Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Xbox One General Discussion - Part 2 (Please Read 1st Post)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,370 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

Just opened the box on an xbox one last night to see if all was well for Christmas eve and spent all evening getting it to the point that someone could acutely pay fifa on it.
    Out of the box, the console first needed a 500 mb update. That took a while. Then the fifa game needed a 500 mb update even with disc.
    Next we check out forza 5 that came with the bundle. No disc, just the code to download the game. Looking on the net, it's days that download will be over 30 gb. Game says up to 45 gb.
    These are stupidly big downloads when surely supplying it on disc is the more sensible option.
    I can see kids going nuts on Christmas day and parents pulling their hair out just to get the thing up and running never mind downloading a 30 gb game.
    Seems like a bad joke to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,541 ✭✭✭✭Varik

mickdw wrote: »
    Just opened the box on an xbox one last night to see if all was well for Christmas eve and spent all evening getting it to the point that someone could acutely pay fifa on it.
    Out of the box, the console first needed a 500 mb update. That took a while. Then the fifa game needed a 500 mb update even with disc.
    Next we check out forza 5 that came with the bundle. No disc, just the code to download the game. Looking on the net, it's days that download will be over 30 gb. Game says up to 45 gb.
    These are stupidly big downloads when surely supplying it on disc is the more sensible option.
    I can see kids going nuts on Christmas day and parents pulling their hair out just to get the thing up and running never mind downloading a 30 gb game.
    Seems like a bad joke to me.

it's cheaper for them to supply the code

Varik wrote: »
    it's cheaper for them to supply the code

Very short sighted considering the amount of customer dissatisfaction that creates.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭Stone Deaf 4evr

mickdw wrote: »
    Very short sighted considering the amount of customer dissatisfaction that creates.

Surely it's written on the box that they're download codes. And I'd imagine most retailers would make you aware of this anyway. And in fairness, the cost is so low at the moment that any dissatisfaction is surely offset by the savings

• Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭Browning

The economics of disc v download in terms of the overall cost is low when considered against the poor customer experience of downloading 30-80GB games. Its not such an issue for those with decent download speeds and unlimited data allowances. But for those of us living outside major towns/cities downloading is a less than joyous activity.

• Advertisement
  • Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,296 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

I only have 3mb Internet and find downloads to be a pretty minor inconvenience tbh. Thankfully I have unlimited downloads of course but the speed isn't too much of an issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,528 ✭✭✭Lucious Sweet

Mickeroo wrote: »
    I only have 3mb Internet and find downloads to be a pretty minor inconvenience tbh. Thankfully I have unlimited downloads of course but the speed isn't too much of an issue.

Yeah me too. I just let the console do the downloading over night. No hassle at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 714 ✭✭✭feelgoodinc27

Just make sure you know what your data allowance is and how much you are using. For mobile broadband data caps tend to be small, with an excess charge of about €20/GB.

Surely it's written on the box that they're download codes. And I'd imagine most retailers would make you aware of this anyway. And in fairness, the cost is so low at the moment that any dissatisfaction is surely offset by the savings

The xbox we were setting up was a gift for nephews from another family member. The person who bought it would not be aware of the difference between a download and ac physical disc.The point I'm making is that I'm sure there will be more than a few families who will have an xbox under the tree and if it takes hours to get up and running there will be tears and parents pulling their hair out.
    It took a couple of hours to do 2 x 500 mb downloads. I wouldnt even attempt a 40 gb download. My Internet is on the slow side but very much representative of most rural ireland connections.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,361 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

Merry Christmas / Happy Holidays Everyone!!

Just wanted to say thanks for making the Xbox forum amazing. I think we've got a great little community here, and I have to say, with the Bargains thread and the Christmas thread getting pretty hammered, you guys have really pulled out all the stops to help some people.

I hope by now you're all snuggled up on the couch, your Xbox One on, enjoying the warm glow from your 1080p televisions!

Looking forward to 2015 with our growing forum!

CatInABox

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,328 ✭✭✭dunworth1

CatInABox wrote: »

Just wanted to say thanks for making the Xbox forum amazing. I think we've got a great little community here, and I have to say, with the Bargains thread and the Christmas thread getting pretty hammered, you guys have really pulled out all the stops to help some people.

I hope by now you're all snuggled up on the couch, your Xbox One on, enjoying the warm glow from your your 1080p televisions!

CatInABox

Merry Christmas to you also and the fellow xbox forum regulars and new comers

:( my tv is only 720p but i'm still in front of it feet up and a whiskey in hand
    catcahing up on finishing alien isolation

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭calex71

CatInABox wrote: »

I hope by now you're all snuggled up on the couch, your Xbox One on, enjoying the warm glow from your 1080p televisions!

CatInABox

Bah humbug :p

Edit: I've been forced into a Christmas jumper at the threat of gifts being withheld so I'm a little on edge this year /send help!!!!!!!

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,361 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

calex71 wrote: »

Edit: I've been forced into a Christmas jumper at the threat of gifts being withheld so I'm a little on edge this year /send help!!!!!!!

Have managed to avoid it this year thankfully, but there's still tomorrow to get through! That's when my nieces usually inflict a "gift" on me, along the lines of a dodgy Christmas jumper. One year they got me the most garish set of transformers pyjamas going, I thought my eyes were going to fall out of my head looking at them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,528 ✭✭✭Lucious Sweet

You poor bastard :-) Better get some good prezzies after that.
    I nearly bought this cool street fighter one in Gamestop last week but it was €60
    christmas-jumper-street-fighter-model.png

Wow that's almost wearable.... almost !!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭Stone Deaf 4evr

Wow that's almost wearable.... almost !!!!!

I'd wear it. To work even. Was at a concert last week and a fella had a mad heavy metal one. All upside down crosses, pentagrams and goats heads. It was awesome.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,799 ✭✭✭MiskyBoyy

You can watch Kim's favourite film on the Xbox right now. The Interview...

MiskyBoyy wrote: »
    You can watch Kim's favourite film on the Xbox right now. The Interview...

not free though

• Registered Users Posts: 8,799 ✭✭✭MiskyBoyy

calex71 wrote:
    not free though

I didn't post this in bargain alerts did I? ;)

MiskyBoyy wrote: »
    I didn't post this in bargain alerts did I? ;)

Bah humbug :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,216 ✭✭✭✭DARK-KNIGHT

put that banhammer down whilst on edge calex ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,216 ✭✭✭✭DARK-KNIGHT

I may be drunk but happy christmas gents........

• Registered Users Posts: 28,487 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

Lads, Happy Christmas to all.

Got my XBONE with Kinect today....woohoo.

Setting it all up. Does Voice Commands work for Ireland now or do I have to set region to UK?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,207 ✭✭✭miralize

murpho999 wrote: »
    Lads, Happy Christmas too all.

Got my XBONE with Kinect today....woohoo.

Setting it all up. Does Voice Commands work for Ireland now or do I have to set region to UK?
    Irish region, Uk voice works (mostly). Enjoy!

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 7,405 Mod ✭✭✭✭pleasant Co.

Thanks for reminding me, I must sell that Kinect of mine, it's a total paperweight :P

Live down guys? Not near my xbox to check but some family members with a new One called saying "it's broken already" :D

Status site shows all is well but that normally take a while to show any issues.

Live down guys? Not near my xbox to check but some family members with a new One called saying "it's broken already" :D

Status site shows all is well but that normally take a while to show any issues.

Never mind https://twitter.com/****crucifix :mad: oh the has a swear in it , Lizard squad delivering on their promise PSN down too I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

Both live and psn were hacked today by Lizard.

Xenji wrote: »
    Both live and psn were hacked today by Lizard.

When I refreshed the twitter 3000 more have followed him in the space of 10 minutes :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 534 ✭✭✭vlad2009

Just went off for me too, god dammit lizardsqd

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement