Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Xbox One General Discussion - Part 2 (Please Read 1st Post)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,618 ✭✭✭Mr Freeze

nicklauski wrote: »
    Is the controller updates exclusive to the preview programme?
    Can you not update the controller if you're not in it?

For the moment this particular controller update is exclusive to the preview program. I'm not sure when it will be released to the public, Feb or March for all I know.

http://www.windowscentral.com/your-xbox-one-controller-about-get-whole-lot-better

• Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭Stone Deaf 4evr

Mr Freeze wrote: »
    Correct. I was thinking about checking the battery contact in the controller, but thats already ruled out as it's happened with 2 different controllers.

I think getting him the controller update in the preview program is the next step as the issue does seem common if you search online for it. Sadly there are no suggestions about fixing it.

He'd be as well off getting the console onto the preview program as well - I'd assume there is a software update on the console side as well to enable the faster pairing etc. just be careful that you don't update the controller off your console, rendering it totally unusable on his.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,789 ✭✭✭nicklauski

For the moment this particular controller update is exclusive to the preview program. I'm not sure when it will be released to the public, Feb or March for all I know.

http://www.windowscentral.com/your-xbox-one-controller-about-get-whole-lot-better

That's a bit ridiculous.
    I thought they were rolled out to the public aswell.
    I'm in the programme myself, didn't know controller updartes were exclusives as well.

Was there not one released a while ago to do with Titanfall?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,361 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

nicklauski wrote: »
    That's a bit ridiculous.
    I thought they were rolled out to the public aswell.
    I'm in the programme myself, didn't know controller updartes were exclusives as well.

Was there not one released a while ago to do with Titanfall?

It's a beta, not an exclusive. It's to make sure that the update doesn't brick anyone's console or controller.

The update will roll out this month, around the 16th is my guess, that's when previous ones came out.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,507 ✭✭✭runawaybishop

Correct. I was thinking about checking the battery contact in the controller, but thats already ruled out as it's happened with 2 different controllers.

I think getting him the controller update in the preview program is the next step as the issue does seem common if you search online for it. Sadly there are no suggestions about fixing it.

No point going on the preview it as pain in the arse with updates and it goes live very soon anyway. Even so i am not sure that your mates issue was listed in the fixes that went in so i wouldn't rely on that.

It could very well be interference from the sounds of it. If the issue only occurs when he is using wireless can you swap console locations? If there are 2 controllers in does it happen to both simultaneously? If it occurs on wired and wireless then its time to contact the retailer or Microsoft.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,618 ✭✭✭Mr Freeze

If there are 2 controllers in does it happen to both simultaneously? If it occurs on wired and wireless then its time to contact the retailer or Microsoft.

Thats a good suggestion, will have to find a coop game and try it.

If that update is mid this month, might hang on for it.

Thats a good suggestion, will have to find a coop game and try it.

If that update is mid this month, might hang on for it.

I would wait for the official release tbh, the preview has been known to brick controllers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

Howdy folks, have any photoshop ninjas here? There's a new way we can promote forums, & are looking for ideas. It's all in this thread, ps check out post #5 - http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057372230

Bit of a problem here, I'm getting no picture/display when powering on the Xbox One. It seems to power on fine, but the joypad won't sync to it. The tv remains blank, with no image.

I've tried the display setting reset procedure, but it doesn't seem to have any effect. Any ideas?

Myrddin wrote: »
    Bit of a problem here, I'm getting no picture/display when powering on the Xbox One. It seems to power on fine, but the joypad won't sync to it. The tv remains blank, with no image.

I've tried the display setting reset procedure, but it doesn't seem to have any effect. Any ideas?

You pulled the plug for >30 seconds and then pressed the eject and power buttons for 10-15 seconds?

If the controller isnt syncing have you tried to power it on, even with a blank screen, and sync the controller again?

If neither of the two work then its time to contact your retailer or MS.

• Advertisement

You pulled the plug for >30 seconds and then pressed the eject and power buttons for 10-15 seconds?

If the controller isnt syncing have you tried to power it on, even with a blank screen, and sync the controller again?

If neither of the two work then its time to contact your retailer or MS.

Yep, tried the video reset procedure by holding the power button to shutdown, plugging out for 30 seconds, & powering on via power & reset (holding). I don't get a double chime or anything, it just doesn't seem to do anything bar power on with a blank screen.

I think the joypad does turn the console on, will double check that. But the xbox light on the controller just flashes, & it doesn't seem to pair with the console. It eventually goes off, after not finding a host.

Looks time to return it so. What the story here, it's Argos. Do I just show up at the shop with it all boxed up again?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,611 ✭✭✭tony1980

One thing I will say is that Argos are usually brilliant to deal with when returning something. Even after the 30 days, they usually just give you a swap in the shop there and then. Only downside is you will have to download all digital games again unless you already have them on an external hard drive.

Yep, tried the video reset procedure by holding the power button to shutdown, plugging out for 30 seconds, & powering on via power & reset (holding). I don't get a double chime or anything, it just doesn't seem to do anything bar power on with a blank screen.

I think the joypad does turn the console on, will double check that. But the xbox light on the controller just flashes, & it doesn't seem to pair with the console. It eventually goes off, after not finding a host.

Looks time to return it so. What the story here, it's Argos. Do I just show up at the shop with it all boxed up again?

Yes, i would just turn up with it boxed. Argos are excellent at returns in my experience.

Might be no harm to check it on a different TV first though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,528 ✭✭✭Lucious Sweet

Is it just the controller that's fooked?
    If so the left stick broke on the controller that came with my console. Which I bought just before Christmas from Argos.
    I went back last week with the receipt and the controller and they gave me a new controller straight away, and a Camo one at that :)

Is it just the controller that's fooked?
    If so the left stick broke on the controller that came with my console. Which I bought just before Christmas from Argos.
    I went back last week with the receipt and the controller and they gave me a new controller straight away, and a Camo one at that :)

The controller seems fine, it powers on the console but won't pair beyond that. There's no display at all from the console, tried different hdmi leads, tried resetting display config via the method described above, nothing.

One thing there though, I left it on while I went out for a bit. When I came back, it was stuck on the Xbox One boot screen (at least it was displaying something this time). But alas, seemed indeed stuck there. Upon a reset, it was back to a black screen. I'll return it over the weekend :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,528 ✭✭✭Lucious Sweet

The controller seems fine, it powers on the console but won't pair beyond that. There's no display at all from the console, tried different hdmi leads, tried resetting display config via the method described above, nothing.

One thing there though, I left it on while I went out for a bit. When I came back, it was stuck on the Xbox One boot screen (at least it was displaying something this time). But alas, seemed indeed stuck there. Upon a reset, it was back to a black screen. I'll return it over the weekend :(

Oh, sorry I misinterpreted the problem.
    Like others have said Argos are very good when it comes to returns. Hope you get sorted soon.

Cheers for the help all.

• Registered Users Posts: 933 ✭✭✭Furp

By any chance are you in the preview program the update just releas was big 2gb maybe your xbox was in the middle of an upgrade

Furp wrote: »
    By any chance are you in the preview program the update just releas was big 2gb maybe your xbox was in the middle of an upgrade

Nope, retail dash. The 360 I had was part of a beta program ages ago, so unless they auto took me in then no, should be full retail

• Registered Users Posts: 3,273 ✭✭✭Gizmo55

Nope, retail dash. The 360 I had was part of a beta program ages ago, so unless they auto took me in then no, should be full retail

Your Xbox isn't set to 'Boot to tv' is it? I changed mine to that a while ago and forgot I had so ended up looking at a black screen for a while til I remembered. For some reason the Xbox won't turn on my UPC box when it starts up.

• Advertisement

Gizmo55 wrote: »
    Your Xbox isn't set to 'Boot to tv' is it? I changed mine to that a while ago and forgot I had so ended up looking at a black screen for a while til I remembered. For some reason the Xbox won't turn on my UPC box when it starts up.

It's in the games room, so there's no cable tv functionality anywhere near it, so I don't think so. Unless it have been changed by mistake, but it wouldn't explain why the controller won't sync...

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,361 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

It's in the games room, so there's no cable tv functionality anywhere near it, so I don't think so. Unless it have been changed by mistake, but it wouldn't explain why the controller won't sync...

Just to rule out power issues, what colour is the LED on the power brick? Just to totally rule it out some more, if it's plugged into an extension cord, then try it in the wall.

If that doesn't work, then run the OS Update Diagnostic Tool. It basically reinstalls the OS, meaning a brand new boot loader, which, fingers crossed, will sort your problem.

See OSUDT2 here.

You can run through the troubleshooter here first if you want, but you'll probably end up on that page anyway.

CatInABox wrote: »
    Just to rule out power issues, what colour is the LED on the power brick? Just to totally rule it out some more, if it's plugged into an extension cord, then try it in the wall.

If that doesn't work, then run the OS Update Diagnostic Tool. It basically reinstalls the OS, meaning a brand new boot loader, which, fingers crossed, will sort your problem.

See OSUDT2 here.

You can run through the troubleshooter here first if you want, but you'll probably end up on that page anyway.

If it were me at this stage though, on a new console, I'd be taking it back anyway. there's technical support and minor niggles, but reinstalling an OS and new bootloader is not something Id be happy about having to do, regardless of whether or not it works afterwards.

If it were me at this stage though, on a new console, I'd be taking it back anyway. there's technical support and minor niggles, but reinstalling an OS and new bootloader is not something Id be happy about having to do, regardless of whether or not it works afterwards.

Yes, there's that! I'm probably just odd in that I like solving problems though. :o

If it's brand new, then bring it back.

CatInABox wrote: »
    If it's brand new, then bring it back.

Y'know, I was about to go ahead with this diagnostic tool...but the above post is right. Maybe I could fix it this one time, & then maybe it happens again, but next time out of warranty etc. I'll just go ahead & return it I think. Again, thanks all.

Quick one, if I get a replacement console, will there be any issues with home console type settings etc?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,575 ✭✭✭ZiabR

Quick one, if I get a replacement console, will there be any issues with home console type settings etc?

How do you mean? You mean your personal settings? I.E Profile? Gold Membership etc?

I am not sure actually, I would be concerned myself as I have my Paypal account linked to buy games etc.

logik wrote: »
    How do you mean? You mean your personal settings? I.E Profile? Gold Membership etc?

I am not sure actually, I would be concerned myself as I have my Paypal account linked to buy games etc.

No I've no payment options currently linked to the console. But in terms of signing now again into another new console (a replacement one would be the third console the profile will be on), will there be any probs?

No I've no payment options currently linked to the console. But in terms of signing now again into another new console (a replacement one would be the third console the profile will be on), will there be any probs?

you could always go to xbox.com and change your login details, that way, anything on the broken console won't be able to sync even if someone were to get it up and running.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,575 ✭✭✭ZiabR

It is a good question alright and also, if the console is fixed, will that give someone else access to your gold account? May be worth contacting MS to see what they say?

• Advertisement

I'd say they do a factory reset before they send out any refurbished consoles, which would remove any Home console stuff.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement