Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Xbox One General Discussion - Part 2 (Please Read 1st Post)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭Stone Deaf 4evr

quad_red wrote: »
    Arse :/

Last night messing around on the X1 I opened the xbox video app - bad mistake. It downloaded an update then I started getting errors about regions (I have the X1 set to US).

And now I can't buy content anymore. Won't accept credit card or paypal (which it did no problem before).

:(

when was the last time you purchased content using those payment methods? most of them have been cut back over the last month. I had my US account set up to use my AIB debit card on the US marketplace, but it doesnt work any more

• Registered Users Posts: 5,561 ✭✭✭quad_red

when was the last time you purchased content using those payment methods? most of them have been cut back over the last month. I had my US account set up to use my AIB debit card on the US marketplace, but it doesnt work any more

Last week.

damn-you.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 5,420 ✭✭✭FAILSAFE 00

quad_red wrote: »
    Last week
    I haven't been able to purchase anything from the US region by card in about a month.

Microsoft upped their payment validation which checks the location base of your payment method.

To get around this successfully, gamers have been buying US Xbox prepay cards from websites like Amazon. They then redeem the code on the console and they are sorted.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,653 ✭✭✭Nolimits

Just thought I'd add to this, I got a new credit card a few days ago, put that in with the usual address changes and it accepted it. I still doubt I'll be able to use it but if anyone else's card is coming up for renewal then never fear.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

The two power modes on the Xbox One, I presume the 'faster boot times & no interruption for updates' mode needs the console to be plugged in all the time, whereas the other is best suited to having the console plugged out at night etc?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 7,405 Mod ✭✭✭✭pleasant Co.

Myrddin wrote: »
    The two power modes on the Xbox One, I presume the 'faster boot times & no interruption for updates' mode needs the console to be plugged in all the time, whereas the other is best suited to having the console plugged out at night etc?

One requires the x1 to be plugged in as it's not actually off, the other setting is off and means you can safely unplug the x1 if needs be.

The the current crop of consoles boot quickly so I set both to their off setting rather than their sorta sleep modes (unless they're downloading updates, in that case switch the modes over)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,431 ✭✭✭rottie 11

How do i set my xb to download games when its off?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,361 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

MOD NOTICE:

Hey Folks

We've got clarification on discussion regarding "Game Sharing" and "Regional Marketplaces", so I'm going to ask you all to take a look at the [thread="2057342221"]"Forum Charter changes regarding "Game Sharing" and "Regional Marketplaces""[/thread] thread, and the [thread="2057093220"]Xbox Forum Charter[/thread].

This is a fairly large change to what's discussed on this forum, so please make sure that you are up to date on the rules, and if you've got any questions, please ask them in that thread, not this one.

CatInABox

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,361 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

rottie 11 wrote: »
    How do i set my xb to download games when its off?

Go to settings
    Select "Power & Start-Up"
    Change "Power Mode" to "Instant On"
    Make sure "Automatically Download Updates and Purchases" is ticked.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

<snip> Mod: Please keep the posts on topic, this was not helpful after your week off

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 534 ✭✭✭vlad2009

sold my 360 today, so its all about the one now. got gta v too, its sweet

• Registered Users Posts: 9,202 ✭✭✭maximoose

Remastered Borderlands on the way?

The amount of remasters is getting a little silly, but I would love this tbh.

maximoose wrote: »

Its bad enough that i dont have time to play the new games that are out :mad:

if this is a double pack like metro redux, it'd be pretty good value for money.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,618 ✭✭✭Mr Freeze

if this is a double pack like metro redux, it'd be pretty good value for money.

With all the DLC too? Imagine that.

We'd never see or hear from Calex again, he would only appear online in Borderlands on the ONE, too weak to even speak on the mic from lack of food and sleep in his 600+ hour long session! :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭calex71

Oh thank god it's only Borderlands 1, if it's a direct PC port I'd be very wary about it , they broke the game after a point and never patched things that needed fixing, I was never able to do TVHM in BL1 due to a bug in one of the first missions in it where you have to turn a quest to get a shield to Dr. Zed :mad:

MOD NOTE: Hardware talk moved to the Hardware thread.

URL SNIP

While there was some indication that the Xbox One sales where going to be on the up in the US, I didn't think that it would be the same in the UK. It's good to see that it is starting to recover some ground, but they'll need years to recover what was lost in this first year.

I still believe that Microsoft need to aggressively drop the price on it even more though.

CatInABox wrote: »
    Xbox One outsells competing consoles.

While there was some indication that the Xbox One sales where going to be on the up in the US, I didn't think that it would be the same in the UK. It's good to see that it is starting to recover some ground, but they'll need years to recover what was lost in this first year.

I still believe that Microsoft need to aggressively drop the price on it even more though.

I reckon that they'll probably keep the price cut in place on the base console,

for all the talk of who gets what exclusives, 1080p etc, price is probably the single biggest factor in sales when it boils down to it. And thats speaking as a parent who's balking at the idea of spending 50 notes on a piece of plastic that sings versus 20 on one that doesnt. (frozen dolls to anyone who's interested:pac:)

I reckon that they'll probably keep the price cut in place on the base console,

for all the talk of who gets what exclusives, 1080p etc, price is probably the single biggest factor in sales when it boils down to it. And thats speaking as a parent who's balking at the idea of spending 50 notes on a piece of plastic that sings versus 20 on one that doesnt. (frozen dolls to anyone who's interested:pac:)

You should go for this one, it'll put the little one right off Frozen.

B4p83-WIUAAKtxW.jpg

CatInABox wrote: »
    You should go for this one, it'll put the little one right off Frozen.

B4p83-WIUAAKtxW.jpg

lol, theres one going round as well on ebay showing a doll frozen in a bucket of ice.

• Advertisement

maximoose wrote: »

This, they're millking they gamers to the max and it is kinda annoying, considering some new games are so half arsed and broken at the start.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,799 ✭✭✭MiskyBoyy

vlad2009 wrote: »
    This, they're millking they gamers to the max and it is kinda annoying, considering some new games are so half arsed and broken at the start.

Meh I don't agree really. It's not as if anyone's being forced to buy it...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭calex71

vlad2009 wrote: »

I would both agree and disagree with you depending on the game.

If the game is older and/or genuinely has some work done to improve it like how they handled Metro Redux I think it's worth while. Others like tomb raider and sleeping dogs I failed to see the need for and were just lazy cash grabs, both fine games though.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,296 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

I'd rather backwards compatability but I never played the first so happy days.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

I understand a metro redux edition as it is a fantastic looking game on pc. So porting it to next gen is no brainer and definitely a good move. That would be one game that really used next gen power compared to old gen.
    Let's look at borderlands. It's cell shaded cartoon graphics. It has style, not graphics behind it. So remastering it for next gen sounds like a wasted effort. All they can do is just bump up resolution as changing models is not good for such type art work

As for xbox one sales - good. I am pretty sure aggressive deals ( which include a lot of games) and that those who already got ps4, now getting a good deal on xbox one had a lot to do with increased sales.
    Argos and gamestop really pushed some good deals on next gen consoles this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,960 ✭✭✭Liamalone

Mickeroo wrote: »
    I'd rather backwards compatability but I never played the first so happy days.

Same here, I never got around to it on the 360.

Backwards compatibility, is this on the horizon or never gonna happen?

I'm guilty of buying remasters myself. Metro redux, and Gta v. But as you've said metro redux actually has some decent work put into it. But I got Gta to leave the last gen completely. But other games I just see no appeal in tbh, to me it's like the nostalgic feeling you get to play a ps2, then when you actually play you realise it was once great but is pretty lame now.

Liamalone wrote: »
    Same here, I never got around to it on the 360.

Backwards compatibility, is this on the horizon or never gonna happen?
    At this stage, I reckon its safe to assume that its never going to happen from a pure hardware point of view (i.e. putting a 360 disc into the one and having it work), but maybe something could be done like sonys streaming tech.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,296 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

At this stage, I reckon its safe to assume that its never going to happen from a pure hardware point of view (i.e. putting a 360 disc into the one and having it work), but maybe something could be done like sonys streaming tech.

Surely it would be pretty easy to make digital games compatible? Would love to be able to access all my digital 360 games.

• Advertisement

Mickeroo wrote: »
    Surely it would be pretty easy to make digital games compatible? Would love to be able to access all my digital 360 games.

I'm not a software engineer, but as far as i know its something to do with the system architecture. the xbox one and ps4 are closer to a pc than their previous incarnations. I think a lot of the remasters etc are coming from the pc versions as opposed to the original console versions.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement