Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Xbox One General Discussion - Part 2 (Please Read 1st Post)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 534 ✭✭✭vlad2009

I've noticed any game I insert in to the drive begins downloading on to the xbox, is this meant to happen? I'm under 200GB already, and only have 2 actual digital games

• Registered Users Posts: 2,133 ✭✭✭GottaGetGatt

vlad2009 wrote: »
    I've noticed any game I insert in to the drive begins downloading on to the xbox, is this meant to happen? I'm under 200GB already, and only have 2 actual digital games

Afraid so. Every disc based game has to be installed onto the console first but can be played at like 12-15% in.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,799 ✭✭✭MiskyBoyy

Shadow you can check if exactly how much data your Xbox is currently using and how much it has used on an hour to hour basis over the past 24 hours or so. Just go to Settings>Network>Bandwidth Usage.

Also, is your PSU plugged straight into the wall or into an extension lead? You're not meant to plug it into multi adapters or extension leads especially with surge protectors as the PSU has it's own surge protector built in already. So try it plugged directly into socket if possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

Right, so I got a chance now to do more of a pin point work with the noise.
    When it was all on the wooden shelf, the noise would be amplified and I could not figure out exactly the source of noise. I did some separation and I can confirm now that all the noise is coming from external power supply and not xbox one itself. The fan is full blast all the time. I'll go to gamestop tomorrow and will bring only power supply and try to get it swaped, lads know me very well so there should be no issues at all. The good news is that it's not the Xbox one itself issue. Hopefully it's all going to be over tomorrow!

I would like to say thanks to good few people who actually were a help and had a good and smart things to say. It's easy to get frustrated, when you know that most likely you will need to replace a product you just got.
    And to those who think that I BOUGHT xbox one just to be able to troll and moan about it on this forum: you can go and kiss you know what.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭calex71

Right, so I got a chance now to do more of a pin point work with the noise.
    When it was all on the wooden shelf, the noise would be amplified and I could not figure out exactly the source of noise. I did some separation and I can confirm now that all the noise is coming from external power supply and not xbox one itself. The fan is full blast all the time. I'll go to gamestop tomorrow and will bring only power supply and try to get it swaped, lads know me very well so there should be no issues at all. The good news is that it's not the Xbox one itself issue. Hopefully it's all going to be over tomorrow!

I would like to say thanks to good few people who actually were a help and had a good and smart things to say. It's easy to get frustrated, when you know that most likely you will need to replace a product you just got.
    And to those who think that I BOUGHT xbox one just to be able to troll and moan about it on this forum: you can go and kiss you know what.

You are trolling pal , banned.

• Advertisement
  • Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,296 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

MiskyBoyy wrote: »

Also, is your PSU plugged straight into the wall or into an extension lead? You're not meant to plug it into multi adapters or extension leads especially with surge protectors as the PSU has it's own surge protector built in already. So try it plugged directly into socket if possible.

Oh that one is news to me, I better rectify that now!

What happens if you have no choice but to use an extension lead?

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 7,405 Mod ✭✭✭✭pleasant Co.

MiskyBoyy has to provide more information on this whole extension lead scandal :P

It's grand like. I use an extension lead 95% of the time myself :P

but if it does stop working some day don't freak out. Always try a different socket first of all. It happened me, change of socket fixed it.

Happened my friend a month ago too he was freaking out thought it was broke lol. I told him to plug it straight into the wall and hey presto, worked again. I think it just triggers the built in surge protector sometimes so it protects itself.

This is taken from Xbox.com support page "Note If the PSU is making excessive noise, you might have a power board or surge protector that is overloaded. Plug your PSU directly into a wall socket and see if the problem persists." - Source

Nobody seems to read the manuals these days. This pic was on one of the manuals or leaflets that came with the xbox:

7bd36011-4572-48f6-a2ab-ae82f54c576c.png?n=one-no-power-strip-m.png

• Registered Users Posts: 5,420 ✭✭✭FAILSAFE 00

It's grand like. I use an extension lead 95% of the time myself :P

but if it does stop working some day don't freak out. Always try a different socket first of all. It happened me, change of socket fixed it.

Happened my friend a month ago too he was freaking out thought it was broke lol. I told him to plug it straight into the wall and hey presto, worked again. I think it just triggers the built in surge protector sometimes so it protects itself.

This is taken from Xbox.com support page "Note If the PSU is making excessive noise, you might have a power board or surge protector that is overloaded. Plug your PSU directly into a wall socket and see if the problem persists." - Source

Nobody seems to read the manuals these days. This pic was on one of the manuals or leaflets that came with the xbox:

7bd36011-4572-48f6-a2ab-ae82f54c576c.png?n=one-no-power-strip-m.png

Oh feck :eek:

tdy-110318-cords-4x3-145p.grid-6x2.jpg

• Advertisement

You're lucky that's not really your sockets or else your house would have burned down by now! :P

• Registered Users Posts: 5,328 ✭✭✭dunworth1

MiskyBoyy wrote:
    You're lucky that's not really your sockets or else your house would have burned down by now! 

Crap behind my TV stand looks pretty much like that :0

Ah thanks for the info Misky!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,276 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kingp35

Quick question: I want to buy Fifa 15 for the Xbox One as a birthday present for my brother, if I buy a second hand copy will he have access to online play or will he have to buy an online pass?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,202 ✭✭✭maximoose

Ikea LED lights have solved my games room lighting woes :)

9Yj6ATQ.jpg
    Kingp35 wrote: »
    Quick question: I want to buy Fifa 15 for the Xbox One as a birthday present for my brother, if I buy a second hand copy will he have access to online play or will he have to buy an online pass?

He should be able to play, online passes are gone

• Registered Users Posts: 1,653 ✭✭✭Nolimits

I don't know how much you will spend second hand, but you can get a digital copy from here for €40 https://www.xbox-live.com/en/

• Registered Users Posts: 4,960 ✭✭✭Liamalone

Go to the Fifa forum, there's always folk in there saying they'd get rid of their copy in a heartbeat :P

• Registered Users Posts: 3,789 ✭✭✭nicklauski

Jaysis. I didn't know about the extension lead problem.
    I can't even try plug it straight into the wall cos it's too far away.
    My power brick is quite noisy as well. Unless I'm downloading a game or something, I always power off the Xbox completely.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,795 ✭✭✭sweetie

go digital, seen it on adverts for as little as 25. no resale value in those games anyway

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 7,405 Mod ✭✭✭✭pleasant Co.

I don't have enough plugs to give the x1 priority so it's multiport expansion or nothing, if something comes of this and it becomes an issue (unlikely) then that'll be my relationship with x1 over, what a ****ty reason that'd be to dump the x1!

• Advertisement

I don't have enough plugs to give the x1 priority so it's multiport expansion or nothing, if something comes of this and it becomes an issue (unlikely) then that'll be my relationship with x1 over, what a ****ty reason that'd be to dump the x1!

If it does stop working. You can reset it by plugging it straight into the wall for a while. It should work on extension again.

You could also use a single socket extension lead plugged into it's own socket.

Like I said, I wouldn't be worrying about it. If it hasn't affected you yet, you're probably grand!

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,360 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

BBC iPlayer is out tomorrow apparently.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,202 ✭✭✭maximoose

Will that work without a vpn?

BBC iPlayer is out there now if you click into new releases under Apps.

Just tried play a couple of things and it gives me errors so I'm guessing VPN is required :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭calex71

Just tried play a couple of things and it gives me errors so I'm guessing VPN is required :P

Had a look myself , was a "this is a temporary error" message but if it's anything like the apps or web site it will be geo/ip locked so usual rules apply in terms of not discussing bypassing that here if it proves to be locked out for us.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,360 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

CatInABox wrote: »
    BBC iPlayer is out tomorrow apparently.

Well, that shows me. I should never trust twitter for breaking news.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭Stone Deaf 4evr

As a matter of interest, why do they region lock that, but the 4OD app isn't? is it some licencing deal they have with sky or something?

As a matter of interest, why do they region lock that, but the 4OD app isn't? is it some licencing deal they have with sky or something?

BBC are funded by the british tv license which we do not contribute to, C4 are funded by advertising revenue so our views help them make money to spend on their shows :D

BBC are funded by the british tv license which we do not contribute to, C4 are funded by advertising revenue so our views help them make money to spend on their shows :D

That's what I was thinking but then seen this:

http://www.tvlicensing.co.uk/faqs/FAQ104

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭Stone Deaf 4evr

huh, you;d think they'd be a bit more accomodating to us. specially considering the whole spud fiasco. :pac:

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement