Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Xbox One General Discussion - Part 2 (Please Read 1st Post)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,393 ✭✭✭Fingleberries

Tyson Fury wrote: »
    Thinking of getting xbox one.
    Kinect or no kinect? Is it worth the extra few quid?
    For me, it's worth the extra few quid. There are bugger all Kinect games, though, certainly none that are above the 'meh, that was fun I suppose' category.

The extra voice control and options that way make it worth it. Wait until you find yourself talking to the radio or some other appliance "Xbox, Pause!"

If you don't mind shopping around you could get a good deal on a non-Kinect bundle and then go to CEX to pick up one that someone traded in (Currently for under €30)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭Stone Deaf 4evr

For me, it's worth the extra few quid. There are bugger all Kinect games, though, certainly none that are above the 'meh, that was fun I suppose' category.

The extra voice control and options that way make it worth it. Wait until you find yourself talking to the radio or some other appliance "Xbox, Pause!"

If you don't mind shopping around you could get a good deal on a non-Kinect bundle and then go to CEX to pick up one that someone traded in (Currently for under €30)

Id agree with you, In the last few months I've really noticed that I've been about to say "xbox volume up" etc to the other tv's in the house. In my house there are 2 small kids so remotes are constantly going walkabout too :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,575 ✭✭✭ZiabR

I agree that both consoles are very limited, you only have to look at Assassins Creed Unity to see how under powered they both are.

I dont think that is a fair statement. Look at the state that Assassins Creed launched in and also look at the difference the last patch made to both consoles around framerate and stability.

The game is still bugged and is probably another 30% away from being fully optimised on both consoles. I can only hope that due to the backlash some games got this year can only mean Developers and Publishers will wait until games are finished properly before releasing them. I would be happier that a game be delayed 3-6 months if it meant it worked 100% and ran smoothly rather than it be released, than for me to trade it in 1 week later because it was a state.

I turned my 360 on yesterday to play Gears of War 2 for a laugh and it still looks amazing even running at 480~600p. I thought to myself, if games look this good on the 360 and my XO is 10-15 times more powerful, we are in for some treats in 2-3 years.

Games are only going to get better as the new gen of consoles evolve and that can only be a good thing.

I think as gamers, the last gen of consoles spoiled us a little and we have set the bar so high for the new gen that we are disappointed by whats on offer so far. We are approaching the age old diminishing returns issue also, where performance Vs Cost plays a major factor.

I have an XO and I love it, it does everything I need and more and the games looks lovely on it, and I know they are only going to get better. I am happy to wait.

I think we need to move away from how long each consoles co*k is and just enjoy playing the games on them. I guarantee you if I put half if you into a room with a TV and a generic controller which connected to the XO and PS4, both playing the same game, 90% of you would be unable to tell me which was the PS4 and which was the XO.

2 years from now, people will be wondering what they were giving out about because the games will look and play great. For now, it is over to the Developers.

logik wrote: »

2 years from now, people will be wondering what they were giving out about because the games will look and play great. For now, it is over to the Developers.

The machines will definitely continue to be optimised, but I think whats finally happened is that the PC is gaining more and more traction and isnt quite the niche machine they once were, and realistically, if all you're about is graphics, you should be on the PC anyway. I think a lot of disappointment is that people feel the consoles are essentially low powered PCs, and if they are going to stick around for an 8 year lifespan again, PC's will have moved miles and miles ahead.

The machines will definitely continue to be optimised, but I think whats finally happened is that the PC is gaining more and more traction and isnt quite the niche machine they once were, and realistically, if all you're about is graphics, you should be on the PC anyway. I think a lot of disappointment is that people feel the consoles are essentially low powered PCs, and if they are going to stick around for an 8 year lifespan again, PC's will have moved miles and miles ahead.

Agreed, but that has always been the case. Look at the hardware in the Xbox 360 and PS3. These consoles were the main console in the market 14 months ago and were 8+ years old.

People are just looking for things to give out about. Microsoft and Sony could have gone down the route of an i7 and huge GFX with 16GB of RAM but then they would have been asking people to pay huge prices.

We need to stop this PC Vs Console debate. If you want to play PC then play PC. If you want to play console, play console. The attraction of the console to me is that I dont have to upgrade it every few years at a further cost to me.

• Advertisement

Agreed, but that has always been the case. Look at the hardware in the Xbox 360 and PS3. These consoles were the main console in the market 14 months ago and were 8+ years old.

People are just looking for things to give out about. Microsoft and Sony could have gone down the route of an i7 and huge GFX with 16GB of RAM but then they would have been asking people to pay huge prices.

We need to stop this PC Vs Console debate. If you want to play PC then play PC. If you want to play console, play console. The attraction of the console to me is that I dont have to upgrade it every few years at a further cost to me.

Well, I think in the past, developers were holding back games so that the consoles werent getting an obviously inferior product, that way of thinking seems to be going now. I dont own a PC either btw and I'm not a sucker for pretty graphics either, give me tight gameplay, a solid network, integrated friends list and easy party systems and I'm happy. ;) I was just making the point that people whose sole argument is based on graphics, is doing it wrong to begin with.

Well, I think in the past, developers were holding back games so that the consoles werent getting an obviously inferior product, that way of thinking seems to be going now. I dont own a PC either btw and I'm not a sucker for pretty graphics either, give me tight gameplay, a solid network, integrated friends list and easy party systems and I'm happy. ;) I was just making the point that people whose sole argument is based on graphics, is doing it wrong to begin with.

I hear you mate :) I agree with you.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,420 ✭✭✭FAILSAFE 00

I dont think that is a fair statement. Look at the state that Assassins Creed launched in and also look at the difference the last patch made to both consoles around framerate and stability.

The game is still bugged and is probably another 30% away from being fully optimised on both consoles. I can only hope that due to the backlash some games got this year can only mean Developers and Publishers will wait until games are finished properly before releasing them. I would be happier that a game be delayed 3-6 months if it meant it worked 100% and ran smoothly rather than it be released, than for me to trade it in 1 week later because it was a state.

The Assassins Creed Unity developers referenced both consoles CPU's has a major difficulty in the development of the game. Its to do with all the NPC in the game.

AC Unity producer Vincent Pontbriand stated the following in an interview.
    We decided to lock them at the same specs to avoid all the debates and stuff.”
    “Technically we’re CPU-bound. The GPUs are really powerful, obviously the graphics look pretty good, but it’s the CPU [that] has to process the AI, the number of NPCs we have on screen, all these systems running in parallel.”
    “We were quickly bottlenecked by that and it was a bit frustrating, because we thought that this was going to be a tenfold improvement over everything AI-wise, and we realised it was going to be pretty hard. It’s not the number of polygons that affect the framerate. We could be running at 100fps if it was just graphics, but because of AI, we’re still limited to 30 frames per second.”
    Both consoles just didn't have enough CPU to handle the game in its full potential.

Hmm not sure if I would buy that. Ubisoft and other developers were given the spec and test systems 18+ months ago. They knew the limitations of the systems before Unity was released. If they knew the CPUs were not up to the task then why push ahead with Unity they way they did? It is like trying to squeeze a square peg into a round hole, you know it wont fit so why bother try?

Ubisoft are using the consoles as an excuse that their game is at fault, not the consoles. I fell through a roof last night played Unity and I kept falling through nothingness until I died. Unity is more at fault here than the console.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,420 ✭✭✭FAILSAFE 00

Hmm not sure if I would buy that. Ubisoft and other developers were given the spec and test systems 18+ months ago. They knew the limitations of the systems before Unity was released. If they knew the CPUs were not up to the task then why push ahead with Unity they way they did? It is like trying to squeeze a square peg into a round hole, you know it wont fit so why bother try?

Ubisoft are using the consoles as an excuse that their game is at fault, not the consoles. I fell through a roof last night played Unity and I kept falling through nothingness until I died. Unity is more at fault here than the console.

I do not doubt the statement made. Many game studios set their sights very high and under publisher set deadlines they have to move the goal posts.

Its a very ambitious game, I would think if its working 100% at 1080p it would have to be running on a PC with a much better spec than any of the consoles.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,561 ✭✭✭quad_red

Id agree with you, In the last few months I've really noticed that I've been about to say "xbox volume up" etc to the other tv's in the house. In my house there are 2 small kids so remotes are constantly going walkabout too :rolleyes:

What happens when they figure out how to issue instructions to the Xbox? :eek:

[/IMG]
    quad_red wrote: »
    What happens when they figure out how to issue instructions to the Xbox? :eek:

miles ahead of you
    hannibal-muzzle.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 22,187 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

Unlucky. From what I remember they had a mine (replacement) ready the day it arrived. Reckon you will see it Thursday or Friday next. Should get an email on arrival to the factory.

Now with the status on the service request Product received at service center so hopefully will not be too long before something is done guess Monday doubt they would be working tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,393 ✭✭✭Fingleberries

The Assassins Creed Unity developers referenced both consoles CPU's has a major difficulty in the development of the game. Its to do with all the NPC in the game.

AC Unity producer Vincent Pontbriand stated the following in an interview.

Both consoles just didn't have enough CPU to handle the game in its full potential.
    If the console is CPU bound then Xbox should see another moderate bump in performance when Windows 10 and DirectX 12 come along.

It opens up more channels of communication between the Cpu and Gpu (loosely speaking) - http://www.littletinyfrogs.com/article/460524/DirectX_11_vs_DirectX_12_oversimplified

• Registered Users Posts: 4,267 ✭✭✭mcgovern

Now with the status on the service request Product received at service center so hopefully will not be too long before something is done guess Monday doubt they would be working tomorrow.

Not trying to be a kill joy, but I received mine back on Wednesday, having been sent on the 29th. It was still broken, looks like they didn't even try to turn it on. I've spent 6 hours talking to them since then trying to sort out an Advanced Exchange, eventually gave up and went with a normal repair again, and now waiting for my labels to be sent....

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,361 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

mcgovern wrote: »
    Not trying to be a kill joy, but I received mine back on Wednesday, having been sent on the 29th. It was still broken, looks like they didn't even try to turn it on. I've spent 6 hours talking to them since then trying to sort out an Advanced Exchange, eventually gave up and went with a normal repair again, and now waiting for my labels to be sent....

File a compliant with them, you might get something free for your troubles.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,431 ✭✭✭rottie 11

Is xbox live down??

Keep getting kicked from games

rottie 11 wrote: »
    Is xbox live down??

Keep getting kicked from games

Ok for me last night. There are some issues with the 360 at the moment though. Relating to the Cloud servers again.

Ok for me last night. There are some issues with the 360 at the moment though. Relating to the Cloud servers again.

I was on the x1

Prob just my ****ty internet

rottie 11 wrote: »
    I was on the x1

Prob just my ****ty internet

If in doubt, do a hard reset of the console (hold down the power button for 10 seconds to fully turn off)

That should be the first step in dealing with any xbox one problem and it solves 99% of them. :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,507 ✭✭✭runawaybishop

If in doubt, do a hard reset of the console (hold down the power button for 10 seconds to fully turn off)

That should be the first step in dealing with any xbox one problem and it solves 99% of them. :D

Step 2 should be xbox.com/status to see if its a known issue.

Smartglass and other devices functionality of Xbox live showing alerts now, and issues with purchases on 360 acting up. Wtf is going on? There's no big games out, and the Christmas and thanksgiving spike is over and done with. Surely it's not asking too much to have the thing running in a stable manner. There seems to be an issue more often than not these days.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭calex71

Smartglass and other devices functionality of Xbox live showing alerts now, and issues with purchases on 360 acting up. Wtf is going on? There's no big games out, and the Christmas and thanksgiving spike is over and done with. Surely it's not asking too much to have the thing running in a stable manner. There seems to be an issue more often than not these days.

This has been regular for months now, I really am surprised they haven't been called to task by the interwebs over it and bigger stinks haven't been kicked up ??? Is it a case of fan boys not wanting to give sony fan boys ammo or something?

When I look at the big uproars of last year, watch dogs, assassins creed, halo etc. issues with live on average every 2 weeks albeit minor usually din't get mentioned. Service is far from what was once a rock solid one on 360 :(

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,188 ✭✭✭DoYouEvenLift

What's the cheapest option for Xbox live? Online or offline?

This has the cheapest I can find so far: £25/€32 for 12 months

http://www.electronicfirst.com

• Registered Users Posts: 11,553 ✭✭✭✭Copper_pipe

What's the cheapest option for Xbox live? Online or offline?

This has the cheapest I can find so far: £25/€32 for 12 months

http://www.electronicfirst.com

G2A.com have it for 27

G2A.com have it for 27

Sweet, and the region doesn't matter?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,553 ✭✭✭✭Copper_pipe

Sweet, and the region doesn't matter?

No I bought it myself last week. Just make sure you buy from a seller with good feedback

No I bought it myself last week. Just make sure you buy from a seller with good feedback

Yeah, there are two available it seems and the top one is Chinese for €27

Edit: got it sorted, thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 34 Deluded Oreo

"Sorry we can't show your friends right now."

• Advertisement

"Sorry we can't show your friends right now."

Same here

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement