Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Xbox One General Discussion - Part 2 (Please Read 1st Post)

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 955 ✭✭✭Wooden Jesus

calex71 wrote: »
    Makes me wish I'd held me piddle now and waited to get one, I've no interest or use for a kinect really.

Im the same. Haven't used the Kinect since launch week, it was a nice gimmick for a few days

• Registered Users Posts: 9,202 ✭✭✭maximoose

Confirmed by MS that the paywall for Netflix and other seperate subscription services are being dropped.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭Stone Deaf 4evr

_Redzer_ wrote: »
    It was useless to the games and added nothing at all. The people buying the first wave of consoles are gamers, many did not want to spend an extra €100 on voice commands and I don't blame them. That stuff is for the casuals.

Dropping the kinect makes the X1 way more appealing and is a good move.

have you tried it? the "record that" "snap party" "go to titanfall" etc etc are all great additions.

Also, volume control for the telly is great as well, as is the controls when watching streaming video.

gesture control is rubbish though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 501 ✭✭✭198321

Oh if I bought xbox one with kinect few weeks ago I'd be very pissed now ...

They were saying they are going to keep kinect and never ever sell it without it, and now this?

I mean, it does make sense and I would buy xbox without kinect, just saying whoever already bought xbox one with kinect must be very pissed at Microsoft.

I know it wasn't easy decision for Microsoft, they most likely are going to profit from it, but many people are not going to forget how they screwed them ..

• Registered Users Posts: 28,474 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

So they haven't really dropped the console price but just selling it without the Kinect?

• Advertisement

198321 wrote: »
    Oh if I bought xbox one with kinect few weeks ago I'd be very pissed now ...

They were saying they are going to keep kinect and never ever sell it without it, and now this?

I mean, it does make sense and I would buy xbox without kinect, just saying whoever already bought xbox one with kinect must be very pissed at Microsoft.

I know it wasn't easy decision for Microsoft, they most likely are going to profit from it, but many people are not going to forget how they screwed them ..

screwed is a bit harsh, if you were happy enough to buy it including connect, you cant get upset now that its available without. What is annoying though, is that this is effectively going to abort future development of kinect features.

That goes back to Sony initially having the PS eye included, but pulling it to undercut microsofts price point. If there was a camera included with EVERY next gen console, cross platform developers would have no excuse not to develop for it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭calex71

have you tried it? the "record that" "snap party" "go to titanfall" etc etc are all great additions.

Also, volume control for the telly is great as well, as is the controls when watching streaming video.

I've tried them , and agree they work very well ..... if you don't have your region set to Ireland which makes me wonder how long more it will be until we get them natively :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,056 ✭✭✭_Redzer_

My sisters bf has one and I've messed around with it. The old kinect had voice commands too. My phone and tablet also have them. I'm unimpressed by them and I can do it all more precisely with the controller anyway.

Kinect was supposed to be a great addition to the games, and it wasn't. I'm only interested in games, as are the vast majority of other people who buy the consoles. If all it can do is add voice commands, which the PS4 can do too (don't use that either) and doesn't contribute to the games, how is it worth the extra €100?

Obviously enough agree that it's enough to warrant this decision, which is great because it gives you the option of getting kinect if that's your thing, or not at all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 501 ✭✭✭198321

screwed is a bit harsh, if you were happy enough to buy it including connect, you cant get upset now that its available without. What is annoying though, is that this is effectively going to abort future development of kinect features.

That goes back to Sony initially having the PS eye included, but pulling it to undercut microsofts price point. If there was a camera included with EVERY next gen console, cross platform developers would have no excuse not to develop for it.

I didn't buy xbox one, just saying how I would feel if I did. I would also buy kinect for xbox one if it was sold separatly as I am into all that stuff, but I wouldn't like to be forced to having kinect and I guess huge % of people with xbox one feel the same.
    That sad, hope it is only going to be good news about xbox one and its exclusive games look amazing (Sunset Overdrive) ...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,133 ✭✭✭GottaGetGatt

I couldn't use the xbox without the kinect tbh and I was a big hater of it being included in the bundle but everyone to their own.

• Advertisement

must... resist... urge.... to look at ps4 vs xbox one thread.....

must... resist... urge.... to look at ps4 vs xbox one thread.....

Yeah best avoid it , it's descended into a why buy inferior hardware for the same price argument now.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

COD ghosts has been discounted more times than week old bread. thats about the only reason its still the top selling game on xbox one.
    Maybe, but not since I got the console - apart from a small discount on some uber-expensive "legendary" (or something) version.
    murpho999 wrote: »
    Bit harsh on the Irish government as people forget that the advertised US prices exclude US sales taxes that are added on at checkout.
    There's something you don't hear every day. :P

Dades wrote: »
    Maybe, but not since I got the console - apart from a small discount on some uber-expensive "legendary" (or something) version.

There's something you don't hear every day. :P

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Call-Duty-Ghosts-Digital-Combo/dp/B00FZFL76G/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1399996579&sr=8-2&keywords=call+of+duty+ghosts+xbox+one

23 pounds.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,618 ✭✭✭Mr Freeze

How do you do the record/snap stuff without Kinect so on the ONE?

Mr Freeze wrote: »

There's an actuall snap app, you then launch what ever app from the list there using the controller

Edit: Or my preferred method is to stream to twitch to get around the 5 minute limit and download it and edit later. Lowers the quality but has it's benefits.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,012 ✭✭✭Kerplunk124

Can still snap with the controller not sure about record though

you'll have to use the menu button and go into the game dvr app - makes it very awkward.

Interesting - €36.40 with postage.
    Close... but not quite cheap enough for me yet. :P

So whats left for E3????? At this point I wouldn't be surprised with announcement on the storage capacity side of things, is it a stretch to think they be ready to announce an SKU with a bigger hard drive aswell :confused:

• Advertisement

Interesting - €36.40 with postage.
    Close... but not quite cheap enough for me yet. :P

After you've played it, you'll be sorry..... :D

I'd recommend waiting till its about a tenner, you MIGHT get that much enjoyment out of the single player and the zombies effort. I'm a COD fan by the way, I'm not critical just because its COD.;)

calex71 wrote: »
    So whats left for E3????? At this point I wouldn't be surprised with announcement on the storage capacity side of things, is it a stretch to think they be ready to announce an SKU with a bigger hard drive aswell :confused:

Halo 2 anniversary, A gears of war teaser, and I'm baffled if I could think of much else that we havent heard of at previous shows.

After you've played it, you'll be sorry..... :D

I'd recommend waiting till its about a tenner
    That's more along the lines I've been hoping for! There's too long a wait for this years Big Shooters - I need some temporary fodder.

That's more along the lines I've been hoping for! There's too long a wait for this years Big Shooters - I need some temporary fodder.

If you still have your 360, you can have my copy of ghosts for a tenner! its unboxed though :pac:

Funny you should say that - I do still have my 360 which I haven't tried on my new monitor. Not sure I ever want to hear the noise of that thing again though.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,618 ✭✭✭Mr Freeze

you'll have to use the menu button and go into the game dvr app - makes it very awkward.

So the only disadvantage I see of not having kinect is missing out on the Record That feature!

• Registered Users Posts: 303 ✭✭Metroid diorteM

I tried to preorder an Xbox one without kinect on Amazon just now and Amazon say they won't ship to Ireland? I thought they did?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,845 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

I tried to preorder an Xbox one without kinect on Amazon just now and Amazon say they won't ship to Ireland? I thought they did?

Depends on the seller in my experience. Use Parcel Motel instead to ship via NI

• Closed Accounts Posts: 955 ✭✭✭Wooden Jesus

I'm having an issue with twitch, it's not loading up anything. The only way to get it to work is to uninstall it then install it again but when i quit out its back to square one.
    I turned the xbox off and on again and that didn't work so i'm all out of ideas

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,340 ✭✭✭deco nate

I'm having an issue with twitch, it's not loading up anything. The only way to get it to work is to uninstall it then install it again but when i quit out its back to square one.
    I turned the xbox off and on again and that didn't work so i'm all out of ideas

Hold the start button on the xbox for ten seconds, it will clear the cache

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement