball here.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,207 ✭✭✭miralize

Yeah I am really impressed with Microsofts monthly update to the Xbox OS.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,382 ✭✭✭firestarter51

Question for people

I just about to buy 3 German Xbox one games on adverts for 45 euros the question that i am wondering is are they in english does anyone know ?.

As years ago i used to buy PSP games in France no problem and they where in english

select english and you will be ok
    ryse zoo tycoon and kinect sports rivals is good for 35 euro

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

A fair few mentions of PS4 over the last few posts...can I just remind folks of the full thread title :) We tried being able to compare both machines in one thread before & it didn't work out very well.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement