Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Putting rice in babys bottle?

Options
  • 26-03-2014 1:19pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,391 ✭✭✭

I know this is a controversial issue but I was wondering what are your opinions/experiences with mixing baby rice into formula? My LO is 7 weeks old and he is taking 6-7 oz of extra hungry formula 10-12 times a day. By the time he finishes his bottle and is winded, there is only 30-45 minutes of a break before he's crying for food again. My mam was telling me to try a tiny bit of rice in his bottle, I think he's too young but she says that she gave it to me and all of my siblings from 4 weeks. Am I right and if so, is there anything else I can try to fill my baby for longer?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

Seriously do not mix rice in with your babies formula.

Are you sure he's actually hungry? Could he be crying because he's sore (reflux, colic? sometimes it can disguise itself as hunger and the sucking action helps soothe but then they're uncomfortable from feeding?)

I'd speak to your PHN and/or GP about the issue and see what ideas they have.

You could do serious damage to your babies gut (upset the bacteria, set them up for a life of stomach problems) by feeding them solids too early. Baby rice has no nutritional value whatsoever so will only serve to give your child a full stomach and nothing else, they may get less nutrients from the formula as a result of this.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,510 ✭✭✭nikpmup

+1 - my mam suggested the same, cos that's what happened in their day! My baby was crying because he was being fed too much, he has reflux. Speak to your GP.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,339 ✭✭✭How Strange

I agree with January. What makes you think he's hungry? He's feeding about as much as a typical 7 week old should. Babies cry for all sorts of reasons so I think you should speak to your phn or gp if you're worried.

Early weaning onto food is associated with increased risk of childhood obesity and allergies. Yes I'm aware that we were all given rice on our bottles from 3 weeks old but we now know the risks associated with doing it.

It's hard when you don't know why your baby is crying but I doubt very much it's because of hunger if he's feeding 10-12 times a day. Would you consider putting your baby in a sling or baby carrier? Some babies like the closeness of a sling/carrier. Baby massage may also help.

Both of mine cried a lot from 5-8 weeks and for no apparent reason.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,396 ✭✭✭ForestFire

Giving water to a young baby can be dangerous also and cause intoxication and I don't think this is the cause of your problem.

I would go along with reflux (Silent) but obviously best to talk to you GP/PHN

• Closed Accounts Posts: 301 ✭✭sari

I would see if he's crying for other reasons, tired, bored, in pain, maybe he just wants to be held.
    Giving rice in bottles is so dangerous and at 7 weeks old that is just so bad for your baby on so many different aspects.
    Does your baby drink bottles very fast? Look up paced bottle feeding and maybe try this.
    At that age the only foods a baby should be having is breastmilk or formula.

• Advertisement
  • Administrators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Neyite

I second everything January says.

My partners mother put rice in his bottles from 6 weeks. He had childhood asthma, to the extent that dairy and toothpast would set him off on an attack, sometimes requiring medical attention. He has, and continued to have allergies, and was an overweight toddler.

It's contriversal because its stupid advice.

Look at Wonder Weeks - your baby is smack bang in the middle of an emotional growth spurt and they are usually a bit more fussy in these spurts. There is an app that you can get or you can look online. It might be another potential reason for the crying. I found it very useful.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

ForestFire wrote: »
    Giving water to a young baby can be dangerous also and cause toxic build up and I don't think this is the cause of your problem.

I would go along with reflux (Silent) but obviously best to talk to you GP/PHN

Wtf is "toxic build up"?

pwurple wrote: »
    Wtf is "toxic build up"?

I am advising to get advice from GP or PHN befopre giving baby water.

Everwhere I read advises NEVER to give water to a baby under 6 months, unless required for a medical reason (Dehydrated, Constipate etc.) and after 6 months only sips of water.

Here are a few examples from a quick search.

http://www.babycenter.com/404_should-i-give-my-newborn-water-or-sugar-water_10012.bc

http://consults.blogs.nytimes.com/2009/08/19/is-it-safe-for-babies-to-drink-water/?_php=true&_type=blogs&_r=0

http://www.parents.com/advice/babies/feeding/when-can-my-baby-start-drinking-water/

http://www.tommeetippee.co.uk/support/weaning/when-can-i-give-my-baby-water/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,773 ✭✭✭Synyster Shadow

My PHN advised me from the early weeks to try get water into Jack as it would help bowl movements. She said put a little extra in his milk bottle too if he wouldn't just drink it. I wasn't told it was dangerous at all.

My PHN advised me from the early weeks to try get water into Jack as it would help bowl movements. She said put a little extra in his milk bottle too if he wouldn't just drink it. I wasn't told it was dangerous at all.

I think people need to consider each case individually and consult there GP/PHN as you have. We gave our baby some sugar and water (0.5 - 1oz) on 2 occasions to help with bowl movments (2/3 days no movement) and I think this is fine.

I think you need to be carefuly as to why you would give a baby water. Giving a baby water beacuse they are drinking a lot a milk without understanding why is not safe in my opinion.

Why is the baby drinking so much? Growth spurt? Reflux (Drinking for comfort) or other reasons.

To give a baby water for this reason without understanding the cause is not safe in my opinion and needs to be check by GP/PHN.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,948 ✭✭✭Sligo1

I think what is being referred to
    Is 'water intoxication' which babies can develop if given too much water. It can cause babies electrolytes to be diluted. I don't believe sips of water would cause this tho...

• Registered Users Posts: 12,644 ✭✭✭✭lazygal

I breastfed both of mine. Both had very, very fussy times until at least ten weeks. At the early stages I would feed on demand, be it breast or bottle fed. Cuddle them when they cry and reassure them. Do not put baby rice in a bottle or give water (unless it is medically advised to do so). I don't think as many babies suffer from colic/reflux as people think. I see it trotted out all the time as a reason for crying. I think babies are getting used to the world and get overstimulated and need reassurance. Giving Infacol or other solutions, especially thickening formula or water, should only be done on medical advice. My experience is that both outgrew the intense fussy periods by about 12 weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,339 ✭✭✭How Strange

Op do a google search with fussy 7 week old and see how many hits you get from all sorts of parenting websites. You're most definitely not alone.

We went to Donegal for a week when my daughter was 7 weeks old. She seemed to spend 20 out of 24 hours every day screaming. She continued being in some fashion or another up to 12 weeks.

I agree with the points about the wonder weeks and overstimulation.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

I had 2 starving babies and they did not take near that amount of milk.
    Talk to your gp and PHN it sounds like there maybe an underlying issue that you should get dealt with.
    Over feeding can lead to other health issues.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,284 ✭✭✭Chattastrophe!

I know this is a controversial issue but I was wondering what are your opinions/experiences with mixing baby rice into formula? My LO is 7 weeks old and he is taking 6-7 oz of extra hungry formula 10-12 times a day. By the time he finishes his bottle and is winded, there is only 30-45 minutes of a break before he's crying for food again. My mam was telling me to try a tiny bit of rice in his bottle, I think he's too young but she says that she gave it to me and all of my siblings from 4 weeks. Am I right and if so, is there anything else I can try to fill my baby for longer?

My baby is almost eleven weeks old ... he takes maybe 5oz of regular formula six times a day ... his weight gain is exactly spot on for his age, he's in exactly the same percentile as when he was born.

I'd definitely be talking to your GP about that ... it seems like an awful amount to be feeding, to me anyways! I'm only new at this though!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

my wifes GP on our first baby advised an ounce of cooled boiled water with the tip of a spoon of brown sugar.

Its useful if the baby has a lot of colic or is a bit dehydrated (greenish nappies)

Would definitely disagree with rice in formula. Your mam probably didn't use formula.

Our second is a bit like yours. He was taking 5 ounces at 2 months and often taking a feed every 2 hours. He's on up to 7 oz now at 3 1/2 months. For a while it was feed him, wind him, have 10 minutes off and start over again :D He's growing out of it.

We checked it with the GP and was advised against hungry baby formula as it can be too thick and cause constipation. She said that once he's healthy and growing, he's fine. He was 16 lbs at his last check up and 26 inches long.

We now have to contend with teeth. He got 2 at 3 months.

I am advising to get advice from GP or PHN befopre giving baby water.
    Right, but you also said water can cause something which sounds terribly scary.

Toxic Buildup.

What is that? Because i've never heard of it.

Right, but you also said water can cause something which sounds terribly scary.

Toxic Buildup.

What is that? Because i've never heard of it.

Someone suggested giving water to the baby as a solution to the baby drinking to much milk. This would therefore be on a regular basis for a young baby.

I have said I would not recommend this without consulting gp or phn as water can be bad for a young baby. This is my opinion form what I have read and researched.

I have since posted several links to information on why this is not recommended. Have you read these?

Just because you haven't heard about it doesn't make it okay. Just because I don't think it a good idea doesn't make me right either. That is why I said talk to gp phn about it and see what are the possible reasons.

I don't think the op should blindly follow any advice on here. Take in the info available and consult the experts.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,729 ✭✭✭Millem

Did PHN put baby on hungry formula? How many ozs is your baby drinking over 24 hours? My mum put rice in my siblings bottles too, some people gave their children on normal cows milk! The things they did back then were a bit crazy! But they have done a lot more research since then on formulas and you aren't allowed do these things anymore! On another thread I read about a thickener you can buy to thicken you the milk but I don't know anything about it! I would ask PHN! I have a hungry baby at 6 weeks he was getting 5oz bottles (PHN told me to offer him 6oz! He is nearly 10 weeks and is known to guzzle 10oz but when you add up total he gets maybe 8 oz over. PHN said this is fine but never suggested hungry baby formula.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 311 ✭✭Silverbling

My baby was spoon fed rice at 7 weeks, it was a short term solution for 3 weeks under the supervision of the gp.

At the time I was terrified it would harm her but she is 8 now and very healthy. I would not try anything with such a young baby without seeing a GP first, even though my daughter was drinking gallons of formula she was losing weight too fast so she was spoon fed while we made the transition to goats milk formula, once the weight went back on she was taken off the food

• Advertisement

I have since posted several links to information on why this is not recommended. Have you read these?

Just because you haven't heard about it doesn't make it okay.

I read those, question is did you... Because, Um, None of your links defined anything called "toxic buildup" either?
    Can you give me one that even mentions it?

I am not a fan of scaremongering or making up conditions which sound scary for new parents.

I read those, question is did you... Because, Um, None of your links defined anything called "toxic buildup" either?
    Can you give me one that even mentions it?

I am not a fan of scaremongering or making up conditions which sound scary for new parents.

I am not scaremongering and at most I have misused toxic build up with intoxication.
    I am not a doctor or expert that is why I continued to say to get advice from gp phn before giving water to a baby.

Bottom line is all articals say not to give water to baby under 6 months.
    This can be very dangerous to a baby, whatever you want to call it.

I have supplied articles which talks about this and intoxication. I appolagise if the use of words was wrong but the message is the same.

You seem to be only interested in my post and the use of one word with no advice for the op.
    I have clarified my post several times and will not be responding to you again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 301 ✭✭sari

I had never heard of this water toxicity did a google search which brought up a huge number of articles from reliable sources on the issue. Seems it is a very real problem and something which can happen if you give a young baby water regularly. Didn't take long for me to find out that what the poster was talking about is very real and not scaremongering

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

sari wrote: »
    I had never heard of this water toxicity did a google search which brought up a huge number of articles from reliable sources on the issue. Seems it is a very real problem and something which can happen if you give a young baby water regularly. Didn't take long for me to find out that what the poster was talking about is very real and not scaremongering

Can you provide links to these reliable sources.?

I've had 2 gps say an ounce of water once a day is OK.

I am not scaremongering and at most I have misused toxic build up with intoxication.

Maybe english isn't your first language, but there is a massive difference between those two things. Toxic build up sounds like you are poisoning your baby. Intoxication is a completely different scenario.

Words and their meaning are extremely important, especially if you are using them to make very strong claims about how people care for newborns.

If you actually wanted to clarify your post to mean something other than what you wrote, then there is an edit button. Message board posts show up on internet search results for decades.

Can you provide links to these reliable sources.?

I've had 2 gps say an ounce of water once a day is OK.

Google "baby water Intoxication"

http://www.google.com/search?q=baby+water+Intoxication&rls=com.microsoft:en-ie:IE-SearchBox&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&sourceid=ie7&rlz=1I7AURU_enIE499

Can you provide links that say it is safe to give a 7 week old baby water on a regular basis?

I not sure why people have an issue with highlighted this fact, and suggesting to talk to GP or PHN before giving a baby water, or even to determine what is the real issue with the baby drinking constantly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,391 ✭✭✭fro9etb8j5qsl2

My phn told me to give the baby a bottle of cooled boiled water every afternoon to help his wind and she never mentioned toxicity :confused:

He is definitely hungry and not bored/overstimulated/ fussy. It was the phn that advised me to give him the hungry milk. Reflux and silent reflux have also been ruled out. I asked my gp last week because we were worried that we were overfeeding him but the doctor said it's not possible to overfeed a baby of that age. His weight gain is within the average range, he isn't very big or chubby but he has gotten quite long so the gp says maybe that's why he's eating so much (growth spurt etc). Either way, the dr says to keep feeding him when he's looking for it and hopefully it's just a phase that will pass.

As for the rice, I pretty much figured that he is too young for it. Of course my mother was towing the 'back in my day' line but then again, I have an uncle who was only given cows milk who suffers from asthma and I have a sibling with severe asthma and dairy allergies, who knows if it was caused by early weaning?

Thanks for all the advice, I won't be giving him anything other than milk for another while. I guess I'll just have to put up with the constant feeding and hope that it's just a passing phase :)

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

Closing this thread.
    OP please go talk to gp or PHN.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement