Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Defence Forces recruitment in 2015?

Options
  • 26-03-2014 1:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 32

Does anyone know if the Defence forces are recruiting in 2015. I'm sure I won't pass the fitness test next week and hope I can train hard for a year and fly through it and be better set for the physical demands the military.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,073 ✭✭✭Xios

Malabeans wrote: »
    Does anyone know if the Defence forces are recruiting in 2015. I'm sure I won't pass the fitness test next week and hope I can train hard for a year and fly through it and be better set for the physical demands the military.

No one knows, Do the test anyway, practice this week, just focus on the correct form of the push ups/crunches, if you can get 10 of each with proper form, you might just push it hard enough on the day.

As for running, best just do three fast runs this week, try reach as close to the time as possible. Make sure you warm up and do proper stretches, you can't risk injury.

Also, i heard (just hearsay) that there might be another recruitment drive over the summer.

• Registered Users Posts: 32 Malabeans

I can't see myself getting to 20 pushups but who knows how it'll go on the day haha thanks for the advice. Hopefully there'll be another few places coming up during the summer. I'l just keep training every week as if there will be. Thanks again.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,443 ✭✭✭jobeenfitz

Anyone who has already got a date for fitness test, can I ask how were yee contacted? Email or Phone. My son has applied and has not heard anything yet.
    Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,034 ✭✭✭✭It wasn't me!

Got the email about two days after I applied giving the details of the fitness testing, had about two weeks lead time for that.

I got my date 2 days after I applied and it's for the same day next week. Thought I'd have more time to get myself in shape :(

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,396 ✭✭✭Frosty McSnowballs

I got my date 2 days after I applied and it's for the same day next week. Thought I'd have more time to get myself in shape :(

Have you tried the fitness test yet?

Have you tried the fitness test yet?

Yeah I have and I can't run 2.4km, I've got my pressups and situps up to 20 in under a minute though. It's only my cardio I need to get up to pass the test, but that will take a month or two. I still have a lot of work to do so that training isn't an ordeal and ruins the experience.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,396 ✭✭✭Frosty McSnowballs

I suggest turning up and doing it anyway It will be good experience if you go again next year.

Man up, turn up, bust your bollox trying. That's all anyone can ask!

I suggest turning up and doing it anyway It will be good experience if you go again next year.

Man up, turn up, bust your bollox trying. That's all anyone can ask!

That's exactly what I was going to do. Hopefully I'll be able to push myself hard enough on the day but if not, I'll know exactly what I need to achieve.

Hopefully they will be recruiting next year.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,791 ✭✭✭2Mad2BeMad

That's exactly what I was going to do. Hopefully I'll be able to push myself hard enough on the day but if not, I'll know exactly what I need to achieve.

Hopefully they will be recruiting next year.

2.4k is not hard
    when ever your fitness test is
    lets say your really unfit and can't run 100m without nearly collapsing

heres my advice depending when your fitness test is

lets say 2 weeks, go jogging every morning (leave no rest days as your not trying too run 5km or 6km)
    don't eat any fat (unless its good fat) don't eat any sweets chocolate etc... until after your fitness test
    aim too beat a 3km jog, every morning. Push yourself hard, at first you will feel like your dying but every morning you will be able too push yourself futher and further.

The day before your fitness test, take a rest
    then on the day your adreline will kick in, it will make you run abit faster and it will keep you going the extra bit, then just push it keep saying too yourself while running that you want this, this is the life you want.

Maybe just maybe you will pass it :) the body is a great thing you just have too train it into the thing you want too be and it will listen too you if your good to it :D (My personal trainer told me that, sounds abit gay but whatever:pac:)

• Advertisement

2Mad2BeMad wrote: »
    2.4k is not hard
    when ever your fitness test is
    lets say your really unfit and can't run 100m without nearly collapsing

heres my advice depending when your fitness test is

lets say 2 weeks, go jogging every morning (leave no rest days as your not trying too run 5km or 6km)
    don't eat any fat (unless its good fat) don't eat any sweets chocolate etc... until after your fitness test
    aim too beat a 3km jog, every morning. Push yourself hard, at first you will feel like your dying but every morning you will be able too push yourself futher and further.

The day before your fitness test, take a rest
    then on the day your adreline will kick in, it will make you run abit faster and it will keep you going the extra bit, then just push it keep saying too yourself while running that you want this, this is the life you want.

Maybe just maybe you will pass it :) the body is a great thing you just have too train it into the thing you want too be and it will listen too you if your good to it :D (My personal trainer told me that, sounds abit gay but whatever:pac:)
    I managed to get 2.3k in 9 mins today :D Just 100m to go by Wednesday, I've been pushing myself all week. On Monday I could barely run 700m but I've been running all week and didn't think it would pay off this fast. Still can't believe I ran 2.3km.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,791 ✭✭✭2Mad2BeMad

I managed to get 2.3k in 9 mins today :D Just 100m to go by Wednesday, I've been pushing myself all week. On Monday I could barely run 700m but I've been running all week and didn't think it would pay off this fast. Still can't believe I ran 2.3km.

good stuff man, well able for the run
    don't forget too rest the day before and eat alot of protein.
    Have a decent breakfast 2-3 hours before you head off for the test
    2.3km in 9mins is good so if you think about 2.4km in 9mins30sec? I'd say you just be about under 9minutes for the whole thing once the adrenaline kicks in :D

2Mad2BeMad wrote: »
    good stuff man, well able for the run
    don't forget too rest the day before and eat alot of protein.
    Have a decent breakfast 2-3 hours before you head off for the test
    2.3km in 9mins is good so if you think about 2.4km in 9mins30sec? I'd say you just be about under 9minutes for the whole thing once the adrenaline kicks in :D
    Thanks :) definitely feeling more confident now, just need to clean up my pushups and work on my breathing when running to get me through the last 100m.

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭Irishboy!

Thanks :) definitely feeling more confident now, just need to clean up my pushups and work on my breathing when running to get me through the last 100m.

did you pass in end?

• Registered Users Posts: 217 ✭✭SIRREX

Going on previous experience there may be 4 or 5 intakes of recruits over 2014 & 2015, but they will all be from the panel put together as a result of the current recruitment campaign.
    Those taken in during the last few months of 2013 were all interviewed and tested in 2012, they just had to do medicals and repeat fitness tests before swearing in.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 Ben Matter

I'm just wondering did anyone on here apply for the navy recruits and is still in the process?

• Registered Users Posts: 153 ✭✭danube

Ben Matter wrote: »
    I'm just wondering did anyone on here apply for the navy recruits and is still in the process?
    There is already a thread on this. Go to "Naval competition 2015"

• Registered Users Posts: 28 Boscorelli

Any one know the format for stage 3 verification testing? Is it harder or much the same?

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭Chalkyw91

Boscorelli wrote:
    Any one know the format for stage 3 verification testing? Is it harder or much the same?
    It's the same I'd imagine

• Registered Users Posts: 28 Boscorelli

Chalkyw91 wrote: »
    It's the same I'd imagine

Cheers..hopefully it won't be too different.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭Chalkyw91

Boscorelli wrote:
    Cheers..hopefully it won't be too different.
    Go over to the Permanent Defence Forces Recruitment 2015 thread more info there

Advertisement