Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Question about Windows 8 upgrade

Options
  • 26-03-2014 1:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 423 ✭✭

Right I have a Windows 7 laptop that i bought the Win 8 pro upgrade for last year online so no CD. I was wondering if I could actually format my hdd to completely wipe it and be able to reinstall win 8 using the same serial or will it not work?

Reason for formatting is that my laptop has gotten very slow and want to give it a boost. Also lots of files on hdd not needed.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,917 ✭✭✭✭briany

Recurve360 wrote: »
    Right I have a Windows 7 laptop that i bought the Win 8 pro upgrade for last year online so no CD. I was wondering if I could actually format my hdd to completely wipe it and be able to reinstall win 8 using the same serial or will it not work?

Reason for formatting is that my laptop has gotten very slow and want to give it a boost. Also lots of files on hdd not needed.

Somebody here asks the same question and the answer given is to do a factory reset (would be a good idea to back-up important files beforehand of course). A googling of the question seems to indicate that you can install Windows 8 on the same machine as many times as you want so long as the key is valid.

Tip : A solid state hard drive instead of a traditional mechanical hard drive is a worthy upgrade to any PC because load/seek times are almost instantaneous and they don't suffer the inevitable slow down that dogs older hard drives. Big drawback is that price per GB is quite a bit higher but if you only need so much space, they're still a more attractive option IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 jonrouter

Can you not burn your download as an iso?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,748 ✭✭✭degsie

fouryo wrote: »
    Win 8 serial

Superb first post! Welcome to boards :D

• Registered Users Posts: 423 ✭✭Recurve360

Thanks for all the advice guys. I already have a SSd in my desktop but waiting for the prices to come down a bit to get a 1TB one in my laptop. Have an iso of windows8 so will wipe and try use my own serial. If that doesnt work i guess ill just downgrade to windows 7 which i can get free as im a student. :)

There is a way to clean install a Windows 7 or Windows 8 upgrade disc. Try activating it as normal but if it fails, then change the MediaBootInstall option in the registry. This is OK to do, provided that you do have a previous version of Windows to satisfy the upgrade criteria.

• Advertisement
Advertisement