Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Xbox One General Discussion - Part 2 (Please Read 1st Post)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,799 ✭✭✭MiskyBoyy

Okay, I found a very annoying thing about xbox one. If you have it set on stand by mode and then turn it off, it's still makes humming sound from power supply fan. It does not go in to full silent mode.
    It would be grand if xbox would be in loving room, but it is in my bedroom.
    If you put it in to powercsaving mode, can you still turn it on with controller, or only from console itself? I had no chance to try it today.

If anyones going to find something annoying about the Xbox, it's going to be ShadowHearth! :pac:

I think there was something a while back on here about a faulty batch Argos had, not sure where you got yours. But there xbox's were noisy when they shouldn't be.

I've never noticed any sound from my Xbox at all :confused:

Yeah you can still use your controller to turn it on when it's in power saving mode :)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭Stone Deaf 4evr

Okay, I found a very annoying thing about xbox one. If you have it set on stand by mode and then turn it off, it's still makes humming sound from power supply fan. It does not go in to full silent mode.
    If you put it in to powercsaving mode, can you still turn it on with controller, or only from console itself? I had no chance to try it today.

is it downloading an update or something? theres a fan in the power supply I think? anyway - mine is completely silent when on standby, but it can hum away for a little bit if its hot when i turn it off.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,767 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

I purchased the HK credit this morning but haven't received the code yet. Just emailed customer service and here's the response:
    "I am sorry to inform you that the item Xbox Gift Card (HKD 150) ( Hong
    Kong) is not in stock as of the moment. We will immediately send the code
    once we already have it.

We apologized for the inconvenience caused. "

Thanks! I emailed them too but got no response yet. Hopefully it will come before the deal on the game goes :)

Thanks again to everyone so far with these deals, especially the titanfall one.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,302 ✭✭✭madcabbage

Your console is probably downloading an update at night, I've had the same problem. You should be still able to power up the xbox with the controller, can't see why it wouldn't.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,133 ✭✭✭GottaGetGatt

I suppose you can always just plug it out?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 7,405 Mod ✭✭✭✭pleasant Co.

It's definitely downloading an update or something ShadowHearth, it will be silent in standby mode when it's not doing anything, just like the ps4.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

It's definitely downloading an update or something ShadowHearth, it will be silent in standby mode when it's not doing anything, just like the ps4.

It is not downloading anything while I have the yoke on. It does have that fan on now second night in a row. I even checked today after work and it's still does the sound. It's 100mb broadband, so Wtf could it be still downloading for 2 days...

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 7,405 Mod ✭✭✭✭pleasant Co.

It is not downloading anything while I have the yoke on. It does have that fan on now second night in a row. I even checked today after work and it's still does the sound. It's 100mb broadband, so Wtf could it be still downloading for 2 days...

Test the theory for me, unplug from the internet, as in disconnect your wifi connection or physically remove the ethernet cable and then enter standby mode. If the fan still sounds then something is awry.

I suppose you can always just plug it out?

How would that be not retarded with a tech from 2013...

Test the theory for me, unplug from the internet, as in disconnect your wifi connection or physically remove the ethernet cable and then enter standby mode. If the fan still sounds then something is awry.

Did that and sound still stays. It's like humming sound. It's not the main fan as I can hear it go off when it goes in to stand by. So I presume it is psu fan then?
    Tried power saving mode and it shot down completely with no sounds at all.

When console in menus and not under the load, should it even make much sound at all?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,611 ✭✭✭tony1980

Where did you buy it?

The fan on the psu runs constantly when powered (although should not be running when in standby unless the x1 is doing something). Side by side the X1 is noisier than the PS4, but not significantly. It really should not be making noise in standby if the X1 is not doing anything.

The fan on the psu runs constantly when powered (although should not be running when in standby unless the x1 is doing something). Side by side the X1 is noisier than the PS4, but not significantly. It really should not be making noise in standby if the X1 is not doing anything.

Just googled it and looks like that sound is due to power brick. A lot of people have that issue and ask for a replacement. Problem is that community is 50/50 about it. Some say it should be like this, other say that power brick should be silent, specially in stand by mode.

It is really annoying sound, specially for a bedroom.

Just googled it and looks like that sound is due to power brick. A lot of people have that issue and ask for a replacement. Problem is that community is 50/50 about it. Some say it should be like this, other say that power brick should be silent, specially in stand by mode.

All I can say is if mine did that I'd be returning it, it would be very annoying.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,350 ✭✭✭naughto

Does it disturbe you when your having a Tommy tank?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,795 ✭✭✭sweetie

as tempted as I am by cheap Asians its not that long ago my 360 was banned from live for downloading the free games from Bosnia!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,420 ✭✭✭FAILSAFE 00

Myrddin wrote: »
    The more info we get on this the better. To play devils advocate for a moment, the very fact that there exists such thing as a 'valid payment method', suggests that MS are happy to have you buying from various regions, assuming you live/work/travel etc...it doesn't suggest they're ok with using false/fake addresses...

No fake address needed for the HK Xbox prepaid card so thats 100% valid.

All I can say is if mine did that I'd be returning it, it would be very annoying.

Right, I called my friend, who is a pure xbox boy and asked him about it. He said it is perfectly normal and every single one of his friends has this sound and that's just the way xbox one operates when in stand by mode. He even said that when he is annoyed by sound he just shuts it's down manually...

So I am super confused now. Am I too critical and expected something more of the Xbox one or it is really fecked...
    I don't want to go and replace the damn thing as I already downloaded a bazillion updates and games stuff...

naughto wrote: »
    Does it disturbe you when your having a Tommy tank?

Huh?

I guess just fully shut it down so.

• Advertisement

Trilla wrote: »
    Thanks! I emailed them too but got no response yet. Hopefully it will come before the deal on the game goes :)

Thanks again to everyone so far with these deals, especially the titanfall one.

When I bought the code this morning it was 4pm Hong Kong time so I'd say by the time you ordered they were closed for the day. Its currently 4:29am there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

No fake address needed for the HK Xbox prepaid card so thats 100% valid.

The prepaid cards thing seem to be the only sticking point at the mo, the other methods require either a vpn or fake address details correct?

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,296 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

I had to supply a fake billing address to use a gift card on the US store.

Sounds like you and your friends all got consoles with an issue. I will ask again, where did you buy it?

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,296 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

I only use instant on if I'm downloading a game otherwise I shut it down fully. I only have 3mb internet so it's necessary to leave it working overnight but with 100mb Internet you should be fine just shutting it down at night time if the noise is that bothersome for you.

tony1980 wrote: »
    Sounds like you and your friends all got consoles with an issue. I will ask again, where did you buy it?

Gamestop. Not being smart, but How will this help?

Mickeroo wrote: »
    I had to supply a fake billing address to use a gift card on the US store.
    I didn't in the Hong Kong purchase, just used the HK Xbox.com website, logged in and redeemed the code.

Another good point is that valid addresses for both of these regions are easily setup, there are services that will provide you with an address for shopping, etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,350 ✭✭✭naughto

Huh?

Do u not no what a Tommy tank is?
    I am only taking the piss any way

As mentioned earlier, a lot of people including myself had issues with consoles from Argos. Myself, I had to return it twice as it was making a crazy amount of noise, albeit, it wasn't from the PSU but that's why I'm asking but you got it from GameStop. I had to download everything again myself, twice and I'm game sharing with someone who has a lot of digital games along with myself but my internet is good so it wasn't too bad.
    Argos were great for returns though and I'm glad I did it as now I have a console that is silent and I'm delighted! You paid a lot of money for this so it would be mad not to return it and get a console without issues which you should have got in the first place, I understand your frustration.

• Advertisement

Mickeroo wrote: »
    I only use instant on if I'm downloading a game otherwise I shut it down fully. I only have 3mb internet so it's necessary to leave it working overnight but with 100mb Internet you should be fine just shutting it down at night time if the noise is that bothersome for you.

Thing is, if it's normal or no. The more I Google the bigger can of worms I open each time. Looks like there are issues with power bricks noise and noise made by consoles themselves due to low quality power supplied to home, which makes transformers in electrical devices extra noisy etc. Then there is some issue with kinectless xbox ones that make sound too.
    A lot of people had their xbox ones swaped and still had the same issue.

I am just going to put it in to power saving mode. It's a shame really as I was thinking of getting second hand kinect for voice commands and that digital tuner.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement