Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Xbox One General Discussion - Part 2 (Please Read 1st Post)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,507 ✭✭✭runawaybishop

rottie 11 wrote: »
    Do ye know what the "detailed network statistics" is for in xb1 settings? Is it accurate

Download speed 13.44
    Upload speed 0.60
    Packet loss 1%
    MTU 1480
    Latency 167ms

Wtf is packet loss and mtu?

And are those results ok?

Its accurate in that the results are what the console is getting when it does a speed test. If your own pc on the same network gets higher results then you might have an issue. Packet loss is basically quality, how much data is dropped. MTU is how big teh chunks of data can be.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,431 ✭✭✭rottie 11

Its accurate in that the results are what the console is getting when it does a speed test. If your own pc on the same network gets higher results then you might have an issue. Packet loss is basically quality, how much data is dropped. MTU is how big teh chunks of data can be.

Ah rite , im on a 24meg package and getting 13 so thats not bad but why do i lag so much then? Is it because of upload speed?

Ah rite , im on a 24meg package and getting 13 so thats not bad but why do i lag so much then? Is it because of upload speed?

Could be a number of things but your upload does look low alright. Your ping/latency isnt amazing either - are you on wireless?
    #
    edit: also, what is your NAT type?

Could be a number of things but your upload does look low alright. Your ping/latency isnt amazing either - are you on wireless?
    #
    edit: also, what is your NAT type?

No i have a long cable straight to the modem, nat is open. Not sure about latency but upload is always very low

• Registered Users Posts: 2,133 ✭✭✭GottaGetGatt

im on a wired and my ping is always at 150ms.My upload was low as well and i just opened the ports and it went back to normal.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Captain Chaos

Your ping is massive, that's why you are getting lag. That should be 50-60ms at the highest to get a decent connection. Anything over that is unplayable regardless of your speed.

Your ping is massive, that's why you are getting lag. That should be 50-60ms at the highest to get a decent connection. Anything over that is unplayable regardless of your speed.

Is there anythin i can do about it?

• Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭Raymond Pest

Is there anythin i can do about it?

Your ping is going to be high on the xbox network statistics because its sent to a server in Seattle. I'm on upc wired to the xbox and im getting 150ms

Your ping is going to be high on the xbox network statistics because its sent to a server in Seattle. I'm on upc wired to the xbox and im getting 150ms

So if i did it on a laptop it should be alot less? I can do a wireless test on my phone, il try that nw

45Ms when i do test on my phone

• Advertisement
  • Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,295 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

That's normal enough ping for network stats on the one.if you do the speed test in Internet explorer you'll get a more accurate ping reading.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,133 ✭✭✭GottaGetGatt

So if i did it on a laptop it should be alot less? I can do a wireless test on my phone, il try that nw

Yeah it's usually around 20ms if I check the line with the phone and laptop, it's just the console, wouldn't worry about it

Yeah it's usually around 20ms if I check the line with the phone and laptop, it's just the console, wouldn't worry about it

Would love to know why i lag so bad then ha has to be the upload

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,340 ✭✭✭deco nate

Would love to know why i lag so bad then ha has to be the upload

Are other people using the broadband at the same time?
    You're upload is not great
    But I think (think) that it
    Should not be causing the lag.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,799 ✭✭✭MiskyBoyy

deco nate wrote: »
    Are other people using the broadband at the same time?
    You're upload is not great
    But I think (think) that it
    Should not be causing the lag.

My upload is only 0.3mb or 300kb, I don't any lag in games at all really unless I'm downloading on laptop which is to be expected!

Its only me and the gf using it and she plays on the 360 . We dont hav a laptop but we have wifi on phones the odd time

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,360 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

Its only me and the gf using it and she plays on the 360 . We dont hav a laptop but we have wifi on phones the odd time

Do you play at the same time? What type of broadband is it (DSL, Cable, Sat)? Loads of things can play into these issues.

0.3 mb is considered to be the barest minimum for Xbox Live, so you are above that, but not by much to be honest. It's almost certainly your upload speed that is causing the issue, and while some people will have some joy with low broadband speeds, it appears to be an issue for you.

Perhaps try the broadband forum, there's some very knowledgeable posters in there that might be able to help.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Captain Chaos

Mickeroo wrote: »
    That's normal enough ping for network stats on the one.if you do the speed test in Internet explorer you'll get a more accurate ping reading.

I do my speed tests on my PC all the time and never get over 80ms unless there is a problem on UPC's side.

The console speeds test and never accurate for anything imo.

I do my speed tests on my PC all the time and never get over 80ms unless there is a problem on UPC's side.

The console speeds test and never accurate for anything imo.

The console speed tests are the only thing that will tell you what ping the console gets to MS servers. Doing speeed tests on your pc to an Irish speedtest server aren't much use for finding out your gaming ping etc.

The console speed tests are the only thing that will tell you what ping the console gets to MS servers. Doing speeed tests on your pc to an Irish speedtest server aren't much use for finding out your gaming ping etc.

Yeah but you're not going to be connected to a server in Seattle every time you game online either.

• Advertisement

MiskyBoyy wrote: »
    Yeah but you're not going to be connected to a server in Seattle every time you game online either.

Very much depends on the game itself but not many will be hosted on server in Ireland.

Very much depends on the game itself but not many will be hosted on server in Ireland.

Maybe true but will more than likely be server in UK or mainland Europe at the worst, not Seattle! :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 534 ✭✭✭vlad2009

Just got forza horizon 2, dying to play it! traded in a controller for it

Maybe true but will more than likely be server in UK or mainland Europe at the worst, not Seattle! :eek:

MS have servers in mainland Europe, the ping test goes to the regional servers. As i said already, speedtest.net when you ping a server in Ireland will not give you a more accurate result than the consoles own test.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,360 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

Dublin is the location the Microsoft Azure data centre for Europe, so IF the game has dedicated servers, and IF they are hosted by Microsoft, then it'll be in hosted on a server in Dublin. (Titanfall would be an example)

If a game has dedicated servers controlled by the publisher, then they could be anywhere.

If a game has Peer-to-Peer hosting, then it'll be relatively random, at the whims of the matchmaking god.

CatInABox wrote: »
    If a game has Peer-to-Peer hosting, then it'll be relatively random, at the whims of the matchmaking god.

It'll be whoever has the fastest ping, best up/down and open NAT. Though I've had issues even on open to open NATs :(

You can now get the Dominos Pizza app on Xbox ONE App marketplace.

Didn't expect it to be compatible with Ireland but it is, that's deadly! :D

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,295 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

You can now get the Dominos Pizza app on Xbox ONE App marketplace.

Didn't expect it to be compatible with Ireland but it is, that's deadly! :D

They're trying to kill us.

Xbox One year anniversary
    everyone** will get:

A Year One Gamer Picture
    New Xbox One backgrounds: A special Year One background as well as an exclusive Day One background for those who unlocked the Day One achievement
    A Year One background image for use on Twitter, your desktop, etc.
    A free rental of “Halo 4: Forward Unto Dawn” (for a limited time)
    A free rental of “Dragon Ball Z: Battle of the Gods” movie and a sampler pack of “Dragon Ball Z” TV episodes (for a limited time, available in the U.S. and Canada only)

There's a fair amount of prizes, but a lot of them are US Only. Microsoft seems determined to prove that they're an American company. Disappointing in the age of the internet, to be honest.

• Advertisement

Well this certainly sounds interesting!

"Console matchmaking app developer Overdog has netted $1.8 million in funding, VentureBeat reports, as it prepares to launch an Xbox One app that allows players to find each other via shared interests instead of random matchmaking.

Investors include Atlas Venture and Chicago Ventures as well as Zynga co-founder Mark Pincus and Machinima founder Allen Debevoise.

"If you love Game of Thrones, the San Fransisco 49ers, The Black Keys, and OpTic Gaming, we think those factors should help determine who you play with when you sit down for a game of Call of Duty," Overdog president Hunter Hillenmeyer -- a former NFL player -- told VentureBeat. "

Link

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement