Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

'Averted'

Options
  • 26-03-2014 1:46pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 429 ✭✭

Hearing this used quite often, only this morning by Willie O'Dea and others.

He used a sentence in which he said,and this is not exact ,only to give the example .

"The AG also averted to that statement"

I always thought it should be 'averred'?

No doubt someone will put me right.:P

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭tac foley

Hearing this used quite often, only this morning by Willie O'Dea and others.

He used a sentence in which he said,and this is not exact ,only to give the example .

"The AG also averted to that statement"

I always thought it should be 'averred'?

No doubt someone will put me right.:P

You are 100% correct.

'Averted' means 'avoided' by means of some kind of action, as in 'because of his bravery a disaster was averted'.

'Averred' means to declare or assert, as in 'Many scientists aver to the contrary but science is not decided by consensus'.

tac

• Closed Accounts Posts: 429 ✭✭Evan DietrichSmith

Not often I am 100% correct.

Now to start a campaign to make the great unwashed aware:D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,055 ✭✭✭Red Nissan

Not often I am 100% correct.

Now to start a campaign to make the great unwashed aware:D

My new word and meaning for the day.

I aver though, that I shall probably have forgotten it my morning time, to avert that, I shall bookmark this page.

Red Nissan wrote: »
    My new word and meaning for the day.

I aver though, that I shall probably have forgotten it my morning time, to avert that, I shall bookmark this page.

Good man now maybe you might tell your mates to stop saying 'left' when it should be 'let'.

You would be doing me a big favour there.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 12,089 ✭✭✭✭P. Breathnach

• Advertisement

Thanks P, maybe you will explain what 'adverted' has to do with the topic under discussion

Editing now, P I see now what the connection is ,well spotted,maybe averted is a colloquial derivation of what we speak of

I am not happy with 'averted' though.

I wonder if Willie said "adverted" and you heard "averted". His diction is not the best, and I infer that "advert" is a verb that you do not use a lot.

I wonder if Willie said "adverted" and you heard "averted". His diction is not the best, and I infer that "advert" is a verb that you do not use a lot.

I won't say it's not possible but I don't think so,almost sure he said 'averted'
    However now I can see where this might come from.

I'll keep a watching brief!!

I'll keep a watching brief!!
    A listening brief might be more efficacious.

A listening brief might be more efficacious.

2-0

• Advertisement
Advertisement