Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish Film Institute

• 26-03-2014 1:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 12,898 ✭✭✭✭

Hi, I'm going to a screening at the IFI tonight for the first time. I'm just wondering what others think of it as a venue and is it any different from any other cinema?

Also, I got my tickets online so is the ATM easy to locate?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,846 ✭✭✭✭Liam McPoyle

Personally I like it. Depending on the screen it can be a bit cramped but it's got a decent bar, decent food and is easy to get to.

If you pre-bought tickets just go to the booth and they will swipe your card and give you the tickets.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,464 ✭✭✭e_e

The ATM is just outside the men's toilets, to the right of the box office. You can also get your booked tickets at the desk too.

What screen are you going to? I like 1 and 3 but 2 can be a bit awkward, especially when crowded. The leg room can be a bit of a bother too but other than that they're consistently good in how they project their films. Way preferable to The Screen for me although I'd love if the chairs were as comfy as The Lighthouse.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,898 ✭✭✭✭Rothko

e_e wrote: »
    The ATM is just outside the men's toilets, to the right of the box office. You can also get your booked tickets at the desk too.

What screen are you going to? I like 1 and 3 but 2 can be a bit awkward, especially when crowded. The leg room can be a bit of a bother too but other than that they're consistently good in how they project their films. Way preferable to The Screen for me although I'd love if the chairs were as comfy as The Lighthouse.

I'll be going to screen 1. Any particular spot that you'd recommend for a good view or is it all the same?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,464 ✭✭✭e_e

The screen is a little high so near the back will give you the best view, but the front few rows tend to have better legroom so it's a bit of a trade-off. :P

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭Noise Annoys

Screen 1 is good. Screen 2 is not great - best view is up in the corner but that area seems to attract a lot of weirdos :)

And Screen 3 is awful. It has hardly any slope and the seats are quite deep so if someone sits in front of you the screen is partly obscured.

Overall though, I like the IFI - bar food is good value and the place is always buzzing. Since the Lighthouse re-opened though I've been going to that way more.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,678 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

Yeah, since the Lighthouse re-opened I only go the IFI if I have to. The seating is terrible and enough to put me off seeing 90+ minute films there.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,518 ✭✭✭Ciaran_B

Yeah, since the Lighthouse re-opened I only go the IFI if I have to. The seating is terrible and enough to put me off seeing 90+ minute films there.

I saw the reissue of Lawrence of Arabia in the IFI, all (almost) 4 hours of it. I felt like I'd crossed the desert myself by the end of it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,484 ✭✭✭username123

Generally I do love the IFI (I'm small so most seats are ok), but it's website is so phenomenally bad that I frequently miss stuff because I never realised it was on, or the site crashes so much that I gave up browsing or it returns spurious error messages that lead nowhere useful.

As for the venue itself, always find the staff a bit off putting, bit of a Fawlty Towers vibe, the customer is in the way. Top down problem as it's common through all staff.

But it does show stuff you just don't get elsewhere. And the carrot cake is yummy.

Advertisement