Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

two seedlings per seed? spinach

• 26-03-2014 1:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5

Hi everyone, I have done a bit of googling on this, and haven't found the info I was looking for.
    This is my second year growing spinach, last year went pretty well.
    So I used the same approach, that is...

1) Buy a cheap ready made propagator kit (one of those ones with the little small sacks of compost in them, that has a clear plastic cover you put over the top).

2) Put one seed of Perpetual Spinach (Leaf Beet) in each sack. Water. Add lid. Put on window sill.

3) Two weeks later move outside into big pots that will contain the fully grown plant.

Problem is this year, I have four double seeds.

What should I do with the doublers? Separate them? And if so, how and when?

Is this normal? I put one seed per sack in twelve sacks all in all. Six produced seedlings "normally", four produced two seedlings, while two produced none.

Any replies very much appreciated. Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 292 ✭✭Souness

Only ever grown true spinach so not sure if seed come in clusters for beet leaf. Should say on the seed packet. Or were they coated with thiram or other germination assisting substance? Could be that they were not single seeds but doubles bound together by coating. In any case you should thin to one seedling. You can try and transplant the other but spinach does not transplant well.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 helloiamoxygen

Thanks for the reply Souness, doesn't mention anything about clusters or thiram on the pack. The brand name is Carter's and it also says that they are tested seeds.

Advertisement