Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

CSO - Dublin House prices fall in Feb 2014, 2nd month in a row

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,919 ✭✭✭GavMan

Front page of the indo site. -0.6% in Dublin.

There was also a rise outside of Dublin.

Are dubs returning to the commuter belt???

• Registered Users Posts: 1,668 ✭✭✭marathonic

GavMan wrote: »
    Are dubs returning to the commuter belt???

You're not going to gain any insight into the movement of people based on 1-2 months data. I'm not saying that the trend will, or won't, continue down but don't do too much analysis on figures over such a short timeframe.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,919 ✭✭✭GavMan

marathonic wrote: »
    You're not going to gain any insight into the movement of people based on 1-2 months data. I'm not saying that the trend will, or won't, continue down but don't do too much analysis on figures over such a short timeframe.

Just postulating the theory and asking the question.

Could be a few large transactions in Cork/Galway/Limerick skewing things...who knows at this stage

• Registered Users Posts: 1,668 ✭✭✭marathonic

GavMan wrote: »
    Just postulating the theory and asking the question.

Could be a few large transactions in Cork/Galway/Limerick skewing things...who knows at this stage

That's true. I'm still noticing significant falls locally athough, in fairness I'm in Donegal - an area that's now part of what's being called "the third tier of a 3-tier market". :D

The larger cities, such as those you've mentioned, probably have a lot of people panic buying after seeing the 2013 gains experienced in Dublin and fearing that they'll miss out again.

As we're all aware, a market involving panic buying is the last thing we want.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,995 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

Doesn't this data exclude cash which is currently the majority of the market?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 5,468 Mod ✭✭✭✭spockety

Doesn't this data exclude cash which is currently the majority of the market?

Yes, but it always has.

• Registered Users Posts: 485 ✭✭Lombardo86

Based on my experience (Albeit in SCD) of looking since the beginning of the year, it seems like it's up up up.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,239 ✭✭✭lima

Property Prices fall again in Dublin.

Bulls, I await your input..

• Registered Users Posts: 21,886 ✭✭✭✭Roger_007

These monthly ups and downs don't mean much. The volume of sales is so small that a few exceptional transactions can skew the overall percentage one way or the other. Also the fact that there are very few new houses coming on to the market that it is impossible to be sure that there is a definite trend. A normal market would have a good mix of new and second-hand homes being bought and sold.

The housing market in Dublin is in danger of grinding to a halt completely because of lack of supply both for sale and for rent.

• Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭Sand Wedge

moxin wrote: »
    http://www.cso.ie/en/releasesandpublications/er/rppi/residentialpropertypriceindexfebruary2014/#.UzK2jah_tNo

Great news :) That's a fall in both January and February 2014. Its ironic given the reporting here by bulls that Dublin house prices have been increasing!

Awaiting to see which news outlets pick up on this story. Last month, the media hardly mentioned January's fall.

Doesn't January/February of most years not always show a decline in house prices as this is when the market is normally at it's quietest. There was a decline in Jan/Feb 2012 and Feb/Mar 2013 but prices were still up overall in the year!

• Advertisement

Sand Wedge wrote: »
    Doesn't January/February of most years not always show a decline in house prices as this is when the market is normally at it's quietest. There was a decline in Jan/Feb 2012 and Feb/Mar 2013 but prices were still up overall in the year!

I would say things are different now. Repossessions on the rise, less cash buyers, all the 'good deals' gone.. Prices will probably go down a bit more and then roughly stabilize. We are seeing price falls for two months in a row, no matter how annoyed you may be about it, it is happening.

Then again if all these freeloaders were booted out of the houses they occupy whilst not paying for them then prices would plummet!!

lima wrote: »
    I would say things are different now. Repossessions on the rise, less cash buyers, all the 'good deals' gone.. Prices will probably go down a bit more and then roughly stabilize. We are seeing price falls for two months in a row, no matter how annoyed you may be about it, it is happening.

Then again if all these freeloaders were booted out of the houses they occupy whilst not paying for them then prices would plummet!!

Why would I be annoyed, from the data you have referenced a decrease of two months in a row is fairly normal. It happened last year and there was an annual increase of 13% per your data.

Why would I be annoyed, from the data you have referenced a decrease of two months in a row is fairly normal. It happened last year and there was an annual increase of 13% per your data.

I wouldn't know why you are annoyed, but fact is that the CSO reckons that property has been falling in value in Dublin all year so far, which is fabulous news.

I wouldn't know why you are annoyed, but fact is that the CSO reckons that property has been falling in value in Dublin all year so far, which is fabulous news.

All year lol, it is only two months and as I said it happened last year also and prices actually went up in the full year 13%.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,203 ✭✭✭moxin

Lombardo86 wrote: »
    Based on my experience (Albeit in SCD) of looking since the beginning of the year, it seems like it's up up up.

SCD is a MINORITY market in Dublin.

All year lol, it is only two months and as I said it happened last year also and prices actually went up in the full year 13%.

You are right. Prices went up last year.

Prices this year have been falling so far. January and February had price falls in Dublin. Also, they have been trending this way for 4-5 months.

Right now it's cheaper for me to buy compared to December last year :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,949 ✭✭✭Dr Turk Turkelton

You are right. Prices went up last year.

Prices this year have been falling so far. January and February had price falls in Dublin. Also, they have been trending this way for 4-5 months.

Right now it's cheaper for me to buy compared to December last year :D

A lot more expensive than 2012 though.Would have been the time to pull the trigger then.

A lot more expensive than 2012 though.Would have been the time to pull the trigger then.

For sure, and I was actually looking back then, but all that was around were scraps, which could be used as BTL's, but in my case I am looking for somewhere to live in, and up until now there has been nothing available to suit my standards. The place I rent suits me though and prices are still half of what people paid for them back in that boom. The lasted falling prices give me a tiny bit of hope too that madness v2 is not happening any longer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 992 ✭✭✭Barely Hedged

For sure, and I was actually looking back then, but all that was around were scraps, which could be used as BTL's, but in my case I am looking for somewhere to live in, and up until now there has been nothing available to suit my standards. The place I rent suits me though and prices are still half of what people paid for them back in that boom. The lasted falling prices give me a tiny bit of hope too that madness v2 is not happening any longer.

I was also looking at places in 2012 in D2/D4/D6 and there were and i got decent places but the market for them was much more competitive than obvious BTL places.

If you want somewhere in a desirable location, thats move-in that day, top spec condition you will always pay a large premium for that and you will also face stiff competition for it. Waiting for the perfect storm of an ideal apartment, in turn key condition at rock bottom prices and you being the lone bidder on it will not happen.

My opinion is that if somewhere good comes along just go for it. Finding consolation in a small trend downwards in a quiet transaction period is just procrastination.

• Registered Users Posts: 261 ✭✭SeanSouth

The lower the prices go, the less supply that will be available

The higher the prices go, the more supply that will be available.

House prices have to rise in Dublin as there is not enough supply in areas that people wish to live. The lack of supply cant be corrected in the short term.

Repossessions do create more supply but they create an equal amount of extra demand as owners who are repossessed still need housing

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

The interesting statistic in all of this- is the remarkable fall in the proportion of cash transactions- it would seem that a lot of the cash that was sitting on the fence has jumped. The numbers of mortgages drawn down- has also increased- albeit from an artificially low base.

Yes- prices have fallen for 2 months in a row- however- its part of a trend evidenced since June of last year- where the increases in Dublin prices were tapering. We discussed it then and since- and hypothesized that Dublin prices would turn negative around March of this year- so the falls in Jan/Feb are ahead of schedule- but predicted nonetheless.

All-in-all its meaningless. We do not have a properly functioning market. In the Dublin area- we don't have a functioning market, and we don't have supply. Elsewhere- we have supply- but we have vendors playing mindgames with potential purchasers.

People will read into it what they want- but all in all- I predict prices have plateau'ed for the time being- and will probably broadly pause, awaiting some outside factors before determining their next direction.

The biggest factor will probably be the budget in October- where the government are still expected to take another 2.5 billion out of the economy....... Where they're going to get it from- I really do not know.......

• Registered Users Posts: 2,670 ✭✭✭jay0109

from some analysis that I've seen on the Pin, supply in Dublin (per the PPR) for the past few months is up 24% or so over the last year. Perhaps thats whats driving the tapering off of price rises...though as noted above, I'm still seeing rise after rise in the 3-4 bed family home section of the market.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,003 ✭✭✭handlemaster

Its funny reading the posters who have the. dark cloud over their heads no matter what the weather. Negative the whole time and will never buy as there is no such thing as a perfect time to buy.

• Registered Users Posts: 372 ✭✭Belfunk

The market in Dublin 3,5 and 9 is going crazy.

Last Friday the asking on this was already at 200k.

http://www.myhome.ie/residential/brochure/13-hawthorn-terrace-east-wall-dublin-3/2759857

This went on the market last week @ 300k, quickly changed to 350k Monday morning and today it has an offer of 400k 360k

http://www.myhome.ie/residential/brochure/6-brookwood-road-artane-dublin-5/2775915

• Registered Users Posts: 7,244 ✭✭✭Brussels Sprout

You have to love the Indo's spin on the story

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,180 ✭✭✭hfallada

There is such a small sample size to make an accurate percentage increase/decrease. I know if you look in an estate agents window nearly everything has a sale agreed sign on it. Which means they dont have enough new property for sale to replace the sale agreed ones on the window

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭Jaybor

Im gonna go out on a limb and predict that year on year Dublin house prices are going to be rising for a long time to come.
    Monthly data is useless on its own, for obvious reasons that have been done to death on forums far and wide.

• Registered Users Posts: 176 ✭✭superman28

I want to point out the obvious,,, there are almost zero repossessions in Ireland.. This means that the supply of housing is restricted artificially, if the banks will actually begin the process of repossessing the family home is the great unknown... Socially in ireland we don't like this idea, however it is a basic economic principle that is being ignored by banks..

20,000 houses would flood the market at low priced to sell prices if we ran the same levels of repossessions as the UK,, it's all here from the Sunday business post..

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭mrmitty

Jaybor wrote: »
    Im gonna go out on a limb and predict that year on year Dublin house prices are going to be rising for a long time to come.

You may very well be correct but if house prices rise by any more than inflation over an extended period then sooner or later you're going to pay the piper if you speculate.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭mrmitty

The interesting statistic in all of this- is the remarkable fall in the proportion of cash transactions- it would seem that a lot of the cash that was sitting on the fence has jumped. The numbers of mortgages drawn down- has also increased- albeit from an artificially low base.

Yes- prices have fallen for 2 months in a row- however- its part of a trend evidenced since June of last year- where the increases in Dublin prices were tapering. We discussed it then and since- and hypothesized that Dublin prices would turn negative around March of this year- so the falls in Jan/Feb are ahead of schedule- but predicted nonetheless.

All-in-all its meaningless. We do not have a properly functioning market. In the Dublin area- we don't have a functioning market, and we don't have supply. Elsewhere- we have supply- but we have vendors playing mindgames with potential purchasers.

People will read into it what they want- but all in all- I predict prices have plateau'ed for the time being- and will probably broadly pause, awaiting some outside factors before determining their next direction.

The biggest factor will probably be the budget in October- where the government are still expected to take another 2.5 billion out of the economy....... Where they're going to get it from- I really do not know.......

There is no such thing as a "properly functioning property market"in Ireland and there hasn't been one in a long time, if ever.
    There is no due process, supply is restricted artificially and the intertwined political and landed class have a stranglehold on it's functionality.
    I feel for those who have to purchase or rent in Dublin or elsewhere in Ireland for that matter. It has become a form of enslavement.
    All you young people just starting out be warned.

Advertisement